Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Ah_go_on wrote: »
    Missed all my midweek runs last week as I was ill and as a result couldn't do the half on Saturday. Only feeling back to normal now and will do a 5 miler tonight (following HH novice 2). Feel really bad for missing all last weeks runs, have done every LSR for the program and missed a few midweek runs, will I be ok come marathon day???:confused::confused:

Course you will Ah Go On! You were better to take the week off and make sure you were back to 100%. You could have done yourself more damage by running while ill. In fact, the rest will probably have done you good!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Missed my LSR last weekend due to beer so went for 12k Monday & 12k last night to try in my own mind to make up some ground (excuse the pun):eek: Anyway, felt like crap during the run on Monday, felt better last night,plan to do 5 miles on Thursday & 20 miles on Saturday.
    Now for the biggie:eek:,I've been delaying entering as I didnt know if I'd be able for it or not & on the run last night I said to myself FFS will you cop on to yourself & enter because I'm only putting extra negative thoughts & pressure on myself by not doing it now & with tapering etc I'll drive myself & everyone in the house mad for the next two weeks until registration closes.So this morning I took a step that I only always dreamed about finally entered:eek::eek: I need to go for a cup of coffee now though to let it sink in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Trampas

docrock wrote: »
    I said to myself FFS will you cop on to yourself

It is HTFU

Good stuff in signing up

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Trampas wrote: »
    It is HTFU

In fairness I had the soundtrack to rocky on the ipod at the time:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

docrock wrote: »
    Missed my LSR last weekend due to beer so went for 12k Monday & 12k last night to try in my own mind to make up some ground (excuse the pun):eek: Anyway, felt like crap during the run on Monday, felt better last night,plan to do 5 miles on Thursday & 20 miles on Saturday.
    Now for the biggie:eek:,I've been delaying entering as I didnt know if I'd be able for it or not & on the run last night I said to myself FFS will you cop on to yourself & enter because I'm only putting extra negative thoughts & pressure on myself by not doing it now & with tapering etc I'll drive myself & everyone in the house mad for the next two weeks until registration closes.So this morning I took a step that I only always dreamed about finally entered:eek::eek: I need to go for a cup of coffee now though to let it sink in.

I was the same, putting it off and putting it off but finally bit the bullet and entered on Sunday. It was a relief and now I'm ultra focussed, 6 weeks is no time away and the hard work done now over the next 4 weeks in particular will be all worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Back running this week after a week of doing nothing due to me being a big softie.

I had a leg massage a while back thinking it would be great for me. Whilst paying, alarm bells started to ring when the young lady said I'd be sore for a day or two. Um, what ? That's not what I came in here for ? Short of it was that my legs were knackered for over a week :(

14kms on Monday, and 25kms last night. Legs felt like crap last night and basically had to walk/run the last 3 kms or so.

Slow recovery run planned for tonight to see if I can breathe some new life into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Kicked 18 miles of ass this morning, It was like all the training and advice up to now came together to let me comfortably and enjoyably run 18 miles, amazing! I couldn't decide where to run, I usually do an out and back on the DCM course from Templeogue to Ballsbridge but I'm sick of that at this stage, so I thought maybe run the course the other direction, Fortfield Rd, Kimmage, Walkinstown etc but I wasn't feeling the love for that option it would be really busy roads to cross, Walkinstown roundabout etc so I decided to run local loops. First loop was 8 miles, the only problem I had was slowing down enough, I kept speeding up so had to keep looking at the watch to keep myself slow. I felt like I was passed by every recreational runner on the Southside of Dublin this morning, I felt I needed to wear a big sign saying, "I'm running this slow on purpose!" Mile two saw me arrive at Stocking lane hill which our club uses for hill training (its' far worse than anything to be encountered on the DCM course) I trotted up and continued on. I was determined to get the fueling right today so I took a gel at mile 5. Continued on happily and felt the need of a pee about mile 8 which left me nearly home so I ran home quickly used the facilities and trotted on again. Ate the energy bar thing that came in our HM goody bag at mile 8. It wasn't too bad it went down ok. I ran down then to Templeogue to the local bike shop and ran in and grabbed a couple more gels, continued on down to Bushy park went in and did a loop. That saw me up to mile 10, had a gel (a gu one mint choc flavour which was recommended early in this thread, it was really nice, went down well) Still 8 miles left and couldn't really decide where to go, thought to hell I'll do the 8 mile I did earlier in the reverse direction, that saw me back at Stocking lane hill coming the opposite way at mile 13. Running this hill is worse from this direction than the earlier one but I thought I'm not taking any sh1te from hills on the big day so HTFU. Passed a cyclist in full pro cycle gear trying to get up it on his bike, he couldn't he got off and walked at that stage I was feeling invincible and had to resist the urge to put my hand on his back and give him a push up! Between whatever was in that GU stuff and the running endorphins I was a happy camper. I think somewhere between July and now I've turned into a distance runner, at mile 9 in the half marathon I was enjoying myself immensely and at mile 14 today I was bopping along to my Ipod. Had my last gel at mile 13 and fuel wise I was fine until 18. Made the last mile another bad uphill one (Roebuck Rd I have you in my sights) 18 miles done and dusted. Hopped into the shops to get something nice for my lunch which I felt I earned and 5 min walk home. I cannot believe how well that went. I could have kept going definitely could have managed 20 and I didn't make it easy on myself through in some nasty hills to see what would happen. Huge confidence boost the 20 miler holds no fear now. Delighted with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Kicked 18 miles of ass this morning, It was like all the training and advice up to now came together to let me comfortably and enjoyably run 18 miles, amazing! I couldn't decide where to run, I usually do an out and back on the DCM course from Templeogue to Ballsbridge but I'm sick of that at this stage, so I thought maybe run the course the other direction, Fortfield Rd, Kimmage, Walkinstown etc but I wasn't feeling the love for that option it would be really busy roads to cross, Walkinstown roundabout etc so I decided to run local loops. First loop was 8 miles, the only problem I had was slowing down enough, I kept speeding up so had to keep looking at the watch to keep myself slow. I felt like I was passed by every recreational runner on the Southside of Dublin this morning, I felt I needed to wear a big sign saying, "I'm running this slow on purpose!" Mile two saw me arrive at Stocking lane hill which our club uses for hill training (its' far worse than anything to be encountered on the DCM course) I trotted up and continued on. I was determined to get the fueling right today so I took a gel at mile 5. Continued on happily and felt the need of a pee about mile 8 which left me nearly home so I ran home quickly used the facilities and trotted on again. Ate the energy bar thing that came in our HM goody bag at mile 8. It wasn't too bad it went down ok. I ran down then to Templeogue to the local bike shop and ran in and grabbed a couple more gels, continued on down to Bushy park went in and did a loop. That saw me up to mile 10, had a gel (a gu one mint choc flavour which was recommended early in this thread, it was really nice, went down well) Still 8 miles left and couldn't really decide where to go, thought to hell I'll do the 8 mile I did earlier in the reverse direction, that saw me back at Stocking lane hill coming the opposite way at mile 13. Running this hill is worse from this direction than the earlier one but I thought I'm not taking any sh1te from hills on the big day so HTFU. Passed a cyclist in full pro cycle gear trying to get up it on his bike, he couldn't he got off and walked at that stage I was feeling invincible and had to resist the urge to put my hand on his back and give him a push up! Between whatever was in that GU stuff and the running endorphins I was a happy camper. I think somewhere between July and now I've turned into a distance runner, at mile 9 in the half marathon I was enjoying myself immensely and at mile 14 today I was bopping along to my Ipod. Had my last gel at mile 13 and fuel wise I was fine until 18. Made the last mile another bad uphill one (Roebuck Rd I have you in my sights) 18 miles done and dusted. Hopped into the shops to get something nice for my lunch which I felt I earned and 5 min walk home. I cannot believe how well that went. I could have kept going definitely could have managed 20 and I didn't make it easy on myself through in some nasty hills to see what would happen. Huge confidence boost the 20 miler holds no fear now. Delighted with myself.
    Great run report DeeDee! I love it when a run goes well and gives you a real confidence boost! I did my 18 miles on Sunday morning and like yourself, felt pretty good after it. Normally after a LSR, I’m saying to myself “I can’t believe I have to run x more miles on the big day” on Sunday, I was saying “yeah, I could push another 8 mils out”. My issue on Sunday was my pacing was a bit fast, I had a lunch out planned and I was conscious of being short of time. Going to really try and pace myself properly for the last two long runs.

Loved the fact that you got yourself a nice lunch as a reward, I think it’s nice to treat yourself after a great run and you’re right, you did deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Missed all my midweek runs last week as I was ill and as a result couldn't do the half on Saturday. Only feeling back to normal now and will do a 5 miler tonight (following HH novice 2). Feel really bad for missing all last weeks runs, have done every LSR for the program and missed a few midweek runs, will I be ok come marathon day???:confused::confused:
    I was the same over the last 2 weeks, missed a few midweek runs & my 18m LSR due to sickness & travel, but (assuming I don't get sick again) I'm just going to put my head down for 6 weeks, do everything Hal & Anne tell me, and I am going to complete my first marathon! And so can you! :)
    I was the same about being nervous joining but I've never had anything but encouragement, plus when you join you'll have a marathon under your belt, there's no way everyone else will have done one. Just don't wear your medal down to your first nights training!!
    Deedee2012, if (or when :)) I earn a marathon finisher medal, I'm NEVER taking it off! :D
    Also well done on your 18m run! You make it sound so easy! :p Can I ask where did you buy the Gu Mint Chocolate gels? I'm all out & these sound much tastier than the isogels!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Either I’m getting taper madness early or I’m just becoming obsessed with the marathon and all that it involves. I have found myself sitting in work and at a committee meeting yesterday evening thinking “it doesn’t really matter!”. If I’m not running, I’m thinking about running, my knees, blisters, gels, water bottles, runners, fundraising in work/the school/local pub, who’ll be there to support me on the day etc etc. Without this site I would have driven my very supportive husband daft....even though I think I’m doing a bit of that anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Thanks a million. Ill go for the faster option and if training doesn't go well I'll move down to slower. cheers for the advice I wouldn't have known I could move down otherwise.

You can definitely move to the slower wave. They won’t give you a different number but if you go to the help desk when you collect your race number they will give you a sticker to allow you into that group.

The reason I know this is because in December I signed up for the marathon (whilst having some red wine and chocolate biscuits!). I wasn’t running at the time so had no idea and I picked the second wave. Little did I know that this was unrealistic and much too fast for me. Recently I contacted the organisers as I realised that it’s better for me to start in the third wave. Writing this has made me realise that I’ve come a long way with my running this year. Although I’m not very fast, I always cover the distances in the plan. My goal is to finish the marathon and have fun along the way whilst raising some money for charity. So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I picked the 3rd wave but now want to move to 2nd, can I do that? I emailed them weeks ago but no reply.
    Haven't been out since the half, shin is very sore on left and tendon on right, been to physio, rest and exercises! Miss the training, and afraid either I'll get unfit laying around stuffing my face or/and the injury will stay too long! Really want a lsr this weekend! Got a cycle in but it's not the same 🚲

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mrs Noc wrote: »
    You can definitely move to the slower wave. They won’t give you a different number but if you go to the help desk when you collect your race number they will give you a sticker to allow you into that group.
    I picked the 3rd wave but now want to move to 2nd, can I do that? I emailed them weeks ago but no reply.

You need to get that sticker from the help desk to move up a wave. There's no problem moving down a wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Trampas

I think I picked wave 2. anyway of knowing from my number? as i entered back in may

number is 6161

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Trampas wrote: »
    I think I picked wave 2. anyway of knowing from my number? as i entered back in may

number is 6161

There's waves...? :confused:Don't remember anything when signing up.. is this just staggered start times and does it matter what wave I'm in?? Am aiming for 4.45 so assumed i'd be near the back somewhere.....

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Can I ask where did you buy the Gu Mint Chocolate gels? I'm all out & these sound much tastier than the isogels!

Can get them in Base2Race & Triathlon store in Fonthill retail park (near Liffey Valley)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

Like a few other people this mornings early morning run was the first one where I really felt the cold and my hands felt like blocks of ice the whole way round so I think it's time to invest in a pair of running gloves :)

It made me think about what I will be wearing on the day of the marathon. As all the trainng took place during the summer I had my comfy reliable running vest and shorts in my mind but I reckon I'll have to have a rethink - what are other people planning on wearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Bad run tonight. Usually takes a couple of kilometres to loosen up and for pain to disappear from shins and ankles. Tonight though it just got worse and worse to a point where I was running with a limp on each leg. I'm sure I looked comical. When the hips and back started hurting (presumably from awkward compensating running) I figured the best thing to do was finish at a walk. It was only a 4 mile run but I think I may cycle for the rest of the week and stay off impact running until Monday's LSR

FiiFii wrote: »
    Can I ask where did you buy the Gu Mint Chocolate gels? I'm all out & these sound much tastier than the isogels!

Can get them in Base2Race & Triathlon store in Fonthill retail park (near Liffey Valley)

I came across them in our local cycle shop, they taste exactly like a melted mint crisp as a previous poster said, am going to stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Did my 9 mile midweek run this evening. Actually ended up doing 10.. just to see if there was any fuel left in the tank after concentrating on doing 9.. There was, but I probably should have stuck to 9 - my feet started getting sore during mile 10. A result of walking 3 miles home after my LSR on Saturday.

Funny - I never thought I'd see a 9 mile run as 'only a 9 mile run'. I guess that's what running longer and longer distances does to your brain.

Legs were still quite tired after Saturday's 16, and if my feet are still sore tomorrow, I'm going to skip my 5mile and rest up til Saturday's scheduled 18m. Need to be in reasonable shape to attempt that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

After the disappointment of my half at the weekend, I went out for a 16km run tonight, my first long run since the half. Felt very comfortable all the way around so ran 4km at a fast pace in the middle of the run, and managed a sprint finish over the last km. Felt good for the whole run and i'm not stiff after the run, so i'm happier than I was. Still dreading the 29th October though, still feels like it'll be a massive task to get around. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

Hey all
    am only getting chance to post now for first time since saturday. Hope everyone was happy with their weekends running especially anyone that did any of the halfs. I did Dublin, lets just say it didnt go to plan. Wont go into a full race report, but things were obviously not going to go well as I was 20 minutes late to the start. Still did the race but had spent so much energy running to the start and was a bit panicked for the first few miles it really affected my race. I really struggled from Mile 10 onwards after going back into the park via the chapelizod gate that hill was a killer. Did a lot of walking in last 3 miles and my head really got the better of me. This was my second half after Clonmel in August my time for that was 2:17:29. Chip didnt work for dublin probably because i was late crossing start so my watch says 2:22:48 which was way off what I was hoping for. I was obviously hoping to improve on time and as this was last race for me before DCM wanted to use it to gauge my fitness and get a decent estimate of time potential but none of that went to plan. Anyway onwards and upwards and a big lesson learned. Week since hasnt been great either tuesday 4 miles was fine but went out for 9 miles this morning only managed 4 had to turn back after 2 with really bad shin pains and walked/hobbled the way back. Have been doing plenty of stretching and foam rolling all day so will do 5 planned tomorrow see how that goes and if sore again guess it's back to the physio. Really cant afford to miss any more training though so if its a rest think that may be the end of the dream for 2012. Anyway I only meant this to be a short post so I'll stop moaning now. I'll keep ya posted on my progress and try to be better with posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

You wil be fine. You have most if the hard work done already. I missed a good few runs due to illness a couple of weeks ago and like you I felt totally guilty. Once you get a couple of shorter runs in this week and your long run at the weekend, you will be back on track. A colleague of mine runs marathons regularly and says that listening to ur body us more important than missing short runs during the week. If your body is telling you that it is exhausted give it a break.
    Welcome back!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Did my 9 mile midweek run this evening. Actually ended up doing 10.. just to see if there was any fuel left in the tank after concentrating on doing 9.. There was, but I probably should have stuck to 9 - my feet started getting sore during mile 10. A result of walking 3 miles home after my LSR on Saturday.

Funny - I never thought I'd see a 9 mile run as 'only a 9 mile run'. I guess that's what running longer and longer distances does to your brain.

Legs were still quite tired after Saturday's 16, and if my feet are still sore tomorrow, I'm going to skip my 5mile and rest up til Saturday's scheduled 18m. Need to be in reasonable shape to attempt that!

Reading your post was like exactly what I was about to post but u got there before me.
    I ran 10 instead of 9 this eve due to miscalculated route. My knees were complaining badly in the last mile. I am contemplating resting until sat in prep for 18 on sat. I am trying to convince myself that it's the right thing to do but my conscience is telling me to stick to the schedule. Argh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

peggysue2 wrote: »
    Like a few other people this mornings early morning run was the first one where I really felt the cold and my hands felt like blocks of ice the whole way round so I think it's time to invest in a pair of running gloves :)

It made me think about what I will be wearing on the day of the marathon. As all the trainng took place during the summer I had my comfy reliable running vest and shorts in my mind but I reckon I'll have to have a rethink - what are other people planning on wearing?

Spent a good bit of time agonising this very point last year. Ended up going with the thought process that a singlet would be too cold and long sleeves too warm, so just a normal technical running top. Did buy a cheap pair of gloves that I wore for the 1st 2-3 miles then threw away.
    This year I'll be going in a white sleeveless number, very popular on the catwalks of Lifestyle & Elvery's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I don't know what everyone already is planning on wearing but I've got a well-used technical t-shirt on which I got my name printed before Edinburgh. It was on my sister-in-law's advice, having run London a few years ago - she said people would cheer me by name and that it would give me a great boost when the going got tough. And she was dead right - the crowd were great and every time someone called my name it was like getting a handful of jelly babies!

So my top tip is, when you still have plenty of time, pick a comfortable top and get your name printed on it and keep it for the big day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Having little experience of pacing myself for races and dreading the thoughts of blowing up a mile from the finish I finished the Frank Duffy sprinting to a 1:22:23 and in the halfer on saturday was at 1:19 for 10miles and finished sprinting again for a 1:44:22.

So tonight despite feeling pretty tired decided I'd map 10 miles out and go for it as best as I could. After 10k I nearly stopped and called it a day feeling wrecked as the rain started to fall but kept the pace going and was ecstatic to finish in 1:14:30.

McMillian says I could get close to 3:30 for the big one at that pace......still not sure if its worth the risk .....might still aim for 3:40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

finty wrote: »
    Having little experience of pacing myself for races and dreading the thoughts of blowing up a mile from the finish I finished the Frank Duffy sprinting to a 1:22:23 and in the halfer on saturday was at 1:19 for 10miles and finished sprinting again for a 1:44:22.

So tonight despite feeling pretty tired decided I'd map 10 miles out and go for it as best as I could. After 10k I nearly stopped and called it a day feeling wrecked as the rain started to fall but kept the pace going and was ecstatic to finish in 1:14:30.

McMillian says I could get close to 3:30 for the big one at that pace......still not sure if its worth the risk .....might still aim for 3:40

Well done on tonight's run but be very careful of this kind of thing. It's a real temptation to go racing these kind of runs but try to stick to plans. Conventional wisdom is to allow 1 day per mile raced recovery before racing again, so for a HM you should wait almost 2 weeks. Racing too much is a huge injury risk. You'll find that even pros will only run esay for at least a week after racing a HM so at least make sure your runs for the next week are nice and slow.

I really wouldn't bother with Mcmillan if I were you for a marathon prediction. If you read the small print in Mcmillan it says the predictions are based on runner being properly trained for a distance. For a marathon that would mean a base of years runing 1000's of miles/year and a marathon programme averaging 70 miles+ per week (elite marathoners would run in excess of 120 miles per week).

One of the 'conventional wisdom' calculators says that you will generally run 3 times your 10 mile race time, so based on that I'd say go with the 3:45 pacers. If you are feeling good after 18-20 miles you can always speed up and likely get close to 3:40.

Best of luck and take it easy for a while. The last thing you want is not to make the start line.

After yesterday's adventures just walking today is posing a serious challenge. Getting downstairs this morning was a complicated sideways crab like movement. My top tip next year for any newbies hoping to run DCM 2013 will be buy a bungalow first!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

After yesterday's adventures just walking today is posing a serious challenge. Getting downstairs this morning was a complicated sideways crab like movement. My top tip next year for any newbies hoping to run DCM 2013 will be buy a bungalow first!

Or do a lot of stretching following the session? Might be cheaper :-)

Advertisement