Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Trampas wrote: »
    I think I picked wave 2. anyway of knowing from my number? as i entered back in may

number is 6161

Hi Trampas,

I'm 6343 so you're probably in the same as me which is Wave 2 (not 100% on that but pretty sure, it was back in May when I signed up)
    RayCun wrote: »

Wave 2 is 3.30 to 4.15, isn't it? Sounds about right.

I think wave 2 was 3:45 to 4:15. (1 is sub 3:45, 3 is post 4:15).

Which brings me to my next question - will the 3:45 pacers be in wave 2 or wave 1? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

miguelk wrote: »

I think wave 2 was 3:45 to 4:15. (1 is sub 3:45, 3 is post 4:15).

Which brings me to my next question - will the 3:45 pacers be in wave 2 or wave 1? Thanks!
    You are right and the 3.45 pacers will be leading out wave 2 while the 4.15s will lead out the third wave.

Doing my 19 miler in the pheonix park early on Sunday morning. Can only do a 7am start though if anyone is willing?

In case anyone was tempted (doubt it, bit early) change of plan. lsr tonight instead, wedding tomorrow and can recover over the weekend then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    After yesterday's adventures just walking today is posing a serious challenge. Getting downstairs this morning was a complicated sideways crab like movement. My top tip next year for any newbies hoping to run DCM 2013 will be buy a bungalow first!

Walk down the stairs backwards :)

(I'm not kidding, it's much easier)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

After yesterday's adventures just walking today is posing a serious challenge. Getting downstairs this morning was a complicated sideways crab like movement

Been there lots of times,I find that once the day wears on I tend to loosen out a bit - as someone else said plenty stretching will help but I dont think theres any immediate cure for it unless you have a masseur,sauna & jacuzzi upstairs:eek::eek::D:D

• Advertisement

docrock wrote: »
    Been there lots of times,I find that once the day wears on I tend to loosen out a bit - as someone else said plenty stretching will help but I dont think theres any immediate cure for it unless you have a masseur,sauna & jacuzzi upstairs:eek::eek::D:D

I hear these guys have a stall this year at the expo, they'll make a killing. link

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

docrock wrote: »

I hear these guys have a stall this year at the expo, they'll make a killing. link

I'm ordering mine now in advance of the 20 miler

FiiFii wrote: »
    There's waves...? :confused:Don't remember anything when signing up.. is this just staggered start times and does it matter what wave I'm in?? Am aiming for 4.45 so assumed i'd be near the back somewhere.....

I only entered yesterday, went for the middle wave from 3.45 to 4.15 & my number is 9302 so I'd say that once regristration closes they go from 1 to whatever orange numbers for the people in the first wave & so on for each wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 morann

After yesterday's adventures just walking today is posing a serious challenge. Getting downstairs this morning was a complicated sideways crab like movement. My top tip next year for any newbies hoping to run DCM 2013 will be buy a bungalow first!

I find a cycle next day is best or even later the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

A Hydrotherapy pool is great if you have access to one. Or go for a walk in the sea.

There's a hydrotherapy pool at my local Aura leisure centre. I hear great reports of how it helps recovery. I plan to use it for a couple of sessions during taper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Trampas

Need advice. I need to book a break for a few days after the marathon to relax with herself since we are both running the marathon.

any suggestions where.

budget maybe €300 for 2 nights with a spa treatment for herself with maybe a dinner on a night.

I will survive on a few pints :D

Location prefer away from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 39 morann

Need advice. I need to book a break for a few days after the marathon to relax with herself since we are both running the marathon.

any suggestions where.

budget maybe €300 for 2 nights with a spa treatment for herself with maybe a dinner on a night.

Brroklodge in Wicklow is fantastic and is in a super setting

http://www.brooklodge.com/

A bit pricey maybe but worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

any suggestions where.

Farnham Estate in Cavan, lovely spot. Stayed there twice and was treated like royalty each time. Plus you could get a sneaky round of golf in!! Think it cost €179 a head for 3 nights B&B plus one evening meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well done on tonight's run but be very careful of this kind of thing. It's a real temptation to go racing these kind of runs but try to stick to plans. Conventional wisdom is to allow 1 day per mile raced recovery before racing again, so for a HM you should wait almost 2 weeks. Racing too much is a huge injury risk. You'll find that even pros will only run esay for at least a week after racing a HM so at least make sure your runs for the next week are nice and slow.

I really wouldn't bother with Mcmillan if I were you for a marathon prediction. If you read the small print in Mcmillan it says the predictions are based on runner being properly trained for a distance. For a marathon that would mean a base of years runing 1000's of miles/year and a marathon programme averaging 70 miles+ per week (elite marathoners would run in excess of 120 miles per week).

One of the 'conventional wisdom' calculators says that you will generally run 3 times your 10 mile race time, so based on that I'd say go with the 3:45 pacers. If you are feeling good after 18-20 miles you can always speed up and likely get close to 3:40.

Best of luck and take it easy for a while. The last thing you want is not to make the start line.

Cheers for the advice.

Suppose what I was getting at was that my races were run at paces well off what I was capable of, because of a fear of blowing up.

Felt both times that I left a lot out there so wanted to see what I could do.

But I take your point. Doing it so soon after the half wasn't a great idea.

Generally I follow the plan!!

will go with the 3:45 pacers on the day and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

It’s funny, it’s only this week that I’ve given much consideration to what I’ll wear on the day, I was planning to wear my sleeveless Nike Dri Fit top that I do all my LSR and races in, but I am worried I will get very cold in it. I hate getting that cold sweat where you’re cold from the weather but hot from the exercise! Don’t know what to do now, will def wear a cheap old t-shirt and a pair of cheap gloves and then dump them when I get warmed up.

Is anyone else finding the midweek sorta-LSR a pain in the ar*e? I am finding them tough going to be honest, dreading the 9 miles tonight, especially as it’s getting dark so early. That means I have to run round my village which I hate or else end up finishing in the dark in the forest where I normally run. Neither that appealing tbh. I always find them very tiring after a days work too. I genuinely prefer the LSR at the weekend than the long midweek run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Trampas

the dark evenings is starting to become a pain. Can only do shorter laps due to lack of street light as soon as i leave the village.

even dark mornings isn't helping.

on clothes i bought a singlet top which used in last couple of races and all good with it so will wear on for race. haven't decided which pair of shorts i will wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

finty wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice.

Suppose what I was getting at was that my races were run at paces well off what I was capable of, because of a fear of blowing up.

Felt both times that I left a lot out there so wanted to see what I could do.

But I take your point. Doing it so soon after the half wasn't a great idea.

Generally I follow the plan!!

will go with the 3:45 pacers on the day and see how I get on.

Yeah, going by your 10 mile time you probably should have went under 1:40 in the half, but for a 1;40 runner a 1:44/45 half would still be considered a tough workout on your legs and you would need a good few days of easy running before tackling another race.

I'd say there is even more untapped potential in there and 3;45 will be no bother to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

ncmc wrote: »
    It’s funny, it’s only this week that I’ve given much consideration to what I’ll wear on the day, I was planning to wear my sleeveless Nike Dri Fit top that I do all my LSR and races in, but I am worried I will get very cold in it. I hate getting that cold sweat where you’re cold from the weather but hot from the exercise! Don’t know what to do now, will def wear a cheap old t-shirt and a pair of cheap gloves and then dump them when I get warmed up.

Is anyone else finding the midweek sorta-LSR a pain in the ar*e? I am finding them tough going to be honest, dreading the 9 miles tonight, especially as it’s getting dark so early. That means I have to run round my village which I hate or else end up finishing in the dark in the forest where I normally run. Neither that appealing tbh. I always find them very tiring after a days work too. I genuinely prefer the LSR at the weekend than the long midweek run.

Yeah the runs becoming longer mid week are a bit of a pain. Not much longer now though, that's what I keep telling myself.

Is anyone else really tired at the moment, every run is hard , even the 4 and 5 mile ones. Have not had a good run since the 16 mile LSR. Think I may not have been eating enough so eating a bit extra now, it's a great excuse

Yeah the runs during the week are getting difficult on a number of fronts, kids back to school,its getting cold & dark a lot earlier so the running jackets are making a reapprearance plus the bloody drivers would run you over if you werent watching them.I try to stay off the foothpaths as much as I can as your dodging in & out between people & their 30 foot dog leads:eek: who wouldnt leave Moses pass through so if theres a cycle lane I run against the traffic but I couldnt count the amount of times I've had to wave my hands at drivers coming straight at me 3 feet in the lane its crazy stuff & then they look at you as if to say welL its a cycle lane & you shouldnt be in there in the first place - well hello,whatever about me they certainly shouldnt be in there - RANT OVER;);)

I run with a base layer top under a tshirt all year round , I have both long & short sleeve ones which I vary depending on the weather. I've gotten used to them now so they dont really bother me plus once I throw on a bit of vaseline I dont usually have the chafing problem either:eek:. I'll probably wear the short sleeve one under my fav running top & bring an old hoodie that I can ditch after the start - I have one of those ponchos that I bought for €2 or €3 in Croker a while back so i can always put that on as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

sassyj wrote: »
    Is anyone else really tired at the moment, every run is hard , even the 4 and 5 mile ones. Have not had a good run since the 16 mile LSR. Think I may not have been eating enough so eating a bit extra now, it's a great excuse

Yep, im feeling wrecked lately and I find even the 5 mile runs tough going, maybe due to the HM at the weekend, that's what im hoping.

Doesnt bode well for 21miles on sunday!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

So got my second 20mile out of the way today and boy was it painful...

Woke up nice and early this morning to head out, was getting ready then and realised the worst had happened...No Vaseline left, even my gf's stash was gone :( but didnt have time to hit the shop so went out anyway...

Went out of my estate in ballycullen, firhouse and went down towards the knocklyon road, this was an a good way to get the legs warmed up, at the end of the road I headed down right through terenure/churchtown village are heading towards the walkinstown roadabout, I was controlling my pace as best I could trying to keep it between 9:30-9.45min/miles, this was all fine got myself to the walkinstown roundabout for 9.5miles so was happy..then did two loops around drimnagh castle and back to the roundabout, pain was starting to set in on this area as it was mostly hilly, then headed to the most painful part by far, through the dreaded Ballymount Ind Estate, that is a serious 2.5mile route straight up to my folks house at the top of kilnamanagh, popped into my Dad and took the gel I got in my pack at the Dublin HM, my tshirt at this stage told a story of how I was getting on without the vaseline, this was at the 15.93mile mark so to get home through the Belgard road down by the mill was a good route not too hilly for that distance, fell in my front door and curled in a ball in a lovely hot shore, in the last 24hours Ive done 25miles I feel thats decent at this stage. This is where days off during the week from work come in handy! feet up for the day now! stats also revel was 4mins faster then my previous 20 mile..

First 10 @ 9:35min/mile (1:35:49)
    Second 10 @ 9:30 min/mile (1:35:08)

Instead of vaseline - micropore tape (bandage tape) with a bit of cotton wool underneath in Xs over the nips. Much better protection.

And don't worry about feeling tired these days, it's perfectly natural. You're almost at your peak week, soon you'll start to taper and your body will recover, all the fatigue will be gone and you'll be fresh and ready to go on marathon day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

the dark evenings is starting to become a pain. Can only do shorter laps due to lack of street light as soon as i leave the village.

even dark mornings isn't helping.

on clothes i bought a singlet top which used in last couple of races and all good with it so will wear on for race. haven't decided which pair of shorts i will wear.

Bought shorts in Amp King last week that have lots of pockets, Ron Hill I think. A bit pricey (€40), but worth it for holding stuff on those long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

the dark evenings is starting to become a pain. Can only do shorter laps due to lack of street light as soon as i leave the village. even dark mornings isn't helping.

Glad I'm not the only ones finding the longish mid-week difficult. I was meant to go last night. After a long day at work, I've postponed it until tomorrow morning. Early but maybe not so bright. I'll do the 18mile lsr on Sunday then.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I totally feel your pain. I had to laugh as hubby described my efforts to get downstairs as 'crab' like this morning!!:rolleyes:
    Going upstairs is fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

ncmc wrote: »

Yeah, I am wrecked after 10 miles last night. It was nearly dark by the time I got home and I ran home from work! It didn't feel very safe as it was on the main road and there was no hard shoulder. I had to hop up on the ditch when a few nutty drivers were heading straight for me even though I had hi vis on!!
    I am down for 5 tonite but think I will rest up for LSR on SAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

RayCun wrote: »
    Instead of vaseline - micropore tape (bandage tape) with a bit of cotton wool underneath in Xs over the nips. Much better protection.

And don't worry about feeling tired these days, it's perfectly natural. You're almost at your peak week, soon you'll start to taper and your body will recover, all the fatigue will be gone and you'll be fresh and ready to go on marathon day...

Hi RayCun - where's the best place in Dublin to get the tape ? I most definitely need a plan B for the nips !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

darabbit wrote: »

I totally feel your pain. I had to laugh as hubby described my efforts to get downstairs as 'crab' like this morning!!:rolleyes:
    Going upstairs is fine though.

Glad it's not just me

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I don't know what everyone already is planning on wearing but I've got a well-used technical t-shirt on which I got my name printed before Edinburgh. It was on my sister-in-law's advice, having run London a few years ago - she said people would cheer me by name and that it would give me a great boost when the going got tough. And she was dead right - the crowd were great and every time someone called my name it was like getting a handful of jelly babies!

So my top tip is, when you still have plenty of time, pick a comfortable top and get your name printed on it and keep it for the big day.

I like this advice - any ideas where to go in Dub to get your name printed on tee?

• Advertisement

Hi RayCun - where's the best place in Dublin to get the tape ? I most definitely need a plan B for the nips !!!!

Any chemist. It's first aid tape, that you'd use for holding on a dressing, only a couple of euro for a roll. You could put it straight on or (if you're soft, like me :o) put a bit of cotton wool underneath. The same idea as putting plasters over your nips, but much cheaper and less painful to take off afterwards.

Advertisement