Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

curr33 wrote: »
    Hi all, i've just come across this thread as I googled marathon training plan. I had no thoughts of doing it until i did the Dingle half 2 weeks ago and loved it (even though it was mainly uphill). I have been cycling in and out of work (7.5m each way) 2-3 times a week. 1-2 short runs and one LSR. Am I too far behind the Hal Higdon to continue? I am not looking to win, just finish happily maybe in less than 5 hours :)!
    I hoped to run 14-15m on Saturday but could barely manage 10 comfortably and had to walk most of the rest. It was only afterwards someone pointed out that it was extrmely hot. My only other bad LSR was also in the heat. I had planned the Dublin half next week but think I should do 15-16 again to make sure i can or should i just swap it with next weeks 16 miler?
    Is it madness to be thinking about the full at this stage? Do I need to give up the cycling and do more running mid week? A lot of sites say that the cycling really helps and I thought it was keeping me fit and injury free.
    Now that it's in my head, it won't go away....
    Hi Curr. Welcome to the madness! I think most people on here are running at least 4 days a week. You might want to add in another days running even if its only a few miles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Alco :rolleyes: Show some commitment can't you :p

:D:D:D

I forgot to say it was the non-alcoholic stuff im going off! :pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

Today was LSR day in the Messiah camp. 16 miles / 26 kilometres on the schedule.

Last weeks 15 miler was very tough as the wheels had well and truly come off by the last 5k and I struggled badly to finish - leaving many questions about being ready for the big one in the back of my mind.

I ran the midweek 8 mile home on Thursday and had been in quite a bit of discomfort since - (shin splints were killing me) ended up skipping the last midweek 4 mile run completely to give myself a chance to recover.

So to say I wasn't overly looking forward to today would be fair to say. :)

I figured I'd give myself the best possible chance to finish and took things a bit slower than last week. (Heading for a snails pace of 7:15 per kilometre) I also got up early enough to have a bowl of porridge an hour before starting out and for good measure set out sporting my newly acquired 1000 mile socks too and clutching a drink bottle with a handgrip. The plan was to head out from home towards the Phoenix Park (about 9k) take a bit of a trip not exactly planned out to hit 16k before turning back to finish up in Blanch Centre where I could grab a quick shower in Westpoint before Mrs Messiah picked me up to head for our first baby scan. As such things were time critical so falling off the wagon could have been a disaster.

Schoolboy error right from the start - realised that I had messed up my pre LSR vaseline applying and forgot to do the nipples. :eek::( Was only 1k into the run when I copped it but as I had no key to get back into the house resolved to see how things went and if neccessary use some of my limited drink money (not beer ;)) to pick up a small tub if needed along the way.

Was comfortable at 7:15 ish pace. I passed the spot where I first stopped to buy a drink last week (which was in effect a break spot that last week I had to push myself to get to) and realised I was in much better shape than last week. This gave me a great confidence boost and I plodded on into the park and down the entire length of the park - hitting 13k halfway through the run just before the Zoo and delighted with myself that it had been done with no walk breaks. At this stage the Nipples were making themselves known and I decided I would for novelty value head up the quays and find a chemist along the way.

Passed the scene of an horrific accident between a skip truck and a Luas tram at Parkgate St. Hope everyone involved will be ok. The quays were busy with walkers on the path (as they have every right to be! :D) and between navigating them and stop starting at the traffic lights every couple of minutes the quays soon lost novelty value. Found a chemist who was very amused by my dramatic dash in the door and grabbing of vaseline in a hurry. Hit the bridge just before the halpenny bridge at 16k and turned around to head back for Blanch via the Phoenix Park. Stopped to buy a lucozade and refill the water bottle along the quays too. End result was a not very smooth few k section here.

Hit the park along the way back - Newton said "what goes up must come down" - unfortunately it was the other way around for me today. The park was an absolute killer going back up. I knew it was going to be uphill, had even factored it in as good practice for the Clonskeagh hill at the DCM but still was regretting the route choice. That said I kept my head down and the legs going, took a very short walk break halfway through but in general covered the uphill back at close on the same time wise as on the way down.

By the time I got to the end of the park it struck me that this time last week I was in absolute tatters. Yes it was hurting today and there had been a couple of walk breaks but it wasn't anywhere near as bad. I was still travelling at a decent pace without it being an almighty struggle. I crossed last weeks LSR 8 minutes up (despite running slower - which shows how bad the last few k were last week) and continued on the extra mile - to a full 26k - in 3 hours 11 min. I had a bit in the tank too and could have gone on a bit longer. Calves were absolutely aching after stopping but that disappeared after half an hour.

I know that was a bit of a ramble more appropriate to a full race report but I hope it serves as inspiration to those who have struggled recently. The difference in one week for me was huge - the core basis that we have all built up over the weeks is still there even with a bad run. Have faith !

Well done , great effort !

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Today was LSR day in the Messiah camp. 16 miles / 26 kilometres on the schedule.

Last weeks 15 miler was very tough as the wheels had well and truly come off by the last 5k and I struggled badly to finish - leaving many questions about being ready for the big one in the back of my mind.

I ran the midweek 8 mile home on Thursday and had been in quite a bit of discomfort since - (shin splints were killing me) ended up skipping the last midweek 4 mile run completely to give myself a chance to recover.

So to say I wasn't overly looking forward to today would be fair to say. :)

I figured I'd give myself the best possible chance to finish and took things a bit slower than last week. (Heading for a snails pace of 7:15 per kilometre) I also got up early enough to have a bowl of porridge an hour before starting out and for good measure set out sporting my newly acquired 1000 mile socks too and clutching a drink bottle with a handgrip. The plan was to head out from home towards the Phoenix Park (about 9k) take a bit of a trip not exactly planned out to hit 16k before turning back to finish up in Blanch Centre where I could grab a quick shower in Westpoint before Mrs Messiah picked me up to head for our first baby scan. As such things were time critical so falling off the wagon could have been a disaster.

Schoolboy error right from the start - realised that I had messed up my pre LSR vaseline applying and forgot to do the nipples. :eek::( Was only 1k into the run when I copped it but as I had no key to get back into the house resolved to see how things went and if neccessary use some of my limited drink money (not beer ;)) to pick up a small tub if needed along the way.

Was comfortable at 7:15 ish pace. I passed the spot where I first stopped to buy a drink last week (which was in effect a break spot that last week I had to push myself to get to) and realised I was in much better shape than last week. This gave me a great confidence boost and I plodded on into the park and down the entire length of the park - hitting 13k halfway through the run just before the Zoo and delighted with myself that it had been done with no walk breaks. At this stage the Nipples were making themselves known and I decided I would for novelty value head up the quays and find a chemist along the way.

Passed the scene of an horrific accident between a skip truck and a Luas tram at Parkgate St. Hope everyone involved will be ok. The quays were busy with walkers on the path (as they have every right to be! :D) and between navigating them and stop starting at the traffic lights every couple of minutes the quays soon lost novelty value. Found a chemist who was very amused by my dramatic dash in the door and grabbing of vaseline in a hurry. Hit the bridge just before the halpenny bridge at 16k and turned around to head back for Blanch via the Phoenix Park. Stopped to buy a lucozade and refill the water bottle along the quays too. End result was a not very smooth few k section here.

Hit the park along the way back - Newton said "what goes up must come down" - unfortunately it was the other way around for me today. The park was an absolute killer going back up. I knew it was going to be uphill, had even factored it in as good practice for the Clonskeagh hill at the DCM but still was regretting the route choice. That said I kept my head down and the legs going, took a very short walk break halfway through but in general covered the uphill back at close on the same time wise as on the way down.

By the time I got to the end of the park it struck me that this time last week I was in absolute tatters. Yes it was hurting today and there had been a couple of walk breaks but it wasn't anywhere near as bad. I was still travelling at a decent pace without it being an almighty struggle. I crossed last weeks LSR 8 minutes up (despite running slower - which shows how bad the last few k were last week) and continued on the extra mile - to a full 26k - in 3 hours 11 min. I had a bit in the tank too and could have gone on a bit longer. Calves were absolutely aching after stopping but that disappeared after half an hour.

I know that was a bit of a ramble more appropriate to a full race report but I hope it serves as inspiration to those who have struggled recently. The difference in one week for me was huge - the core basis that we have all built up over the weeks is still there even with a bad run. Have faith !
    Brilliant, well done n glad scan went ok too! Really enjoyed reading this, was funny but can certainly relate to it all! Great job!😊

curr33 wrote: »
    Hi all, i've just come across this thread as I googled marathon training plan. I had no thoughts of doing it until i did the Dingle half 2 weeks ago and loved it (even though it was mainly uphill). I have been cycling in and out of work (7.5m each way) 2-3 times a week. 1-2 short runs and one LSR. Am I too far behind the Hal Higdon to continue? I am not looking to win, just finish happily maybe in less than 5 hours :)!
    I hoped to run 14-15m on Saturday but could barely manage 10 comfortably and had to walk most of the rest. It was only afterwards someone pointed out that it was extrmely hot. My only other bad LSR was also in the heat. I had planned the Dublin half next week but think I should do 15-16 again to make sure i can or should i just swap it with next weeks 16 miler?
    Is it madness to be thinking about the full at this stage? Do I need to give up the cycling and do more running mid week? A lot of sites say that the cycling really helps and I thought it was keeping me fit and injury free.
    Now that it's in my head, it won't go away....
    Hi Curr. Welcome to the madness! I think most people on here are running at least 4 days a week. You might want to add in another days running even if its only a few miles :)

[/Quote
    Fair play to u, yeah u can do it! Go for it, just b careful not to over train, n risk injury, run at correct paces, I only starting running end April n ran all my runs pushing it n ended up with quite severe tendinitis where I couldnt even walk, was soul destroying as I'd just registered for Dublin, thankfully ok now n back on track for Dublin , I ensure I do my recovery runs slowly n my LSR is much slower, did half marathon yesterday n was really pleased with my pacing, survived it n actually enjoyed! So don't push too hard n u will get there, well done ! 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 heldog

Only found this thread last wk and was delighted to see everyone going through similar motions to myself- niggles, good runs, bad runs etc. It's my first attempt at a marathon and training is going ok, no problem increasing the mileage but am afraid I may have done a bit of damage in my 18 mile run on Sat.

Haven't had any problem with my knee til now but about 6 miles in on Sat felt awful sharp pain (like I should stop but didn't) ran on for 18, knee hurt but grand. V sore that night but ok since (though haven't ran) Went for sports massage tonight and masseuse said I appeared to have meniscus damage and to go to a doctor? Just wondering if anyone has experience of this? Would I be better off going to a physio?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 saligator

hey, ny name's Sal, raging that I just found this thread! Been reading through it over the last couple of days and it seems to be a great source of support and advice. will be good to have an outlet for my 'obsession' as I'm pretty sure my OH will stitch me a loaf if I mention the 'M' word once more.....all I can think about these days is DCM!

I'm 31, running for 2 years now, started off with C25K and went from there. have completed Achill Half Mar twice, PB 2:11 in July this year, 10k PB about 56 I think so i'm by no means fast but I love running so I don't care! I've been using Bupa intermediate marathon training plan and seems to be going well so far. As this is my first marathon, any time under 5 will do me, even just finishing will be brilliant.

Delayed my LSR of 15m today due to a really sore knee (ran AND hillwalked yesterday, that'll learn me) but doing it tomorrow instead and will skip a short run to take a rest day after.

good luck everyone, can't wait to see ya at the starting line!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Hi All
    I too would like to thank everyone for the invaluable advice, all so motivating too!
    Just a question regarding this weeks training. I'm doing the half on sat, and I usually do a speed session during the week. Am I best to just go for an easy run instead? Also when should we do the 8miles this week? Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

obsessed

Right this is getting beyond a joke, I am becoming obsessed with time. I was awake alot last night thinking about trying to break the 1:50 or get close to the 1:50 mark for the half. I just couldn't get it out of my mind and it ruined my nights sleep. I am torn about trying to keep up with the 1:50 pace makers or going with the 2:00 pace makers. I know I can do it in less than 2:00 but I don't think I can do in 1:50.

So the simple solution is to aim for 1:55 but if I do that then that would mean I can't do the marathon in less than 4 hours which is my target.

I'm not really looking for advice, or maybe I am, maybe I'm looking for someone to tell me that it will be OK on the day, that the adrenaline and crowds will take me to a 1:50 time or that in the 7 weeks left to the marathon I will become fitter and will be able to make it in sub 4 hours.

I know that it has been advised to forget about times on your first marathon and just enjoy the experience but I can't help it.

Sorry for the long vent but I think I feel better now.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you really want to do the marathon in under 4 hours, go with the 1.50 pacers. If you finish in 1.50 - great, there's a confidence boost
    If you can't stick with them - this isn't your goal race, so it's not a catastrophe, and you'll have learned that you aren't capable of sub 4 yet so won't do anything crazy in the marathon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    If you really want to do the marathon in under 4 hours, go with the 1.50 pacers. If you finish in 1.50 - great, there's a confidence boost
    If you can't stick with them - this isn't your goal race, so it's not a catastrophe, and you'll have learned that you aren't capable of sub 4 yet so won't do anything crazy in the marathon

^This!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

LarMan wrote: »
    obsessed

Right this is getting beyond a joke, I am becoming obsessed with time. I was awake alot last night thinking about trying to break the 1:50 or get close to the 1:50 mark for the half. I just couldn't get it out of my mind and it ruined my nights sleep. I am torn about trying to keep up with the 1:50 pace makers or going with the 2:00 pace makers. I know I can do it in less than 2:00 but I don't think I can do in 1:50.

So the simple solution is to aim for 1:55 but if I do that then that would mean I can't do the marathon in less than 4 hours which is my target.

I'm not really looking for advice, or maybe I am, maybe I'm looking for someone to tell me that it will be OK on the day, that the adrenaline and crowds will take me to a 1:50 time or that in the 7 weeks left to the marathon I will become fitter and will be able to make it in sub 4 hours.

I know that it has been advised to forget about times on your first marathon and just enjoy the experience but I can't help it.

Sorry for the long vent but I think I feel better now.:confused:

Think you have answered your own question in your post. Go with your gut and focus on this weekend's HM only, 1.50, the DCM is weeks away worry about that closer to the time . Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Thanks for all the replys I will give the 1:50 a bash and see where I am based on that. Best of luck to you all in the half marathon this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bren69

I'm in a similar position to LarMan except I'm doing the HM in Sligo and they have pacers at 1:45 and 2:00. Having ran (not raced) my first HM in Connemara in April in 1:57, I know I can go quicker, especially with all the training done since. Raced a 10k 2 months ago in 47:44. I think a target of about 1:50 is achievable. Mcmillan has me at 1:46:38 based on 10k time.
    So, would you advise:
    1. Just run my own race and use the garmin to pace myself for 1:50 ish?
    2. Go with the 1:45 and try to hold on?
    3. Go with the 2:00 pacers and kick on if feeling ok?
    4. Something else?
    Thanks

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

bren69 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position to LarMan except I'm doing the HM in Sligo and they have pacers at 1:45 and 2:00. Having ran (not raced) my first HM in Connemara in April in 1:57, I know I can go quicker, especially with all the training done since. Raced a 10k 2 months ago in 47:44. I think a target of about 1:50 is achievable. Mcmillan has me at 1:46:38 based on 10k time.
    So, would you advise:
    4. Something else?
    Thanks

Why not start at the bask of the 1.45 pacers they'll only be around 10sec/Km ahead of you estimate time so they'll be in your eye line most of the way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

EXACT same position as Larman and Bren!

Think I'm gonna go with the 1:50 and if I feel the need to drop off I will. The DCM is the big one, but i think pushing myself in a race situation might be good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Trampas

It is amazing how generous people are in sponsoring you.

Herself and I are running for Barretstown and 3 out of 4 people have given €50 each.

It gives you an extra few %

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

So, would you advise:
    4. Something else?
    Thanks

Hi Bren,

If it was me id go with option 1, pacers are of benefit but at the same time, one is well capable of running a race without the help of a pacer.

Im in a similar situation on saturday, pacers are at 1:40 and 1:30 and ive a goal time of sub 1:35..I'm going to run my own race using my garmin as a guide.

Option 2 is not a great option if you run out of steam with a few miles to go, as its not a pleasant race experience to struggle to the finish (has happened to me at times)

Option 3 if you go with the pacer here until the halfway mark say you will be 5 mins down on your 1.50 target time so not sure if that would be too much to make up over 6 miles or so?

Having said all that, ive seen your training and you have put in a lot of miles over last couple of months and with the buzz of the day it wouldnt suprise me if you were in and around the 1.45 mark.

Ive probably made things worse rather that better! :rolleyes:

But up to yourself whatever you feel more confident in really.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

If the pacer's time doesn't suit then run your own race, kicking on with 3 miles to go won't work in this race as you're hitting the business end of the park. Pace yourself to have a minute in hand by the time you re-enter at the Kilmainham gate, there's plenty of slope in your favour in the first 10 miles to do this without putting yourself under any extra pressure, this will give you a bit of a cushion to ease up Military Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

IMO, which may not count for much:eek::eek:

I normally start out slowly in races as it takes me a few miles to get my breathing under control. So if it was me I'd tag along at 5.30 - 6mins/km pace for the first 10K & if I was feeling ok with about 8k to go I'd push it a bit then.At that pace & feeling strong for the second half you should be in comfortably at around 1.55. With the excitement of the day etc you dont want the scenario where you put yourself under pressure from the off & struggle home.I find that if I puff & pant my way through the first 10k & never get the breathing under control I dont enjoy it, feel uncomfortable & come home deflated.
    Now everyone is different so its horses for courses but personally I'd always err on the cautious side. Then again all of us have done enough training to do a half in a decent half time so its up to a person themselves & how they feel on the day especially when your head starts playing mind games with you:eek:
    I wouldnt feel as daunted now about a half as I did 6 months ago so a lot has to do with confidence as well.

Best of luck to anyone doing a half this weekend.;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

It's a real shame the slowest pacers are 2 hours for the Half on Saturday. McMillan has me at 2:13 so not much point in me following them.
    I'd have thought it would be Novices that would benefit most from the consistent pacing etc.. oh well hopefully next year I'll be able to keep up :)

All this talk of giving up alcohol is getting me thinking. I usually do a "Sober October" every year anyway, but I think I'll extend it to include most of September this year. Bring on the peer pressure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

So, would you advise:
    4. Something else?
    Thanks

Doing sligo too. I would bear in mind that the first half (of the half!) looks mostly uphill with the main climb (:eek: "The Squirrel":eek:) coming at the half way mark. Second half seems to be mostly downhill.

I reckon for me anyway that the course will sort out the pace for me. I just hope there is something left in the tank to kick on for the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Anyone know what the time's for each wave will be for the 1/2 on Sat?thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

faster than 1.40
    1.40 to 2 hours
    2 hours and longer

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bren69

Thanks all for the advice. I'll see how I'm feeling on the day but think I'll just do my own pacing. The last thing I want to do is push too hard and end up injured. Good luck to everyone running HM's at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

Thanks all for the advice. I'll see how I'm feeling on the day but think I'll just do my own pacing. The last thing I want to do is push too hard and end up injured. Good luck to everyone running HM's at the weekend.

I'm in the exact same boat - dont want to push too hard, but at the same time, cause I lost a few weeks to injury, maybe a harder half marathon might benefit me too...
    Think I'll air on the side of caution though.

A few weeks ago I had been aiming for 1:40 - now I'm being more conservative and hoping for a comfortable 2:00 without incident.
    (Scratch that - I just checked the time/km for 2hr, being 5:41 - that will be far from comfortable... and no way I would ever have done the 4:41 for the duration of a half marathon to come in at 1hr 40!?!???!!! Hmmm. I must have been dreaming about running 1:40!! :)
    2hrs should be achievable and will be my aim - but I'm not going to cry if I dont make it)

Will be the longest distance for me so far, so just want to get it ticked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 saligator

LSR day for me, 15miles. Was tough going at times, especially between mile 7 and 8, thought mile 8 was taking agessss to come and then I copped on the runkeeper app had paused itself! Anyway I got through it and am so happy I'm one step closer to DCM. My knee was grand once I started running on it (only hurts when I walk??) so probably would have been fine to do LSR yesterday but didn't wanna take a chance.

Good luck to everyone doing the HM, I'd love to be doing it or at least volunteer but I'm working. :(

Hi Bren if u ran that 10k time I think u capable of 1.45ish, I'd go for that, just don't start out too quick, try 1st few miles around 8.15ish n see how u feeling after couple miles, I reckon u will keep that pace comfortably as ur 10k pace was around 7.45ish. I ran 10k 2 weeks ago at 47.55 n it nearly killed me as I started out too quick but ran half marathon on Sunday at 1.46 and was very comfortable , was so pleased with that time but especially as my 2nd half was slightly quicker n my las mile the quickest which showed my pacing was correct. Good luck n I reckon u will do great! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Travelling for work this week - got my 5m done this morning, albeit on a treadmill (yuck) but won't have time to do my 8m in the morning and won't be home early enough to do it tomorrow evening. I guess I'll probably skip the 8m and just do the 5m on Thursday before the half on Saturday.

Would love to do 1.40 in that but too big a jump from 1.48 in Clonmel, so will probably go for 1.45, pacing myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

went out this evening for a few miles in the park with some lads. We were running about 8.50 pace and I was feeling it after 4 laps which is 1.1 miles per lap.
    I ran the Fingal 10km a few months ago at a quicker pace and it didnt feel as hard. I'm wondering now if I'm going backwards instead of forwards.

Advertisement