Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Did the Dublin half in 2 hrs 24 mins. Glad to have completed it at all after being out with ankle problems for the past week. Feel so sore now but delighted to be done with it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Did half in 1hr 52 mins so happy enough as I started with the 2 hr pacers but found it too congested so decided to move ahead and ended up just kept going.
    Good enjoyable race, hope the 2 or 3 people I saw collapsed in last couple of tough miles were ok!

Anyone see the 2 poor girls who were obviously caught short after about 3 miles jumping into the ditch?!!? Felt so sorry for them but made me laugh all the same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Felt like there wasn't much in the legs today at the start and after 2 miles I was thinking this is going to get painful very quickly.

Just tried to keep around 8min/mile for one more mile each time and was delighted to pass the 10m marker 3 minutes up on my finish time for the Frank Duffy 3 weeks ago.

After that I was just going to see how I held up on the hills. Didn't suffer at all much to my surprise and finished in 1:44:23.....whoop whoop!! Feeling fresh and nearly sprinted the last 400m so had some juice left in the tank.

Had 1:43 in my head yesterday but considering how I felt I'm delighted with that result. Putting it down to the 18miles on Sunday and then some speed work during the week.

Very well run event!!!

Great buzz coming down the finishing straight

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

Great Half this morning, conditions perfect, atmosphere super and a new PB of 2:11 for me, so am delighted with that, well done to everyone, early times in look fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Finished the half marathon in 1.55.50. I was aiming for under 2 hrs so happy with that result. I ran my own race instead of going with pacers as I tend to go through periods of feeling good and feeling bad so not very even.
    I found the hill from 11 to 12 miles tough enough and just tried to keep my head down and not look up.

I went to Amphibian Kings during the week and got fitted for new runners as I've been having this ankle pain in the right foot for a good while now.
    I thought the service was excellent. Kevin must've spent about half an hour fitting me up and analysing my feet. Turns out my right foot is turning outwards cause of rotation from my hip and my left foot has an over pronate so I was running in neutral shoes and causing myself agro.
    He gave me stretches to do for my ankle and some advice as well.

Luckily today my ankle didn't cause me any real issues but icing it now with a bag of roast potatoes :D

Didnt see any casualties in the race, thats terrible about those people...hope they're ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Good day at the office for me.. 1hr 53 and a few seconds!..Felt strong the whole way around. I can really feel the LSRs paying off...Sure I've ran two of them longer than a half already, pffft, 13.1m - childsplay :D

Had two gels during the race and I have to say I felt the benefit from them. Things are ticking over nicely, and again, I have to say it's all down to this forum...At the end of June I did the 5 miler in 47 something.....But with all the tips, support and banter (as well as knowing that I HAVE to fill out my training log!) I was doing average miles today of 8:34. So, thanks to everyone!

Next stop for me is the Athlone 3/4 and I'm gonna try and stick with the 4 hour (marathon) pacers. If I can do that, I'll be delighted.

Hope everyone's race went well!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 saligator

WELL DONE TO EVERYONE WHO RAN THE HM TODAY!!!!

hope you all had a well deserved pint after and are feeling delighted with yourselves!

Countdown to the big one realy begins now......:)

Good day at the office for me.. 1hr 53 and a few seconds!..Felt strong the whole way around. I can really feel the LSRs paying off...Sure I've ran two of them longer than a half already, pffft, 13.1m - childsplay :D

Had two gels during the race and I have to say I felt the benefit from them. Things are ticking over nicely, and again, I have to say it's all down to this forum...At the end of June I did the 5 miler in 47 something.....But with all the tips, support and banter (as well as knowing that I HAVE to fill out my training log!) I was doing average miles today of 8:34. So, thanks to everyone!

Next stop for me is the Athlone 3/4 and I'm gonna try and stick with the 4 hour (marathon) pacers. If I can do that, I'll be delighted.

Thats a huge improvement on your 5 mile race...well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

saligator wrote: »
    WELL DONE TO EVERYONE WHO RAN THE HM TODAY!!!!

hope you all had a well deserved pint after and are feeling delighted with yourselves!

Countdown to the big one realy begins now......:)
    Yeah well done to each and everyone of u! Enjoy the buzz , and celebrate wisely!

TANG1...Did you stewert the race in Athlone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

No, i couldn't in the end for family reasons had to pull out. blockic ran 1.32.xx as far as i know, career_move 1.46.xx.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

rasher_m wrote: »
    Thats a huge improvement on your 5 mile race...well done!

Cheers rasher - it feels good to see the progress i have to say!

I've learned it's all about consistency and getting out there and doing those midweek and long runs even when you don't wanna! It's all in the head!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Trampas wrote: »
    Target was 1.50. Ended up 1:48:14.

Anyone know how the person is who had collapsed around 1km from finish?

Well done,

That guy was smiling and laughing when we went past him a few mins after you - I felt like lying down beside him, that grass looked so damn comfy...

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Going into the race today I had a target in mind of 2:15 - 2:20 with an eye on the sub 5 hour marathon.

Placed myself in the middle of Wave 3 thinking that this would be approximate to my finish position in the greater scheme of things Instantly regretted it after the race started. Congestion was a big issue all the way to the bottom of the kyber when the first hill started stringing the group out a bit. I was already close on a minute down on 2:15 what I had hoped to be at (allowing a bit of extra time for uphills and a bit less for downhill) and I made a decision not to try and claw it back. Instead I revised the target towards 2:20 and kept going. The amount of people ducking out for a mid race wee was unreal. The first few I saw at the bottom of the kyber I thought for a minute were cutting the course until I realised what they were actually doing. Big queues for the toilets at the start didn't help things I'm sure.

Was happy enough and comfortable all the way up the hills to Castleknock gate. It was nice to run through Farmleigh a first for me - couldn't believe the amount of gel wrappers thrown down there though. A runner in front of me slipped on one but thankfully didn't hit the ground. I can't understand the mentality behind dropping them in the middle of the road form other runners to run on - never mind the littering aspect to it.

On the road down past Mount Sackville somebody had hit the deck and looked in a bad way. I hope she was ok and it was a temporary thing. Back into the park and us slower runners get our usual dose of how bad we are at running when we are running side by side with runners heading for the finish straight when we were just over half way through. SOOOO tempted to run straight through and see what it was like to "finish" at the business end of the race smile.png but resisted the urge.

Had a bit of a WTF moment when I read the signs at the water station saying it was the last one. There was still 5-6 miles to go ! Thankfully they were wrong and there was one left.

I knew I was starting to get into trouble passing the 9 mile marker. Legs were very heavy and this was on a downhill stretch ! with the uphill finish still to come. I pushed through it and tried to keep the pace up knowing that I was going to lose some time later on. At this point I had worked out that if I could hang on at that pace until the start of the first hill back in from Conyngham road up to the S Bends I could afford to briskly walk up it and still have a chance of a 2:20

And that's what I did. All the way home I was looking at my watch hanging on saying to myself - If you can just get to x km you can afford to do the last y km in whatever time. Blew up a little bit again on the second hill up but I ran more of it than I did in the 10 mile and 5 mile for that matter.

I had slowed to LSR pace by the time I got to the top - not by choice I have to add. Legs were aching me and it wasn't a pleasant trip to the finish straight. That said when I got to the finish area I found enough juice in the legs to come in at a sprint finish (felt like a sprint - probably was slower than the first km biggrin.png)

The finish straight was such an improvement on the 10 miler. It was a great feeling to come home to a cheering crowd on a clear road. It was fantastic and was the main cause of the sprint finish for me.

Came home in 2:18:30 which I am very happy with as it's in the ballpark for the 5 hour marathon. I unfortunately looked like I had been stabbed in the chest by the time I finished (vaseline on the nipples did not last unfortunately so plan B will have to be formed for the next one !)

Thank you as always to all the volunteers manning the roads, water stations, bag drops etc. Everyone seemed in top form and it was a genuine pleasure to run the race. I'm having a celebratory beer tonight when I get in from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

2.10 today delighted with that for my first half, very comfortable until the hills and managed not to lose too much time on them, last mile was very long for me, the legs were very tired by then. Very happy would have been happy with 2.15. Anyone here the announcer say only 44 days til the big one? Is that right? Yikes!! Well done to everyone, was a great morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Did the Dublin half in 2 hrs 24 mins. Glad to have completed it at all after being out with ankle problems for the past week. Feel so sore now but delighted to be done with it :-)

Well done jinx!! Brilliant result considering the ankle issues, how's the ankle now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Great results guys. I set out with the 1:50 wave but found it impossible to catch up to the pacers with the congestion early on, first few miles I felt out of my depth! Got a good pace going then til mile 10 and it got hard... Last two miles my head was screaming 'stop'! Kept going and thought the 2 hour pacers must be behind me.. But somehow I got 1:52 so am pleased! But I had nothing left, was thinking how can I rub this twice?! Anyone else get that? The mc was brilliant, great wit! Credit to all involved in organising.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

Going into the race today I had a target in mind of 2:15 - 2:20 with an eye on the sub 5 hour marathon.

Placed myself in the middle of Wave 3 thinking that this would be approximate to my finish position in the greater scheme of things Instantly regretted it after the race started. Congestion was a big issue all the way to the bottom of the kyber when the first hill started stringing the group out a bit. I was already close on a minute down on 2:15 what I had hoped to be at (allowing a bit of extra time for uphills and a bit less for downhill) and I made a decision not to try and claw it back. Instead I revised the target towards 2:20 and kept going. The amount of people ducking out for a mid race wee was unreal. The first few I saw at the bottom of the kyber I thought for a minute were cutting the course until I realised what they were actually doing. Big queues for the toilets at the start didn't help things I'm sure.

Was happy enough and comfortable all the way up the hills to Castleknock gate. It was nice to run through Farmleigh a first for me - couldn't believe the amount of gel wrappers thrown down there though. A runner in front of me slipped on one but thankfully didn't hit the ground. I can't understand the mentality behind dropping them in the middle of the road form other runners to run on - never mind the littering aspect to it.

On the road down past Mount Sackville somebody had hit the deck and looked in a bad way. I hope she was ok and it was a temporary thing. Back into the park and us slower runners get our usual dose of how bad we are at running when we are running side by side with runners heading for the finish straight when we were just over half way through. SOOOO tempted to run straight through and see what it was like to "finish" at the business end of the race smile.png but resisted the urge.

Had a bit of a WTF moment when I read the signs at the water station saying it was the last one. There was still 5-6 miles to go ! Thankfully they were wrong and there was one left.

I knew I was starting to get into trouble passing the 9 mile marker. Legs were very heavy and this was on a downhill stretch ! with the uphill finish still to come. I pushed through it and tried to keep the pace up knowing that I was going to lose some time later on. At this point I had worked out that if I could hang on at that pace until the start of the first hill back in from Conyngham road up to the S Bends I could afford to briskly walk up it and still have a chance of a 2:20

And that's what I did. All the way home I was looking at my watch hanging on saying to myself - If you can just get to x km you can afford to do the last y km in whatever time. Blew up a little bit again on the second hill up but I ran more of it than I did in the 10 mile and 5 mile for that matter.

I had slowed to LSR pace by the time I got to the top - not by choice I have to add. Legs were aching me and it wasn't a pleasant trip to the finish straight. That said when I got to the finish area I found enough juice in the legs to come in at a sprint finish (felt like a sprint - probably was slower than the first km biggrin.png)

The finish straight was such an improvement on the 10 miler. It was a great feeling to come home to a cheering crowd on a clear road. It was fantastic and was the main cause of the sprint finish for me.

Came home in 2:18:30 which I am very happy with as it's in the ballpark for the 5 hour marathon. I unfortunately looked like I had been stabbed in the chest by the time I finished (vaseline on the nipples did not last unfortunately so plan B will have to be formed for the next one !)

Thank you as always to all the volunteers manning the roads, water stations, bag drops etc. Everyone seemed in top form and it was a genuine pleasure to run the race. I'm having a celebratory beer tonight when I get in from work.

Well done!
    To avoid the stabbing, you should get sport shield. It's in Runways on Parnell st. 1st long run with no chafing for me. Much better than vaseline and doesn't seem to come off sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

PM i thumbed up your report before even looking at it. Always a good read, great running! A combination of a small amount of vaseline and plasters does the job for me on the nips btw ;)

I was tentatively aiming for 2:10 and I was lucky enough to come across a girl near the start who was banging out perfect 6:10 kilometres, just what I needed. I reckon she felt that she took too long at the second water station though cos she turned on the afterburners and started doing 5:30s :eek: so thank you mystery girl for getting me through the first half.
    The last few miles were hell. It was a combination of the hills, a horrific stitch in my side (new to me!), and the fact that two safety pins had come off my number (on the same side) and it was flapping about all over the place. Very annoying!
    I had to dig deeper than I ever have done. I even tried counting to a hundred, Paula Radcliffe style! Not looking into the distance also seemed to help. Came in at 2:11 in the end, very happy for my first HM!

Anybody else find the announcers suggestion of turning to the person beside you to shake their hands and wish them luck hilarious? Reminded me of "offering each other a sign of peace" at mass!!

Also, am I right in saying there are two "Ryan's" pubs? I went to James's St :(

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Great running by all today, I'm so envious of you guys doing the marathon. I'm raging that my injury had me out for so long and I missed so much training.. great race today as usual with the race series, relatively pain free for me and finished in 1.42..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Not a great run for me today i'm afraid. Set myself the target of 2 hours which was realistic and achievable based on my 10miler time. Went off with the 2 hour pacers and was fine and happy for the first 9 miles, then for some reason, the wheels came off and my legs just felt empty. Ended coming in at 2:07. No very happy with that because I know I can run better but I guess I just had an off day.

Nothing but respect for the pacers who did an excellent job, especially Ultraman in the 2:00 paces who did his damnedest to keep me going when he could see that I was starting to struggle. Unfortunately his efforts were in vain. He then came over to me after the race to offer further advice and encouragement, which was beyond the call of duty. The encouragement meant a lot to me as I was feeling very down after the poor run.

As for the pacer, who I shan't name, who tried to choke my daughter with a conker, perhaps you should confess all the the forum.

Overall it was a decent route and very well organised. The direction of the finish line was much better today than it was for the 10miler, no finishers milling about getting in the way of others on the finish straight, The bonus was that I got a box of roses as a spot prize, the girl my have taken pity on my anguished look as I finished,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Before the race: Legs felt good. Only ran 7 miles this week so was fairly fresh. Registration was well organised and was delighted to see chocolate in my goody bag :D Met up with Blocky

During the race: The start was a bit chaotic. You had to walk down the road and then turn back. I briefly saw the 1 45 pacers that I wanted to go with but as soon as the gun went I lost them again. The roads were pretty narrow and it was difficult to overtake people. Caught up with the pacers after a mile and a half though so was happy enough. There was no chat from them though....I thought their job was to entertain me :p I wasn't feeling great and we hadn't even done 3 miles at this stage. I had to keep repeating to myself 'My legs don't hurt. My breathing is good' over and over. It was the most boring run I've done. Every metre was the same. Stayed with the pacers until mile 10 when I lost the battle with my will power and had to walk for a min. I could still see them in front of me when I started running again but by mile 12 they were gone. I really tried to focus and pick up a bit of speed over the last mile but it wasn't happening and I couldn't even do it for the last 100m. There was just nothing there. Finished in 1.46.39
    After the race: Could hardly move. Met blocky. He finished in 1.32 and even had time/energy to take out a supporter with an over energetic high five!! The drive home was gruesome. Blocky is on his way to Cork....they'll have to nearly have a crane on standby to get him out of the car:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Super race, I was going for 1:55 after having initially thought about 1:50. A training run earlier in the week had convincd me there was no way I could do sub 1:50.

That said I thought I would try and keep them in sight and then just try and finish the last 4 KM as best I could.

Plan worked and I was feeling pretty comfortable when I caught up to the 1:50 pacemakers just before islandbridge entrance. This was were I really needed their support. Thanks to Clara Lara, Chinguetti and DiggerD2D for the support. The chat up military road really helped. I finished in 1:48:59 which was much better than I expected.

Thanks to all who helped out it was very well organised event although the water stations were a bit of a disaster for me, reminder go to the last table not the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Great going. Doing the athlone 3/4 myself, looking forward to it now

Before the race: Legs felt good. Only ran 7 miles this week so was fairly fresh. Registration was well organised and was delighted to see chocolate in my goody bag :D Met up with Blocky

During the race: The start was a bit chaotic. You had to walk down the road and then turn back. I briefly saw the 1 45 pacers that I wanted to go with but as soon as the gun went I lost them again. The roads were pretty narrow and it was difficult to overtake people. Caught up with the pacers after a mile and a half though so was happy enough. There was no chat from them though....I thought their job was to entertain me :p I wasn't feeling great and we hadn't even done 3 miles at this stage. I had to keep repeating to myself 'My legs don't hurt. My breathing is good' over and over. It was the most boring run I've done. Every metre was the same. Stayed with the pacers until mile 10 when I lost the battle with my will power and had to walk for a min. I could still see them in front of me when I started running again but by mile 12 they were gone. I really tried to focus and pick up a bit of speed over the last mile but it wasn't happening and I couldn't even do it for the last 100m. There was just nothing there. Finished in 1.46.39
    After the race: Could hardly move. Met blocky. He finished in 1.32 and even had time/energy to take out a supporter with an over energetic high five!! The drive home was gruesome. Blocky is on his way to Cork....they'll have to nearly have a crane on standby to get him out of the car:D:D

Great running, well done. Is it a PB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well ya cause its my first proper half :)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Well done to everyone today.

My day started off pretty badly when i came out to find somebody had decided to break off the wing mirrors on the car. A few minutes with electrical tape and i was off to CityWest to get the luas in.

Decided to start with the 2.00 pacers. Had a nice chat with Ultraman before the start. Was good to get some advise on my plan for the race. Just before the off RedRunner came over and introduced himself. Was good to have the company for the first few miles.

I started the race just behind the 2.00 pacers and decided to stay there for the first 4 miles. This ended up being the 4.5miles untill i could find the space to move on. Miles 4-10 were fairly straight forward and i picked up a good few minutes across here. Miles 10-13 where tough but I was very glad i left myself some extra time to deal with these as well as doing some hills in training. They were tough but not as bad as i was expecting. I just had enough left in the tank to push on once the finish was in site.

Came in at 1:55:39 officially. Was delighted with this as the plan was to come in somewhere around 1:55-1:58.

I left thinking that days like today are what running is all about. The atmosphere today was amazing. I can't wait for the full thing now.

Well ya cause its my first proper half :)

Great time for a first one, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Was hoping to run sub 1.40 today knowing it was ambitious. Positioned myself with the 1.40 pacers and the first few miles passed comfortably, but I was blowing a wee bit by Farmleigh (by all accounts a lovely place but I didnt notice one bit of it :D ). Had a nice recovery down Knockmaroon and kept with them more or less until military hill but I felt I was being dropped and was I ever! Kept them in my sights through the s bends but I gave up on catching them. I was spent by mile 12 but got over in 1.40.58 so delighted overall. Did as well as I could have I think with an overly ambitious starting target. If nothing else a great training run for the big one! Well done to all who ran today, some great running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Alanm

I started out a little behind the 1:40 pacers knowing that I normally start out a little quick and that it was down hill for the first mile or so, wasn't the best idea as the kyber was pretty packed making it hard to pass people out. Slowly caught up over the next couple of miles and was comfortably caught up by around mile 3. Found it was quite congested around the pacers and I was still feeling ok so decided to pass them out after the turn at the castleknock gates. The last couple of miles were pretty testing and I could see the pacers catching up with me slowly. Was feck all left in the tank heading down the furze road but, since I hadn't been passed out by the pacers, I was fairly sure I'd make it in under 1:40..

Got a txt confirmation of 1:38:57 while on the way home, delighted - nearly 15 minutes quicker than conn 1/2 back in April :). Took a lot out of me and the poor wife has been left looking after the kids all day as I'm wrecked... Think there might be a chinese and a bottle of wine soon!

Advertisement