Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

La Di Da wrote: »
    I like this advice - any ideas where to go in Dub to get your name printed on tee?
    I know the sports shop on O.Connell street used to do it, just before the bridge heading to Grafton St, can't remember exactly, think it's Elverys?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

sassyj wrote: »
    I know the sports shop on O.Connell street used to do it, just before the bridge heading to Grafton St, can't remember exactly, think it's Elverys?

www.alstees.com ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

I plan to drive (or be driven) into Dublin on the Morning of the marathon, from Cavan (just an hour usually). I'm wondering whether that's a good idea given the amount of people in the city that morning. What's the traffic like in the city that morning, and should I just plan to get dropped out on the west side of the city and get a bus in and then out (assuming there are buses that early on a bank holiday). I'd like to meet my family straight after the race, but if the logistics are too hairy, then that's ok....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hi guys I've been catching up on this thread, slightly envious of all of you fit and healthy and able to follow the plan ;) I have had one 4 mile run in the last 2 weeks after spraining my ankle. I thought it was getting better but has been fairly irritated the last few days. I was starting to get my head around not doing DCM, needless to say this was not a good place to be. Anyway, I went to physio this evening expecting him to give me bad news, but low and behold he reckons I will make it to the start line!! He reckons the ankle is irritated from day to day activity - twisting and turning it, and not from running. So the plan is to wear a lace-up ankle support when I'm out and about and to start building up the miles again, aiming for a 20 miler in 2 weeks time, before taper. Anyway I'm over the moon and praying that this works! Can't wait to get back out there, even in the colder, windier, wetter weather, bring it on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Great news Runchick...delighted for you :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I plan to drive (or be driven) into Dublin on the Morning of the marathon, from Cavan (just an hour usually). I'm wondering whether that's a good idea given the amount of people in the city that morning. What's the traffic like in the city that morning, and should I just plan to get dropped out on the west side of the city and get a bus in and then out (assuming there are buses that early on a bank holiday). I'd like to meet my family straight after the race, but if the logistics are too hairy, then that's ok....

It's a bank holiday monday so the city is pretty empty and the on street parking is free. You'll have no problem getting pretty close to the race start there are plenty of side streets with parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Runchick wrote: »
    Hi guys I've been catching up on this thread, slightly envious of all of you fit and healthy and able to follow the plan ;) I have had one 4 mile run in the last 2 weeks after spraining my ankle. I thought it was getting better but has been fairly irritated the last few days. I was starting to get my head around not doing DCM, needless to say this was not a good place to be. Anyway, I went to physio this evening expecting him to give me bad news, but low and behold he reckons I will make it to the start line!! He reckons the ankle is irritated from day to day activity - twisting and turning it, and not from running. So the plan is to wear a lace-up ankle support when I'm out and about and to start building up the miles again, aiming for a 20 miler in 2 weeks time, before taper. Anyway I'm over the moon and praying that this works! Can't wait to get back out there, even in the colder, windier, wetter weather, bring it on :D
    Delighted for u! That's great! Just b careful n not overdo it now building up again!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Public transport is also pretty non-existent on a bank holiday monday morning (before 8 am which is what you need) - car or bike are the only options. And Cavan is a pretty long cycle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

I parked in Royal College of Surgeons last year and it was fine. Wifey got the bus in later and drove me home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Glad to hear it! Tell us more about this ankle support?
    My ankle is still sore but I think mine is an overuse injury/niggle.
    I would be interested in anything that makes me feel more comfortable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Need advice for this week lsr. Haven't ran since sat, shIn sore and soleus. I cycled instead, legs feel a lot better now (not 100%). Physio says I've pronation, feet roll in, gait analysis in June led the shop to give me neutral brooks. Today I'll go to get checked in another shop and maybe get supported ones instead. Question is should I try the lsr tomorrow, or just a short run to see how the legs hold up? Was planning 20 miles. Spose I could do short run sat and if it's ok do lsr Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

LSR question

After yesterdays 10x10 mph I was out for a nice easy 6 x 12 mph last night and am now thinking about the 18m LSR at weekend.
    My current long route is from home in whitehall to Sutton cross and back about 14m, with an extra loop at end to make 16m previous max. With all the talk about hills etc I'm thinking about adding a loop up over Howth for the extra miles and mad hill. That is about 400 ft climb and looks quite steep - I might have to walk up it!. Is is mad to try to add something so tough so late in the day? This route show as 22m long but I'd bail out after 18/19 onto bus or taxi to get home

http://www.mapmywalk.com/routes/view/138596699

I like the fact that I'm now assuming i can make 18m and I'm choosing which miles to do - I may be slightly delusional!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Walkedit wrote: »
    LSR question

After yesterdays 10x10 mph I was out for a nice easy 6 x 12 mph last night and am now thinking about the 18m LSR at weekend.
    My current long route is from home in whitehall to Sutton cross and back about 14m, with an extra loop at end to make 16m previous max. With all the talk about hills etc I'm thinking about adding a loop up over Howth for the extra miles and mad hill. That is about 400 ft climb and looks quite steep - I might have to walk up it!. Is is mad to try to add something so tough so late in the day? This route show as 22m long but I'd bail out after 18/19 onto bus or taxi to get home

I like the fact that I'm now assuming i can make 18m and I'm choosing which miles to do - I may be slightly delusional!

The guy I train with suggested this as well but I think its a bad idea for an lsr unless you're super fit over 18/20 mile runs. I thought if we throw that hill into the middle of the run then theres no guarantee that we will finish the run and may spoil the distance were supposed to be covering. I think it suits a shorter 8 mile run myself unless you're happy to walk some of it.

If you were to run as far as Fairview on the way home, then turn onto Richmond road, you could turn onto the Gracepark road which is a pretty nice hill to catch. Then up Griffith Avenue which is a slight drag going towards Whitehall and then up the Swords road for another hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Walkedit wrote: »
    LSR question

You could run to Howth village straight from Suttton Cross & back instead of taking in the hill to make up your distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Thats great news, my fellow injured ankle buddy! :)

I've been having doubts about doing the full marathon. I think i've missed too much training at this stage after ankle injury. I dont feel like my fitness is there yet. I am going to physio tonight though so will discuss it then and make a final decision this weekend. cant stop thinking about it all!argh

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

I've been having doubts about doing the full marathon. I think i've missed too much training at this stage after ankle injury. I dont feel like my fitness is there yet. I am going to physio tonight though so will discuss it then and make a final decision this weekend. cant stop thinking about it all!argh

Hey guys, I feel your pain! In the exact same situation. And so envious about reading about everyones runs, especially the painful longer ones haha. Fair play to you all!!

Have a tear in my calf muscle and have managed only 3 short runs in the last 3 weeks. Rested it for nearly 2 weeks after it happenned. Then tried to ease back in last weekend. Ran short runs Friday and Saturday and it seemed fine. Then just when I was thinking I was good to go, my calf started to hurt again after a 4m run last Monday.

Am resting it again (have taken up swimming - man thats tough when you haven't swam in years!) until Monday. The hope is that it will be ok to start building up and like you Runchick the plan is to build up to a 20-miler 2 weeks out if it is. But if it breaks down again next week then I reckon I am out. Will be gutted. Training was going so well and I have never had a running injury before. Fingers crossed!! Most frustrating thing is that because its a muscle injury you can't even try and run through it or it will just get worse/tear more. You just have to be patient according to my physio :mad: but how can you be patient with 6 weeks to go to the marathon when you have missed nearly 3 full weeks training already!!

Runchick great news that you have been given the all-clear to start training again, hope it goes well with the support. And Jinx good luck in the physio tonight, hope you get the all clear too.

rasher_m wrote: »

Glad to hear it! Tell us more about this ankle support?
    My ankle is still sore but I think mine is an overuse injury/niggle.
    I would be interested in anything that makes me feel more comfortable

Hi rasher, I'm currently wearing the ankle support, it's like a plaster cast up the sides of my ankle and laces up at the front. Not much if a fashion statement but that ankle ain't budging!! I have to wear it when I'm out and about but have lots of ankle exercises to do 3 times a day as the ankle can get lazy with the support on. If you're worried about rolling your ankle and putting DCM at risk at this stage, I would advise something similar. Apparently running is fine but i have to be extra careful with potholes and curbs and ice it straight after running.

If someone had told me a few months ago I'd be doing all this for the sake of a run, I'd say they were mad. But, like most folk on here, running has become part of who I am and DCM is number one priority at the minute!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

LSR planned for sunday, massage booked for monday. dont think the next 6 weeks can pass quick enough at the miniute.

Need advice for this week lsr. Haven't ran since sat, shIn sore and soleus. I cycled instead, legs feel a lot better now (not 100%). Physio says I've pronation, feet roll in, gait analysis in June led the shop to give me neutral brooks. Today I'll go to get checked in another shop and maybe get supported ones instead. Question is should I try the lsr tomorrow, or just a short run to see how the legs hold up? Was planning 20 miles. Spose I could do short run sat and if it's ok do lsr Sunday.

Hi Stephen just a word of warning about the shoes, my physio reckons I injured my ankle solely because of running in the wrong shoes. Mine were asics 2170 which are structured and good for a flat footed runner, whereas I actually need neutral. Might not be a good idea to do a long run in the wrong type of shoe, especially carrying an injury. He doesn't even want me waking the dog in them!!

That's exactly how I felt jinx before going to physio last night, but he gave me hope, I hope you feel the same, let us know how it goes :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

tang1 wrote: »
    You could run to Howth village straight from Suttton Cross & back instead of taking in the hill to make up your distance.
    rasher_m wrote: »
    The guy I train with suggested this as well but I think its a bad idea for an lsr unless you're super fit over 18/20 mile runs. I thought if we throw that hill into the middle of the run then theres no guarantee that we will finish the run and my spoil the distance were supposed to be covering. I think it suits a shorter 8 mile run myself unless you're happy to walk some of it.

If you were to run as far as Fairview on the way home, then turn onto Richmond road, you could turn onto the Gracepark road which is a pretty nice hill to catch. Then up Griffith Avenue which is a slight drag going towards Whitehall and then up the Swords road for another hill.

Thanks guys good points - I think I'll leave the Howth ascent until another time, may springtime, and just go to village. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger BUT that might kill me!

I cycle that exact stretch Richmond/Gracepak/Griffth/Swords rd each day on way home from work. Swords rd section is always hard, even after 6 months doing it!

On the local hills I have used the Phillsburg Ave, Glandore Rd, Sion hill, Grace Park stretch. That's a sweet stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

I'd say leave it until Sunday & do a route that brings you back home after 7 or 8 miles & if its feeling ok at that stage maybe do another loop. I'll bet you if you think that your only doing a short one & you take it easy youll be jumping out of the new shoes by the time you finished it & youll grab a gel & a bottle of water & head out again for another 7 or 8 miles.I find that if I have a niggle I slow down to ease it in & give it a break but unknown to myself I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing on a LSR & i feel a lot fresher when I'm finished.

Thanks guYs. I'll do that docrock, good idea. Went to amphibian king(first time). I had the wrong shoes, got more supportive ones. And compression slieves. Great service! Hoping this will make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Trampas

weather doesn't look to bad for 19 mile lsr tomorrow.

should be nice and cold when heading out so first of km should be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Did my 19mile LSR today in Phoenix Park.. finally understand what hitting the wall means.

Before, I thought it was just getting you get a bit tired.. when I hit the 18m mark I was doing comfortable 8:45m/miles and I thought happy days, I might keep going to 21 /22 miles, then BAM! , I was lightheaded, stumbling, swaying from side to side like an auld drunk.. had to stop immediately and pretty much sit down for 20minutes .i think if that happened in Marathon I would have stepped off the course.

Feel grand once I got a Feed into me

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/225293849

Any of the experienced guys got any particular advice on how to deal with / avoid hitting the wall??

Thought I had fueled sufficently:
    Pasta night before
    Porridge that morning
    750mls of water with High5 additive 1 hr before
    500mls of powerade between 12 and 15k point
    High5 gel x 2, @12k and 22k points

• Registered Users Posts: 2 charlie21

Im thinking of signing up for the dublin marathon at the last minute. iv become unemployed and newly single so was looking for something to focus my mind and get a bit of confidence back in my life. im a reasonably fit person who goes running 4 times a wk. usally doing 6km runs sumtimes 8km. never ran in anything over 10km in my life yet alone a marathon. am i wasting my time in thinking i can do this? can anyone advise me on a training plan that i can do over the nxt month? HELP PLEASE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Probably too close at this stage coming from that base. Why not aim for the Waterford Half Marathon at the start of December, then maybe work up to a spring / early summer full marathon (Cork or Limerick?)? There's plenty of challenge in a half to get you going - it'd more than double your current max mileage.

charlie21 wrote: »
    Im thinking of signing up for the dublin marathon at the last minute. iv become unemployed and newly single so was looking for something to focus my mind and get a bit of confidence back in my life. im a reasonably fit person who goes running 4 times a wk. usally doing 6km runs sumtimes 8km. never ran in anything over 10km in my life yet alone a marathon. am i wasting my time in thinking i can do this? can anyone advise me on a training plan that i can do over the nxt month? HELP PLEASE!!!!
    Hey Charlie it's not impossible but you are looking at 5 hours and a big struggle after the half way point! 6 weeks is not enough, I learned that the hard way and ended up in bed for two days after my first marathon and I was in a similar position to you. It's no joke and I learned to respect it a lot more! But I don't regret it so ... Sensible vs spontaneous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Somewhere along this journey I've become a distance runner. Yesterday, I did the 9 miles in a quick pace. Now, for me, this is not a short run, but it's no longer a long run. I'll have a relaxing swim today and think I'm in good shape for 18 miles lsr tomorrow. Here's hoping.

Advertisement