Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ha well that has me heading for a 6 hour marathon so. :D

Just run 2:17 for the half and you'll be all set for a 5hr Marathon according to that article. I think you are well capable of that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Trampas wrote: »

I was wondering about food on a lsr or marathon itself.

Sometimes I get hunger or empty stomach and would like to take something that would make it feel less empty.

would jelly babies or something like that take away the emptiness?

I often get hunger pangs on a long run and find taking a gel get's rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

menoscemo wrote: »
    Ha well that has me heading for a 6 hour marathon so. :D

Just run 2:17 for the half and you'll be all set for a 5hr Marathon according to that article. I think you are well capable of that :)

That's gas, I'm really hoping to get around in 5 hours and I was thinking that 2.16 or 17 on Sat was my aim, see you on both finish lines PM hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I was wondering should people who have been told that to rest up for 2-3 weeks should they go and see a different physio to get a 2nd opinion?

Sometimes I get hunger or empty stomach and would like to take something that would make it feel less empty.

I think with niggles and injuries you feel yourself how bad it is.

I eat a banana if i get hungry. works a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Worst run probably ever tonight, only managed 7 miles and even that was torture. My right calf on the side of my leg was/is killing me, had to stop with the pain.
    Really worried that I've done myself some damage :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I headed out for 8 mile this eve hoping to run marathon pace. This is 10.45 for me. I felt less tired than usual this eve and it was a really nice cool evening. I ran an average of 10.09 which really surprised me as I didn't feel like I was pushing it. I
    find t difficult to pace myself especially on LSRs. My pacing looks very uneven, ranging from 10 min mile to 11.30. From reading marathon blogs, it seems that it is extremely important to pace well in first half and if you feel good you can push it in second half.

Does anyone else have problems keeping an even pace. I don't listen to music/ audio books or mp:3 as they all annoy me after half an hour. I try counting but again I start tripping over myself after 50 and end up goin too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Well returning from my travels turned out OK for running and against the trend I'm feeling good so far.

I did my LSR on Sunday, (planned for Sat but woke up too tired), I headed out without sorting a new route to make the 16m so headed on the previous 14m route. It felt good and was much stronger then first time in this route/dist in 18th Aug. Did 10k in 1:06 (my new PB) and 13m in 2:32 (again PB) Was feeling so good that I forgot all about the extra two mile to tack on at the end when home was in sight I had to pass my gate and go on .. it definitely got harder then. I won't do that again, when adding the extra in do it before you see home.

Been out two mornings so far this week for 4 & 6m, very regular 12 mpm. I'm not sure if that's slower then my MP or if that is just My PACE!
    Hoping to do an easy 2:30 on Sat but if feels OK 2:15 would be a total success.

For any first timers (I am too but only running wise - walkedit twice) don't be too hard on yourself if you don't make the time you imagined/planned for. As lots have said your first is all about the experience and completing a marathon is a huge SUCCESS, with your whole life ahead to do better times.

YoungAnne I love your comment that 12/14 don't seem like LSR anymore ! (even if they ARE) it's true we are improving one and all

Best of luck to all on Sat

added 13th PS
    I limited this mornings run to 3.28m but did it in 31.03, at what for me is an amazing pace of 9:28 mpm. OK so I just got a smart phone with a free running app (RunKeeper) hence the new digital details!, otherwise I don't think I'd have known it was so quick. I started off feeling tired but just decided to go faster as it would not be a long run and all my running is slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Walkedit wrote: »
     Was feeling so good that I forgot all about the extra two mile to tack on at the end when home was in sight I had to pass my gate and go on .. it definitely got harder then. I won't do that again, when adding the extra in do it before you see home.

:)

Made that mistake a couple of times myself. Just goes to show how much of mental challenge distance running is, as well as physical.

After 12miles to run past your front door and start going further away again is so hard. No matter what shape I'm in to that point my brain starts telling me to quit!

Unbelievable struggle to keep going!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

I was wondering should people who have been told that to rest up for 2-3 weeks should they go and see a different physio to get a 2nd opinion?

I tried jelly babies last week for the first time as I was feeling starved during the LSR & they were fine. They were easy to eat & gave me a bit of a kick after 20k & took the edge off - I dont think eating them after 10k would be great but it was something to look forward to after drinking water,water, water:eek::eek: I've tried a few gels but they just dont agree with me:confused: A friend of mine told me that he had a small mars bar last week on a lrs - its something that I might try but personally I dont think I'd be able to stomach something like a banana or an energy bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Walkedit wrote: »
    Well returning from my travels turned out OK for running and against the trend I'm feeling good so far.

I did my LSR on Sunday, (planned for Sat but woke up too tired), I headed out without sorting a new route to make the 16m so headed on the previous 14m route. It felt good and was much stronger then first time in this route/dist in 18th Aug. Did 10k in 1:06 (my new PB) and 13m in 2:32 (again PB) Was feeling so good that I forgot all about the extra two mile to tack on at the end when home was in sight I had to pass my gate and go on .. it definitely got harder then. I won't do that again, when adding the extra in do it before you see home.

Been out two mornings so far this week for 4 & 6m, very regular 12 mpm. I'm not sure if that's slower then my MP or if that is just My PACE!
    Hoping to do an easy 2:30 on Sat but if feels OK 2:15 would be a total success.

For any first timers (I am too but only running wise - walkedit twice) don't be too hard on yourself if you don't make the time you imagined/planned for. As lots have said your first is all about the experience and completing a marathon is a huge SUCCESS, with your whole life ahead to do better times.

YoungAnne I love your comment that 12/14 don't seem like LSR anymore ! (even if they ARE) it's true we are improving one and all

Best of luck to all on Sat

added 13th PS
    I limited this mornings run to 3.28m but did it in 31.03, at what for me is an amazing pace of 9:28 mpm. OK so I just got a smart phone with a free running app (RunKeeper) hence the new digital details!, otherwise I don't think I'd have known it was so quick. I started off feeling tired but just decided to go faster as it would not be a long run and all my running is slow
    finty wrote: »
    :)

Made that mistake a couple of times myself. Just goes to show how much of mental challenge distance running is, as well as physical.

After 12miles to run past your front door and start going further away again is so hard. No matter what shape I'm in to that point my brain starts telling me to quit!

Unbelievable struggle to keep going!

It's not a mistake, it's great training, you're training yourself to have discipline, in a race the easy answer is to stop, passing your door and carrying on shows great mental strength, you'll need it for the big day.;)

• Advertisement

zefer wrote: »
    Worst run probably ever tonight, only managed 7 miles and even that was torture. My right calf on the side of my leg was/is killing me, had to stop with the pain.

You probably know this already but ice, ice & rest it - i have 2 ice packs in the fridge - had 3 but one burst from overuse:eek: Hopefully its just a twinge that will have settled down in a day or two - if its not too much better by tomorrow you need to see a physio.I've had calf problems in the past so i know what youre going through. I had to stop to stretch on a run recently because of something similar to yourself but it was grand in a few days so dont panic it might be something minor - like someone said in an earlier post every niggle seems like something major so dont panic just yet.

How long since you updated your runners - it might be a warning that you may need to change them??? Theres still plenty of time to sort it out, youll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I used to stop EVERY Time I went out after 1/2 Miles to stretch (eventhough I did 15 mins at home). I just could never stretch my calf enough to stop it locking up. was a constant distraction. Physio said it was worst he'd seen in a long time, did dry needling & felt good for a few days. Mr Slow recommened I get 'The Stick' and it has sorted the problem out so well. So if you can feel them hard & locked up I'd recommend it. defo rest it anyway, see a physio if you can. sounds like you didn't over do it & it'll be okay in few days. but you dont' want it re-occuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Sending you a PM.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

docrock wrote: »
    You probably know this already but ice, ice & rest it - i have 2 ice packs in the fridge - had 3 but one burst from overuse:eek: Hopefully its just a twinge that will have settled down in a day or two - if its not too much better by tomorrow you need to see a physio.I've had calf problems in the past so i know what youre going through. I had to stop to stretch on a run recently because of something similar to yourself but it was grand in a few days so dont panic it might be something minor - like someone said in an earlier post every niggle seems like something major so dont panic just yet.

How long since you updated your runners - it might be a warning that you may need to change them??? Theres still plenty of time to sort it out, youll be fine!

Ice any sore areas for 10 -15 mins, no point leaving the ice on for any longer. I just use a bag of frozen peas,wrapped in a teeshirt, i find its great as i can wrap them around my leg as the peas are small so you can move it into any shape you want.
    Ice the sore areas every evening....

docrock wrote: »

Iced it the last few nights alright as it had been niggly but last night was agony. Felt very sorry for myself as I walked home after stopping!

I actually dropped into B2R yesterday and got a new pair of runners as I had a feeling my runners needed to be changed..

I've been trying to get appointment for Physio today or tomorrow as I want to run in the Dublin half on Sat but no joy so far

Iced it the last few nights alright as it had been niggly but last night was agony. Felt very sorry for myself as I walked home after stopping!

I actually dropped into B2R yesterday and got a new pair of runners as I had a feeling my runners needed to be changed..

I've been trying to get appointment for Physio today or tomorrow as I want to run in the Dublin half on Sat but no joy so far

If its that sore he'll probably advise not to run in the half just in case you do more damage. Probably not what you want to hear but look you can do a 21k run anyday & the big one is the main goal.
    How does it feel when when you crouch down with your weight on the injured leg while up on your tippy toes??? I found that once I was relatively pain free doing this exercise it wasnt too bad.

What area do you live in? I know a guy in Swords who might be free today & reasonable rates

What area do you live in? I know a guy in Swords who might be free today & reasonable rates

Sent you PM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Trampas

Younganne wrote: »
    Ice any sore areas for 10 -15 mins, no point leaving the ice on for any longer. I just use a bag of frozen peas,wrapped in a teeshirt, i find its great as i can wrap them around my leg as the peas are small so you can move it into any shape you want.
    Ice the sore areas every evening....

I got a bag of peas just for that as some of the ice packs you can't get them into some positions.

15 mins max is all is required. you can ice again after the area returns to normal temp again but icing it for hours is wasting time

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DCM2012

Guys, where can I find the 2 hour pacer on Saturday?

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The front of the third wave.
    There'll be three of them, with flags on their backs

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPF3nC10K4-AVOw750QLtynzep_TPBcbc8ZJBuGGYj4xNPgBXu

(Without the armour and sword. Probably)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DCM2012

RayCun wrote: »

Ha! Cheers - much appreciated.

RayCun wrote: »

LOL:D:D

Just finished in physio, reckons I have strained calf muscle. Physio massaged them to the point of me having tears in my eyes! :) (is it weird that it felt good as well as painful?!)
    Gave me few stretches and compression bandage to wear and said I should be ok for Saturday if I rest until then but has advised to take next week off afterwards...

Just finished in physio, reckons I have strained calf muscle. Physio massaged them to the point of me having tears in my eyes! :) (is it weird that it felt good as well as painful?!)
    Gave me few stretches and compression bandage to wear and said I should be ok for Saturday if I rest until then but has advised to take next week off afterwards...

Great news zefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Got all my runs done early this week because of the Half in Athlone on Saturday.

Seems strange not having to run on a Thursday!! In fact any evening that im not running feels very strange at this stage!

Look forward to some competitive action now! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

sweep22 wrote: »
    All this talk of giving up alcohol is getting me thinking. I usually do a "Sober October" every year anyway, but I think I'll extend it to include most of September this year. Bring on the peer pressure :rolleyes:

Sober October, now there's an idea. I've been going for the cutting down approach but sounds like I better cut it out...will do that in October!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Hi Folks,

Dublin Marathon Training series now available at www.coddle.ie, Just hit the Dublin City Marathon icon.

2nd part which has advise for recovering from Saturdays Half Marathon will be posted shortly.

Any questions on the series or anything you would like Eugene Coppinger to answer please ask.

Thanks
    Dave

P.S. Many thanks to the Mod's for agreeing to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Mrs Noc wrote: »
    Sober October, now there's an idea. I've been going for the cutting down approach but sounds like I better cut it out...will do that in October!
    Mrs Noc: Hmmm Sober October.....considered and dismissed :D

• Advertisement

Mrs Noc: Hmmm Sober October.....considered and dismissed :D

Ah lads we have sacrificed enough! Don't take my beer too ;-)

It's good for the carbs!

Advertisement