Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 RunninChick27

Runchick wrote: »
    Hey RunninChick27 (cool user name btw ;)) Are you really hoping to do the half next week? I am resting an ankle injury I picked up last Thursday and physio reckons if I'm to give DCM a shot, I can't do any long runs for at least another 2 or 3 weeks. Are you not concerned that doing the half would put you out of the big one?
    Yea I suppose I will have to wait off the half next sat although I am praying that some miracle will happen, I did 80 K on the bike this morning not an ache in the world and as soon as I stepped off the pedals there it was again pain in the ankle foot so will see what the physio says tomorrow.... How long are you/have you been out for with your ankle injury? It is so frustrating!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

Well I headed out for my first 20 mile run this morning feeing really nervous about whether i'd be able to do it (didn't get a lot of sleep last night with the worry) Had a slice of whole meal toast with marmalade about a half an hour before heading out and brought a bottle water with me. The weather was good, cloudy with very little wind and the run went great, it was my best so far and I felt the strongest I have ever felt doing a long run , I actually was smiling to myself at points and really enjoyed it (can't believe I'm saying that when a few weeks ago a 16 mile run nearly killed me but it just shows how far we are all coming ) I did just over 20 miles in 3 hrs 1 min so was chuffed with that. Didn't take any gels etc just a bit of water every now and then so I think I'll stick with this strategy - or will I need a boost for the last 6.2 miles ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Runchick wrote: »
    Hey RunninChick27 (cool user name btw ;)) Are you really hoping to do the half next week? I am resting an ankle injury I picked up last Thursday and physio reckons if I'm to give DCM a shot, I can't do any long runs for at least another 2 or 3 weeks. Are you not concerned that doing the half would put you out of the big one?
    Yea I suppose I will have to wait off the half next sat although I am praying that some miracle will happen, I did 80 K on the bike this morning not an ache in the world and as soon as I stepped off the pedals there it was again pain in the ankle foot so will see what the physio says tomorrow.... How long are you/have you been out for with your ankle injury? It is so frustrating!!!

Haha I did 40km on the bike this morning without any ankle pain but like you the pain came back once I was walking around. But i guess we are lucky we can jump on the bike, id go stir crazy without that. I've only been out since Thursday but had 2 weeks off training last month with a hip injury! Frustrating as hell!! Good luck with the physio, hopefully you get some good news:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

FiiFii wrote: »
    Did my 18mile LSR yesterday evening in Phoenix Park, god was it tough:( Had to get the car NCT'd (all good!) and meeting friends in the evening so had to go at 4 and the heat was an absolute killer....Was throwing jealous looks at all the lucky people lazing around on the grass.......:p

Did it in just under 3.30 which is what I was expecting but very inconsistent. Have gotten into a nasty habit of stopping to walk for bout 30 seconds every couple of k - started using Endomondo and checking my lap times I can tell instantly which one's I took a break on. Would seriously improve my time if just kept going... Know for sure its mental not physical as my phone battery started to die towards the end so upped the pace so could keep the App going & last 2k ended up being my fastest so def had the power in my legs (just not in my head..:(). How do I get some of that 'HTFU' .....;)

Tried a GU energy gel at the halfway point and it def helped. Chocolate mint flavour and was absolutely gorgeous....... exactly like a melted dairy milk Mint Crisp so highly recommend to all you chocolate lovers out there, really perked up my run..:) Bit heavy though so spread it out over about an hr with lots of water

The Gu gel sounds like one to try, where did you get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I can't believe how much has happened since I went away last Thurs.

Congrats PM on your fantastic news! You will have extra support now:)

I hate reading about people pulling out due to injury. It is devastating after putting in all the training. The upside though is that there are so many other marathons other than Dublin so take the advice from physio and rest up now, maybe cross train and aim for another one after Dublin.

I managed to get in a 4 mile before wedding on Friday. York is a really quaint town and it was fun to run somewhere new.

I didn't get back til 1 am this morning and had to run 16 miles today. I was dreading it so much after a hectic few days away with very little sleep.

I brought 3 gels with me and dropped 250 ml water bottles at mile 6 and 12 as well as bringing one with me. (afraid of dehydration after excesses of weekend)

The route I took had a few long hills that didn't seem too bad when I drove the route😳 but they proved a little tougher when running them.

My knees were complaining about the impact of the road but I battled on til the end. I hope they hold up for October. It's frightening when I think I have to run another 10 miles on top of what I ran today😲

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I've sat out the weekends run (for me it was only a 4 mile) as my legs / shin splints are still screaming at me since my 8 mile run on Thursday.

Due to do 16 miles tomorrow so I figured the best thing to do would be to let them recover a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Week 12 is ready to go.

Francp - you have been moved into the main group alphabetically (there's no need to continue entering yourself as a new runner)

Collectively we have broken 15,000 miles logged - will be at 25,000 kilometres when everyone has logged for the week just gone. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    The Gu gel sounds like one to try, where did you get them?

They're in Base2Race

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Did my 2nd ever half marathon today n was so pleased as felt strong all the way for 1st time ever in a race, usually I'm swearing to myself "never again" n asking myself why I put myself through it, got my pacing right so was fantastic , my time was 1.47 so for me was great n with that time I'm hoping to run Dublin sub 4 , which I never ever thought I'd even contemplate. Well done to all of u on your long runs n good luck for the week ahead training !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

New runner wrote: »
    Did my 2nd ever half marathon today n was so pleased as felt strong all the way for 1st time ever in a race, usually I'm swearing to myself "never again" n asking myself why I put myself through it, got my pacing right so was fantastic , my time was 1.47 so for me was great n with that time I'm hoping to run Dublin sub 4 , which I never ever thought I'd even contemplate. Well done to all of u on your long runs n good luck for the week ahead training !
    That was brilliant. Well done :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Did my 16mile run today early.So much better than last weeks run.was so deflated last week but feel marathon is do-able again. I'm so slow so it Took well over three hours but felt good. listened to audio book which really passed time.Home then to celebrate my little ones first birthday and cater for about twenty five people. Busy day but very happy!

That was brilliant. Well done :D
    Thank you !

Thank you !
    Did you pace yourself....? I think you may need to write a race report...:D

dechol wrote: »
    Did my 16mile run today early.So much better than last weeks run.was so deflated last week but feel marathon is do-able again. I'm so slow so it Took well over three hours but felt good. listened to audio book which really passed time.Home then to celebrate my little ones first birthday and cater for about twenty five people. Busy day but very happy!
    That's great we'll done, amazing how some days u feel it all goes so wrong n it seems virtually impossible n others when u get pacing etc right it goes so well n boosts ur confidence again. I did a 10k 12 days ago n I felt so awful, was soo fast n I was so deflated n thought I'd never b able for the marathon as it nearly killed me, was a very competitive race n everyone flying past u all the way is demolalising, was out of breath all the way and can't say I enjoyed a min of it, was just too fast. Did 20m LSR las weekend n enjoyed it , obviously was a lot slower 3.25, but restores confidence, was dreading half marathon today but went well, didn't start too fast so much more confident tonite! Well done on your run!

Thank you !
    Did you pace yourself....? I think you may need to write a race report...:D
    Yeah stayed between 8 n 8.30 mile paceexcept for las mile was 7.45ish (averaged 8.11 overall) , took a gel at 6m, n sucked on a barley sugar sweet, had a bottle of powerade too but only drank a little of it, drank water at few stops. The support was good too, was v wet though n quite cool which wasn't necessary a bad thing! Thanks

Had a tough lsr on sat. Everything hurt. Did a 4m rec run today @ 12.30 m/m and one of my right calf muscles was pretty sore. Did the rice thing and had a hot bath. Don't have THE STICK unfort but did 2x 10min on a vibroplate specifically targeting my calves. Its almost 90% perfect but I'm wondering about next weeks training and the HM. Would I be better off resting instead of running during the week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Ye all make me SOOOO sick giving out about running. Well done all with the running over the weekend, wish i was with ye. For those running the Athlone Half next weekend i've volunteered to help seeing as i can't run it. As soon as i know what i'm doing i'll let you all know, on a side note & totally un-biased. Galway should have won today!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

tang1 wrote: »
    Ye all make me SOOOO sick giving out about running. Well done all with the running over the weekend, wish i was with ye. For those running the Athlone Half next weekend i've volunteered to help seeing as i can't run it. As soon as i know what i'm doing i'll let you all know, on a side note & totally un-biased. Galway should have won today!!!!

Cheers tang, be good to put a face to the name!

If you want pick me up in your car at mile 2 and drop me off at mile 12..i should be able to manage the rest and have a reasonable time! ;):pac:

blockic wrote: »
    Cheers tang, be good to put a face to the name!

If you want pick me up in your car at mile 2 and drop me off at mile 12..i should be able to manage the rest and have a reasonable time! ;):pac:

Way your training i'd be seriously suprised if you dont go at least sub 1.35. I'm sure your goal is below that though. If you see a shaven headed, big eared, younger than his age man anywhere its me!!

Way your training i'd be seriously suprised if you dont go at least sub 1.35. I'm sure your goal is below that though. If you see a shaven headed, big eared, younger than his age man anywhere its me!!
    Wow should deffo have no trouble identifying you so.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

They should've won but instead they were gifted a replay that was never a free in he threw himself at the KK lad. :)

It'll be some replay that's for sure. C'mon the cats :D

leeomurchu wrote: »
    They should've won but instead they were gifted a replay that was never a free in he threw himself at the KK lad. :)

It'll be some replay that's for sure. C'mon the cats :D

Great game, seroius advertisment for hurling. Galway may have left it behind them today, hopefully not. Henry should be coated in gold and put on a pedestal, some man!!

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Great game, seroius advertisment for hurling. Galway may have left it behind them today, hopefully not. Henry should be coated in gold and put on a pedestal, some man!!

Ah stop I always used to say one man does not a team make but I tell ya he was converting me today.

Galway looked the stronger side at the breaking ball but KK are always slow burners and lethal in the second half.

I'd say if KK turn it on a bit quicker in the replay they'll be somethin else but saying that it could go either way a lot of wides from both sides today. Animals of men though I've more fat on me big toe than most of those lads have in their entire bodies.

Wow should deffo have no trouble identifying you so.....:rolleyes:

Sorry forgot to include i'm 6ft 2 built like a tank and have been told i look some what like Brad Pitt on my bad days but thats just me being modest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Animals of men though I've more fat on me big toe than most of those lads have in their entire bodies.

I'll have to tune into that game next time:rolleyes:

Sorry forgot to include i'm 6ft 2 built like a tank and have been told i look some what like Brad Pitt on my bad days but thats just me being modest!
    aydin-polatci-0060.jpg
    Is this you??

aydin-polatci-0060.jpg
    Is this you??

I think i'll shut up now, 1-0 to career_move. Well played!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

100 euro down the drain. It seems no refund or deferral of entry is possible for the Dublin Marathon! Very understanding bunch altogether.

Won't be taking part in their race series from now on.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Tough 5 miles done in Tuscany this morning, those hill towns are aptly named that's for sure. 2.5 miles steady incline where I seriously regretted that dessert and extra glass (or two) of wine last night. 'what goes up must come diwn' became my mantra and sure enought the 2.5 miles back was an easy downhill jaunt. I think that counts as training towards this infamous Chapelizod hill!

In some ways I'll be glad to get back home and get back concentrating on my training. Although I've only missed one short run due to food poisoning, I'm worried that all the big eating and wine will affect my training. 18 mile LSR on Sunday when I get home, so that should give me an idea where I stand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

corny wrote: »
    100 euro down the drain. It seems no refund or deferral of entry is possible for the Dublin Marathon! Very understanding bunch altogether.

Won't be taking part in their race series from now on.:mad:

That is a bit crap Corny. Whatever about not giving refunds, I don't understand why they don't allow deferrals, I thought it said somewhere on the website that they alliwed deferrals to the following year, or maybe that was the Cork City Marathon. They should at least allow a transfer of entry to someone else. How big a deal can it be to change a name with enough notice.

Advertisement