Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Trampas

miguelk wrote: »
    Yup, 18 miles as well, will be similar to you, prob go as far as mile 13 in walkinstown before doubling back to the start line then back along the canal to make up 18. Will be doing it Monday morning at first light though as not free at the weekend.

I doubt anyone is in the same boat as me but if you are stick it up on the group runs section!

Re- running the course - Is it worth it? Is it not very annoying crossing roads/traffic the whole time?

I am running with the other half who is doing the DCM also. She is hoping to do 4 hours also but I am a little bit faster than herself. I will be hoping 1.50 for HM while she 1.52/53 depending the day so not to much slower. I will be out early on Saturday to get into town and out again as parking around Crumlin again so few miles into town jump on course come back around to Crumlin maybe even walkinstown roundabout and head up towards red cow and back to Crumlin.

I want to run the hill out of chapelizod

• Registered Users Posts: 38 limoncella

murphd77 wrote: »
    Why would you need several bottles - you hardly put it back in the bottle after you're done!

Maybe I'm just weird but I don't like the thought of the one i rub all over my feet going on to other more delicate places :p If it didn't come deodorant stick style it wouldn't be a problem.
    tang1 wrote: »
    Sorry limoncella, had to giggle when i saw this!!
    Hey a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do...better than getting my feet chewed up or having horribly chaffed thighs... which has happened :eek: I put the glide anywhere two body parts touch to be safe :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Is anyone else just planning their whole life around running at this stage?? I think my girlfriend is going kill me if I mention I have to do a 20mile run this Sunday morning, Struggled through a 5mile run there after 10 yesterday and 5 the day before, these miles are starting to hurt and it always seems the shorter runs hurt the most...

Itll all be worth it though......This is our Olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 38 limoncella

doledude86 wrote: »
    Is anyone else just planning their whole life around running at this stage??

YES, I feel so antisocial and annoying especially since it's hard not to talk on and on about something that takes so much time. None of my friends are runners so it's probably really irritating to them. oh well...I least I know I need to lock myself away from everyone when the taper madness sets in ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Is anyone else just planning their whole life around running at this stage?? I think my girlfriend is going kill me if I mention I have to do a 20mile run this Sunday morning,

She won't kill you for the 20 mile run but probably for wanting to do nothing more than putting your feet up after :D (there's shopping housework to be done)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

God bless her - my wife is being very understanding and supportive with the running.

We've recently found out that we have a second child on the way (after about 4 years of trying !! long story for a different thread) and at the moment she is plagued with bad sickness. Morning sickness isn't accurate it's an all day one for her. So when I am heading out - especially for my long runs a good part of me feels bad that I should be helping her a bit more / looking after our first born. She though is very supportive - to the point that she will fling my running gear at me and tell me to get the £$%%^ out and get it done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bren69

don't know if it's due to the temperature drop the last couple of mornings but had my first experience of nipple chafing. 8 miles yesterday and only noticed the blood after i finished. put a couple of plasters on this morning but they didn't stick too well. need to get the razor out. anyone else have this?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Did my 8 mile run last night and have noticed my shin splints are starting up again :mad:
    I had it bad at the start of the summer but couple sessions with physio and it seemed to get rid of it. Only thing I can put my finger on is that I ran both the 4 mile and 8 mile this week at a faster pace than usual.
    Might give tonights run a miss and go for a swim instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

God bless her - my wife is being very understanding and supportive with the running.

We've recently found out that we have a second child on the way (after about 4 years of trying !! long story for a different thread) and at the moment she is plagued with bad sickness. Morning sickness isn't accurate it's an all day one for her. So when I am heading out - especially for my long runs a good part of me feels bad that I should be helping her a bit more / looking after our first born. She though is very supportive - to the point that she will fling my running gear at me and tell me to get the £$%%^ out and get it done :D

Congrats PM, another little supporter to cheer you on when your running, great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

bren69 wrote: »
    don't know if it's due to the temperature drop the last couple of mornings but had my first experience of nipple chafing. 8 miles yesterday and only noticed the blood after i finished. put a couple of plasters on this morning but they didn't stick too well. need to get the razor out. anyone else have this?

Unfortunately this is something I have plenty of experience on as it began to affect me during our "summer" when it seemed to rain on every long run I did. I did a bit of research and discovered 2 tapes great for this issue: 3M Transpore clear and 3m Silk Durapore, both are used in hospital's, are completely water/sweat proof and should be available in a large pharmacy to buy. You may need to clear the area via razor first and wait till your in the shower to remove them!
    Another solution is one I found in the States on a recent holiday and are called "Nipguards", a hexagon shaped pad but dont think they are available in Ireland, UK yes,seemed to be as good but not better than the tapes after testing. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Congrats PM,kids are great.

I suppose this week wouldnt be the best time to tell her how you feel after 15 miles :D:D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Is anyone else just planning their whole life around running at this stage?? I think my girlfriend is going kill me if I mention I have to do a 20mile run this Sunday morning, Struggled through a 5mile run there after 10 yesterday and 5 the day before, these miles are starting to hurt and it always seems the shorter runs hurt the most...

Absolutely, living is about running these days, in a good way though, I feel so enthusiastic and upbeat about the whole thing - well, until about 9pm when I fade and look for my bed!! Def agree that the short runs are getting tougher, had a sluggish 5 miles this morning, but can almost taste the big day now, getting so close :D:D

Vaseline & loads of it does the trick for me, the plasters are nasty to take off after especially when its off a hairy chest -ooouuuucch:eek:. I was at a race recently & it was like the gun fight at the ok corral, everyone was reaching for their kit bags for a jar or it.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Saturday 9th June

Plan starting out this morning was a 10 mile LSR. When I was heading out it was wet and windy and didn't feel too warm so I put on my light running jacket. Was glad of the extra layer for the first two miles but was looking forward to dumping the jacket after that. Run planned was two loops of a 5 mile circuit that I had done a few times now.

First 5 miles went by very smoothly and dumped the jacket over the wall when passing our estate. Had done another half a mile before I noticed a large patched of red staining on my white tee shirt over my right moob. It looked like I had been shot! A quick peek under the t-shirt revealed the dreaded bleeding nipple that I had seen warnings for on boards. The annoying thing was that I had put body glide on them before going out. Obviously not enough!

At first I thought the damage was already done and I carried on. However, unlike my first lap around when I had meet nobody, there were people starting to appear and this made me much more uncomfortable. I decided to change plan and done a shorter second loop of two miles given me a total of 7 miles at 10:48 mins/mile pace.

Thats a total of 20 miles this week. Next week starting week 1 of Hal's Novice 2 plan.

Must look for some nipple guards now!

You just brought back some good memories there :rolleyes:. I have learned the hard way. Rule 1 - pre run rub with body glide or vaseline. I find body glide last that bit long and better for lsrs. Rule 2 - do not wear a white t-shirt when out for a LSR, your just asking for trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Congrats Pageant Messiah, that's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Congrats PM, exciting times ahead for ya ! I've got two (boys) of my own and they are great. They kill each other sometimes but they couldn't imagine life without the other around :pac:

Anyway, no work for me today so I got to do my running in the daylight !

19km done, and I have to say that these runs are feeling easier and easier all the time. Maybe it's just that I had more time today, and actually did a great stretching session and foam rolling before I hit the road. Whatever it was, this one felt sooooo comfortable.

Great day for it too, sun really beating down. I was almost glad to be running straight into a stiff wind at times :)

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/219464896

Thats great running for a mid week run jprender,its the bones of a half on a Thursday morning with plenty left in the tank.It looks like you will be hitting the big day in good shape.What sort of runs are you up to on the weekends? Sometimes I find that when youve a bit of time on your hands & youre not under pressure to be anywhere you seem to relax & enjoy it a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Congratulations! Better to be doing all the training now rather than after baby arrives! Another little one to cheer u on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

We've recently found out that we have a second child on the way :D

Congratulations, that's great news

Yes :eek: I find telling as wide a circle as possible that you're doing it means on any given day someone is BOUND to ask you how your training is going - bore them and get it out of your system before going home to your other half can save a relationship:p

Question, just how bad would it be at this stage of training to be going on nights out and drinking alcohol??? Seem to have a load of work nights out, hen party / wedding coming up over next 6 weeks....If I don't go overboard and leave any runs till at least next evening will it have much impact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

FiiFii wrote: »

Yes :eek: I find telling as wide a circle as possible that you're doing it means on any given day someone is BOUND to ask you how your training is going - bore them and get it out of your system before going home to your other half can save a relationship:p

Question, just how bad would it be at this stage of training to be going on nights out and drinking alcohol??? Seem to have a load of work nights out, hen party / wedding coming up over next 6 weeks....If I don't go overboard and leave any runs till at least next evening will it have much impact?

I found it hard to drink at electric picnic. i felt wrecked after a few beers. i was glad i did the long tun the night before i went cause there was no was id have been in the humour of doing it after weekend. id recommend doing the runs before the nights out. all the best intentions go out the window after a night out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

FiiFii wrote: »

I found it hard to drink at electric picnic. i felt wrecked after a few beers. i was glad i did the long run the night before i went cause there was no was id have been in the humour of doing it after weekend. id recommend doing the runs before the nights out. all the best intentions go out the window after a night out

Just in from an 8 mile run and had to walk the last mile and a half as a shooting pain up the front of my shin wrapping around my leg up to my hip. :eek: No idea what it was tried to run it off and funnily enough it wasn't as bad running as it was walking but sweet jebus did it throb when I stopped. :mad:

Guess I'll be shelling out for that physio after all hopefully nothing to serious seems to have subsided a bit thanks to my good friend difene gel. Rest up now and arrange an appt. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ouch. Hope it turns out to be nothing too serious, Leo.

murphd77 wrote: »
    Ouch. Hope it turns out to be nothing too serious, Leo.

Thanks man hoping it's just a strain doesn't feel to bad at the min but seriously annoying non the less. I'm gonna blame the good weather not being used to that big shiney hot thing in the sky I heard rumour they call it the sun. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

18m LSR tomorrow, around 1.30/2pm. Nervous as hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

rasher_m wrote: »
    I found it hard to drink at electric picnic. i felt wrecked after a few beers. i was glad i did the long run the night before i went cause there was no was id have been in the humour of doing it after weekend. id recommend doing the runs before the nights out. all the best intentions go out the window after a night out

Mmm, might try planning ahead and re-arranging my runs over next few weeks so. Luckily wedding on a step back week but still, 12 miles might be a struggle after a night of drinking and dancing... Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    18m LSR tomorrow, around 1.30/2pm. Nervous as hell...

Good luck with the 18 miler!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I'm 100% out of the DCM, with physio again this evening and he under no circumstances any running for 6 weeks. The plantar is taking longer than he thought to ease off, its still very enflamed and tender. I kind of made my peace with not running it, still sucks. If anybody fancies a free entry to Athlone Half Marathon on the 15th of this month give me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I'm 100% out of the DCM, with physio again this evening and he under no circumstances any running for 6 weeks. The plantar is taking longer than he thought to ease off, its still very enflamed and tender. I kind of made my peace with not running it, still sucks. If anybody fancies a free entry to Athlone Half Marathon on the 15th of this month give me a PM.

That sucks tang but forget about it now and put it behind you, get better and then set new goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Sorry to hear that Tang. What's for you won't pass you by. DCM'12 obviously just wasn't for you.

Advertisement