Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Guys I'm freaking out this week. I've had a slightly dodgy tummy since Wednesday, cramps, churning, runs and have only managed one 5 mile run this week. I'm supposed to be doing 19 miles tomorrow and I am dreading the thought of it. Running can give me a dodgy tum at the best if times but with the way I am now, I've visions of hopping into the hedge every five mins! I was thinking of doing a 5 mile very easy today and see how I get on, I'd hate to miss a LSR at this stage.

I thought if rested for a couple of days I'd be fine, but it's still niggling at me. The funny think is, if someone else came on here with the same complaint, I'd probably advise them to skip the LSR this week, but it's so difficult at this stage of the game when we only have a couple of these really long runs left!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

ncmc wrote: »
    Guys I'm freaking out this week. I've had a slightly dodgy tummy since Wednesday, cramps, churning, runs and have only managed one 5 mile run this week. I'm supposed to be doing 19 miles tomorrow and I am dreading the thought of it. Running can give me a dodgy tum at the best if times but with the way I am now, I've visions of hopping into the hedge every five mins! I was thinking of doing a 5 mile very easy today and see how I get on, I'd hate to miss a LSR at this stage.

I thought if rested for a couple of days I'd be fine, but it's still niggling at me. The funny think is, if someone else came on here with the same complaint, I'd probably advise them to skip the LSR this week, but it's so difficult at this stage of the game when we only have a couple of these really long runs left!

I had that dodgy tum at the start of the week and was a small bit worried going out for my LSR but I was fine, if you go run locally so you're not too far from home.

Day after LSR came down with a smothering cold and will miss the 9 miler today. No way will I attempt to run feeling like this.

I suppose what I'm saying is you're the best judge of how you're feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

Another casualty here! After a good 5 m recovery on mon I went for a 10 m on Wed but felt a sharp pain in my calf area in last 1 k. Managed to get an appointment with Physio y'day and I have an Achilles' tendon strain, no running until next Sat(5m) to see how it feels. My question is that I am supposed to do 19m today, 14m next Sat followed by my final 20m week later,but now I am out for 2 running Sat's, what is the best LR's strategy for me? I will still have my shorter runs but I am worried about not having enough lsr's; I did 18 m 2 weeks ago. Tnx in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

SnailsPace wrote: »
    Did my 19mile LSR today in Phoenix Park.. finally understand what hitting the wall means.

Before, I thought it was just getting you get a bit tired.. when I hit the 18m mark I was doing comfortable 8:45m/miles and I thought happy days, I might keep going to 21 /22 miles, then BAM! , I was lightheaded, stumbling, swaying from side to side like an auld drunk.. had to stop immediately and pretty much sit down for 20minutes .i think if that happened in Marathon I would have stepped off the course.

What are you targetting at DCM? Sounds like you are burning 100% Glycogen at that pace and you just ran out of it at mile 18....the solution is to run slower and get your body used to burning a mixture of glycogen and fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

21 miles in the bag!!!!!! I'm thrilled with how well this went - my best run for weeks and weeks. I fell out the door (literally) at 5.20. It was cold and dark. Way darker than I expected and I was not prepared for either the cold or the dark. I have a crap phone. It was probably a new model about 20 years ago. It doesn' t do smiley faces but it does have a flashlight and this saved my ass this morning. Could have done with a pair of gloves but other than that have no complaints. Even when I got tired I could say to myself 'Ya I'm tired but not as tired as I was at the start of my 8mile run on Wednesday. I took Ribena flavoured water with me. It was yum :D:D

• Advertisement

21 miles in the bag!!!!!! I'm thrilled with how well this went - my best run for weeks and weeks. I fell out the door (literally) at 5.20. It was cold and dark. Way darker than I expected and I was not prepared for either the cold or the dark. I have a crap phone. It was probably a new model about 20 years ago. It doesn' t do smiley faces but it does have a flashlight and this saved my ass this morning. Could have done with a pair of gloves but other than that have no complaints. Even when I got tired I could say to myself 'Ya I'm tired but not as tired as I was at the start of my 8mile run on Wednesday. I took Ribena flavoured water with me. It was yum :D:D

Home from 21 miles at 10am impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Jealous.com, great running. Real confidence boost i'd say.

Well done career move, that's some running and serious dedication to be out so early on a Saturday. I'm mega jealous! I'm looking at the click now thinking I'd have my 19 miles nearly done if I was feeling 100%. Think I need a good dose of HTFU and just fill myself with Immodium and get out there and do it tomorrow.

What time were you averaging on that run?

Sorry that should read "looking at the clock" stupid auto correct... See, having an up to date phone isn't all it's cracked up to be!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

Don't know if I'm more impressed at the mileage of the start time :-)
    Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

alanking wrote: »
    Don't know if I'm more impressed at the mileage of the start time :-)
    Well done.

*or

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

lrak wrote: »
    Another casualty here! After a good 5 m recovery on mon I went for a 10 m on Wed but felt a sharp pain in my calf area in last 1 k. Managed to get an appointment with Physio y'day and I have an Achilles' tendon strain, no running until next Sat(5m) to see how it feels. My question is that I am supposed to do 19m today, 14m next Sat followed by my final 20m week later,but now I am out for 2 running Sat's, what is the best LR's strategy for me? I will still have my shorter runs but I am worried about not having enough lsr's; I did 18 m 2 weeks ago. Tnx in advance

Hi Irak we are in the same boat. I had trained up to 18 miles 2 weeks ago but have had to miss LSRs due to injury and will only do one more long LSR (20 miles in 2 weeks). It's not ideal but it'll get me to the start line. I am building up slowly to that so not following the plan, but a new plan the physio is suggesting. I will be undertrained and am already drastically less ambitious about a decent finishing time, but I refuse to waste all the training and hard work and have my heart set on DCM.
    So I suppose you could follow a similar strategy, carefully build up to one more very long run and hope for the best on the big day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Wow! Well done career_move, you are more than ready for DCM!!

Well done career move, that's some running and serious dedication to be out so early on a Saturday. I'm mega jealous! I'm looking at the click now thinking I'd have my 19 miles nearly done if I was feeling 100%. Think I need a good dose of HTFU and just fill myself with Immodium and get out there and do it tomorrow.

What time were you averaging on that run?
    10.54 minute miles. The first couple of miles felt a bit faster cause I was scaring myself with stupid thoughts :D Sorry to hear about your tummy bug. I suppose you're the best person to know how you feel but at the same time you don't want to do the run and end up being set back even more. Best of luck whatever you choose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

3 mile run this afternoon, first run in over 5 weeks. My DCM 2012 dream has long past but like to thank those who gave words of encouragement when i was injured, it was very much appreciated. Foot felt good but won't be rushing back into things. 2 or 3 short slow runs next week to start. Some impressive training being done by people, keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Set out for my 18miles this morning.
    Ended up doing 20miles. Can't believe it. Like Career_Move, it was my best run in ages. Probably since I started training for the 'thon!

I planned my route during the week, but forgot to double check it before this morning, and couldn't remember it properly once I was out and about. So my 18th mile left me about 1.5 miles shy of home. Figured I'd rather run home than walk it, and I looped a bit to add on half a mile at the end.

At 16 miles, I felt like I could easily run another 10. That kinda changed once I hit 19miles, and I was more than glad to finish at 20.. but it bodes well for the big day I guess. Few more weeks of training, the adrenaline of the day etc..

I took High 5 gels at 6, 11, and 15 miles. Finished in 3hr 21mins. 2nd half definitely faster than the first, but I found it hard to slow myself down. I'll need to work on that for the 29th I think.

We had friends over for dinner last night, and the wine was flowing.. I however managed to stick to 1 non-alcoholic beer, and a small glass of port after eating. At one point I considered having a few drinks and doing the run on Sunday morning instead. I'm SO glad I didn't... Now I can relax and let my limbs recover for a few days..

tang1 wrote: »
    3 mile run this afternoon, first run in over 5 weeks. My DCM 2012 dream has long past but like to thank those who gave words of encouragement when i was injured, it was very much appreciated. Foot felt good but won't be rushing back into things. 2 or 3 short slow runs next week to start. Some impressive training being done by people, keep it up.
    Good stuff. Delighted to see you making a comeback. Make sure you take it nice and easy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

charlie21 wrote: »
    Im thinking of signing up for the dublin marathon at the last minute. iv become unemployed and newly single so was looking for something to focus my mind and get a bit of confidence back in my life. im a reasonably fit person who goes running 4 times a wk. usally doing 6km runs sumtimes 8km. never ran in anything over 10km in my life yet alone a marathon. am i wasting my time in thinking i can do this? can anyone advise me on a training plan that i can do over the nxt month? HELP PLEASE!!!!
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Probably too close at this stage coming from that base. Why not aim for the Waterford Half Marathon at the start of December, then maybe work up to a spring / early summer full marathon (Cork or Limerick?)? There's plenty of challenge in a half to get you going - it'd more than double your current max mileage.
    Hey Charlie it's not impossible but you are looking at 5 hours and a big struggle after the half way point! 6 weeks is not enough, I learned that the hard way and ended up in bed for two days after my first marathon and I was in a similar position to you. It's no joke and I learned to respect it a lot more! But I don't regret it so ... Sensible vs spontaneous?

Hi Charlie just adding my tuppence

Dilbert is defo talking sense from what I've seen, if you want to run it's way late for starting any training now for the "Thon", we are all heading for teh taper.

And as for time I started latish (in July) been training consistently since and am still looking at 5 & 1/2 hours realistically, did HM in 2.5 hrs and just today 18m in 3.5 hrs, will take me at least another 1.5 for last 8 miles. If you run i'd say expect the impact Stephen says and longer then 5 hours. But you are probably fitter/lighter then I was so ...

That said I was laid off last year end Aug and without much training walked it (6:55) as I just didn't think I could run it without getting injured. I walked it in 2010 also. It is an amazing feeling to finish - no matter what the time is, specially if you collect a few bob for a charity along the way, and ye need a boost when your out of work - I did anyway.

So maybe consider a cocktail, start training for HM as per Dilbert treating it as a long term thing - which it is, and walk DCM as your first time around the course which is an achievement now that you can trump by running next year.

Best of Luck whatever you decide

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Lots of positive stories about runs this weekend - makes me hopeful for my 19 miler tomorrow...:)

Bought new pair of runners during the week as fast running out of time to break one's in for DCM. Recommended neutral pair of Brooks (usually wear Asics) that seemed to fit well. Shop said could try them out indoors so headed to gym for first time in 6 months today to go on treadmill - disaster!!:( noticed slight burning on balls of my feet within the first k and it got steadily worse, so much that at 4k I actually stopped and went back to changing room to put on my old one's as was worried about hurting feet for tomorrow.... Guess it'll be back to the Asics for me so.... :(

That sounds like my stomach every race day:D.......Find the Immodium instants take care of it (one's that dissolve on your tongue so no need for water). Take one in first thing and another just before head out and you def won't have any need of a hedge!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

tang1 wrote: »
    You could run to Howth village straight from Suttton Cross & back instead of taking in the hill to make up your distance.

Tang sad about your injury I'm sure it will come good in the end.
    But your suggestion above was inspired and made my 18m LSR today.

I set out this morning around 10 - late start as I was out doing Culture night and ended up with tickets for the rather intimate Hot House Flowers session at Windmill Lane Studio that ended at Midnight - so raw it was amazing.

Anyway started slow and headed for my now regular long loop and planning to take in Howth village which I did going out the main road. Having gotten to the harbour and turned back (half way point) I realized that there is a little path that runs down to the beach as an alternative for the return leg. I followed that along past the Hole In the Wall beach right back to Baldoyle. I love the beach so that was heavenly even though it was miles 9-12.

I was loving it so much that having put in a call to see if a "come get me" pickup was on - I decided rather then head home as usual I'd stay running the coast road thru Portmarnock and on to Malahide! It's a really nice place to run - especially for sea lovers like me.

I have to say I have sympathy for IrishKev who was using this route a while ago, the road is narrow and the drivers don't give much space. I had to step in once or twice - I'm glad it wasn't dark! Also in Portmarnock I learned that there is a St Marnock - am I the only one that's news to?

Anyway passing Portmarnock and I was getting tired. Then I remembered that my previous max dist was 16m and miles 14-16 were hard so going over the 16m was likely to be tough - so I reset my expectation to being tired and that made it easier. Legs were still doing the business - just slower.

Looking at the sea I started to long for a swim in it. So I decided to find a place and tweak the run so I end up there (in 3:28 11:27 mpm). The spot was the Low Rock Swimmers place (which seems to be the local 40Ft without the depth, mostly golden oldies who know the secret of the sea) so I just ran to edge of Malahide and back to there - I love my new running app 18.01m approx.

Of course I had nothing with me BUT "needs must" so I whipped off (discretely) the gear including the compression shorts and just popped back on running shorts and in I went. Freezing but awesome entirely - a ready made ice bath. I'm no stranger to Irish winter waters so kinda knew what to expect. My plan was that the re-enforcements with towel etc would arrive as I emerged from the sea but wasn't to be so I had to borrow a used towel from one of my new chums and re-assemble myself as best I could 'sans' shorts. The swim really helped me to feel better. I was shivering a bit when chariot did arrive and honestly until hot shower at home that didn't stop, a combo I think of tiredness/cold.

But that's been replaced with satisfaction, I'm sitting here now with a big grin on my mug, a great run (I nailed the miles with just tired!), took the spontaneous option, new places that were cool to run & swim, completely forgetting about the everyday for nearly 6 hours. I love it when - a no plan comes together.

So just 2 miles left to tack on before 29th - I'm glad to have two weeks before I will be tackling that, might just go back and try a few hills meanwhile.

Stay well everyone - nearly there!

I just found this link to my new swimming hole:
    http://www.northcountyleader.ie/index.php/component/content/article/1478-recognition-sought-for-malahide-swimming-area.html
    and a pic
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/44281769@N06/5095966663/

• Advertisement

That sounds deadly Walkedit :D Way to go with the running....and the spontaneity :D

(Although would have made a much better story if you'd gone the full monty and your back up team didn't arrive and one of the locals had run off with your clothes......)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

19m done. Despite the highs of a great 18m the week before last and a strong half last Saturday, I wasn't feeling particularly confident for today's out-and-back.

First half went well though - took my first jelly baby and sip of water at 8k and prob every 2k after that. Legs were starting to hurt a bit just before the turn but nothing too bad.

For some reason I hit a huge slump in form at the turn (Mrs Dilbert experienced the exact same thing on her LSR this morning) - just felt the wind went out of my sails, even though it meant the wind was behind me on the return leg. Pace didn't drop though.

At about 20k I took one of the half-time bars we got in our race series goody bags and thought it was nice enough - not too heavy but sweet and moist. Passing the shop at 22k I figured I'd enough water so kept going without refueling. Made it home in 3.04 with 750ml water, the half time bar and about 10 jelly babies.

I deliberately chose not to take the gel I'd brought, just to see what would happen. I found out 300m from home when I started feeling dizzy and weak. If this is what The Wall is like then I'm definitely planning on avoiding it like the plague. Got home no problem but fairly wrecked when I got in - much tea and food was required.

Did some stretching and rolling and am heading up now to do more, followed by an epsom salts bath. Legs are quite sore now - hope the rolling, bath and cycle tomorrow do the trick or I'll be back to the Physio next week.

So overall not great but my longest training run ever and my second longest LSR of this campaign and I didn't take any walk breaks, so some good points in it too. Also kept my pace very steady throughout, which pleased me greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Not a good day at the office...

I set the alarm fit 7am(not as brave as career_move). Ate a quick bowl of cereal and drove to 6 mile mark where I dropped 2 bottles of water as I was doing an out and back run.. Dropped backed the car and stretched and applied vaseline. So far so good. I actually felt great and psyched for the 19 miles ahead. I started at a nice slow pace and got to the halfway mark thinking this is great, weather is fab and I am nearly set for DCM.
    Then out of nowhere just after mile 14 I started to feel a Burlington sensation on the out side of my left knee. I stretched a bit and carried on but by mile 16 I was forced to walk as the pain was so bad. When I was walking the pain would disappear. I walked/hobbled back the last 3 miles.
    I iced it as soon as I got in the door but it is very sore when I get up and I can't walk down the stairs.
    I am devastated as I feel that I have got this far without injury that it would be cruel to fall at the final hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Sorry to hearthat. Sounds like it's time for a physio visit Darabbit - it may well be less serious than you might fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

delighted to have completed the 18 miler today after being ill this week.haven't done much running the last 3 weeks due to injury. Dublin half went ok last weekend. Was my first run after injury so took it nice and easy. So today i jumped from 13 miles to 18 miles but found it fine and pace was good. Looks like I'm back on track to run DCM. Yeah!!

darabbit wrote: »

I set the alarm fit 7am(not as brave as career_move). Ate a quick bowl of cereal and drove to 6 mile mark where I dropped 2 bottles of water as I was doing an out and back run.. Dropped backed the car and stretched and applied vaseline. So far so good. I actually felt great and psyched for the 19 miles ahead. I started at a nice slow pace and got to the halfway mark thinking this is great, weather is fab and I am nearly set for DCM.
    Then out of nowhere just after mile 14 I started to feel a Burlington sensation on the out side of my left knee. I stretched a bit and carried on but by mile 16 I was forced to walk as the pain was so bad. When I was walking the pain would disappear. I walked/hobbled back the last 3 miles.
    I iced it as soon as I got in the door but it is very sore when I get up and I can't walk down the stairs.
    I am devastated as I feel that I have got this far without injury that it would be cruel to fall at the final hurdle.

Try not to worry too much, get to a physio asap to see what's up, you've the bulk of the training done at this stage so chances are you'll be ok. Keep icing!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

darabbit wrote: »

ITB?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Did my 20 miler (i lied it was 32.6k;)) LSR this evening in 3.19 - I was a bit disappointed with the time as the way that I looked at it was that I would have been out there for another hour or more to do the last 10k which puts me in the 4.15 - 4.30 bracket. I keep telling myself that I'm in my 40's, a bit overweight (was more) & couldnt run 2k a year ago & to cop on as finishing the thing is the goal & forget about times. So from now on what will be will be, I'm (hopefully) running at my own pace,I'm not following any pacers, if I need to go for a P or 2 in the Phoenix Park I'll go for 3 & the aim is to pass that finishing line & let out one hell of a roar as its been a long journey to get there:D RANT OVER.

Anyway, I intentionally slowed myself down & was very comfortable for the first 11k loop in 1.01 which brought me back to the house, after a quick dart in the door, drank a pint of water, picked up 2 bottles of water & my goodie belt & off again. Theres a bitch of a hill at the 20k mark (got here in just over 2 hrs), not long but nasty which takes a bit out of the legs but I was still comfortable enough up until about 25k.I ate a bag of jellies around 22k & had a gel at around 25k which I thought I was going to throw up,oh man was it hard to take even though it was washed down with a bottle of water.Anyway that stayed where it was supposed to but at this stage I was feeling it & by the time I got home I was dead from the waist down,hips, knees, calves the lot were in trouble - strangely my breathing was fine though. Would I have done another 10k???The answer is yes but it would have been a slog from there on in but I suppose with the day & the crowds etc its going to push you along anyway.
    After a few stretches & a shower I walked sideways down the stairs for something to eat & a lie down,I'm still a bit sore now but then again I've never ran 20 miles before & I've never run for 3 hrs & 19 mins either so i suppose I'd have to be in a bit of pain.Thanks be to God theres only one more of those before the big day though, I dont think I could hack a few more days like that.

BTW, I forgot to mention I also had about 20 HTFU moments in the last 5k - it worked anyway:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

well successful physio appt yesterday, advice is would be madness to rule out the marathon altogether at this stage! ankle is on the mend, just fitness now stands between now and finishing line. i managed 15 mile lsr today and im delighted to still be at that stage after all the missed training. now for wine, bed and arrested development on nextflix to celebrate!:D

Advertisement