Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Found the half very tough today, but now that I'm semi-recovered I realise I really really enjoyed it. Still on a buzz after it, completing it is like winning a match!

My race plan was fine from miles 1 - 10, faltered a bit on the last 3 but still very happy to finish in 1:40:37

Prob relied on the garmin a bit too much and with every mile the actual mile markers were moving further and further away.

Good to meet a couple in Ryan's after, glad I didn't stay too long, 2 pints felt like 10 after the run! Well done everyone and thanks for the advice etc from the more experienced on the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

But I had nothing left, was thinking how can I rub this twice?! Anyone else get that? The mc was brilliant, great wit! Credit to all involved in organising.

Yeah, that thought definitely crossed my mind afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Great running today everyone, great times too. Would have loved to have been there, but was just home from my holidays today. Have an 18 mile LSR tomorrow which I swapped around from last week, so not looking forward to that. Hoping two weeks if over eating and drinking hasn't affected me too much. I was actually pretty sensible on holidays, didn't drink too much and did all my runs bar one short one. Some change from previous years when I brought my trainers on holiday and they sat up like ornaments!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Last two miles my head was screaming 'stop'! Kept going and thought the 2 hour pacers must be behind me.. But somehow I got 1:52 so am pleased! But I had nothing left, was thinking how can I run this twice?! Anyone else get that? The mc was brilliant, great wit! Credit to all involved in organising.

The pace I ran today was approx 40 seconds a kilometre faster than my marathon race pace. It's a big difference and that slowdown will count for many many miles on the day. Add in the effects of a proper taper and I'm confident I will be grand. I'm sure you're in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

So arrived in Athlone bright and early this morning hoping for a sub 1.35 to keep my aspirations of a 3.30 marathon intact. Was a bit anxious as I have only done 8min miles in the marathon training.

Must say organisation was excellent, plenty stewards, guides, easy parking and plenty of people to process registration. Would highly recommend this race to people and an absolute steal for €20. Fair play to them for carrying this out so effectively on their inaugeral year. Other events need to take note...

So met up with career_move where we had convienienty parked right next to each other without even knowing! Good planning!

Scouted out the place for a while and then a couple of trips to the bathroom later i headed for the start line.

I said i'd leave all the "elite runners" at the front of the line and i moved about 40m back. This was a mistake as many overly ambitious locals lined up at the very front :rolleyes: . Then when I saw the 2hr pacer in front of me I knew i was in for trouble.

So off we went with me targeting 7.15-7.20 min/mile average, spent the first mile negotiating the crowd in front of me and was about 1.5miles in before I had some clear road. Then I realised i'd set off too fast (again :rolleyes:, will never learn) as a result of trying to get into position.

Next few miles I was averaging 7mins and felt comfortable enough so i decided to stick with it. At this point a woman kept along side me and I soon realised we were pacing each other in silence. 2 miles later I decided to comment and she said she was thinking the same thing and was aiming for sub 1.35 too. Said we'd try keep it up for another few miles.

At mile 8 we were still side by side but not much chat, passing a good few people on the way. This point I felt pretty good so i kicked on a bit and soon there was no one in front of me so i just plodded away. Few mins later I noticed still no one had passed so I looked around to see them all tucked in behind me while i was doing all the work!

At mile 10, still averaging 7min/miles, thoughts came into my head about trying to break 1:30..I dismissed them straight away and decided to stay even pace and I was soon glad I made that choice as miles 11 and 12 were tough. Looking back I should of brought a gel as that would of really helped but I didnt want anything but water today.

At mile 11 the woman above passed me and made a bit of a gap but I kept in touch (wasnt going to be beaten after all the work) and caught up at mile 12 where we stayed side my side until the home straight, when i decided to kick on,we really helped each other out throughout the day!:)

Didnt have the energy to kick on before that but the finish line motivated me!:pac:

Crossed the line in chip time (1:32:29) and Garmin time (1:31:56) as i started a bit back from the start line.

Woman beside me finished 2 seconds later with the announcer saying she had come 3rd in the women, fair play to her!

New PB for me by 6mins and 7 seconds, pretty delighted but was more satisfied by the fact that the 3.30 marathon is now a real possibility.:)

Waited for career_move at the finish where we discussed our aches and pains together!! Shower in the school gym after was glorious and after made my way to Cork. 400km travelled today but I can report that a crane was not required on my arrival, just about! Pretty sore now but most importantly, no injuries!

So my learnings for the day: Trust the Training!! I know the veterans on here have been saying this all along!

Thanks again to the organisers and to career_move for the company. Well done again with the time!

Well done as well to everyone who raced today. All posted great times! We are in the home stretch....

Now race report done, time for the pub!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

NIce race report Blocky......impressed.com! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

NIce race report Blocky......impressed.com! :D

Forgot the part about nearly knocking out a 6yr old with my over eager high 5 but you had it covered!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done to everyone who ran a Half marathon today. It really is only a taster for the big one.
    • At the Marathon, the crowds will be much bigger and a lot more vocal than Dublin today.
    • You still have 6 weeks of training so there is still work to do, but 90% of the hard slog is behind you.
    • You will have a taper for 2 week so alot less running, much more resting and a bit of Taper madness to drive everyone around you insane;)
    • You have to trust in the training you have been doing for the past 13 weeks and even before that.
    • You will be running at a slower pace than today so you will be able to go a lot further(13.1m more;))
    • You have to have a positive and firm belief in yourself and that you can do it.
    Well done on great running today.

Keep up the good work and stay strong, not long more!!
    Remember rest well, eat well, hydrate everyday and Enjoy!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Younganne wrote: »
    Well done to everyone who ran a Half marathon today. It really is only a taster for the big one.
    • At the Marathon, the crowds will be much bigger and a lot more vocal than Dublin today.
    • You still have 6 weeks of training so there is still work to do, but 90% of the hard slog is behind you.
    • You will have a taper for 2 week so alot less running, much more resting and a bit of Taper madness to drive everyone around you insane;)
    • You have to trust in the training you have been doing for the past 13 weeks and even before that.
    • You will be running at a slower pace than today so you will be able to go a lot further(13.1m more;))
    • You have to have a positive and firm belief in yourself and that you can do it.
    Well done on great running today.

Keep up the good work and stay strong, not long more!!
    Remember rest well, eat well, hydrate everyday and Enjoy!!!:D

Must say, the spectators were very quiet today. There were smallish groups cheering but by in large, most were watching in silence. In contrast, there was very vocal support for the 10k in Swords. Just found it strange that it was so quiet today.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Planned to run 1.45 or faster, finished in 1.43.03 - more than 5 mins off my Clonmel time, so happy with that. Was totally bet by the end - around 11m there was a jelly teddy bear on the road and I was tempted.

Dilbert - I saw that jelly baby and I WAS TEMPTED TOO!!! Hilarious.

Am delighted with my race today. Was advised not to go too hard as that would adversely affect my training over the next few weeks, and as a result I really enjoyed the race today - i was just a few seconds slower each mile than I could have been and that meant it was relatively relaxed. Got a fecker of a stitch at 8 miles which took from the latter part of the race but overall I really enjoyed it. Thanks to all the helpers (scouts etc) and clappers/cheerers - I felt there were more than usual of those.

Home in 1.46.15, 3 mins quicker than last year - happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Wow! I've been away for 2 weeks & have 40+ pages to catch up on (& it's growing as I'm reading...) I'll have to catch up the other 20ish I've skipped or I'll never get to bed!

Was travelling (for study & holidays) since last Sunday morning (1 Sept) til midnight last night; got in a 17m with FiiFii the night before I went away, and was very glad of it. Was lovely to have some company for such a long distance, and encouragement when running up the looooongest road in the world (Blackhorse Avenue, does it ever end??? :confused:) We got to FiiFii's car at the top of the avenue & had only done 15.5m so had to continue on running (past my front door :() to cover the distance. The 14 & 15th miles were horrible, but the last one seemed to be much easier. Sure what's one more mile when you've done 15.5? :p

Heading off on my travels I was full of good intentions :rolleyes: & packed the runners. Only did 2 x 5m the first study week, then came down with a throat infection, completely lost my voice for a few days, missed my 18m LSR, & just did 1 x 5m on my holidays. Trying not to beat myself up about skipping the LSR; when you're sick, you're sick. So 6 weeks of head down & sticking to the plan by the letter now & I think I'll be ok.

For the half-marathon this morning, I achieved a PB of 4/5m25s (home in 2:15:27 by my watch, 2:16:27 by the chip). :D:D:D

Good points: My legs felt nicely rested, so the time off wasn't all bad. I didn't run it flat out, kept a decent steady pace, but actually was running faster than I expected I would. The training is paying off! I think I could have run a teensy bit faster but I wanted to be consistent & not find the tank was empty when I came to the tough hills.
    For the last half-mile-ish I fell into step with a gent in a pink/white top (anyone here?), & the two of us were kind of gently picking up our paces for the home stretch. Then in the very final stage we both BOLTED for the finish line. I just pipped him at the post :p but he definitely shaved a few seconds off my time. No hard feelings on the other side of the line & I shared my cola bottles with him; felt like a team effort finishing together :)

Bad points: Could NOT stop thinking how much I needed to pee for the first 8 miles. Queues were too long before the race, so I popped in when I passed again near 8m. Added a minute to my chip time, but the last 5 miles were far more comfortable! Next time I'll just wait & start the race late if that's what I have to do. Didn't help that I've still got a bit of a cough from last week's illness :mad:
    Also had a really bad night's sleep, but I expect I'll be the same the night before the DCM so it's all training! :rolleyes:
    FiiFii wrote: »
    God darn it, got my first black toenail end of May and waited patiently for over 3 months. JUST about grown out and what happens..? Toenail sore after Saturday's 18 miler and newly grown nail gone black again...:eek: Guess that's put paid to wearing strappy shoes before Christmas...
    Dark nail polish (or a few coats of something pale on that one toe) is your friend! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Saturday 15th September Sligo Half Marathon - Beat The Squirell
    Day started off quite early as I had to pick up race number beforehand. The organisers had advised that pickup could be done between 7 and 8. I reckon they were still there at 9 when we headed off for the half. Anyway being the obident person that I am I was there at around ten past 7. It took all of one minute to do that so I had time to kill. At around quarter past 8 I started getting ready and headed up to do a warm up. Headed out the road for half a mile and back in. Quick toilet stop and then moved over to the track and done a few laps with a bit of stretching thrown in. Felt quite good and done last lap at around HMP.

There was a decent crowd there for this, the first running of this event. Results have under 200 finishing but I would have sworn there were more starting off. Anyway my plan was to try going for a 1.55 or below. Plan B was to get a sub 2 hr. So I was aiming to head out at 8:40ish pace. I had it in my head to start behind the two hour pacer and overtake them early so that I knew that I had a couple of seconds on them on chip time. But when we lined up, the small crowd that was there, I was behind the 1:45 pacer with the 2hr guy a bit back. I reckon I would head off and do my own thing and hopefully not see the 2hr pacer again.

So away we went, 7 seconds later I decided to start my garmin! Early pace was too fast but I eventually managed to settle myself behind a small group and a guy wearing a camel back. He was my pacer for the rest of the first mile (8:27). Miles 2 and 3 had some on and off climbs (8:45 & 8:57) but I was managing ok. I changed my pacer as he was slowing a little too much on the hills. From memory mile 4 was flattish and then 5 was mainly downhill (8:40 & 8:13). Was feeling quite good at this stage and was really just holding myself back as I knew that "The Squirrel" was coming up after the half way point. Mile 6 probably took a little more effort but time (8:41) was ok and I was feeling quite good. Went through the 10k mark (actually I think they had marked 10.17 km for some reason :confused:) and checked my time and noticed that I had a new (unofficial) 10k pb (which was quite soft anyway).

The scenery along this route was quite impressive at times. But I knew that when the pretty lake that was on our right hand side ran out then it was time for the squirrel. It actually came upon me by surprise. I had just taken a gel in advance and then we were turned to the left and faced with this almost vertical climb. This is where the wheels came off. :( I thought I had trained over hills but this made me think again. I just do little bumps in training!

It probably only took 30 seconds of climbing for me to throw in the towel and start walking. It wasn't even easy walking up. (Mile 7 10:54, Mile 8 10:39). It was probably shorter than I thought it would be but it was nearly all walked. Mile times don't look too bad but I had most of mile 7 nearly done before the climb start and got running again near end of mile 8. At this stage I was overtaken by someone I didn't want to be anywhere near me. The 2 hr pacer:(. I decided to put the foot down a little and pass him again. Made a little gap on him too but the next climb put an end to that. I tried to hold on but just didn't seem to have the energy to keep with him. Seating here now I reckon I didn't try hard enough but that's easy to say now. Once he started to pull away I mentally just gave up for a while and started walking again. A mixture of walking and running followed (Mile 9 10:22, Mile 10 11:04, Mile 11 11:21) before I decided to put a bit of effort in a savage something from the run and tried to get in under 2:10. (Mile 12 10:19 and Mile 13 9:51). Was starting to feel good again and back in a decent rythm. But when I went through the 13.1 mark (going by my garmin) there was no sign of the finish line. It didn't come until I had clocked 13.86 on my garmin. (Last .86 8:17). Thought it might have just been my watch but spoke with couple of the pacers afterwards and they were all showing over the distance. It was very hard to judge out there as the markers on route were few and far between and when they were there they were in km. Mental maths on the run not so easy.

Whether it was long or not it doesn't really bother me that much. The biggest regret is that I didn't put the work in when the going got tough. I had around 3 minutes on the 2hr pace at mile 6 and lost that on one climb. I should really have tried even a slow pace up that. And then not tagging on to the pacer when he did catch up. I ended up with a time of 2:14:41 which doesn't really help with guiding me for DCM. Bloody squirrel!

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Day started off quite early as I had to pick up race number beforehand. The organisers had advised that pickup could be done between 7 and 8. I reckon they were still there at 9 when we headed off for the half. Anyway being the obident person that I am I was there at around ten past 7. It took all of one minute to do that so I had time to kill. At around quarter past 8 I started getting ready and headed up to do a warm up. Headed out the road for half a mile and back in. Quick toilet stop and then moved over to the track and done a few laps with a bit of stretching thrown in. Felt quite good and done last lap at around HMP.

There was a decent crowd there for this, the first running of this event. Results have under 200 finishing but I would have sworn there were more starting off. Anyway my plan was to try going for a 1.55 or below. Plan B was to get a sub 2 hr. So I was aiming to head out at 8:40ish pace. I had it in my head to start behind the two hour pacer and overtake them early so that I knew that I had a couple of seconds on them on chip time. But when we lined up, the small crowd that was there, I was behind the 1:45 pacer with the 2hr guy a bit back. I reckon I would head off and do my own thing and hopefully not see the 2hr pacer again.

So away we went, 7 seconds later I decided to start my garmin! Early pace was too fast but I eventually managed to settle myself behind a small group and a guy wearing a camel back. He was my pacer for the rest of the first mile (8:27). Miles 2 and 3 had some on and off climbs (8:45 & 8:57) but I was managing ok. I changed my pacer as he was slowing a little too much on the hills. From memory mile 4 was flattish and then 5 was mainly downhill (8:40 & 8:13). Was feeling quite good at this stage and was really just holding myself back as I knew that "The Squirrel" was coming up after the half way point. Mile 6 probably took a little more effort but time (8:41) was ok and I was feeling quite good. Went through the 10k mark (actually I think they had marked 10.17 km for some reason :confused:) and checked my time and noticed that I had a new (unofficial) 10k pb (which was quite soft anyway).

The scenery along this route was quite impressive at times. But I knew that when the pretty lake that was on our right hand side ran out then it was time for the squirrel. It actually came upon me by surprise. I had just taken a gel in advance and then we were turned to the left and faced with this almost vertical climb. This is where the wheels came off. :( I thought I had trained over hills but this made me think again. I just do little bumps in training!

It probably only took 30 seconds of climbing for me to throw in the towel and start walking. It wasn't even easy walking up. (Mile 7 10:54, Mile 8 10:39). It was probably shorter than I thought it would be but it was nearly all walked. Mile times don't look too bad but I had most of mile 7 nearly done before the climb start and got running again near end of mile 8. At this stage I was overtaken by someone I didn't want to be anywhere near me. The 2 hr pacer:(. I decided to put the foot down a little and pass him again. Made a little gap on him too but the next climb put an end to that. I tried to hold on but just didn't seem to have the energy to keep with him. Seating here now I reckon I didn't try hard enough but that's easy to say now. Once he started to pull away I mentally just gave up for a while and started walking again. A mixture of walking and running followed (Mile 9 10:22, Mile 10 11:04, Mile 11 11:21) before I decided to put a bit of effort in a savage something from the run and tried to get in under 2:10. (Mile 12 10:19 and Mile 13 9:51). Was starting to feel good again and back in a decent rythm. But when I went through the 13.1 mark (going by my garmin) there was no sign of the finish line. It didn't come until I had clocked 13.86 on my garmin. (Last .86 8:17). Thought it might have just been my watch but spoke with couple of the pacers afterwards and they were all showing over the distance. It was very hard to judge out there as the markers on route were few and far between and when they were there they were in km. Mental maths on the run not so easy.

Whether it was long or not it doesn't really bother me that much. The biggest regret is that I didn't put the work in when the going got tough. I had around 3 minutes on the 2hr pace at mile 6 and lost that on one climb. I should really have tried even a slow pace up that. And then not tagging on to the pacer when he did catch up. I ended up with a time of 2:14:41 which doesn't really help with guiding me for DCM. Bloody squirrel!

I'd say you were having a bad day. Myself and yourself are doing about the same training and times were close enough in 10km race too. I expected you in under 2hrs.
    I do know the feeling you were having though, something similar has happened me in the past and once you decide to walk I reckon you just lose faith and thats it. Its a bummer.

rasher_m wrote: »
    I'd say you were having a bad day. Myself and yourself are doing about the same training and times were close enough in 10km race too. I expected you in under 2hrs.
    I do know the feeling you were having though, something similar has happened me in the past and once you decide to walk I reckon you just lose faith and thats it. Its a bummer.

Thanks and congrats on your own time. Just wasn't meant to be today. Will put it down as more experience gained I guess. The annoyed feeling probably will last till next run on Tuesday.

Thanks and congrats on your own time. Just wasn't meant to be today. Will put it down as more experience gained I guess. The annoyed feeling probably will last till next run on Tuesday.

Well don't want to start putting the mockers on myself for the DCM saying this stuff to you today...could very easily be me in the marathon, hopefully not. But yeah it was just a bad day. I've been reading your blog and you and me are clocking the same times in training etc.

rasher_m wrote: »
    Well don't want to start putting the mockers on myself for the DCM saying this stuff to you today...could very easily be me in the marathon, hopefully not. But yeah it was just a bad day. I've been reading your blog and you and me are clocking the same times in training etc.

Going by the formula twice your half plus 10% you would looking at 4:15 for marathon yourself. Have you thought about it yet?

Think I will probably go with the 4:15 pacers. That was the way I was leaning before today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Hi dazza, the 1:45 guy was myself. Don't be too hard on yourself, that was a tough course and you'll have learnt a lot from it today!

neilc wrote: »
    Hi dazza, the 1:45 guy was myself. Don't be too hard on yourself, that was a tough course and you'll have learnt a lot from it today!

Thanks neilc, probably wasn't easy for you guys either trying to keep people going up that hill.

Going by the formula twice your half plus 10% you would looking at 4:15 for marathon yourself. Have you thought about it yet?

Think I will probably go with the 4:15 pacers. That was the way I was leaning before today.

Yeah after analysing how I felt after 13 miles today, theres no way I could finish the marathon at that pace. I was jacked afterwards.
    I'm hoping just to finish it but would be happy with sub 4.30
    I didn't run the Frank Duffy 10 miler last month so had no experience of a run over 10km this year and had forgotten how tough it actually is.
    I think before today I had a nice little thought in my head hoping for about a 4 hr marathon but its true that you would need to be comfortable with 1.50 finish to try for the 4 hrs.

I was speaking to a guy going back to the car who done the marathon last year for the first time. He said theres two hills as tough as today and they come at mile 8 and mile 19 which is a good eye opener.
    He said he went out too fast and ran the first half at 1.47 (compared to his 1.54 today) which was way too fast for him and that he blew up at 20 miles between lack of hydration and going out too quick but still managed to finish it at 4.15 between walking and running. His advice was just to enjoy the marathon and not worry about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

For any data geeks, this is my Garmin data from today: http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/223062097'

I'm also proud to note that Mrs. Dilbert finished 7th in her category today and 48th woman overall.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Well done to all who ran the Half today..

I was pretty apprehensive over the last few days, but this morning, after taking a few days off, I woke up feeling pretty confident.

I had skipped last week's LSR due to knee pain, so I decided today to run the 3 miles from my gaff to the start line. Got there just as the last wave was taking off, so in I went!

Knees were a little sore but once I got into a rhythm with the crowd, they eased off. Pretty much stayed that way til the very end, so I'm pleased with that. Post run - my knees and feet are pretty sore, but I had to walk home after a 16 mile run, so I'm not surprised.

Overall, was happy with my run. I felt I ran strong throughout, although was surprised I didn't beat my last Half, which was a hilly Achill Half Marathon. I came in at 2.04, whereas I did Achill in 2.03. I beat my last Dublin Half by 3 minutes though.

For some reason - and I don't know why - I was expecting small water bottles at the stations instead of cups, and that threw my gel timing off. That was a bit annoying, but probably my own fault.. However, the water stations were pretty badly run (by kids!!??) for those in the later waves. Anyone else experience the abundance of cups with no water in them?? It's a lesson learnt for the big day - I won't be depending on water stations. I'll be carrying my own water bottle.. Something I didn't want to do, but there you go!

Happy enough with my time and I enjoyed the day/experience. 18 mile LSR next week. I'm shuddering at the thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Just in the door from a hen party - surprisingly enough I was one of the most energetic on the dance floor tonight even after the half this morning, must be all those endorphins...:D

So I did say here on Fri that I was gonna take it easy on the half but iced and massaged the leg that evening and woke up feeling fine... Gentle jog to warm up and the start line and all still good so figured go at comfortableish pace until feel a twinge and then could back off. V busy for first couple of miles so lot of jostling and skipping in and out of people to get through. Halfway through 1st mile going downhill was some guy cycling a rickshaw type thing...:confused: Not sure if he was part of the race or just got caught up.. Think for charity which fair play but took up half the road so we were all edging each other trying to get by..

Got to see the penguins as past the zoo just after the 2 mile mark which always puts a smile on my face.. Didn't target a pace but found myself doing 10min miles for first 4 miles (freakily bang on without even trying..) and everything still good so started to think maybe if could keep this up might get a 2.10. Opened a gel at this stage as learnt from the 10 miler to not eat too close to race and was starting to feel hungry. Route through Farmleigh was lovely (esp the nice downhill when you come out!!) and by time got to 7mile mark found I was doing bout 9.30min miles and still feeling relatively fresh..

Hit the 10 mile mark outside a whole 3 mins faster than the race a few weeks ago (did NOT have a good day) and that's when it got REALLY tough... Had done that route up military hill and beyond a few times on training runs but can slow right down then, so tough when you're trying to keep a pace.. Could see everyone around me in same position. Started to feel nauseous and trouble breathing so lent forward a bit to help the stomach, stared at ground so wouldn't be put off by hill and just started counting to 60 - figured if did this 20 times at my pace it would bring me to the home stretch... Worked cos when finally turned off towards the finish line breathing and stomach back to normal and managed to sprint in the last bit. Got a txt only 2 mins after crossing - just over 2.06 which was 3 mins better than the half I did in July that I struggled a lot more on.

Delighted with the improvement, on both time and that I did it non stop (which I find v tough..). Not just physically better but mentally I was comfortable most of the way & even when got tough, knew from my LSR's that I could easily do the distance if i chose to slow down a bit. Also, confidence boost after 10 miler went so bad so for those who it didn't go as well for, take heart that it was just a bad day and your hard training will pay off next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭elPadrino

Very happy with how today went. I was quite nervous heading into this, and interested to see if I would be able to up my pace after all the slow training.

Things started badly as I was about half way down the group headed by the 1:40 pacers, and I knew that this would mean congested roads for the first while. My previous PB was 1:43 (ish) and I was aiming to go a few minutes quicker and beat those pacers home. The congestion meant I was losing ground for the first three kms, but I now feel that this slower pace stood to me later in the race. After that, I was able to settle into my target pace of 4 Mins 44/km as we made our way up the North Road. At this stage I set a new target for myself. I could just about make out the blue pacer flags in the distance and I resolved to at be at least within striking distance of them once I got to the hills.

My pace picked up slightly once I got up close to the Castleknock gates, and this continued all the way down to the Parkgate exit. I was feeling reasonably good at this stage. I knew the hills were approaching and was worried that I might lose too much time tackling them. As I passed the water station, I had a clear view of the flags. My pace actually increased slightly as I started up the first hill, but I wasnt sure if I could keep this up. I could. By the time I got to the last ascent I was up with the pacer at the back. Happy that my jpb was done, I evened out the pace and just focussed on keeping going. I had no intention of trying to catch the other two pacers who were only slightly further up the road. On the final straight, the encouragement from the crowd and the announcer really got to me and I picked it up once more. I overtook the first pacer as I crossed the line, coming home in 1:39 even.

I am very pleased that all the training is paying off. Id like to thank the pacers for their help today, even though I wasn't running with them for most of the race. The very sight of those blue flags kept me going at times. I thought the event was very well organised overall, but wonder about the wisdom of the bag-drop set-up. Was waiting ages for my bag afterwards and can only imagine it got worse as more and more people finished.

All that remains now, is to set a goal pace for the big one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Up early (not been a great nights sleep - our little one chose last night to have a series of nightmares :( only sorted out when she set up camp in our bed :))

Well done on your HM run esp after being up with your little one. I've had something similar last night.

Yesterday, I decided not to do my 12 mile lsr. It sounds a bit dramatic but I couldn't mentally or physically face it. Instead I'd a relaxing day with my family and went for a swim in the new local pool - first day opening. All the half marathon stories are encouraging. I'll head out soon as I'm trying to get used to running nearer the start time of the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Alanm

elPadrino wrote: »

All that remains now, is to set a goal pace for the big one :)

Be interested to hear what you decide on/what your thoughts are right now - I had a similar time yesterday. The McMillan calculator puts us at 3:28; 2 * 1/2 time + 10% is around 3:38 both of which sound much faster than I thought I could do. I'm starting to think about trying to hang onto the 3:45 pacers or maybe I should cop on and be happy to go with the 4 hr guys in the hope of finishing...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Alanm wrote: »
    Be interested to hear what you decide on/what your thoughts are right now - I had a similar time yesterday. The McMillan calculator puts us at 3:28; 2 * 1/2 time + 10% is around 3:38 both of which sound much faster than I thought I could do. I'm starting to think about trying to hang onto the 3:45 pacers or maybe I should cop on and be happy to go with the 4 hr guys in the hope of finishing...

Be conservative for your first, make sure to enjoy it, there's nothing surer to make it a nightmare than heading out with too fast a pace band.

Go with the 3:45's, (Menoscemo was the rear 1:40 pacer yesterday, he'll be in the 3:45 band for the full) if you're feeling good at 22 miles you can push on, if not you won't be suffering......a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 saligator

Woke up this morning feeling a bit tired and thought maybe i'd skip this mornings easy run. got up and the Great North Run was on the telly......ok ok universe, i get the message! i'm out the door in a few mins.

anybody do their LSR's on Mondays? I'll be doing 18m at around 10.30/m pace in Phoenix Park from 10am tomorrow if anyone wants to join me, i'd love some company (my usual running partner got a free holiday to Magaluf....not jealous, at all i swear) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Woke up Friday morning with a heavy head, nose running, sore throat and generally felt losey, went into work from 12-10 then got home hot whiskey and bed and was thinking of pulling out just before bed...

Woke up Saturday and felt no better but i've put in so much training and have been so dedicated a head cold wasn't stopping me, went in with a friend and was delighted getting off the bus as the atmosphere was brilliant. We moved away from each other at the start but after 3 tough miles and he really helped me (although we didnt speak to each other for about 9miles) we both knew we were pulling each other through, slightly odd at mile 6 that it was the last water station but then on appeared later, found the going tough for the last three miles as I was still feeling the effects of my head cold...
    Got to the line at 1:40:56 which is a minute more than my personal best so I was happy and sad as I felt during the week I could go sub100 but to be fair it wasnt on for awhile, Now wondering what time to do for the full marathon now?? Anyone help me on this?? Also I was on DCM Novices training log but cant seem to find it now if anyone can send me the link... Congrats to all and were all on our way to the big one now!

doledude86 wrote: »
    Also I was on DCM Novices training log but cant seem to find it now if anyone can send me the link... Congrats to all and were all on our way to the big one now!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtQvl8pDuH3dEs0eDk2QUE4SUFRQVhTZlV1elNUdlE#gid=19

• Advertisement

On the subject of the sheet...

Week 13 ready to go.
    We welcome back ahnowbrowncow (put back in the main section)
    We lost a couple more this week but we're moving forward with 56 people still on for the October start.
    16,659 miles logged as at the time of posting this.

Advertisement