Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

jprender wrote: »
    Wasn't sure where this was going.

Beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Maybe not too - when my itb was at me year before last it only hurt when running, not when walking. Physio will know.

On a related subject, Argos had a sale price on the foam roller I have - E16 down from E26. Jessica Ennis branded. Every runner should have a foam roller.

Thanks Dilbert75;),
    went down today,the Jessica Ennis one was out of stock but got a pro fitness one for €12.99, great value. I hadnt used one before , ooohhhh it really gets into the muscles,Ididnt over do it but it was fairly severe, especially after the lsr yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

docrock wrote: »
    Thanks Dilbert75;),
    went down today,the Jessica Ennis one was out of stock but got a pro fitness one for €12.99, great value. I hadnt used one before , ooohhhh it really gets into the muscles,Ididnt over do it but it was fairly severe, especially after the lsr yesterday.

Have the same one myself. The fact it felt severe means your ITB is clearly tight. Do it daily for a week and you should feel a big difference.

I was in the same spot couple months back, when i foam roll ITB now, no pain at all, ITB is nice and loose.

Let us know how you get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

charlie21 wrote: »
    Im thinking of signing up for the dublin marathon at the last minute. iv become unemployed and newly single so was looking for something to focus my mind and get a bit of confidence back in my life. im a reasonably fit person who goes running 4 times a wk. usally doing 6km runs sumtimes 8km. never ran in anything over 10km in my life yet alone a marathon. am i wasting my time in thinking i can do this? can anyone advise me on a training plan that i can do over the nxt month? HELP PLEASE!!!!

Charlie,
    I'd say it depends on a lot of things,your age,weight etc but 5 weeks seems a short space of time to do something like a marathon - 10k no problem but a marathon would be pushing it plus you'd seriously run the risk of injury & theres enough people on here that will advise you on that score. You also have the added aspect of being used to race days & what happens - you will only get that from doing a few 10k's & half's first & working on from there. For example theres people on here who have been training for months (1 yr in my own case),were now doing 20 mile slow runs & we cant walk down the stairs or bend down to pick up a €50 note on the ground:D for hours after & we have a serious amount of miles in or legs.
    Its not impossible but youd probably be looking at 5 hrs plus, a lot of walking & a lot of pain - it would be worth it though:D:D The best of luck with whatever you decide & you wont be short of advice from the people on here with whatever route you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

21 miles in the bag!!!!!! I'm thrilled with how well this went - my best run for weeks and weeks. I fell out the door (literally) at 5.20. It was cold and dark. Way darker than I expected and I was not prepared for either the cold or the dark. I have a crap phone. It was probably a new model about 20 years ago. It doesn' t do smiley faces but it does have a flashlight and this saved my ass this morning. Could have done with a pair of gloves but other than that have no complaints. Even when I got tired I could say to myself 'Ya I'm tired but not as tired as I was at the start of my 8mile run on Wednesday. I took Ribena flavoured water with me. It was yum :D:D

I do love to get out for early morning runs, but 5.20 on a cold Saturday morning is very impressive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

:( Ankle / shin still too sore to run on. Looks like I will be sitting out for another few days at least. Am doing some cycling to get a bit of a workout along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Ran my 29.3k LSR yesterday morning. I normally run my LSR on a sat but decided to give myself an extra day as my legs were tired from the midweek runs.

I drank 4 litres of water the day before (with some sugar and salt) and went to a 21st on sat night. Drank 4 pints of water and totally scoffed out on food [carbs and proteins of course] at the 21st.

I left at 7am and brought 2 bottles of water with a High5 "Zero" electrolyte tablet in both and a gel. Sipped away at the water all throughout the run. Ran from Ayrfield to Ballymun, Gritffith Ave, Druncondra, Ballybough, Fairview, Clontarf, Coast Road, Sutton Cross, Baldoyle, Malahide Rd and Home. Took the gel at Sutton Cross with 8km to go. Did it in 2hrs 50 mins and totally chuffed with the run.

It was a lovely morning for running, nice and cool and overcast with a sidewind on the coast.

I had big doubts before the run but really confident about the 20 miler and marathon now.

http://runkeeper.com/user/novemberfox/activity/120009999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

worst hangover ever on Sunday. Really made the not drinking on Saturday night seem like a bad idea. And after drinking loads of water anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 morann

Got through my 18 miles yesterday, but with a lot of discomfort. I think its my hip flexor, started paining by mile 4 and I was limping on it by mile 17. Really worried now that this could affect my marathon. It always gave me a bit of grief but went away after being warmed up well. I took yesterday nice and slow too.

I am thinking, rest it for the entire week, ice and some nurofen. See how I feel Sunday for a shortish run. 20 Miles next week, so I may even skip this Sunday if I need to.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

I followed this thread and HH Novice 1 religiously last year for my first marathon, and have been following this year as well. I've never mentioned it before on here, but I only really got more into this running lark after a bout of illness a couple of years ago, which was probably my motivation for running the marathhon in the first place. I had always kept fit on and off through my twenties, and had started a bit of running, but it was only when going through chemo and radiation treatment that time, that I really appreciated running and realised how much I missed it when I wasn't able to exercise properly.

I just want to say to all of you doing your first marathon how enjoyable to me last years marathon was, and how special I thought the whole experience was, from the training and the sometimes bad runs (which funnily and surprisingly were the most memorable from last year, and not in a negative way!!), to the crowds and atmosphere on the day and to emphasize the point that's already been made about enjoying your first one, and not getting caught up on times, etc. I know it's a bit cheesey but getting out, keeping healthy and being able to run, especially for the distances you are all doing now is the real challenge and achievement.

Training had been going well for me this year, other than a slight calf problem, and was up to 14 miles comfortably. Pace times were much quicker than last year, even though I had taken a longer than intended winter break. The difference, especially recovery after long runs was quiet noticeable showing me how beneficial building a long term base is. Unfortunately, I've had a dose that I can't shake recently and I have to pull out at this stage which is total bummer and can't believe, but I have to put into perspective and be positive, and will get sorted and use my additional training towards a later marathon goal.

So kind of jealously, just want to wish everybody well, to savor and enjoy the experience which really is something special, and to appreciate how well you've all done to get this far in your training.

Best of luck and keep up the good work guys! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

morann wrote: »
    Got through my 18 miles yesterday, but with a lot of discomfort. I think its my hip flexor, started paining by mile 4 and I was limping on it by mile 17. Really worried now that this could affect my marathon. It always gave me a bit of grief but went away after being warmed up well. I took yesterday nice and slow too.

I am thinking, rest it for the entire week, ice and some nurofen. See how I feel Sunday for a shortish run. 20 Miles next week, so I may even skip this Sunday if I need to.

Thanks

If you have a Grid roller try rolling it out, if it's too painful see a physio.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    If you have a Grid roller try rolling it out, if it's too painful see a physio.

Thanks, I have made an appointment with the physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I had really bad week last week, had to miss 1 of the midweek runs completely, due to combination of factors. Was away at weekend and only managed to fit in run of 7 miles yesterday.
    Had planned to get up this morning and make up for it but feel crap this morning, feel like i have a bug. :(

Hopefully will only be 24/48 hour kind of thing and can get back training properly by tomorrow or Wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Mr abbey wrote: »
    I followed this thread and HH Novice 1 religiously last year for my first marathon, and have been following this year as well. I've never mentioned it before on here, but I only really got more into this running lark after a bout of illness a couple of years ago, which was probably my motivation for running the marathhon in the first place. I had always kept fit on and off through my twenties, and had started a bit of running, but it was only when going through chemo and radiation treatment that time, that I really appreciated running and realised how much I missed it when I wasn't able to exercise properly.

I just want to say to all of you doing your first marathon how enjoyable to me last years marathon was, and how special I thought the whole experience was, from the training and the sometimes bad runs (which funnily and surprisingly were the most memorable from last year, and not in a negative way!!), to the crowds and atmosphere on the day and to emphasize the point that's already been made about enjoying your first one, and not getting caught up on times, etc. I know it's a bit cheesey but getting out, keeping healthy and being able to run, especially for the distances you are all doing now is the real challenge and achievement.

Training had been going well for me this year, other than a slight calf problem, and was up to 14 miles comfortably. Pace times were much quicker than last year, even though I had taken a longer than intended winter break. The difference, especially recovery after long runs was quiet noticeable showing me how beneficial building a long term base is. Unfortunately, I've had a dose that I can't shake recently and I have to pull out at this stage which is total bummer and can't believe, but I have to put into perspective and be positive, and will get sorted and use my additional training towards a later marathon goal.

So kind of jealously, just want to wish everybody well, to savor and enjoy the experience which really is something special, and to appreciate how well you've all done to get this far in your training.

Thanks for the encouragement Mr Abbey. Sorry to hear that you won't make Dublin. After putting in the training I'm sure its a kick in the teeth to have to miss it but at least you will have a great base for a Spring marathon. Maybe you could do one abroad and treat yourself to a holiday as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

npresto wrote: »
    Ran my 29.3k LSR yesterday morning. I normally run my LSR on a sat but decided to give myself an extra day as my legs were tired from the midweek runs.

Did it in 2hrs 50 mins and totally chuffed with the run.

It was a lovely morning for running, nice and cool and overcast with a sidewind on the coast.

I had big doubts before the run but really confident about the 20 miler and marathon now.

http://runkeeper.com/uer/novemberfox/activity/120009999

Hey Noel,

That's was a wicked run Well Done - you've every reason to be confident.

A Runkeeper question, I just started using this recently - the free version, I can see that you've logged yourself for DCM on race page and have splits, I can't do either - is that because your using the paid version or I'm technically challenged? If it's pad version then I'm on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

finished my 19 miler on Saturday, I did the Marathon route from Terenure into town soI got to run Clonskeagh hill twice, it's not a bad hill at all and should be manageable. In fact as I was running up it I kept on wondering if the hill was around the next corner. Don't get me wrong I knew I was running up hill but I was wondering if the hill was big enough to make me want to walk up it. I ran it first after 12 KM so I expected it would easier but the second time was at 27 KM and while it was much harder I still managed to run up it.

One of the things I love about running is the feeling of being in a private club. The little nods to fellow runners make it feel that you are in special club. Also saw Ray Darcy running on Saturday morning, wonder if he is running in the marathon.

I was really feeling it at the end of the run and the usual doubts about not being able to do the full marathon at the pace I would like resurfaced. I was very positive after the half but it does seem daunting now and with only one long run left to go it feels like the fitness levels will not improve enough before the big day.

Another point has been my diet which has been terrible over the last few months. I am 5 kilos over what I would have liked to be so I really need to crack down and try and lose the weight between now and the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Mr abbey wrote: »

Tough break, it's great that you have such a cool perspective on it. It's really encouraging. I'm sure everyone who gets to the start line will be carrying thoughts of all their boards comrades who had to wait until the next one.

Thanks for the encouragement Mr Abbey. Sorry to hear that you won't make Dublin. After putting in the training I'm sure its a kick in the teeth to have to miss it but at least you will have a great base for a Spring marathon. Maybe you could do one abroad and treat yourself to a holiday as well :)

Yeah, like your thinking thanks, I've always fancied Barcelona at that time of year! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

docrock wrote: »
    Thanks Dilbert75;),
    I think I need to get a foam roller, I was looking at the Jessica Ennis one too, but they seem to be sold out all over so will try the pro fitness one instead. My hip was very sore yesterday while running and still sore today, my knees too so I am worried that it could be ITB band. So will get rolling over the next few days and hopefully will be fighting fit for the 20 miles the weekend after next.

I’m feeling a bit deflated to be honest after yesterday’s LSR. I know I shouldn’t be hard on myself as I had a stomach bug, but I just found the run really tough and the combination of sore hip, blisters and general fatigue, it was probably my worst run to date.

I’m going to try and put it behind me and concentrate on eating right, getting plenty of fluids, plenty of sleep and lots of rolling this week and hopefully it was just a once off. I’m trying to tell myself that my body will remember the tough runs and that it will all stand to me on marathon day, but to be honest, today I just feel like I want the marathon over and done with. I’m finding it physically and mentally exhausting at the moment. Just having a bad day I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Some great LSR reports there, fair play. Did my 19 mile LSR on Thursday night as was away for the weekend (wedding)

First really bad run to be honest. Was feeling invincible after the half marathon but brought down to earth fairly lively!

Well the run itself was ok, even did a few miles before warm down at MP, very tired after it naturally but was in bits about 30 mins later. Feeling extremely nauseous, curled up in bed in the fetal position, couldn't stomach ingesting anything! Felt like being really sick from drink except sober. Lasted an hour.

This LSR was my test run for energy gels (high 5 iso). Took 2 (miles 6 and 11). Sipped water throughout.

I'm not convinced the gels were the cause but the thought of a citrus gel now isn't a nice feeling. Late in the program to be experimenting with other gels so a bit concerned.

I did have a hectic week of it (half on the sat, and had done 15 miles in between then and the LSR), I also took an isotonic drink + mars bar about 20 mins after finishing (It was about 90 mins since I took the last gel at that stage) - could either of these be the culprits?

So be warned, make sure you are well hydrated and fuelled for your LSR's, its so close to the end of the program so keep doing the right things and don't get lax like me!

On the plus side I was grand the next day, no niggles, had cold bath before the sickness kicked in and its a great job. took a break from running but will go for an easy run today at lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

miguelk wrote: »
    Some great LSR reports there, fair play. Did my 19 mile LSR on Thursday night as was away for the weekend (wedding)

First really bad run to be honest. Was feeling invincible after the half marathon but brought down to earth fairly lively!

Well the run itself was ok, even did a few miles before warm down at MP, very tired after it naturally but was in bits about 30 mins later. Feeling extremely nauseous, curled up in bed in the fetal position, couldn't stomach ingesting anything! Felt like being really sick from drink except sober. Lasted an hour.

This LSR was my test run for energy gels (high 5 iso). Took 2 (miles 6 and 11). Sipped water throughout.

I'm not convinced the gels were the cause but the thought of a citrus gel now isn't a nice feeling. Late in the program to be experimenting with other gels so a bit concerned.

I did have a hectic week of it (half on the sat, and had done 15 miles in between then and the LSR), I also took an isotonic drink + mars bar about 20 mins after finishing (It was about 90 mins since I took the last gel at that stage) - could either of these be the culprits?

So be warned, make sure you are well hydrated and fuelled for your LSR's, its so close to the end of the program so keep doing the right things and don't get lax like me!

On the plus side I was grand the next day, no niggles, had cold bath before the sickness kicked in and its a great job. took a break from running but will go for an easy run today at lunch.

I wasn't feeling too hot after mine either, I'm putting it down to fatique of racing last week plus 3 midweek runs and then extra long lsr.
    When you think about it, we have basically had no recovery time from our race last week, straight back into training.
    As for the gel, have you tried the Kinetica ones? They're really easy to take and you hardly need water for them. I gave one to my friend on our last lsr and he said it tasted nice and he never takes them. The Tropical flavour is what I take. Theyre in Elverys and the usual running shops.

rasher_m wrote: »
    As for the gel, have you tried the Kinetica ones? They're really easy to take and you hardly need water for them. I gave one to my friend on our last lsr and he said it tasted nice and he never takes them. The Tropical flavour is what I take. Theyre in Elverys and the usual running shops.

Great, I'll call in and pick a few up to test, can't do any harm! Thanks Rasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

rasher_m wrote: »
    Did my lsr yesterday and second time to hit the 20 miler but it was a lot different this time around. I done the first one along the coast which is flat as a pancake and decided after running the half last week that the lsrs were a bit soft. So I ran a totally different route along the back of Finglas, through the park, up Chapelizod, Ballyfermot and back to the park, through Cabra and up Drumcondra with last few miles in the Albert College. I found the last few miles of the run very difficult. My hips and knees locked up and it was hard to run the last mile.
    I caught the Chapelizod hill as part of the run and didn't think it was as bad as it has been made out to be, the hills in the park are tougher.
    Anyway the stats were 20.16 miles in 3.27 hrs.
    I thought afterwards that I wouldn't be able to run much faster in the real event especially for the last 6 miles and I'm wondering how were supposed to pace a minute faster for that?
    I'm assuming the taper will give us renewed energy?

I also have a question about fueling...I had a gel at about 10 miles yesterday and a half a banana at about 15.
    How many gels will people take on the day and at what intervals?

Fair play, those extra hills will do you good especially on tired legs. I wouldn't worry about your pace. It seems like you had it spot on. Your Half time would suggest a 4:15 which would be 9:44 mins/mile pace. Just over half a minute to make up then if you were to go for that pace.

Took two gels myself for 19 miler on Saturday, one at mile 8 and second one at mile 13. Thinking that I will probably take 4 during the marathon but might carry a spare just in case I drop one or need a bit extra to get me over the line. Might try and time them to have one before the hardest parts of the course if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Walkedit wrote: »
    Hey Noel,

That's was a wicked run Well Done - you've every reason to be confident.

A Runkeeper question, I just started using this recently - the free version, I can see that you've logged yourself for DCM on race page and have splits, I can't do either - is that because your using the paid version or I'm technically challenged? If it's pad version then I'm on it!

Hi Walkedit,

I'm just using the "free" version of Runkeeper on an Android phone.[Samsung Galaxy S2]

On my last phone [HTC Desire] I could never see the splits on the phone browser but could see them on the browser on my laptop. [Google Chrome]

With the Samsung Galaxy S2 I can now see the splits in both the phone and laptop browser.

As far as I know, the iPhone shows splits in the actual Runkeeper App itself but not in the Android version yet.

I don't think there is an actual "paid" version of the Runkeeper app. You just pay for the "Runkeeper Elite" service which gives you more functions once you have coughed up the dough.

morann wrote: »

Thanks

Well you're on the right track with rest + ice anyway, can't give you any more advice but them 2 alone are great for healing.

For peace of mind you would be as well off seeing a physio, I remember someone else had the same issue earlier in the year and got well looked after with strengthening exercises/treatment and got sorted and was glad they did.

At this stage in the program I wouldn't be taking risks. Plus better to get it seen to before you taper or else you may lose the plot altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Set out Friday for a 19 mile lsr, was dreading it as my 18 mile lsr 2 weeks previous was a disaster that ended after 15.5 miles! Started the run near the top of Roebuck Road and went down the marathon route as far as Crumlin and back so was doing the Miltown / Clonskeagh hills around same stage I would hit them on the day. Was delighted with the way the run went although I was on my last legs for the last 4 miles! Didn't take any gels, just some wine gums and water.

I done the half in just over 2 hrs, on Friday i decided I was going to set out very slow and do some fast miles in the middle so ended up doing the following:

4 miles @ 11.13 m/m
    5 miles @ 9.52 m/m
    1 mile @ 11.45 m/m
    5 miles @ 9.53 m/m
    4 miles @ 11.32 m/m

Going by my half time and other long runs I was planning on going with 4 30 pacers. The faster miles all felt good on friday although I was wrecked doing the last 4 and took a few walking breaks. I'm now thinking that I may be able to go with 4 15 pacers, do people think this is wise or should I just stick with 4 30 pacers and push on if feeling good during the race?

I am no expert but I would say stick with your original plan. Follow the 4:30 pacers. If you feel good in the second half maybe you can catch the 4:15.

I took this approach with the half last week. I let the 1:50 pacers go and caught them when the flat and downhill hill section came. I felt good and was able to finish nearly two minutes ahead of them.

I hope this helps

Weetabix wrote: »
    Set out Friday for a 19 mile lsr, was dreading it as my 18 mile lsr 2 weeks previous was a disaster that ended after 15.5 miles! Started the run near the top of Roebuck Road and went down the marathon route as far as Crumlin and back so was doing the Miltown / Clonskeagh hills around same stage I would hit them on the day. Was delighted with the way the run went although I was on my last legs for the last 4 miles! Didn't take any gels, just some wine gums and water.

I done the half in just over 2 hrs, on Friday i decided I was going to set out very slow and do some fast miles in the middle so ended up doing the following:

4 miles @ 11.13 m/m
    5 miles @ 9.52 m/m
    1 mile @ 11.45 m/m
    5 miles @ 9.53 m/m
    4 miles @ 11.32 m/m

Going by my half time and other long runs I was planning on going with 4 30 pacers. The faster miles all felt good on friday although I was wrecked doing the last 4 and took a few walking breaks. I'm now thinking that I may be able to go with 4 15 pacers, do people think this is wise or should I just stick with 4 30 pacers and push on if feeling good during the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Monday is LR day for me, and what an absolutely awful day it is weather wise :(

I got absolutely soaked to the skin. I chose a route close to where I live which is 8.5kms, and decided to do 4 loops, safe in the knowledge that if I wanted to call it quits, I'd never be more than about 4km from home :pac:

Started out steady, and the kms started to whistle by at an average pace of 5:40 per km. Quite happy with this as the route I was running is quite undulating, and I'm sure that it wont be so bad in the marathon itself.

Passing my house so many times is almost torture though, it is so tempting to get in out of the rain and cold. All the way round I kept telling myself that I could either give up today, and then die somewhere around Clonskeagh in the marathon, or I could just get my head down and finish the damn thing.

With 16kms to go, I picked up the pace, and by the end I was finishing very strongly. 34kms done, and I now know that I can get around the full course and maybe even enjoy it. I have the feeling though that I am going to fall right in the middle of the 3:45 and 3:30 pacers. I'm going to be cautious though, and run at 3:45 pace.

Total time 3:04:16, although I did not stop once, and my garmin only shows a moving time of 3:02:27 ? I don't get it, but either way, I'm very happy with those times for 34km.

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/226418565

10mile race for me on Sunday, which I'm sure will bring me back down to Earth with a bang. I reckon my legs are going to be dead on the start line :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

WEEK 14
    Hi Guys,
    Sorry i wasn't on much last week, but you guys seem to be able to answer each others questions and give advise to each other no bother. Afterall it is your thread so keep it up.

Congrats on all the excellent LSRs, a lot of you are noticing that some of them re going better than previous runs and a few of you are having tough runs. Don't worry it is all part of the training. Its testing your resolve and mental strength which is getting stronger each week.

Only 5 weeks to go...:D, Anyone who is not trying out gels, i really recommend you try a few as you will get great benefit from them on the day. No point in putting your body through a tough run when there is something there designed to help you on the route and make it a little easier on the day.

anyway this weeks plan is :

Mon | Tue | Wed | Thur | Fri | Sat | Sun | Total
    Rest| 5m/8km | 9m/15km | 5m/8km| Rest | 14m/23km|Cross|33m/54km

Right the mileage is getting nearer to your peak, next week is the highest of the plan and then its taper. You should all be very proud of yourselves. That great progress from week 1 to now.

If any of you want to do Wed midweek run with a few miles a little bit faster go ahead(@MP) or do a few strides at the end.
    But don't do anything too fast as it is a stepback week, so its getting you ready for next weeks big miles.

Any questions, just ask!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

Younganne wrote: »
    WEEK 14
    Hi Guys,
    Sorry i wasn't on much last week, but you guys seem to be able to answer each others questions and give advise to each other no bother. Afterall it is your thread so keep it up.

Congrats on all the excellent LSRs, a lot of you are noticing that some of them re going better than previous runs and a few of you are having tough runs. Don't worry it is all part of the training. Its testing your resolve and mental strength which is getting stronger each week.

Only 5 weeks to go...:D, Anyone who is not trying out gels, i really recommend you try a few as you will get great benefit from them on the day. No point in putting your body through a tough run when there is something there designed to help you on the route and make it a little easier on the day.

Any questions, just ask!!:D

Agreed on the Gels.
    I've done a marathon last year and only this week have found a gel that I like. I've a bag load of different gels that I've been trying at the longer milage, theres little point trying a gel after a 5 miles as it'll not feel like it will after a 16miles - its a totally different beast with thirst, heavy breathing and general tiredness all mixed into it.
    Gels are all down to personal taste with different consistencies and flavours.
    Best to get this nailed down now rather than be worrying about it on the day.

Advertisement