Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

I have a good and bad run this weekend. Good in the sense that my perceived effort and average HR are dropping week on week at this stage and I am feeling more comfortable. Bad in the sense that I couldnt finish the run and had to walk/limp after 16 miles. I'll be going to the physio tomorrow evening to get checked out. Knee and hip pain, and pain connecting both :eek:

Hopefully it's be easily sorted out.

Anne, or anyone.... I am thinking that if I get this sorted I could do a longer run this weekend to make up for the fact I didn't finish at the weekend. My head is going mental telling me I havent enough long runs done and I need to get my 18 miler done. What to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

ncmc wrote: »

I’m feeling a bit deflated to be honest after yesterday’s LSR. I know I shouldn’t be hard on myself as I had a stomach bug, but I just found the run really tough and the combination of sore hip, blisters and general fatigue, it was probably my worst run to date.
    You're being way too hard on yourself missy :p You did fantastically well to get the 19miles done when you were feeling crap. When you get to 20 miles in the DCM you'll remember Sunday and you'll be able to say to yourself 'No matter how bad I feel now, I was worse that Sunday .... and I still got through it' and then you'll sprint (not really but poetic licence and all that) through the last 6 miles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Hi Younganne,
    as youve asked about questions I have one in relation to gels & imodium;).

I have tried loads of gels but I still havent found one that agrees with my dodgy stomach - I nearly threw one up on the LSR on Saturday. I did contemplate not using them at all during the race but just reading peoples advice it seems I'd be crazy not to. Someone else said that they took Imodium before the lsr, is that something that runners do?? I've only ever taken one gel on a lsr as I had to literally do a runner a while ago:eek: so I'd be afraid to take anymore than one but if the Imodium sorts out the problem its surely worth a go?? I'd obviously have to try it out on the next lsr but is it common to take both?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

You're being way too hard on yourself missy :p You did fantastically well to get the 19miles done when you were feeling crap. When you get to 20 miles in the DCM you'll remember Sunday and you'll be able to say to yourself 'No matter how bad I feel now, I was worse that Sunday .... and I still got through it' and then you'll sprint (not really but poetic licence and all that) through the last 6 miles :D
    Aw thanks career move! That post cheered me up a lot :D I know you're right, my husband always says I'm my own worst critic. I'm going to put last week behind me and start this week with renewed vigour! I have been incredibly lucky up to now with regards to staying injury free and not really struggling through the LSR's, so I was bound to hit a bad week eventually.

Bought some Epsom salts today, so looking forward to a long soak later, hopefully that will help the sore muscles. No joy getting a foam roller so far, Argos sold out of both types and I'm afraid to go to the sports shop near me as their prices are eye watering!

Wish I could come up with a solution to the blisters, that's worrying me for futures long runs. Think I am dumping the 'No blister guaranteed' socks for a start :mad:. Like you career move, I was getting less blisters with my cheapie socks!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Aw thanks career move! That post cheered me up a lot :D I know you're right, my husband always says I'm my own worst critic. I'm going to put last week behind me and start this week with renewed vigour! I have been incredibly lucky up to now with regards to staying injury free and not really struggling through the LSR's, so I was bound to hit a bad week eventually.

Bought some Epsom salts today, so looking forward to a long soak later, hopefully that will help the sore muscles. No joy getting a foam roller so far, Argos sold out of both types and I'm afraid to go to the sports shop near me as their prices are eye watering!

Wish I could come up with a solution to the blisters, that's worrying me for futures long runs. Think I am dumping the 'No blister guaranteed' socks for a start :mad:. Like you career move, I was getting less blisters with my cheapie socks!

Elverys have some in stock online, they deliver. 14.99. I have one and it does the job grand!
    http://www.elverys.ie/Product/Body-Sculpture-Foam-Roller-12/212908/0000000184

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Elverys have some in stock online, they deliver. 14.99. I have one and it does the job grand!
    http://www.elverys.ie/Product/Body-Sculpture-Foam-Roller-12/212908/0000000184

The Edge on Kinsale Road Roundabout have them as well they have a store in the city also if you happen to be in town.

blockic wrote: »
    The Edge on Kinsale Road Roundabout have them as well they have a store in the city also if you happen to be in town.

That's the sports shop I was referring to in my post above ;). Their cheapest one is €29. I'm a bit cash poor at the moment, so was hoping to get a cheaper one in Argos. Will check out that one in Elvery's Jinx, that's more the price I was hoping to pay :o

That's the sports shop I was referring to in my post above ;). Their cheapest one is €29. I'm a bit cash poor at the moment, so was hoping to get a cheaper one in Argos. Will check out that one in Elvery's Jinx, that's more the price I was hoping to pay :o

Cool, didnt know how much they were in there!! just spotted them the other day.

Cool, didnt know how much they were in there!! just spotted them the other day.
    It's a great sports shop and the staff are lovely, but I do find them expensive for accessories. They are pretty competitive for trainers though and they do gait analysis, so I did get my trainers there.

Thanks to Docrock, got one of the Pro Fitness foam rollers reserved in Argos in Blackpool. Looking forward (in a sadistic kind of way) to getting started!

Do they come with instructions or can someone recommend a website that shows how to use them?

It's a great sports shop and the staff are lovely, but I do find them expensive for accessories. They are pretty competitive for trainers though and they do gait analysis, so I did get my trainers there.

Thanks to Docrock, got one of the Pro Fitness foam rollers reserved in Argos in Blackpool. Looking forward (in a sadistic kind of way) to getting started!

Do they come with instructions or can someone recommend a website that shows how to use them?

They have instructions for all sorts with it. Main thing is if you don't feel pain, you're not doing it properly!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

They have instructions for all sorts with it. Main thing is if you don't feel pain, you're not doing it properly!! :D

I don't know that sounds a little 50 Shades'ish!:D

Check out this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=80904189

Walkedit wrote: »

I don't know that sounds a little 50 Shades'ish!:D

wouldnt know anything about that now! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Was in Base 2 Race this morning stocking up on gels, recovery milkshakes & skin lubricant for the next month. I thought running was going to be a cheap sport, but this endurance fuelling really adds up!

After last weekend's pretty decent 19m with FiiFii, I'm quite excited for the 20m in 2 weeks. Never imagined I'd be saying that!!!

I can hardly believe we're this close. Hope all the injuries are manageable over the next week. I'm starting to get excited about The Big Day. Hope this enthusiasm (& staying injury / illness-free) lasts!

wouldnt know anything about that now! :-D
    Ya right Blocky.....you told me your friends call you Christian :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

docrock wrote: »
    Hi Younganne,
    as youve asked about questions I have one in relation to gels & imodium;).

I have tried loads of gels but I still havent found one that agrees with my dodgy stomach - I nearly threw one up on the LSR on Saturday. I did contemplate not using them at all during the race but just reading peoples advice it seems I'd be crazy not to. Someone else said that they took Imodium before the lsr, is that something that runners do?? I've only ever taken one gel on a lsr as I had to literally do a runner a while ago:eek: so I'd be afraid to take anymore than one but if the Imodium sorts out the problem its surely worth a go?? I'd obviously have to try it out on the next lsr but is it common to take both?

Docrock I find gels hard to take too so I only take 1/2 an isogel and I wash it down with plenty of water. Does the trick for me. I also take plenty of those jelly beans.

Trampas wrote: »

My brain hurts after reading that! God my diet is atrocious when I look at that thread, I swear it'll be a miracle if I finish this marathon at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Trampas wrote: »

My brain hurts after reading that! God my diet is atrocious when I look at that thread, I swear it'll be a miracle if I finish this marathon at all!

+1 on that! I was fuelled well enough for my 19m LSR on a proper dinner (Thai noodles) the night before & a good breakfast, so I'll just try to continue that for my 20m LSR & race day. Before the race I guess I'll add a bottle of sports drink the day / morning before, & a little extra protein & pasta or rice or whatever is on the menu. I've only taken max one gel per LSR so hopefully the extra ones will prevent me hitting the wall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Fair play, those extra hills will do you good especially on tired legs. I wouldn't worry about your pace. It seems like you had it spot on. Your Half time would suggest a 4:15 which would be 9:44 mins/mile pace. Just over half a minute to make up then if you were to go for that pace.

Took two gels myself for 19 miler on Saturday, one at mile 8 and second one at mile 13. Thinking that I will probably take 4 during the marathon but might carry a spare just in case I drop one or need a bit extra to get me over the line. Might try and time them to have one before the hardest parts of the course if possible.

Cheers for that Dazza, yeah when you put it like that it does sound like a good run. It just didnt feel like a good one :D
    I'm trying to start thinking about gels and nutrition as well. I've only been taking one gel per run for all the training which is supposed to be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Back from holidays and managed to get very leisurely runs in but need to get back into it seriously this week! Was lovely running on a warm morning and having a swim after so not feeling as motivated by rain today.also had beer and ice cream most days so diet needs an overhaul too! Booked holiday way before marathon decision and in hindsight probably wasn't the best time to holiday. Feel like I was a bit too nice to myself and feeling a bit panicked as only a few weeks left. Anyone else feeling a bit scared!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

dechol wrote: »
    Back from holidays and managed to get very leisurely runs in but need to get back into it seriously this week! Was lovely running on a warm morning and having a swim after so not feeling as motivated by rain today.also had beer and ice cream most days so diet needs an overhaul too! Booked holiday way before marathon decision and in hindsight probably wasn't the best time to holiday. Feel like I was a bit too nice to myself and feeling a bit panicked as only a few weeks left. Anyone else feeling a bit scared!!

Yeap, I hear ya! Only one stepback week and one long run left and then taper...makes it sound even more frightening than saying 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Found some good advice for the big day here:

"The Best Marathon Advice You’ll Ever Get" - http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/29/the-best-marathon-advice-youll-ever-get/

• Registered Users Posts: 39 morann

Went to Physio yesterday and I have a hip flexor strain. He is going to work with me to try and make the marathon but I have to take a week off completely. Maybe two. It's very frustrating and even if it does clear up in that time, I will have to build up the miles and forget about taper, hopefully rest the final week. Risky stuff. Starting to regret racing the half now. :-(

niteowl1 wrote: »
    Docrock I find gels hard to take too so I only take 1/2 an isogel and I wash it down with plenty of water. Does the trick for me. I also take plenty of those jelly beans.

Thanks niteowl1,
    I'm going to try that on the run this weekend,its only a short one though 21k););) did I just say that 21k is a short run:eek::eek::D . I tried those jelly beans a few weeks ago on the lsr & found them great.Ive used them a few times since without a problem & theyre a definite in the goody belt on race day.I wont be craving for a gel anytime soon when this is over though:D:D

npresto wrote: »
    Found some good advice for the big day here:

"The Best Marathon Advice You’ll Ever Get" - http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/29/the-best-marathon-advice-youll-ever-get/

Great article - I have to have music though, my ipod is like part of me at this stage. The plan is to turn it on & off as needed but theres no way that I could run 26 miles without it as it definately takes your mind off the hard miles at times.I dont plan having it on for the first or last two though (hopefully the last two anyway:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

rasher_m wrote: »
    Yeap, I hear ya! Only one stepback week and one long run left and then taper...makes it sound even more frightening than saying 5 weeks.

Opposite for me. Missed most of the last 3 weeks due to injury so hopefully getting back into it now and loads of training still to do! I'm looking at it as mid-cycle taper! Ran 4m yesterday and leg seems still fine today so taking that as a good sign. Easing into it this week, plan is 4m yesterday / 7m weds / 4m fri / 15m lsr on Sunday to get back into it and then hopefully will have 2 solid weeks training with LSR's of 18m and 20m leaving a 2 week taper. Won't have as many long runs as I would like but if I can get to that stage I will be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

morann wrote: »
    Went to Physio yesterday and I have a hip flexor strain. He is going to work with me to try and make the marathon but I have to take a week off completely. Maybe two. It's very frustrating and even if it does clear up in that time, I will have to build up the miles and forget about taper, hopefully rest the final week. Risky stuff. Starting to regret racing the half now. :-(

Hi Morann, its frustrating as hell I know. Try to look on the bright side that you can hopefully still make it. And if you have to take a couple of weeks rest now you will be able to train harder closer to the marathon. The 3 week taper is designed for having completed 15 weeks hard work first to let your body recover. So if your body is recovering mid-cycle then it won't need as much recovery before the big day. Thats my theory anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Did my first run in the rain this morning, somehow it's been fine every time I've gone out until today. I was glad it was only 5m but it actually wasn't as bad as I expected, Threw on a rain jacket over the usual gear. I decided to stay super and push more then my usual 12 mpm, also max'd out on hills

http://runkeeper.com/user/601655936/activity/120493220

With all the talk about foam rollers I got myself one in Argos in anticipation of how I'll be over the next two weeks especially when the 20m get done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Walkedit wrote: »
    Did my first run in the rain this morning, somehow it's been fine every time I've gone out until today. I was glad it was only 5m but it actually wasn't as bad as I expected, Threw on a rain jacket over the usual gear. I decided to stay super and push more then my usual 12 mpm, also max'd out on hills

http://runkeeper.com/user/601655936/activity/120493220

With all the talk about foam rollers I got myself one in Argos in anticipation of how I'll be over the next two weeks especially when the 20m get done

What country is it that you have been doing your training in up until now?! Wet weather training is essential for an October Marathon. Although from memory it was quite hot for the start of the race last year but the monsoon did arrive later on.

Advertisement