Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

A Marathon Inspiration

I just had a conversation with a marathon hero Dave who works in our building at work. To date he has run 255 marathons (incl Sligo this weekend) which it seems may be the most run in Ireland by anyone.

He started at 36 - inspired by Sportaid running 3:11 in DCM and then next time out 2:59:59 in Belfast, he then ran his first 100 over next 21 years, next 100 over 5(?)years and is currently working thru numbers 201 to 300 in 2 years, planning ti do number 300 as DCM '13. He does 3.5 to 4 hours each now, sometimes doing 2 a day, and has been all over outside of Ireland chalking them up, and a career PB of 2:50

He started out predicting that he'd run 50 marathons and while that goal is long met he still has some marathon ambitions obviously getting to #300 and beyond, doing 50 DCM's - 27th this year, doing a polar marathon.

And even with all that experience (or because of it!) he was just so encouraging to me about running my first HM tomorrow and the big day in October. His advice mirrored at lot us novices have read here, don't go too hard too early - pace yourself it's a long way, enjoy the experience you can have a long career getting better/faster (although his start was pretty amazing!)

I came away feeling that this whole marathon story is such an adventure that you never know where it will end, who you'll met or what you'll learn about yourself along the way. We're all so lucky that we found our way to here!

Is Feidir linn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Walkedit wrote: »
    A Marathon Inspiration

I just had a conversation with a marathon hero Dave who works in our building at work. To date he has run 255 marathons (incl Sligo this weekend) which it seems may be the most run in Ireland by anyone.

That's Dave Brady.

Lovely fellow and well into his 60's but still knocking out really fast times. If there's a race (of any distance) in the country he'll be doing it. But of course if there is a marathon happening, that takes priority.

At the start Line of last year's DCM they anounced it as being his 200th, so he has obviously done another 55 since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

menoscemo wrote: »
    Walkedit wrote: »
    A Marathon Inspiration

That's Dave Brady.

Lovely fellow and well into his 60's but still knocking out really fast times. If there's a race (of any distance) in the country he'll be doing it. But of course if there is a marathon happening, that takes priority.

At the start Line of last year's DCM they anounced it as being his 200th, so he has obviously done another 55 since then.
    Totally amazing!! Well done to him, hard to imagine anyone doing that considering how daunting it is for us doing our 1st, times I feel I'm currently, eating , drinking n breathing running!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Heres wishing a great day and Half to all those running this weekend.

Run your own race, don't mind the people around you, try start in the correct zone. Don't start off too fast, start conservatively and then pick up pace as you warm up and coming into thelast mile, let it rip!!:D(speed, not wind):rolleyes:

Smile & Enjoy!!!

Ryans of Parkgate St after for the Boards meet up and a chance to put names and faces to lots of users here!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

Hey everyone
    am looking forward to the dublin half tomorrow. Have had a few good weeks which was needed after my motivation really dropped for a while. Am too slow to go with the pacers. Have run 1 half before in clonmel in 2:17:29 so reckon ill be around that 2:15 at best. Im number 866 so if anyone sees me say hi will be nicde to have a bit of company on even part of the course. Good luck all.
    Martin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hey everyone
    am looking forward to the dublin half tomorrow. Have had a few good weeks which was needed after my motivation really dropped for a while. Am too slow to go with the pacers. Have run 1 half before in clonmel in 2:17:29 so reckon ill be around that 2:15 at best. Im number 866 so if anyone sees me say hi will be nicde to have a bit of company on even part of the course. Good luck all.
    Martin

609 aiming for something similar here.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

545 here, will be the one struggling to stay with the 2hr pacers

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Hey everyone
    Martin

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. I'll be hoping for around the 1:55 mark. I'm number 11255 and will be in the brain wave T-shirt

No 2511, introduce yourselves if you see me!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Just back in from a short run to loosen the legs up. Actually feeling a bit nervous now, first half marathon and I've never ran 13 miles before but no matter how slow I go I'll be getting a pb :)

I don't mind if it rains just please don't let it be windy, anyways see you all tomorrow and best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Trampas

549 tomorrow and will be sniffing around 1.50 pacers

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Good luck n best wishes to u all, will b good guide for full marathon, enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Good luck to all running tomorrow!

Hey Digger, i'll be tagging along with you and your gang!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Well, no PB for me tomorrow... decided I'm gonna run tomorrow at marathon pace, not half marathon... Thought I'd been lucky with all the talk of injuries that mine hadn't returned but pushed myself on the 8 mile during the week and getting that familiar niggle in left leg again (v annoying as best run in a while and was v confident about tomorrow after it:()

Nothing serious and just need to re-start exercises physio gave me again but don't wanna mess things up with only 7 weeks to the big day so gonna use tomorrow to get pace & gels right in a race scenario as prep for big day

Best of luck everyone! Prob be bout 2.15 time & number 8161 if anyone see's me..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Good luck to everyone running the half tomor! I'll be thinking o ye guys as I plod around my 12 mile LSR tomor.
    Calves are very tight so plodding it will have to be☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Younganne wrote: »
    Hey Digger, i'll be tagging along with you and your gang!!:D

You going for 1:50 or do you mean to the pub? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Good luck to all tomorrow, would love to be running it. Looking forward to reading all the race reports!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

11830 trying to stick with the 1:50 gang but not sure if the legs are better! Beat of luck to you all!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

#850, planning on going for 1 after so see some if you in Ryans hopefully.

Very best of luck to everyone, more nervous this time to any others by a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

miguelk wrote: »
    more nervous this time to any others by a mile.

I know what you mean, very nervous myself for some reason! Good luck everyone
    #2591 here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Up early (not been a great nights sleep - our little one chose last night to have a series of nightmares :( only sorted out when she set up camp in our bed :))

Taking the opportunity for a nice cup of Tea and a big bowl of porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Up early (not been a great nights sleep - our little one chose last night to have a series of nightmares :( only sorted out when she set up camp in our bed :))

Taking the opportunity for a nice cup of Tea and a big bowl of porridge.

Ye can't beat your porridge to fuel ye up for hours, just had mine too!
    might have some protein too

Me and the youngun are 214/215, little & large in the Concern Tees
    Heading for 2:15-2:30 range

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best to all running HM today. Would love to be doing it but travelling today. Look forward to the reports. Run well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

So excited for ye all running the half today!!!

I'm happy enough today meself, after 9 days not running with a sprained ankle, I went for a wee 4 mile jaunt this morning in my new, physio-recommended runners...ankle held up really well and the runners felt so, so comfortable. So I'm looking forward to easing back into training with the rest of ye over the next week or so :D:D DCM could really be on the cards for me, something I was starting to doubt :)

Best of luck, looking forward to the race reports :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

The best of luck to everyone running today.Don't stay in the pub too long or else go to one with internet access to post a report!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

This walk to parkgate street is as tough as miles 11-13. Ow ow ow ow...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Ran half marathon distance this morning. Decided to run it at marathon pace. Managed it in 1hr 58mins. So chuffed with my time. Wore a bottle belt and drank water with Dioralite. My pace increased from start to finish and felt great afterwards. I think I'm looking at a 4hr 15min marathon. Best of luck to everyone in the half marathon today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Successfully completed the Dublin half this am. Got to introduce myself to the 1.40 pacers but that was the last time I was alongside them.

Planned to run 1.45 or faster, finished in 1.43.03 - more than 5 mins off my Clonmel time, so happy with that. Was totally bet by the end - around 11m there was a jelly teddy bear on the road and I was tempted. Hopefully that'll be the last time I race without adequate sleep, hydration and feeding - felt crap before and during and overall was glad to survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Trampas

Target was 1.50. Ended up 1:48:14.

So happy with that. Hardly ran with the pacers as over half a min behind them near castleknock gate but passed them before end of chesterfield avenue and decided to keep going instead of running as I was in the groove and running low 5min pace.

Will report more later as need to have a shower and head off to hospital to see the mother.

Anyone know how the person is who had collapsed around 1km from finish?

Advertisement