Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Just back from very easy 2.4m run to test out my shins (side of calf) Not really sure where pain is! as I skipped run last night as area was very sore after Wed.
    Seemed ok when out but think an appointment with physio is required to get it checked out. Hopefully will be ok for LSR on Sunday..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Thanks a million for that Stephen. It was good to see the course like that I know it is 26 miles but it looked very long

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Runchick wrote: »
    The culprit could be my new runners. Totally wrong for my foot type. Although they are the same type of structured runner I was using before, physio reckons the old ones had lost most of their structure by the time I was doing the really long runs so didn't matter.

Anyone who hasn't had their shoes properly fitted please please consider doing so. I was definitely in the camp of thinking any shoe will do but have learned the lesson now.

I know what you mean about the runners. I got my new ones at a charity training day. They were properly fitted but the only ones they were selling was Adidas. I'd been using Asics but bought an Adidas pair. They are much heavier than what I was used to and that's when my problems with blisters started. Anyway, two months later I've gone out and got new Asics runners from a running shop that was recommended by a work colleague who has done a few marathons. Even with getting them fitted, I've discovered it's so important to get the right runners for you.

Mr Slow wrote: »

DO NOT STOP YOUR WATCH WHEN YOU STOP FOR A TOILET BREAK!
    ]
    I had thought of that and would have been tempted. I'll follow your advice!
    joe40 wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    Hope training is going well and for people on HH1 anyone looking forward to 16 miles this weekend. I previously used my car to measure distances for runs but at this stage I can't afford the diesel!!!!.

Try using the Mapmyrun website : http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/create/
    I have used it to calculate routes in London and Ireland. It's accurate.

I'm glad to be back in my usual routine (back at work, kids in childcare, one starting school etc) and following this thread. Like some of you have already mentioned, I'm starting to think and talk about running all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

If you go onto YouTube you can watch a video of the route & you'll spot a few hills.. worth watching anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsDbeA3EFa8&feature=youtu.be

Brilliant video. Thanks for posting it as I hadn't come across it before. It really hit home how long it is. However, it reassured me that, even though I haven't lived in Dublin for years, I recognised a good bit of the route. I intend driving it once on the Saturday or Sunday beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Just in having ran home from work - with a bit of a detour to make it up to the 8 miles the program demanded. Nearly stopped at 2k because of shin splint pain but once warned up pain went away. It struck me on the way home that I was running about a third of a marathon on the way home from work. For some reason this made a marathon seem a bit of an easier task. Will no doubt change my tune after Monday's 16 mile / 2 thirds ish marathon LSR. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

If you go onto YouTube you can watch a video of the route & you'll spot a few hills.. worth watching anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsDbeA3EFa8&feature=youtu.be

Deadly thanks Stephen :)

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Hey Martyoo here is a good article on it which may help but yea go to your physio to get professional advice too.

http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/search?q=plantar

Tang I was just reading back over the thread and saw this. Had a bit of a read and thought you might be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Just back from physio, I have a sprained ligament just under my ankle. No running for 7 to 10 days...ideally it would take 6 weeks to heal but we're gonna try to get me through DCM, so the plan will be to build up slowly and only do 2 more really long runs - one 16 and one 20 mile before the big day, gulp:-(

The culprit could be my new runners. Totally wrong for my foot type. Although they are the same type of structured runner I was using before, physio reckons the old ones had lost most of their structure by the time I was doing the really long runs so didn't matter.

Anyone who hasn't had their shoes properly fitted please please consider doing so. I was definitely in the camp of thinking any shoe will do but have learned the lesson now.

My DCM dream is hanging by a thread and I definitely won't be chasing an amazing time if I do make it! Good luck with the LSRs this weekend, when it gets tough just remember it could be worse, you could be injured;-)

I am the same runchick! Ankle damaged from a fall in a pothole.

Back from physio tonight, have a high sprain on the ankle, damaged a ligament. Need an x ray tomorrow to rule out any fracture or bone damage. Half is out next week and marathon is touch and go. Devastated :-(

Sorry to hear you're injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

No running for me for past 10 days on Physio's advice. Back this evening, foot alot improved. Going back on Tuesday for another treatment and then going to try a light run on Wednesday. Will make decision on wed or thurs. about the half. Fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear of all the injuries here, it sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Was bricking it about this week's LSR. Got a few good nights of sleep during the week and felt better for it. Had a fry at tea break to keep me going and finished work early, heading out at 2.40. Weather was just about perfect - dry, warm but dull. Decided on an out-and-back through a village out the road from home. Broke it down as 5m there, then a 4m run, then a turn, then another 4m run and 5m home. Felt great - iPod on, singing my head off out loud, just stuck to my pace. Passed the shop at 5m on the way out, no prob. Kept going to the turn and back to the village. Stopped for a bottle of water and headed for home. Finished my pack of jellies and popped another electrolyte tablet. Getting close to home I was still feeling good so I ran faster than marathon pace for the last 2k. Got home just ahead of target without having used any gels. Absolutely thrilled with how it went.

It did occur to me that before Edinburgh in May my longest run was only 1k longer, took a half hour longer and had me walking several times. That was 4 weeks out and today with 8 weeks to go I feel like I'm finally becoming a proper runner. (Although I've just driven 2 hours to Dublin and my backside is locked solid - and I've 3 hours tomorrow, 5 hours on Sunday and then turn around and go back to Dublin airport on Monday for a work trip)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Tang I was just reading back over the thread and saw this. Had a bit of a read and thought you might be interested

Cheers career_move, it was the first thing i found when my problem started. Being doing those exercises since.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

RayCun wrote: »
    11.26/mile, 7.06/kilometre

(You can use the McMillan calculator to find out what any finish time works out at per mile/km)

Am I right to say there's no 4.45 pacer group for the marathon?? Would love to go with them to keep the motivation up (long time running on your own..) and keep an eye on pace as have no Garmin but I'm falling between the groups...

McMillan has me at 4.32 but I think too optimistic and couldn't keep 4.30 pace for full marathon but the 5hr time above is my LSR pace - anyone else in the middle? Know advice is go with a slower pace group but as I'm much nearer the 4.30 than 5 thinking start with them and when tiring on latter half pull back a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Hi I've just found this thread couple days ago n just wanted to say how fab it is, I'm also new to running and am training for Dublin 12, it's great to read about everyone's progress n know not alone in all the aches/pains , sacrifices etc. I'm doing half marathon tomorrow but blister on toe from LSR last week so hopefully b ok. Keep up the great work everyone .

Back from physio tonight, have a high sprain on the ankle, damaged a ligament. Need an x ray tomorrow to rule out any fracture or bone damage. Half is out next week and marathon is touch and go. Devastated :-(

Ah jinx sorry to hear it. That's such crap news :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Just back from physio, I have a sprained ligament just under my ankle. No running for 7 to 10 days...ideally it would take 6 weeks to heal but we're gonna try to get me through DCM, so the plan will be to build up slowly and only do 2 more really long runs - one 16 and one 20 mile before the big day, gulp:-(

My DCM dream is hanging by a thread and I definitely won't be chasing an amazing time if I do make it! Good luck with the LSRs this weekend, when it gets tough just remember it could be worse, you could be injured;-)

No way Jinx! Sorry to hear that, it's not a nice feeling at all:-( I really hope we can both make it to the start line, fingers crossed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

niteowl1 wrote: »
    No running for me for past 10 days on Physio's advice. Back this evening, foot alot improved. Going back on Tuesday for another treatment and then going to try a light run on Wednesday. Will make decision on wed or thurs. about the half. Fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear of all the injuries here, it sucks!

It's heartening to read your foot has improved after 10 days niteowl. Best of luck with your recovery :-)

14.4 miles done this morn. Not a particularly long lsr and I wasn't going that fast. Av pace 10.23 m/m. But everything hurt...feet, ankles, knees, calves, quads, glutes. I knew there was nothing seriously wrong with me cause it was the same on Wed when I did a (crap) pace run. I had a cold bath when I came home and now I'm grand again but I'm a bit worried about the HM next sat. I was aiming for 1.45 but I'm not sure I'll be up for 8 m/m :confused::(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

14.4 miles done this morn. Not a particularly long lsr and I wasn't going that fast. Av pace 10.23 m/m. But everything hurt...feet, ankles, knees, calves, quads, glutes. I knew there was nothing seriously wrong with me cause it was the same on Wed when I did a (crap) pace run. I had a cold bath when I came home and now I'm grand again but I'm a bit worried about the HM next sat. I was aiming for 1.45 but I'm not sure I'll be up for 8 m/m :confused::(

How many miles have your runners given you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Sorry to hear that jinx, fingers crossed the xray wont show anthing serious and you can still make DCM. I feel your pain believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

FiiFii wrote: »
    McMillan has me at 4.32 but I think too optimistic and couldn't keep 4.30 pace for full marathon but the 5hr time above is my LSR pace - anyone else in the middle? Know advice is go with a slower pace group but as I'm much nearer the 4.30 than 5 thinking start with them and when tiring on latter half pull back a bit...

Mcmillan can be very optimistic for a projected marathon time, especially for a novice.
    It is 100% a very bad idea to go out a little faster at the start of a marathon with a plan of slowing down later. When you start slowing down, it will not be by choice and is likely to be a very painful experience (believe me, I have been there a few times) and that is not a good way to have a first marathon experience.

Even going a few seconds per mile too fast at the start can be the difference between running a strong race and walking/hobbling the last 10 miles. I'd say if you are intent on running 4:45, go out at that pace and try to keep it steady all the way through. You can alternatively go out with the 5hr pacers and push on with 10 miles to go if you are feeling good. I wouldn't advise going with the 4:30 pacers unless you intend to stick with them the whole way. If you are doing a Half in the next while and can run 2:00-2:05 then you should be OK for 4:30 in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

So this morning, I fully intended to head out for my 16mile LSR.

As I woke up, I turned in bed, and put a bit of pressure on my knee, and felt it twinge.. that was it for me. I decided there and then, that I'd rest up til Tuesday.

It was a tough enough decision, but I have to listen to my body. My physio can't figure out what's up, and is likely going to get my GP refer me for an MRI scan on my knee.

The LSRs are problematic because I have to go slow, whereas the faster I go, the pain disappears.

I'm not giving up, just taking a break for a few days while I stretch and foam roll the areas that still possibly *could* be causing the problem. I fully intend to do the half next weekend.

Frustrating is an understatement. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aoifo

Just back from 30k run, the longest i've ever done. I am completely shattered.
    Not sure it it was good or bad!:confused:
    Went i started it was quiet cloudy but when i got to around 20k the sun was out which didnt help, at 24k I got a really bad stitch and had to walk for around 100m, it was the first time I ever had to walk! The last 2k were really painful ran out off water and pretty much walked it.
    Positive sides-did 30k in 3hrs but cant get my head around that I will have to do another 10k plus to finish the marathon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Trampas

That was a tough 29km run. The heat from the sun was something else. Just over 3 hours.

Need to stop to buy another litre of water so I could pour some water over me to cool down. Filled up my bottles with most of the litre of water but felt like lead.

The hill out of chapelizord is something else. driven up it many of times but 1st time on legs and it is tough.

Felt like I bounced off the wall about 10 times but it will do me good.

Only a HM next week :rolleyes:

If the above is all over the place I do apologies but still wrecked.

I think a nap is in order. Until later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

So got up at 6 this morning for bfast and headed out for my 19m LSR at 8. Good to try this couple times before DCM to get used to it. Lovely morning for it and it was nice and cool. Going to head out early saturday morning more often.

I had a pretty bad run wed night with a few pains so I skipped thursdays run and done a bit of RICE on the areas. This worked a treat as it was not noticable that much this morning. The run went very well around the Kilkenny countryside, didnt struggle until the last mile or so but I still had some in the tank at the end.

Went to physio straight after then to see what the story with my quad and glutes as I was getting sharp pain in them now and again during the week. Good news is that they were just very tight and I should be able to sort it out easy enough. Delighted! :-D All set for athlone next saturday with hope of a PB.

Sorry to hear all the injuries around here seems to have really increased this week. I know how it can feel not being able to run as I thought I would of been in the same boat after physio today.

Keep the head up, for some of you the DCM is still very possible.

And for those that have been ruled out, there are plenty more marathons around that you can train for once recovered and you'll have an excellent base.

also must thank Mr Slow who recommended the gel arm strap, arrived during the week and worked a treat.

Now time to hit the couch!

About 450

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

About 450

Are you getting new ones before DCM career_move?

blockic wrote: »
    Are you getting new ones before DCM career_move?
    Yes went to place in Cashel a few weeks ago but didn't have too many runners in my size. I want to go to Amphibianking but its just finding time. Have to collect my sister from the airport next fri so might go then

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

LSR this morning of 18 miles, in a v slow 3 hrs 20, I seem to be getting slower but I found the heat to be punishing, especially in the last few miles where I had to walk a few times; my mind seemed okay and was saying keep going but I just kinda stopped... does that happen to anybody else? Eventually death marched back to my car! At this rate I dont think I be finishing the DCM in under 5 hours, what time do they close the course off I wonder? Anyway, no injuries thankgod even though I am feeling all the aches and pains; looking forward to a stepback and the half next week; my God I never thought I would ever think that 13.1 miles was something to look forward to..... bring on the cooler weather!
    Well done to all those who ran their lsr today, v warm

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

tang1 wrote: »

Sorry to hear that jinx, fingers crossed the xray wont show anthing serious and you can still make DCM. I feel your pain believe me.

Thanks tang. Good news that I've no broken bones or bone damage! Just rest,ice and painkillers for the week. But it means I can hopefully still complete the marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

lrak wrote: »
    LSR this morning of 18 miles, in a v slow 3 hrs 20, I seem to be getting slower but I found the heat to be punishing, especially in the last few miles where I had to walk a few times; my mind seemed okay and was saying keep going but I just kinda stopped... does that happen to anybody else?

It does happen, the only solution is a dose of HTFU! I'm not trying to take the piss, but the marathon is also a psychological test and on the day your body will be screaming at you to stop. The thing is, stopping doesn't make it any easier - you're going to suffer over the last few miles whether you're running or walking. A key part of the LSRs is also developing the mental toughness is to keep going when you've hit a bad patch. Like today. You just need to find some kind of mantra/technique to keep going - it's an individual thing, but something you need to find.

Advertisement