Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

These days every muscle twinge develops into a medical emergency in my head so I was really freaking out on Sunday with my sore calf muscle. I wore a pair of compression socks for at least 24 hours and I thought that helped but when I did a little jog on Monday after work it was still sore. This evening I did 35 min on the crosstrainer and I had no aches so I switched to the treadmill to do a few miles. I only managed 5 minutes :eek: I think my running mojo has left me :eek: Why? Why now? Everything was going swimmingly until last weekend! Now I seem to in the zone of phantom aches and pains and have serious doubts about how I'm going to run 13.1 8 min miles. 10 weeks ago I did a 5 mile race in 37.12 and tonight I can't even run a kilometre on the treadmill :mad::mad::mad:

rasher_m wrote: »
    went out this evening for a few miles in the park with some lads. We were running about 8.50 pace and I was feeling it after 4 laps which is 1.1 miles.
    I ran the Fingal 10km a few months ago at a quicker pace and it didnt feel as hard. I'm wondering now if I'm going backwards instead of forwards.
    I think we have the same problem :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

It was awful, I thought I should've got a lot a better with all this mileage behind me and instead I'm putting Bio freeze on my ankle and puffing after 4 miles at a pace which was slower than I was running months ago. I'm dreading the half now on Saturday :o

Yip same here sista

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

aydin-polatci-0060.jpg
    Is this you??

Think its called karma career_move!! Your over analizing to much, half those niggles are phantom ones as you said. Saturday 12.44.30 i'll see you at finish line in Athlone with a massive smile on your face. You have my picture!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Did this weeks 8 miles tonight instead of tomorrow as I've a gig tomorrow night. I'll do 4 at lunchtime in work tomorrow, and 5 on Thursday evening.

Have to say, this evening's 8 miles was like a breath of fresh air compared to recent runs. I had to skip the LSR on Saturday due to knee troubles - I think the 4 days off helped a bit. First time I've enjoyed my run in weeks! I wasn't anywhere near as tired at the end as I'd have expected. I also think the drop in temperature helped somewhat.

I'm sure it'll be back to normal aches and pains tomorrow, but for now I'm happy, and looking forward to the half on Saturday :)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

LarMan wrote: »
    obsessed

Right this is getting beyond a joke, I am becoming obsessed with time. I was awake alot last night thinking about trying to break the 1:50 or get close to the 1:50 mark for the half. I just couldn't get it out of my mind and it ruined my nights sleep. I am torn about trying to keep up with the 1:50 pace makers or going with the 2:00 pace makers. I know I can do it in less than 2:00 but I don't think I can do in 1:50.

So the simple solution is to aim for 1:55 but if I do that then that would mean I can't do the marathon in less than 4 hours which is my target.

I'm not really looking for advice, or maybe I am, maybe I'm looking for someone to tell me that it will be OK on the day, that the adrenaline and crowds will take me to a 1:50 time or that in the 7 weeks left to the marathon I will become fitter and will be able to make it in sub 4 hours.

I know that it has been advised to forget about times on your first marathon and just enjoy the experience but I can't help it.

Sorry for the long vent but I think I feel better now.:confused:

I so know how you feel. At start of year my goal was sub 4hr DCM but with injury etc I feel this might be slightly beyond me right now. Managed 2hrs half marathon a couple of weeks ago which is 10 mins of last years best . Think 1:50 is a stretch this weekend but 1:55 is do-able. Thanks to advice on boards have decided to go with 2 hr pacers for first 5/6miles then try to push on a bit. We could help each other out here by being pacemakers for each other maybe ?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

RedRunner wrote: »
    I so know how you feel. At start of year my goal was sub 4hr DCM but with injury etc I feel this might be slightly beyond me right now. Managed 2hrs half marathon a couple of weeks ago which is 10 mins of last years best . Think 1:50 is a stretch this weekend but 1:55 is do-able. Thanks to advice on boards have decided to go with 2 hr pacers for first 5/6miles then try to push on a bit. We could help each other out here by being pacemakers for each other maybe ?:)

I'm starting to think that 1:55 would be a good time and anything under that a bonus. So one of the big consideration for where to start is the route itself, as pointed out by Mr SLOW the last 4 KMs of the race are uphill having run up it once, or should I say walked/run up it, you will not make any time up on the last few KMs you will more than likely (if like me) need to slow down.

So my strategy is now to go with the 1:50 group and try to stay with them, make up any lost time on the downhill sections and then run the last 4 KM as fast as I can and see what time I will get. If I get under 1:55 then I will be happy. The marathon route is downhill/flat for the last 10K so hopefully there is some ability to make up time on that section (more realistically it will be just trying to keep going for me).

I did a 8K run yesterday at half marathon pace, most of it was down hill but the last 2KM were uphill. It was tough and would be hard to maintain for 21K but unless I try I won't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

These days every muscle twinge develops into a medical emergency in my head so I was really freaking out on Sunday with my sore calf muscle. I wore a pair of compression socks for at least 24 hours and I thought that helped but when I did a little jog on Monday after work it was still sore. This evening I did 35 min on the crosstrainer and I had no aches so I switched to the treadmill to do a few miles. I only managed 5 minutes :eek: I think my running mojo has left me :eek: Why? Why now? Everything was going swimmingly until last weekend! Now I seem to in the zone of phantom aches and pains and have serious doubts about how I'm going to run 13.1 8 min miles. 10 weeks ago I did a 5 mile race in 37.12 and tonight I can't even run a kilometre on the treadmill :mad::mad::mad:

That be taper madness, if you're feeling it before the half you're going to be nuts before DCM :D

If it's any consolation I had it bad before Cork 2011, felt like I couldn't run across the road, on race day I smashed my target :)
    I did a 8K run yesterday at half marathon pace, most of it was down hill but the last 2KM were uphill. It was tough and would be hard to maintain for 21K but unless I try I won't know.

Race day adrenaline will kick in, you'll be feeling good running up the North Rd, then you turn towards the Castleknock Gate and your running gets even easier, most of the rest of the course up to 10 miles will be sloped in your favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

rasher_m wrote: »
    went out this evening for a few miles in the park with some lads. We were running about 8.50 pace and I was feeling it after 4 laps which is 1.1 miles per lap.
    I ran the Fingal 10km a few months ago at a quicker pace and it didnt feel as hard. I'm wondering now if I'm going backwards instead of forwards.

I think its due to the increased milage but I don't get going (comfortably) till mile 5 or 6 even, anything up to the "warmed up" point and I am second guessing myself and my state of health....could be something similar for you.

miguelk wrote: »
    I think its due to the increased milage but I don't get going (comfortably) till mile 5 or 6 even, anything up to the "warmed up" point and I am second guessing myself and my state of health....could be something similar for you.

This is a good thing, your body is adapting, getting used to long runs, towards the end of training every short run will be a pain but when the gun goes off on race day you'll cruise from the very beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

more ankle woes! :(
    Physio recommends a further 2-3 weeks off running, but that i should be physically able to do the marathon in october. I dont think i would be fit enough at that stage though without having done a lot of long long runs that are coming up in those weeks. I feel so frustrated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Physio recommends a further 2-3 weeks off running, but that i should be physically able to do the marathon in october. I dont think i would be fit enough at that stage though without having done a lot of long long runs that are coming up in those weeks. I feel so frustrated!

I'm in exactly the same boat jinx:( physio reckons only 2 more long runs, nothing for another week or so then building up with easy, short runs for a week or 2. If I do make DCM it'll be quite under-trained and a lot slower than I had hoped. But I'm determined to get there if possible, not ideal but most likely in a time that I can easily beat next year;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

If it's any consolation I had it bad before Cork 2011, felt like I couldn't run across the road, on race day I smashed my target :)

I remember doing my first half in April 2012, I didnt register until the evening before & I kept saying to myself what the hell am I doing here,theres no way I'm going to get around. There was a 10k on the same day & they turned back after 5k so I said to myself sure just sign up for the 10k & leave it at that. This is all after I'd been training seriously for 6 months (FFS:eek::eek: I even ran Christmas day:eek:) & here I was looking for a getout before I even started:o:o.I'm not saying that people here are looking for excuses not to run but it was more like unknown territory for me & I was more nervous than anything else which went from my head to my toes.

Anyway, I took the plunge & fell home in 2.04 (for a fellow that didnt think he'd get to 2k), tired but happy as a pig in s***. Could I do it yes I could but all I needed was a kick up the backside & a bit of confidence.

I met a friend of mine lately who has done a lot of marathons incl Dublin a few times & he asked me how the training was going. I had done a 30k LSR the same day & was feeling like a fish in a freezer & his comment to me was "su're how did you think you were going to feel after 30k:eek:??" & that I'd be grand in a day or two & he was dead right.You cant beat a bit of experience & the mods;) on here have been there & done it load of times to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Nightmare but try keep positive. You may still be ok. Have an issue with my ankle also, just hoping its not too bad but I fear by reading up on symptoms that it maybe plantar fasciitis. Going head to physio to get checked but need to go to a different physio as mine is away. Anybody good recommendations on the northside of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Just like Kev I did my 8Mile run last night cos Ive a gig tonight too... but my shins were very tender/sore. went slow & got through it. Had an ice bath after for the first time... not as bad as I thought ;-) legs felt bit better. But this morning my Shins are so sore, stairs are such an ache to get up/down (especially holding a toddler). Not going to run again this week, cycle on Thurs maybe. goign with the 1:50 pacers & do my best to hang on.

For anyone suffering tight calves, I had this for weeks on end.. really frustrating. MrSlow recommended I get The Sprinter Stick.. best suggestion ever. My calves are like floppy sausages now! relief. was painful for 2/3 days - even bruised - but all sorted now. Maybe the strain has moved to my Shins though!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Runchick wrote: »
    I'm in exactly the same boat jinx:( physio reckons only 2 more long runs, nothing for another week or so then building up with easy, short runs for a week or 2. If I do make DCM it'll be quite under-trained and a lot slower than I had hoped. But I'm determined to get there if possible, not ideal but most likely in a time that I can easily beat next year;-)

same as myself, hoping to make the course all the way round this year at this stage. improve on that for next year then :)
    best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Just like Kev I did my 8Mile run last night cos Ive a gig tonight too... but my shins were very tender/sore. went slow & got through it. Had an ice bath after for the first time... not as bad as I thought ;-) legs felt bit better. But this morning my Shins are so sore, stairs are such an ache to get up/down (especially holding a toddler). Not going to run again this week, cycle on Thurs maybe. goign with the 1:50 pacers & do my best to hang on.

For anyone suffering tight calves, I had this for weeks on end.. really frustrating. MrSlow recommended I get The Sprinter Stick.. best suggestion ever. My calves are like floppy sausages now! relief. was painful for 2/3 days - even bruised - but all sorted now. Maybe the strain has moved to my Shins though!

Pains in the shin, in my experience, was caused by a tight calf muscle...so if you have been beating the calves;) with "a Stick" don't forget that the calf muscles run along the side of the legs too and right round to the front so don't forget to do these too.
    If they are tight they can be pulling of the shin bone!!! I also experience pain in my foot too which is also due to the calf muscles being in a knot...Dry needling (ouch:eek:) has sorted me out to date!!
    Calf muscles:D

Again if anyone is experiencing pain they need to go to physio to make sure its nothing series and one treatment may even sort it out!!!

Regarding those who have to pull back a bit before the marathon, there are 2 long LSR left before taper 1 x 18m and 1 x 20m. If you manage to do 1 x 18m this will see you good. You don't have to do a 20m LSR before the marathon, Psychologically its great to get it done, but not essential, especially if it will lead to an injury or an injury not healing fully. Having said that the 2 stepback runs are 14 & 12 m, so if you have to choose two long runs i'd suggest the 14 & 18m, but we can worry about that in the weeks that the runs apply.

Best of luck to everyone racing a Half at the weekend in Dublin, Athlone or Sligo( i think thats the 3 locations). Enjoy it as its the dress reherasal for the big one.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

blockic wrote: »
    Hi Bren,

If it was me id go with option 1, pacers are of benefit but at the same time, one is well capable of running a race without the help of a pacer.

Im in a similar situation on saturday, pacers are at 1:40 and 1:30 and ive a goal time of sub 1:35..I'm going to run my own race using my garmin as a guide.

Option 2 is not a great option if you run out of steam with a few miles to go, as its not a pleasant race experience to struggle to the finish (has happened to me at times)

Option 3 if you go with the pacer here until the halfway mark say you will be 5 mins down on your 1.50 target time so not sure if that would be too much to make up over 6 miles or so?

Having said all that, ive seen your training and you have put in a lot of miles over last couple of months and with the buzz of the day it wouldnt suprise me if you were in and around the 1.45 mark.

Ive probably made things worse rather that better! :rolleyes:

But up to yourself whatever you feel more confident in really.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

I'm in the same boat as you, 1:40 is too slow but I'm afraid if I stick with the 1:30 pacers I'll die in the last three miles running uphill, especially with my lack of mileage.

Think I'll stick with the 1:30 pacers for the first few miles and see how I'm feeling.

Best of luck on Saturday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Younganne wrote: »
    Regarding those who have to pull back a bit before the marathon, there are 2 long LSR left before taper 1 x 18m and 1 x 20m.

:eek: I hadn't realised we had only 2 "long" long runs left.

I don't know whether to bounce around with joy or start worrying about the lack of long running. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

:eek: I hadn't realised we had only 2 "long" long runs left.

I don't know whether to bounce around with joy or start worrying about the lack of long running. :D

now i did say we also have 1 x 12m and 1 x 14:D - so these are no longer long runs mmmm i see...progress methinks..time to start bouncing;)

12,(or half this weekend)
    26.2!!!!!

Younganne wrote: »
    now i did say we also have 1 x 12m and 1 x 14:D - so these are no longer long runs mmmm i see...progress methinks..time to start bouncing;)

12,(or half this weekend)
    26.2!!!!!

bounce2_tig.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

Hi all,

I have IT band syndrome for the past 2 weeks now, went to the physio etc... he told me to do exercises, rest for a week and i'll be back running in no time. He also told me to get new runners which i did from Ambhibian King, went out for a 5 mile run on Monday and the usual happened after 2 miles - shooting pain from my knee upwards forced me to walk home in the lashing rain.

The frustrating part is i feel great and raring to get going but the pain is too severe that i can't even run through it. I've just been looking online and most reckon with the IT band i'll be out between 4-6 weeks in order for it to heal. Has anyone experienced the IT band syndrome and how long did it take to recover?

At this stage, i'm still doing the marathon whether even if i have to walk it!

All advice welcome.

Moggie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

moggie4000 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have IT band syndrome for the past 2 weeks now, went to the physio etc... he told me to do exercises, rest for a week and i'll be back running in no time. He also told me to get new runners which i did from Ambhibian King, went out for a 5 mile run on Monday and the usual happened after 2 miles - shooting pain from my knee upwards forced me to walk home in the lashing rain.

The frustrating part is i feel great and raring to get going but the pain is too severe that i can't even run through it. I've just been looking online and most reckon with the IT band i'll be out between 4-6 weeks in order for it to heal. Has anyone experienced the IT band syndrome and how long did it take to recover?

All advice welcome.

Moggie

Yeah I have had it a few times in the past and it depends, could take 1 or up to 4 or 5 weeks to disappear but be careful as it can always flair up again.

Running on grass helped prevent it recurring, won't really help when you already have it though and I suppose low impact things like cycling and swimming can help you keep your fitness while not running.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

I found the following article interesting, for those who are wondering about what pace to run at in the marathon. In this article it is suggested that 'midpack runners' should be running their marathon at almost a minute a mile slower than their half marathon mile pace.

http://www.hillrunner.com/jim2/id208.html

I found the following article interesting, for those who are wondering about what pace to run at in the marathon. In this article it is suggested that 'midpack runners' should be running their marathon at almost a minute a mile slower than their half marathon mile pace.

http://www.hillrunner.com/jim2/id208.html

Ha well that has me heading for a 6 hour marathon so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Weekend LSR done this morning as heading to the sun for a week tomorrow and don't fancy twelve miles in heat! Hope to get all my runs in while away. Not sure how long the good intentions will last although guilt will eat me up if I don't run.just worried about the heat, best of luck everyone in half marathon this weekend.

moggie4000 wrote: »
    Hi all,

All advice welcome.

Moggie

Strain or Syndrome?

Did your physio strip the IT Band for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Trampas

I was wondering should people who have been told that to rest up for 2-3 weeks should they go and see a different physio to get a 2nd opinion?

I was wondering about food on a lsr or marathon itself.

Sometimes I get hunger or empty stomach and would like to take something that would make it feel less empty.

would jelly babies or something like that take away the emptiness?

Advertisement