Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

tang1 wrote: »
    I'm 100% out of the DCM, with physio again this evening and he under no circumstances any running for 6 weeks. The plantar is taking longer than he thought to ease off, its still very enflamed and tender. I kind of made my peace with not running it, still sucks. If anybody fancies a free entry to Athlone Half Marathon on the 15th of this month give me a PM.

Sorry to hear that man but hopefully you'll be back better and stronger next year possibly a sub 3hour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I'm 100% out of the DCM, with physio again this evening and he under no circumstances any running for 6 weeks. The plantar is taking longer than he thought to ease off, its still very enflamed and tender. I kind of made my peace with not running it, still sucks. If anybody fancies a free entry to Athlone Half Marathon on the 15th of this month give me a PM.

:( sorry mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

unlucky man, sorry to hear that.. just getting back to training myself after my bout of plantar, 7 weeks. Missed too much training to go ahead with dcm. We will have to target a spring marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

FiiFii wrote: »
    Mmm, might try planning ahead and re-arranging my runs over next few weeks so. Luckily wedding on a step back week but still, 12 miles might be a struggle after a night of drinking and dancing... Thanks :D

Yeah, well some people are hardier than others. I mean I have never been much of a drinker anyway but I can say for sure that the last three concerts I've been to have been tarnished with tiredness from this running lark.
    I was glad on one hand getting the runs out of the way but sorry in another way that I was wrecked even before I went out.
    My advice would be to do the lsr two or three days beforehand cause the day before will have an impact on your night out too if you're anything like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Well tang at least now you can totally give your foot the rest it needs and not be worrying that the Athlone half might do further damage.
    I'm really sorry to hear it and you've been really supportive on this thread to everyone.
    Yourself and Wowzer should meet up when you're both fit and train for the Waterford half and Connemara marathon. I'd say you would bring each other on.

I hope my own running goes okay now as well and I don't get injured. I have a niggle around the inner ankle and it hurts if I try to run fast on the treadmill but not much if I'm out doors, just enough to be aware of it. I was thinking of you and hoping its not the start of the same problem.
    I went for a massage today and my calf was very tight and had loads of lactate acid buildup. I have an appointment with the physio on Saturday morning so I'll see then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Boo :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hey Guys, I'm really sorry to hear that a few of you have to bow out of DCM because of injury...but don't let that stop your marathon dreams....you have a great base build up now, so when 100% recovered, take up the spring Marathon training in Hal plans and keep the fitness up, aim for a Spring marathon and you'll have a ball because you be that bit more ready for it.

Heads up and if your heart is set on a marathon, then it will happen, when the time is ringt for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Corny and Tang, so sorry to hear you both have to bow out of the DCM, but as Anne says, you have a great fitness base and you will be in a great position for a spring marathon.

Pageant, congrats to you and Mrs Pageant, that's wonderful news. You will have something to look forward to now to beat the post marathon blues!

I am checking in from beautiful Lake Garda, ran 8 miles yesterday along the lake, just stunningly beautiful. I think if you had that route to run every day you'd have no problem dragging your butt of the couch! Ran 4 miles round the Colliseum and ancient Rome on Tuesday which was pretty cool except for the stupid rain I brought with me from Ireland!

Missed a short midweek run due to a touch of food poisoning, so might try and fit that in as a recovery on Sunday. Doing a 13 mile LSR tomorrow, swapped weeks around so I wouldn't have to do 18 miles while on hols. It's actually grand running here as long as you get out early in the morning, not as hot as I thought.

Off to Tuscany for a week tomorrow, bit worried about the runs there, those Tuscan hill towns are so called for a reason! Think I may struggle to find a flattish place to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

We've recently found out that we have a second child on the way..

Wahey, congratulations PM.

I think its great with a young family that you can look forward to the future knowing that you've got such an improved healthy lifestyle after taking up the running, and that hopefully you'll get to enjoy it all the better with the tots.

Well you're the life and soul of this group of newbies and I couldn't be happier for you ...well not until the end of October when you've a Marathon done, sure that'll really top it off.

You're progress has been remarkable, some people are aiming for higher goal times alright but remember they're probably coming off the back of soccer or hurling or whatever other sport so they are starting from a different positions. So relatively you're doing better than most who have taken up the sport in this group.

Keep up the good work and get to the line healthy and I've no doubt you'll reach your goal after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

RayCun wrote: »
    The pacers run the same steady pace from start to finish. The 4.30 gang will be running 10.17 a mile/6.24 a km all the way through, to finish in 4.29.30.

What will the pacers for the 5 hour group be doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mrs Noc wrote: »
    What will the pacers for the 5 hour group be doing?

11.26/mile, 7.06/kilometre

(You can use the McMillan calculator to find out what any finish time works out at per mile/km)

Younganne wrote: »
    Cause of Foot Blisters:
    Blisters on the feet are usually caused by friction, usually between skin and sock. Excessive moisture due to sweaty feet or wet conditions can also lead to blisters. Wearing runners that are too small or tied too tight can also cause blisters.

Prevention of Foot Blisters:
    To prevent blisters altogether, make sure your runners fit properly. Your runners should be at least 1/2 a size bigger than your normal shoe size, since your feet swell when you run. You should have a little room in your toebox.

Look for running socks or socks made of synthetic fabrics (not cotton!) such as Teflon or CoolMax, which wick moisture away from your feet, preventing the sock from bunching up and causing blisters. Also, buy socks with no seams and a smooth surface. Some runners wear double-layer socks created to deter blisters. (1000m socks) The idea with those socks is that any friction occurs between the two sock layers instead of your skin and the sock.

You can also spread Bodyglide or Vaseline on problem areas.
    But go easy: Too much and you'll be sliding around in your shoes.:eek:
    Don't remove calluses with a razor or emery board. The callused skin serves as blister protection for your feet, so if it's removed, you'll be more at risk for blisters.

Use Compeed or similar blister plaster on the blistered area and if prone to blisters put a blister plaster on before the blister develops using it as a preventive measure. If you do this, just make sure the plaster is applied smoothly (no wrinkles) and not too tight.

Treatment of Foot Blisters:
    If you already have a blister and it's not painful, just leave it alone, since the skin serves as protection. It will eventually break and the fluid will drain. If the blister is painful, then you should sterilise a needle in boiling water and once cool, carefully pierce the blister. Press the fluid out and use an antiseptic cream on it. Cover the area with a blister plaster to protect against infection and provide cushioning.

While running the marathon, if you develop a painful blister, stop at one of the first aid stations. They should be able to treat your blister and hopefully get you back in the race, running pain-free.;)

Once again, great advice from this site. I wasn't too sure about bursting a big blister, but after reading this I did and it has been much better.

RayCun wrote: »
    11.26/mile, 7.06/kilometre

(You can use the McMillan calculator to find out what any finish time works out at per mile/km)

Thanks RayCun for your swift response. I think this is the group for me. However, I'm a bit anxious about toilet stops (I know I'll have a couple) and then making up the time so I can rejoin the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Trampas

I feel for you guys who are out I just hope it doesn't happen to me.

I have had a few physio sessions over year with tears of mcl and sprained ankle which meant foot not slipping back into socket at the right angle but nothing as bad as yourselves.

1 thing I have learned is to understand my body more. I do RICE every time I feel something isn't right. Other half thinks I am crazy with the compression tape.

Resting up today for the 18 mile tomorrow but I don't feel it is as taunting to what I thought about a few months ago.

Trying for around 6.10 km pace which is around 9.55 mile.

HM next week so need to decide if an extra day rest is required towards the end of the week.

Created my charity page. Running for barretstown

Thanks RayCun for your swift response. I think this is the group for me. However, I'm a bit anxious about toilet stops (I know I'll have a couple) and then making up the time so I can rejoin the group.

If you are trying to catch up with a group, do it slowly. Plan to be back with the group after 2/3 miles, getting closer and closer over that time. Don't sprint to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Trampas

When do you stop drinking before the race?

Open to correct but you should be doing your hydration the days before a race/run instead of the morning of the run. I only sip a tiny amount on the morning so I have everything cleared before I head out but sometimes I have had to stop on a run but running on country roads makes it very easy to jump into a field to relive yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

DO NOT STOP YOUR WATCH WHEN YOU STOP FOR A TOILET BREAK!

A lot of you will laugh but there is a reflex action to stop your watch when you stop running, in the marathon especially in the latter stages, your brain does not do clever! ;)

+1
    And if you have a Garmin, disable AutoPause

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Mr Slow wrote: »

DO NOT STOP YOUR WATCH WHEN YOU STOP FOR A TOILET BREAK!

A lot of you will laugh but there is a reflex action to stop your watch when you stop running, in the marathon especially in the latter stages, your brain does not do clever! ;)

I'm glad you said that I betcha I would have done that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

saturdays LSR will bring me to over 700 miles run since jan 1st this year.

what a feeling!

theres about 200 miles till the marathon is done.

So between November and December, I have to run 100 miles to reach a goal of 1000 miles for 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Can someone tell me about how this Pace Group works?
    How do you know who to follow? Do they wear something that stands out? And are you guaranteed they they will finish in the time they set out for? Good idea ;-)

And for the Half Marathon next week how many groups are there?

Did my runs this week finished on 5m last night & the shins are both sore.. feels like shin splints coming back... can that happen at this stage? Can feel a tiny little tender knot in the middle of my shin I think.

Thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 7 aussie123

Lads need a bit of advice. Was planning on doing the DCM this year(Still am) I was doing alot of running up until 6 weeks ago Had completed a few 10k's P.B 41.13 and Half Marathons P.B. 1.37.56. But 6 six weeks ago I picked up an injury and have done very little training in the time. Hoping to get back into training in the next few days. Am I leaving it too late to complete it. Was hoping to do the DCM in 3.20.00 ish but at this stage I would be delighted to do a sub 4 hrs.

Can someone tell me about how this Pace Group works?
    How do you know who to follow? Do they wear something that stands out? And are you guaranteed they they will finish in the time they set out for? Good idea ;-)

And for the Half Marathon next week how many groups are there?

Did my runs this week finished on 5m last night & the shins are both sore.. feels like shin splints coming back... can that happen at this stage? Can feel a tiny little tender knot in the middle of my shin I think.

Thanks a lot

You can't miss the pacers they have big balloons attached to them that will be high about their heads with the time printed on them... they will run evenly timed miles to bring you home just under the time ie 4hr pacers will bring you home in 3.59.XX, 4.30 home in 4.29.xx, 5hr home in 4.59 etc, most people try to finish just in front of the pacers!!
    So the benefit of running with the pacers is that you won't start out too fast(unless you are with the wrong pace group), they will give help, supportand encourage and a wealth of their knowledge & experience along the way, they will lightening the atmosphere and make for a much more enjoyable run all round. and if you are doing well coming in nearer the end, they will encourage you to go ahead or encourage you to stick with it if finding it difficult or fighting your inner demons:D

Regarding your shins you should really be getting shin splints this far into the training unless you have missed a good bit and aretrying to catch up and increasing the mileage too face.

Now I'm not giving medical advice but i had a similar pain recently to shinsplints in my shin and it turns out to be a problem with my calf so the muscle is pulling on the shin bone..go to Physio and get it checked...

aussie123 wrote: »
    Lads need a bit of advice. Was planning on doing the DCM this year(Still am) I was doing alot of running up until 6 weeks ago Had completed a few 10k's P.B 41.13 and Half Marathons P.B. 1.37.56. But 6 six weeks ago I picked up an injury and have done very little training in the time. Hoping to get back into training in the next few days. Am I leaving it too late to complete it. Was hoping to do the DCM in 3.20.00 ish but at this stage I would be delighted to do a sub 4 hrs.

Give us a big more info and we'll see what we can do for you
    what was your last week of running mileage wise,what was your LSR mileage at, how many runs, when exaclty was it ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

aussie123 wrote: »

Aim to finish & forget about goal time, 6 weeks at this stage is bit to miss training wise. Ease back in slowly after your injury and dont try to make the miles you missed up. Sounds like you have good base built up, enjoy the experience and concentrate on a time for next one

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SligoL

So the benefit of running with the pacers is that you won't start out too fast(unless you are with the wrong pace group), they will give help, supportand encourage and a wealth of their knowledge & experience along the way, they will lightening the atmosphere and make for a much more enjoyable run all round. and if you are doing well coming in nearer the end, they will encourage you to go ahead or encourage you to stick with it if finding it difficult or fighting your inner demons:D
    QUOTE]

I think this is my main concern, that I will run with the wrong group (did it in the Clontarf half and it ended disastrously with a lot of walking!!) As much as I try, I don't tend to run very consistently, start with 5.20m/kms or so and drift between there and 6m/kms or so. Hopefully if I go with the 4h15/4h30 guys I'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Bad luck Tang, I've no doubt you'll be back in fine form next year :)

I'm a bit worried that I may be joining you. I took a niggle in my right heel - near the inside ankle yesterday and woke up this morning to it feeling much worse :mad: Not too sore but feeling strained. I'm trying to see a physio this evening...19 mile LSR planned for Sunday...not happy. I could probably run on it but am so afraid of making it worse :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Runchick wrote: »
    Bad luck Tang, I've no doubt you'll be back in fine form next year :)

I'm a bit worried that I may be joining you. I took a niggle in my right heel - near the inside ankle yesterday and woke up this morning to it feeling much worse :mad: Not too sore but feeling strained. I'm trying to see a physio this evening...19 mile LSR planned for Sunday...not happy. I could probably run on it but am so afraid of making it worse :(

Get it looked at Runchick before doing your LSR, don't make it worse as you said. Your approaching a critical stage in training and ignoring a niggle now could be costly.

Give us a big more info and we'll see what we can do for you
    what was your last week of running mileage wise,what was your LSR mileage at, how many runs, when exaclty was it ...

Here is info

what was your last week of running mileage wise = 37 Miles
    what was your LSR mileage at = 13 Miles
    how many runs= Per Week 4-5
    when exaclty was it 20th July

• Advertisement

Aim to finish & forget about goal time, 6 weeks at this stage is bit to miss training wise. Ease back in slowly after your injury and dont try to make the miles you missed up. Sounds like you have good base built up, enjoy the experience and concentrate on a time for next one

Thanks. Think I will take your advice.

Advertisement