Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Trampas

lrak wrote: »
    LSR this morning of 18 miles, in a v slow 3 hrs 20, I seem to be getting slower but I found the heat to be punishing, especially in the last few miles where I had to walk a few times; my mind seemed okay and was saying keep going but I just kinda stopped... does that happen to anybody else? Eventually death marched back to my car! At this rate I dont think I be finishing the DCM in under 5 hours, what time do they close the course off I wonder? Anyway, no injuries thankgod even though I am feeling all the aches and pains; looking forward to a stepback and the half next week; my God I never thought I would ever think that 13.1 miles was something to look forward to..... bring on the cooler weather!
    Well done to all those who ran their lsr today, v warm

You will easily break 5 hours with if ran 18 miles in that time. It should be getting cooler over the coming weeks so that will help.

Just get the protein in asap and water as I say you like me lost a lot of liquids even though with the amount of water you drank.

It is crazy that we think a HM is nice short run.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

The Phoenix Park was like Grand Central Station this morning, runners everywhere from early, got there about 8.20 to try and beat the heat. An lsr of 16 miles, surprisingly best lsr so far. (EP last weekend had me tired all week) First time with running belt and it was fine. Funny passing the same people, everyone on their lsr's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I am the proud owner of a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 8....thanks to David in Brehon Sports in Cashel (who was probably not expecting to have to listen to my entire running history :D)

macinalli wrote: »
    It does happen, the only solution is a dose of HTFU! I'm not trying to take the piss, but the marathon is also a psychological test and on the day your body will be screaming at you to stop. The thing is, stopping doesn't make it any easier - you're going to suffer over the last few miles whether you're running or walking. A key part of the LSRs is also developing the mental toughness is to keep going when you've hit a bad patch. Like today. You just need to find some kind of mantra/technique to keep going - it's an individual thing, but something you need to find.
    I need some of that.....where can you buy it???:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cabbage11

macinalli wrote: »
    the only solution is a dose of HTFU! d.

While slightly inappropriate and not what you were expecting to hear I can pay testament to this, last week ran 4 miles and was completely beat, stopped at the side of the road for half an hour an done a lot of soul searching and then struggled back the 4 miles, from whence i had come Trained harder during the week and done 16 miles this morning in 2.14hrs. (which is good for me( This is my first marathon and realizing more and more that it is a mental battle The bad days should be used as motivation to drive you on the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

lrak wrote: »
    LSR this morning of 18 miles, in a v slow 3 hrs 20, I seem to be getting slower but I found the heat to be punishing, especially in the last few miles where I had to walk a few times; my mind seemed okay and was saying keep going but I just kinda stopped... does that happen to anybody else? Eventually death marched back to my car! At this rate I dont think I be finishing the DCM in under 5 hours, what time do they close the course off I wonder? Anyway, no injuries thankgod even though I am feeling all the aches and pains; looking forward to a stepback and the half next week; my God I never thought I would ever think that 13.1 miles was something to look forward to..... bring on the cooler weather!
    Well done to all those who ran their lsr today, v warm

My last LSR was similar and actually slower. 3 hours 5 minutes for 15 miles and I was crippled by the end.

Whilst I appreciate macinalli's sentiment of Harden The **** Up I think that you do have to acknowledge the fact that you're pushing your body further and further every week and that in itself takes guts and determination. I was in bits for the last 5k of my 13.1 mile LSR, then the last 5 K for my 15 mile run but the point was there was progress as it was 2 extra miles before I got into difficulty. The 5k I was in difficulty for required an enormous amount of will power to finish off. Sometimes you have actually hardened the **** up to finish the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Just back from a planned a 27.75km lsr but had to stop at 22.3km. I'm gutted I couldn't finish it. Totally exhausted in that heat. Not sure if I can do this. Felt the same way after my 14mile lsr a few weeks back but did a great 15 mile lsr last week. Ups and downs I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I am the proud owner of a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 8....thanks to David in Brehon Sports in Cashel (who was probably not expecting to have to listen to my entire running history :D)

Welcome to the Mizuno Wave Inspire 8 club! Have mine 2-3 months. Love them!

Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

My last LSR was similar and actually slower. 3 hours 5 minutes for 15 miles and I was crippled by the end.

Whilst I appreciate macinalli's sentiment of Harden The **** Up I think that you do have to acknowledge the fact that you're pushing your body further and further every week and that in itself takes guts and determination. I was in bits for the last 5k of my 13.1 mile LSR, then the last 5 K for my 15 mile run but the point was there was progress as it was 2 extra miles before I got into difficulty. The 5k I was in difficulty for required an enormous amount of will power to finish off. Sometimes you have actually hardened the **** up to finish the thing.

Thanks pagent messiah and indeed everyones feedback all worthwhile and I will take everthing on board. Thanks also for explaining what HTFU meant as I would be on the older side (43), I had to Google it and it said Hurry The F Up!!:D
    While I understand macinalli's post to me, I would say that I have never given up on anything in my life and I would consider myself mentally strong, but I have never ran 18 miles before in my life and it was a new experience, which is now in the locker for next time, As for mantra's, I live by this one: persistence beats resistance!

• Advertisement

When I'm struggling on a run I start counting. Someone told me that Paula Radcliffe repeatedly counts to a hundred so I tried that but it was hard work and I got bored so I just count to 4 in tandem with my footfall. Works for me anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Went to physio this morning and my tendon running along the calf is very tight which is cauing me a bit of ankle pain at times. He taped it up and i'm getting needles in it on Tuesday as its too tender to release by hand. He said I could run today and then rest up next week.
    Ran my lsr today and it was tough. Started out at a silly 2.30pm into the beaming sun but ran along the coast so had a nice sea breeze on the way out. Ran as far as Sutton cross and back to the Albert College park. Then stopped for water and two laps of the albert and back to my folks house.
    Nobody was there and my car keys were in the house so walked down to my sisters to sit down which was probably a good idea to loosen up.
    I did just over 20 miles but it was very slow. I'd say 3 hours 20 mins at the least. Anyway I'll see how the ankle is on Monday and if its not too bad then I'll try a few miles then and rest up for half marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Did my 26k lsr Friday and have since felt an old familiar intermittent sacroiliac problem causing some discomfort in my lower back and hips. Hoping a three day rest will settle it before a very slow easy set of midweek runs before the HM on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RunninChick27

I'm reading all these posts of people getting their lsr's in today and I am super jealous! You are all great! In my humble and very inexperienced marathon opinion you are all fantastic to be getting out and being able to do the lsr's today in that heat! I did a very enjoyable if slow 14.7 mile run last weekend in 2 hours and 5 mins, Surprisingly I felt grand and actually enjoyed it, HOWEVER about an hour after it I was hobbling around after aggravating ligaments in my ankle that I sprained in June, was at the physio on Monday and every time I have tried to run since I am in agony, I am so annoyed as I really hoped I could get the marathon under my belt this year and ticked off the bucket list, has anyone any miraculous tips about ankle injuries? I really am searching for some serious help and advice, I was doing so well exercise wise and had improved so much and now that I couldnt run for the week the fitness regime is gone out the window and I've been fairly down in the dumps about it since.....
    ankle cures? tips? Miraculous creams or potions for ligament problems anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I'm reading all these posts of people getting their lsr's in today and I am super jealous! You are all great! In my humble and very inexperienced marathon opinion you are all fantastic to be getting out and being able to do the lsr's today in that heat! I did a very enjoyable if slow 14.7 mile run last weekend in 2 hours and 5 mins, Surprisingly I felt grand and actually enjoyed it, HOWEVER about an hour after it I was hobbling around after aggravating ligaments in my ankle that I sprained in June, was at the physio on Monday and every time I have tried to run since I am in agony, I am so annoyed as I really hoped I could get the marathon under my belt this year and ticked off the bucket list, has anyone any miraculous tips about ankle injuries? I really am searching for some serious help and advice, I was doing so well exercise wise and had improved so much and now that I couldnt run for the week the fitness regime is gone out the window and I've been fairly down in the dumps about it since.....

Did your physio say it was ok to run on your ankle?? Have no cure injury wise but i was hoping to run DCM and training was going great but injury put me out. Maybe you should let your ankle heal correctly and not do any serious damage to it. Plenty of marathons to do after DCM you can do while properly fit and recovered.
    Probably not what you wanted to hear, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

It must be something to do with the increased mileage but everyone on here seems to be picking up injuries. I was out for 12k on Thursday with the intention of doing a 30k LSR today but I felt a sort of tightness behind my knee/uper calf area on the way around, not bad enough to stop but enough for me to notice it. I iced it & gave it a blast of one of those massage gizmos yesterday but it was still a bit tender today.I'll see how it is tomorrow before I make a decision about how far or if I'll go out at all but I'm half afraid to try it out:(:(
    I can appreciate how you guys that have had to pull out feel & I feel sorry for you to have to pull out at this late stage.I'm only hoping that its not my calf acting up again - for f**k sake, annoying would be an understatement:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Rest, icing and stretching is really all you can do for yourself. did the physio suggest any exercise or offer treatment to help things along? If not then get to another one. also if you have inflammation, my dad swears by volterole.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

menoscemo wrote: »
    Mcmillan can be very optimistic for a projected marathon time, especially for a novice.
    It is 100% a very bad idea to go out a little faster at the start of a marathon with a plan of slowing down later. When you start slowing down, it will not be by choice and is likely to be a very painful experience (believe me, I have been there a few times) and that is not a good way to have a first marathon experience.

Even going a few seconds per mile too fast at the start can be the difference between running a strong race and walking/hobbling the last 10 miles. I'd say if you are intent on running 4:45, go out at that pace and try to keep it steady all the way through. You can alternatively go out with the 5hr pacers and push on with 10 miles to go if you are feeling good. I wouldn't advise going with the 4:30 pacers unless you intend to stick with them the whole way. If you are doing a Half in the next while and can run 2:00-2:05 then you should be OK for 4:30 in my experience.

Doing the half next wk. Did Clontarf one in July in 2.09 but don't see myself taking 4 mins off that next week so sounds like 4.30 group not a good idea. Maybe I'll just see how feel on the day, whether start with the 5hr group or do my own thing... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

I'm in trouble with a toenail on my left foot. I cut it too short and after yesterdays lsr it seems to have dug into the soft tissue at the top of my toe. Really sore and the toenail looks like it's starting to come off.

Did my 18mile LSR yesterday evening in Phoenix Park, god was it tough:( Had to get the car NCT'd (all good!) and meeting friends in the evening so had to go at 4 and the heat was an absolute killer....Was throwing jealous looks at all the lucky people lazing around on the grass.......:p

Did it in just under 3.30 which is what I was expecting but very inconsistent. Have gotten into a nasty habit of stopping to walk for bout 30 seconds every couple of k - started using Endomondo and checking my lap times I can tell instantly which one's I took a break on. Would seriously improve my time if just kept going... Know for sure its mental not physical as my phone battery started to die towards the end so upped the pace so could keep the App going & last 2k ended up being my fastest so def had the power in my legs (just not in my head..:(). How do I get some of that 'HTFU' .....;)

Tried a GU energy gel at the halfway point and it def helped. Chocolate mint flavour and was absolutely gorgeous....... exactly like a melted dairy milk Mint Crisp so highly recommend to all you chocolate lovers out there, really perked up my run..:) Bit heavy though so spread it out over about an hr with lots of water

• Advertisement

Thanks folks for all the replies,
    I have zero patience with injuries, I would love to find the physio that clicks his/her fingers and cures all these niggles!!
    I was icing it and putting arnica gel on it and doing the exercises he gave me but it is still so sore.
    It is more sore now under the outside and underneath my foot which feels so strange and very sore.
    I haven't managed to run all week or weekend only to the cookie jar ;-( not helping my waistline!
    I am going back to him tomorrow for another session, what is so frustrating is it is my only niggle after that lsr last weekend I didn't have a single knot or niggle anywhere else until an hour after the run and the ligaments that I had sprained in ankle in june flared up again.
    I have gotten the voltarol out now and am going to try that now.
    Fingers crossed it works I have my heart set on DCM this year...

Npresto same thing happened me after the 10 mile run with the toenail!
    it was killing me I cut it shorter, I asked few people (avid runners) whether or not to just rip it off.. and everyone was unanimous that I should not under any circumstances pull off the nail!! Suffer the pain for a couple of days it will go black (this happened me!) and now its grand! Ugly looking but no pain at all in it!
    In fact when i mentioned it to proper runners they were like oh yea I've a few black toenails now it's all part of becoming a proper runner!! LOVELY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Just back from LSR, 16.1 miles in 2 1/2 hrs.
    Found it ok bar a niggly pain in the right corner of my left foot/ankle (right at bottom of leg where it meets foot)
    Good to get it done and happy my shins felt good all the way through.

Dublin Half marathon next weekend :)

FiiFii you are flying!! On a race day the crowd will keep you going every couple of k and you won't need to stop!
    I somehow managed the ten mile couple of weeks ago without stopping and It is so so hard to keep going especially when you are there on your own like! But you will, I find that if I carry a bottle of water and take a sip every couple of K or two and distract myself through the pain keep singing my favourite song in my head before you know it you've broken through into the next km and you are flying! Once you managed the 18 miles which is unreal long run, seriously just think about it 18 miles! You will carry though on race day and not need the little stops.... well done enjoy a well deserved rest day today!

FiiFii you are flying!! On a race day the crowd will keep you going every couple of k and you won't need to stop!
    I somehow managed the ten mile couple of weeks ago without stopping and It is so so hard to keep going especially when you are there on your own like! But you will, I find that if I carry a bottle of water and take a sip every couple of K or two and distract myself through the pain keep singing my favourite song in my head before you know it you've broken through into the next km and you are flying! Once you managed the 18 miles which is unreal long run, seriously just think about it 18 miles! You will carry though on race day and not need the little stops.... well done enjoy a well deserved rest day today!

Thanks for the motivation.. Will give the singing a shot in next weeks half and see if can keep me going - here's hoping it stays in my head and I don't start breaking into song in middle of race:p

Fingers crossed I'll be off my injured ass by next saturday and doing the half marathon too!!
    Sure break into song it will keep the others around you motivated too!! Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

I did my 16 mile LSR yesterday. I like to go about about 6/6.30am but yesterday started about 8.30. I was awake with little people at 6 so had some weetabix then. Trying to get into running a bit later in the morning so it won't be so different on race day.

It was a hot day in London and I'd to ring my husband to bring me more water. Also getting into using gels. Have used 2 different types. Someone on this site said, to get the miles in my legs and the speed with come. That's what I'm doing - covering the distances in the plan. I seem to be managing the blisters and the new runners are much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Fingers crossed I'll be off my injured ass by next saturday and doing the half marathon too!!
    Sure break into song it will keep the others around you motivated too!! Best of luck with it!

Hey RunninChick27 (cool user name btw ;)) Are you really hoping to do the half next week? I am resting an ankle injury I picked up last Thursday and physio reckons if I'm to give DCM a shot, I can't do any long runs for at least another 2 or 3 weeks. Are you not concerned that doing the half would put you out of the big one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Did my lsr this morning 18.1m, did it in 2:46 so was delighted with that. If I could keep it up I might squeeze a sub 4 hour marathon! First 3 miles were nearly as hard as the last, took ages to loosen up and find my stride and adjust to the bottle belt. Around 10 miles I wanted to stop but htfu kicked in and it passed. Took a gel at 14 and few jelly babies, it got me home. Had a bloody toe but nothing serious. Iced the legs after, the shins were sore. Had a hot bath too, cant face a cold one! I know people are finding it tough but keep going and stay positive! We will all have good and bad days. Listen to your body (and physio) and keep an eye on diet and sleep! Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

got myself up at 8 this morning after doing an 11 hour day yesterday! Went out for my 20mile, only got 4 runs this week due to other committments but delighted how today went slowed it right down and managed to get it done in 3:14:04 so time to put the feet up I think...

Advertisement