Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

docrock wrote: »
    Did my 20 miler (i lied it was 32.6k;)) LSR this evening in 3.19 - I was a bit disappointed with the time as the way that I looked at it was that I would have been out there for another hour or more to do the last 10k which puts me in the 4.15 - 4.30 bracket. I keep telling myself that I'm in my 40's, a bit overweight (was more) & couldnt run 2k a year ago & to cop on as finishing the thing is the goal & forget about times. So from now on what will be will be, I'm (hopefully) running at my own pace,I'm not following any pacers, if I need to go for a P or 2 in the Phoenix Park I'll go for 3 & the aim is to pass that finishing line & let out one hell of a roar as its been a long journey to get there:D RANT OVER.

Anyway, I intentionally slowed myself down & was very comfortable for the first 11k loop in 1.01 which brought me back to the house, after a quick dart in the door, drank a pint of water, picked up 2 bottles of water & my goodie belt & off again. Theres a bitch of a hill at the 20k mark (got here in just over 2 hrs), not long but nasty which takes a bit out of the legs but I was still comfortable enough up until about 25k.I ate a bag of jellies around 22k & had a gel at around 25k which I thought I was going to throw up,oh man was it hard to take even though it was washed down with a bottle of water.Anyway that stayed where it was supposed to but at this stage I was feeling it & by the time I got home I was dead from the waist down,hips, knees, calves the lot were in trouble - strangely my breathing was fine though. Would I have done another 10k???The answer is yes but it would have been a slog from there on in but I suppose with the day & the crowds etc its going to push you along anyway.
    After a few stretches & a shower I walked sideways down the stairs for something to eat & a lie down,I'm still a bit sore now but then again I've never ran 20 miles before & I've never run for 3 hrs & 19 mins either so i suppose I'd have to be in a bit of pain.Thanks be to God theres only one more of those before the big day though, I dont think I could hack a few more days like that.

BTW, I forgot to mention I also had about 20 HTFU moments in the last 5k - it worked anyway:D:D
    Well done on ur run, I did 22 yest in 3.55 n delighted , don't worry about ur time ur LSR is meant to b done about 45/ 60 sec / mile slower than what ur marathon pace will b, so that was terrific run, I was running about 10min mile pace but wit couple toilet stops n water stops average was 10.30/min/mile. Thank god the big long runs nearly over! Whoohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Skidrow wrote: »
    ITB?

Maybe not too - when my itb was at me year before last it only hurt when running, not when walking. Physio will know.

On a related subject, Argos had a sale price on the foam roller I have - E16 down from E26. Jessica Ennis branded. Every runner should have a foam roller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

darabbit wrote: »
    Not a good day at the office...

I set the alarm fit 7am(not as brave as career_move). Ate a quick bowl of cereal and drove to 6 mile mark where I dropped 2 bottles of water as I was doing an out and back run.. Dropped backed the car and stretched and applied vaseline. So far so good. I actually felt great and psyched for the 19 miles ahead. I started at a nice slow pace and got to the halfway mark thinking this is great, weather is fab and I am nearly set for DCM.
    Then out of nowhere just after mile 14 I started to feel a Burlington sensation on the out side of my left knee. I stretched a bit and carried on but by mile 16 I was forced to walk as the pain was so bad. When I was walking the pain would disappear. I walked/hobbled back the last 3 miles.
    I iced it as soon as I got in the door but it is very sore when I get up and I can't walk down the stairs.
    I am devastated as I feel that I have got this far without injury that it would be cruel to fall at the final hurdle.

I'd well recommend Mark Kenneally (physio and Irish Marthoner)in Celbridge.
    I had a similar experience last year, mine turned out to be ITB, yours could be similar or something different, but put off going to a physio for a few weeks (fear of being told 'no running'), anyway, went to him and his magic hands cured my ITB. With foam rolling and glute stretching, it hasn't returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭Trampas

out on my 19mile lsr yesterday.

All went to plan. Maybe a bit slower than I would like 6.18/10.08 but got through it on. Plan is 5.40/9.09 so inside what I should be doing. Just like a few seconds off it.

water, half a dozen jelly babies and half of the bar we got in the race packets.

Had a gel and a few glucose sweets but didn't need them. Was out in the cold for the 1st half or so which probably helped.

Will take a few seconds off the pace on next weekend 12 miler but nothing major. Down to around 6.05 or 10 min pace and plan to have another go on chapelizord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Leg felt ok yesterday, so I code used to try the lsr today. New shoes and compression sleeves on, only got up the road and I knew the shin was still too tender. Walked a bit, then jogged again and it felt ok but not great, so decided to turn off and was home after 4 miles. Ice and more rest. Might do my 19 miles next weekend instead of taper. I'll get back out on the bike tmw. Well done to all on the long runs, great reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

niteowl1 wrote: »
    delighted to have completed the 18 miler today after being ill this week.haven't done much running the last 3 weeks due to injury. Dublin half went ok last weekend. Was my first run after injury so took it nice and easy. So today i jumped from 13 miles to 18 miles but found it fine and pace was good. Looks like I'm back on track to run DCM. Yeah!!

Delighted for you niteowl :) Isn't it a great feeling to get back on track, making it to that start line is gonna feel amazing :D

well successful physio appt yesterday, advice is would be madness to rule out the marathon altogether at this stage! ankle is on the mend, just fitness now stands between now and finishing line. i managed 15 mile lsr today and im delighted to still be at that stage after all the missed training. now for wine, bed and arrested development on nextflix to celebrate!:D

Brilliant news jinx!! I bet you love your physio as much as I do now :D The wine was very well earned ;)

Leg felt ok yesterday, so I code used to try the lsr today. New shoes and compression sleeves on, only got up the road and I knew the shin was still too tender. Walked a bit, then jogged again and it felt ok but not great, so decided to turn off and was home after 4 miles. Ice and more rest. Might do my 19 miles next weekend instead of taper. I'll get back out on the bike tmw. Well done to all on the long runs, great reports.

Good idea to back off Stephen, still time for a few LSRs once your shins are better. Are you going to see a physio? Good luck with your recovery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Runchick wrote: »

Good idea to back off Stephen, still time for a few LSRs once your shins are better. Are you going to see a physio? Good luck with your recovery :)
    Yea went last week. Got few exercises (hips mainly). I'm hoping the new supportive shoes and sleeves will help me avoid reoccurrence. Defo felt the difference today Driving me mad cos I feel I could have done the 19 mile but Id prob be sore all week as a result! Still 5 weeks just might need to adjust my 4 hour marathon dream ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Did my lsr yesterday and second time to hit the 20 miler but it was a lot different this time around. I done the first one along the coast which is flat as a pancake and decided after running the half last week that the lsrs were a bit soft. So I ran a totally different route along the back of Finglas, through the park, up Chapelizod, Ballyfermot and back to the park, through Cabra and up Drumcondra with last few miles in the Albert College. I found the last few miles of the run very difficult. My hips and knees locked up and it was hard to run the last mile.
    I caught the Chapelizod hill as part of the run and didn't think it was as bad as it has been made out to be, the hills in the park are tougher.
    Anyway the stats were 20.16 miles in 3.27 hrs.
    I thought afterwards that I wouldn't be able to run much faster in the real event especially for the last 6 miles and I'm wondering how were supposed to pace a minute faster for that?
    I'm assuming the taper will give us renewed energy?

I also have a question about fueling...I had a gel at about 10 miles yesterday and a half a banana at about 15.
    How many gels will people take on the day and at what intervals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

rasher_m wrote: »
    I'm wondering how were supposed to pace a minute faster for that?

You're not! Your half marathon time will give an indication of what time/pace to target, running your LSR at x pace will not translate to x - 1 minute on the day. For my first marathon I ran all of my LSR's at 10 min miles, on the day they averaged out at 9:36.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Not a good day at the office...

I set the alarm fit 7am(not as brave as career_move). Ate a quick bowl of cereal and drove to 6 mile mark where I dropped 2 bottles of water as I was doing an out and back run.. Dropped backed the car and stretched and applied vaseline. So far so good. I actually felt great and psyched for the 19 miles ahead. I started at a nice slow pace and got to the halfway mark thinking this is great, weather is fab and I am nearly set for DCM.
    Then out of nowhere just after mile 14 I started to feel a Burlington sensation on the out side of my left knee. I stretched a bit and carried on but by mile 16 I was forced to walk as the pain was so bad. When I was walking the pain would disappear. I walked/hobbled back the last 3 miles.
    I iced it as soon as I got in the door but it is very sore when I get up and I can't walk down the stairs.
    I am devastated as I feel that I have got this far without injury that it would be cruel to fall at the final hurdle.

This is 99.9% an itb injury. So worry not. My advice is to get to a Physio ASAP as if you leave it go it will continue to tighten up. Physio will rub it out and isolate the problem area.... Be prepared to grit your teeth!! Argos have foam rollers for €25, all longdistance runners shoud have one. Regular rolling, stretching correctly and 2 or 3 Physio sessions will sort you out. Make sure to ask your Physio for itb stretches

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

So, still had a bit of a dodgy tummy this morning, but decided that a good dose of htfu was required, so after enough Immodium to block up a small horse, I headed out on my lsr at about 10:30 (career move would have run, showered and had her dinner at that stage!) I went a slightly different route today, normally just run through Fermoy and up the Cork road for the required distance and then turn and come back. It's not a particularly nice route, boring and a lot of traffic, but there's a hard shoulder so it's pretty safe, I'm lacking nice, safe routes around me. Anyway, I went a slightly different way through Fermoy, Castlelyons, Rathcormac and back to Fermoy. I have to say it was a tough route, very hilly.

Overall I find the run tough going, I suppose not surprising with my ropey tum and the extra hills. I really struggled miles 12-17. I had to take a good few walk breaks. At one stage my left hip started to seize up and my left foot felt like a claw! Had to stop and stretch a couple of times. I worked through that but my legs were like lead by the end.

Got my 19 miles done, so delighted all things considered. A couple of things though, I took a gel at 7 and 13 but was absolutely starving, do people recommend power bars or what? Second, I have got the most brutal blister on my foot, started happening a couple of weeks ago, ironically when I started wearing the 1000 mile, no blisters guaranteed socks! Don't think it's my trainers, they only have 270 miles on them and I tried my new trainers today with a bandage over the area and it still hurts like hell. Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

Did my lsr yesterday and second time to hit the 20 miler but it was a lot different this time around. I done the first one along the coast which is flat as a pancake and decided after running the half last week that the lsrs were a bit soft. So I ran a totally different route along the back of Finglas, through the park, up Chapelizod, Ballyfermot and back to the park, through Cabra and up Drumcondra with last few miles in the Albert College. I found the last few miles of the run very difficult. My hips and knees locked up and it was hard to run the last mile.
    I caught the Chapelizod hill as part of the run and didn't think it was as bad as it has been made out to be, the hills in the park are tougher.
    Anyway the stats were 20.16 miles in 3.27 hrs.
    I thought afterwards that I wouldn't be able to run much faster in the real event especially for the last 6 miles and I'm wondering how were supposed to pace a minute faster for that?
    I'm assuming the taper will give us renewed energy?

I also have a question about fueling...I had a gel at about 10 miles yesterday and a half a banana at about 15.

Your long runs are on tired legs, so the taper will give you an additional energiser. Maybe your long runs are too fast?.
    Regarding the gels, my plan is to take 4 at 5 mile intervals, with some sports beans or chews in between. Will time the gels with water stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

alanking wrote: »
    I had a similar experience last year, mine turned out to be ITB, yours could be similar or something different, but put off going to a physio for a few weeks (fear of being told 'no running'), anyway, went to him and his magic hands cured my ITB. With foam rolling and glute stretching, it hasn't returned.

Thanks but I live in Galway! I have a good physio ..not loooking forward to the torture!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

alanking wrote: »

Thanks but I live in Galway! I have a good physio ..not loooking forward to the torture!!

Elbow up and down the outside of your thigh.... At least when you are suffering after 23 miles you can think back on all that pain and use it to crash through your wall!

Gavlor wrote: »
    This is 99.9% an itb injury. So worry not. My advice is to get to a Physio ASAP as if you leave it go it will continue to tighten up. Physio will rub it out and isolate the problem area.... Be prepared to grit your teeth!! Argos have foam rollers for €25, all longdistance runners shoud have one. Regular rolling, stretching correctly and 2 or 3 Physio sessions will sort you out. Make sure to ask your Physio for itb stretches

Thanks Gavlor. I usually use use the foam roller on rest days and before my long run. Howevcer this week I was visiting my folks and didn't bring it with me. I have suffered from ITB in the past and that is when I bought the foam roller then. I find it brilliant and I am kicking myseld for not bring it with me this weekend. I am paying the price now though!!
    I have been icing and resting since my LSR yes and hope to get appointment with my physio tomorrow. Fingers crossed it is nothing serious.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Elbow up and down the outside of your thigh.... At least when you are suffering after 23 miles you can think back on all that pain and use it to crash through your wall!

That's good sports pschology:) I think I have left nails stuck on physios table after a session working on ITB!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

So 21 miles done this morning and boy was it tough! Muscles were aching from 16m on but I powered on.

Cold bath eased some of the pain after but stiff out now!

Anyway LSR now Thursday and then its taper!!!:D Dont thing I could handle many more long ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

I really have to admire you guys and your cold baths. :pac:

It's more impressive than doing the marathon imo :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

18 miles done and dusted....followed by a bath, hot one though.

My friend joined me for a couple of miles at the start of the run which put me in a good mood. My husband and girls met me along the way to give me another bottle of water and lots of encouragement. Blisters seem to be under control. I used 2 gels at 6 and 12 miles (lucozade sport). It was rainy and windy for the second half but strangely I felt good. I went slowly but could have kept going if I'd taken another gel. I do wonder if I can go faster in the real thing!

Can someone please remind why the LSRs are done slower than what your marathon pace might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Mrs Noc wrote: »
    18 miles done and dusted....followed by a bath, hot one though. My friend joined me

Wasn't sure where this was going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Mrs Noc wrote: »
    Can someone please remind why the LSRs are done slower than what your marathon pace might be?

To let your body adapt to burning fat as well as glycogen. Which hopefully results in you not hitting the wall come marathon day.

jprender wrote: »
    Opps. See what you mean:)

Thanks Blockic for the explanation. I knew I'd to do the LSRs slower just couldn't remember why. That makes sense.

jprender wrote: »

I was the same. I was like :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Met FiiFii this morning for 19m & even though I'd been dreading it (after missing my 18m LSR due to illness), it went far better than I expected. We started at 10am to practise the pre-marathon morning routine, started in the park & ran a good section of the south side of the route, as far as Milltown Road, then headed back home through Ranelagh, along the canal & through the park. FiiFii commented that we were still going relatively strong at 17.5m, and 3 weeks ago we were dying on the 15th mile of our 17m LSR, so great to think that we're actually making progress! :)

We were going up the Khyber Road hill on the 19th mile & we didn't die, so that's encouraging to think that we were still able to go uphill (should be around UCD at that stage on the race day).

Having company certainly makes a difference, so we've a date booked for the 20m together in 2 weeks. :D

For my LSRs I'm only taking 1 gel, just to get used to the taste & digestion, & practice fat-burning. :p But I'm planning take probably one per hour on the big day (so after every 5m I guess). I don't want to be completely depleted before I start taking them. I'll bring a cereal bar or two too (I'm liking the Nature Valley chewy trail mix chocolate ones, they're "flexible" enough to squash into the loops on my gel belt), and some jellies.

baths with more than one and dates been set up.

all this running is changing people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

ncmc wrote: »
    Got my 19 miles done, so delighted all things considered. A couple of things though, I took a gel at 7 and 13 but was absolutely starving, do people recommend power bars or what? Second, I have got the most brutal blister on my foot, started happening a couple of weeks ago, ironically when I started wearing the 1000 mile, no blisters guaranteed socks! Don't think it's my trainers, they only have 270 miles on them and I tried my new trainers today with a bandage over the area and it still hurts like hell. Any advice?
    Fair play getting 19 miles done! Bet you felt great after :D I took 2 gels on my run as well and I was grand. I'm not convinced that they do much for me but they don't seem to do any harm anyway. I got the most enormous blister on my big toe. It didn't hurt on the run but when I was getting out of the shower it burst and hurt like hell. I had to go into town and get compeed blister plasters tonight cause nothing else was working. Instant blister relief :) I had hilly socks on and had smeared my toes with vaseline. Hilly socks are useless IMO. I was getting on better with my cheapo socks from lidl :confused:

I had to go into town and get compeed blister plasters tonight cause nothing else was working. Instant blister relief :) I had hilly socks on and had smeared my toes with vaseline. Hilly socks are useless IMO. I was getting on better with my cheapo socks from lidl

Compeed blister plasters are excellent when you already have blisters and are trying to sort them out. YoungAnne put a really good note on here a little while back about blisters so worth doing a search for that.

There's also a Compeed preventor stick which I think works well. Someone told me to use powder to help prevent blisters but not sure if it makes any difference.

Note: Here's the link to YA's advice (end of the page): http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80334436

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Iangolf

31km done this morning at a much quicker pace than I had planned. Ended up finishing in 2h 57 mins. Felt great all the way around so kept going. My confidence is really up after the run. Cant believe that I have completed runs of 26km, 20km, 21km and 31 km over the last 3 weeks. Really believe that I can get around the marathon and hopefully in 3 hours fifty something.

Advertisement