Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ah lads we have sacrificed enough! Don't take my beer too ;-)

It's good for the carbs!

I have always found that as long as you don't drink too much the night before the marathon you should be fine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

menoscemo wrote: »
    I have always found that as long as you don't drink too much the night before the marathon you should be fine :pac:

Beer. The original Sports Drink

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭WRENALDO

zefer wrote: »
    Iced it the last few nights alright as it had been niggly but last night was agony. Felt very sorry for myself as I walked home after stopping!

I actually dropped into B2R yesterday and got a new pair of runners as I had a feeling my runners needed to be changed..

I've been trying to get appointment for Physio today or tomorrow as I want to run in the Dublin half on Sat but no joy so far

I had calf problems also though admittedly not as bad sounding as your own. I rested a few days and used a lot of Tiger Balm on the area and it seemed to have done the trick .

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

WRENALDO wrote: »
    Iced it the last few nights alright as it had been niggly but last night was agony. Felt very sorry for myself as I walked home after stopping!

I actually dropped into B2R yesterday and got a new pair of runners as I had a feeling my runners needed to be changed..

I've been trying to get appointment for Physio today or tomorrow as I want to run in the Dublin half on Sat but no joy so far

I had calf problems also though admittedly not as bad sounding as your own. I rested a few days and used a lot of Tiger Balm on the area and it seemed to have done the trick .
    I was at physio tonight for my calves too, very tight and causing pain in my foot which I was afraid may be tendinitis starting, very very sore to get rubbed out trigger points pressed but after 1.5 hrs although feel run over by a bus will hopefully do the trick, I didn't even realise my calves were so bad. Hope u feeling better soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

im a pretty fit lad, could run 6 miles as it is without feck all training. is it too late to enter do yee reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I've caught a cold. Goddammit. Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

kevthegaff wrote: »
    im a pretty fit lad, could run 6 miles as it is without feck all training. is it too late to enter do yee reckon?

It's not to late to enter - entries are open till end of September.

If your question were whether it's too late to start preparing for a marathon then the chances are that it is. There's the world of difference between running 6 miles from scratch and running 6 miles directly after running 20 miles. I'm not saying it'd be impossible for you to complete it successfully but the odds would be against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

New runner wrote: »

I was at physio tonight for my calves too, very tight and causing pain in my foot which I was afraid may be tendinitis starting, very very sore to get rubbed out trigger points pressed but after 1.5 hrs although feel run over by a bus will hopefully do the trick, I didn't even realise my calves were so bad. Hope u feeling better soon .

Just wanted to add, that for my calve problems I use good old fashioned Deep Heat mixed with Olbas oil, 3 - 4 times a day and rub the b.. Jaysus out of them! Hurts like hell but if you also keep stretching I find that they eventually loosen out.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Have just been catching up on this thread (have my own blog for the New York marathon but have been following this closely as I'm just a week behind everyone).

My marathon training is a combination of posts on this thread - every niggle is an emergency, my calves are in bits and are getting lots of Stick action and I intend to give up alcohol at the start of every week but fail by Friday! Think I might try for a Sober October instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I've caught a cold. Goddammit. Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse.. :mad:

Nightmare Kev, loads of lemsips or uniflu! Hopefully wont last too long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Ah lads we have sacrificed enough! Don't take my beer too ;-)

It's good for the carbs!

I like this approach more. Much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Trampas

Seems to be a dose going around.

my throat is at me today also. not good prep for tomorrow.

hopefully i wont face the drugs testers tomorrow or my marathon will be over :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

lrak wrote: »
    New runner wrote: »

Just wanted to add, that for my calve problems I use good old fashioned Deep Heat mixed with Olbas oil, 3 - 4 times a day and rub the b.. Jaysus out of them! Hurts like hell but if you also keep stretching I find that they eventually loosen out.
    Thanks will try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but does anyone take painkillers before a long run / half marathon / marathon? I was speaking to an experienced marathon runner last week who asked if I took painkillers or motilium before I head out on a long run. She got the advice from her running club and says it works wonders for her muscles. I've never tried this and am a bit reluctant to start popping pills, but just wondered if it's worth a try....

Good luck to everyone doing the half marathon in the Phoenix Park tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

No, you shouldn't do it. Pain is your body telling you something is wrong - if you don't get the message then you risk making that something worse.
    Plus there are reports that the combination of some painkillers (ibuprofen and that family) and dehydration can cause liver damage.

If you get to 20 miles in the marathon and you're in pain and you want something to help you finish, then fine. There are first aiders on the course at regular intervals, they can help you out. But it shouldn't be part of your race strategy, or something you do regularly on runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

La Di Da wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been discussed before, but does anyone take painkillers before a long run / half marathon / marathon? I was speaking to an experienced marathon runner last week who asked if I took painkillers or motilium before I head out on a long run. She got the advice from her running club and says it works wonders for her muscles. I've never tried this and am a bit reluctant to start popping pills, but just wondered if it's worth a try....

Good luck to everyone doing the half marathon in the Phoenix Park tomorrow.

My sports doc gave me Difene for a knee problem & told me to take them when I need them. I usually have to take them the day after a LSR but I get away with it during the week on the shorter runs. He also told me to take them before a run & I'd be grand. I havent tried it but I dont fancy putting putting Difene, water, a gel & jelly babies into my system at the one time - Houston may have a problem after a few miles with that mixture:eek::eek::eek:
    One Difine in the morning & another before bedtime usually sorts the problem in a day.

The motillium is a first but I have & I know of a few people that have "got caught short" on longer runs & have had to jump over gates into fields etc in a hurry:eek::eek: so the motillium may be used as something to settle the stomach - I havent heard of people using it before though.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

God darn it, got my first black toenail end of May and waited patiently for over 3 months. JUST about grown out and what happens..? Toenail sore after Saturday's 18 miler and newly grown nail gone black again...:eek: Guess that's put paid to wearing strappy shoes before Christmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Looking forward to half in the Phoenix Park tomorrow, legs have been a bit dead this week, don't know why. Hopefully they will cooperate tomorrow and race day will give me a boost. Going to go with the 2 hour pacers, I should be well able for that at this stage.

Good luck to everyone running in the various events around the country tomorrow! And to all the newbies doing their first half (like me), well done us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Anyone see this http://athlone3quarter.com/
    Athlone 3/4 marathon 7th Oct, ties in with the 20 mile LSR on Hal Higdon Novice 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

docrock wrote: »
    I tried jelly babies last week for the first time as I was feeling starved during the LSR & they were fine. They were easy to eat & gave me a bit of a kick after 20k & took the edge off - I dont think eating them after 10k would be great but it was something to look forward to after drinking water,water, water:eek::eek: I've tried a few gels but they just dont agree with me:confused: A friend of mine told me that he had a small mars bar last week on a lrs - its something that I might try but personally I dont think I'd be able to stomach something like a banana or an energy bar.

I find the little kids boxes of raisins to be handy for the longer runs as a) they're in a box so you can toss them into your mouth and 2) they are fairly sugar/fructose rich so they give a little boost.

I usually bring one or two boxes along.

Jelly Snakes - cut in half - are handy every few ks as well, if nothing else they are like a little reward to look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

stuck in bed with a virus....not happy having missed a week of training and weak as a kitten. hopefully back next week and going well again. time is flying by.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

sassyj wrote: »
    Anyone see this http://athlone3quarter.com/
    Athlone 3/4 marathon 7th Oct, ties in with the 20 mile LSR on Hal Higdon Novice 1.

Fits in nicely with the program, would be a good confidence boost for the DCM even if you did MP rather than racing it.

Prob used up all my "can't mind the child, got a race" tokens at this stage so I wouldn't be fair to pull another event out of the bag. I'm usually on duty at the weekends as my OH works shifts.

Just to make things more awkward I've to fit in a root canal as soon as possible, leaving it off over the weekend to get the HM in. Crap timing but hopefully it won't drive me demented over the weekend or interfere with the training over the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

FiiFii wrote: »
    God darn it, got my first black toenail end of May and waited patiently for over 3 months. JUST about grown out and what happens..? Toenail sore after Saturday's 18 miler and newly grown nail gone black again...:eek: Guess that's put paid to wearing strappy shoes before Christmas...

But you are all sorted for Halloween:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SligoL

miguelk wrote: »
    Fits in nicely with the program, would be a good confidence boost for the DCM even if you did MP rather than racing it.

What are peoples opinions on this being the longest distance run before the Big Day? My plan tells me to do 35km that weekend before tapering off, but I think I just do this 3/4 marathon instead. However, leaving an extra 10km to do on the day just seems like a very tough task!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Hey guys,

wow go away for a few days and it literally takes a few days to catch up with this thread!!

Some great running going on tho, so really well done to all. Sorry to hear about all of the injuries and niggles going around though.

Just back from my first run in 10 days after having a 'small tear in my calf muscle' according to physio. Did a realllly easy 4 miles and stopped to stretch every mile just in case but delighted to report that I had no problems/pain at all the whole way around (except for all of the imaginary pains and worry in my head :D )

Also, I have to say it felt really good to be running again. Have been going crazy, and I'm not used to cycling/swimming so cross training was a struggle. But I felt really fresh physically so touch wood if the calf stays ok I should be back up to where I was in no time. Didn't feel like I had lost fitness at all. So for anyone who is carrying a niggle, I would say don't be afraid to take a few days off/skip a few runs and give your body time to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

SligoL wrote: »
    What are peoples opinions on this being the longest distance run before the Big Day? My plan tells me to do 35km that weekend before tapering off, but I think I just do this 3/4 marathon instead. However, leaving an extra 10km to do on the day just seems like a very tough task!!!

I was wondering the same thing - I saw somewhere during the week that if you have a good base ie a good few 15+ milers done its not overly important to have a 20+ miler in the bag but personally I would prefer to have a few done.

I'm not following any specific programme but in the last few weeks my LSR have been built up to 29k (3 weeks ago), 24k (2 weeks ago), 29k last week, 24k planned for this weekend. I'm thinking about a 35k next weekend which leaves me 4 running weekends to D Day.How would you guys train from there on in, would you get another 35k in 2 or 3 weeks before the event or what would you do??

Any suggestions or advice on the above would be very much appreciated as I'm winging it more than anything:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Just finished in physio, reckons I have strained calf muscle. Physio massaged them to the point of me having tears in my eyes! :) (is it weird that it felt good as well as painful?!)
    Gave me few stretches and compression bandage to wear and said I should be ok for Saturday if I rest until then but has advised to take next week off afterwards...

Hahaha I know exactly what you mean!! He would be digging his elbow in and the pain is unreal and then all of a sudden the muscle relaxes under his elbow and it feels good...... but to be honest I think it just feels good cos it doesn't hurt anymore rather than actually feeling good!! I went twice and was seriously sore during and after.

Great that you are ok to race tho. I have to give tomorrow a miss unfortunately and ease back in over the next week or so. Sooo tempted to go and run tomorrow but I know it would be stoopid after taking 10 days off to recover, so I won't! Gutted to miss tomorrow but got to remember that the goal is the marathon!

How do you find the compression bandage, helpful? Do you wear it when running or just after?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

finty wrote: »
    :)

Made that mistake a couple of times myself. Just goes to show how much of mental challenge distance running is, as well as physical.

After 12miles to run past your front door and start going further away again is so hard. No matter what shape I'm in to that point my brain starts telling me to quit! Unbelievable struggle to keep going!

and
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    It's not a mistake, it's great training, you're training yourself to have discipline, in a race the easy answer is to stop, passing your door and carrying on shows great mental strength, you'll need it for the big day.;)

It's good to know that I'm not on my own and even better to know that I may have accidentally done something to help get me home from Stillorgan on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Anyone recommend where to park tomorrow in Phoenix Park? Coming from M50 North..... should I be heading for the Ashtown Gate? Parking inside or outside the Park? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

RayCun wrote: »
    No, you shouldn't do it. Pain is your body telling you something is wrong - if you don't get the message then you risk making that something worse.
    Plus there are reports that the combination of some painkillers (ibuprofen and that family) and dehydration can cause liver damage.

If you get to 20 miles in the marathon and you're in pain and you want something to help you finish, then fine. There are first aiders on the course at regular intervals, they can help you out. But it shouldn't be part of your race strategy, or something you do regularly on runs.

Thanks for this - point taken. Goes against the grain to take painkillers without just cause. Will hold off and hope for the best!

Advertisement