Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

dazza21ie wrote: »
    What country is it that you have been doing your training in up until now?! Wet weather training is essential for an October Marathon. Although from memory it was quite hot for the start of the race last year but the monsoon did arrive later on.

Anyone coming in close to 4 hours last year was soaked. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Used the foam roller again last night - ooouuchhh:eek: It will be interesting to see how the legs feel on the run tonight after two days of it.The wife was looking at me & nodding her head - she thinks I'm mad to be doing this.She might have a point :D - no turning back now though;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

there is nothing more rewarding than a nice warm shower after a rainy run.

played a 5-a-side last night and tweaked my hamstring, so will have to be more careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Anyone coming in close to 4 hours last year was soaked. :)

Well dried out by the time the 6 hour mark came up though!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

dechol wrote: »
    Back from holidays and managed to get very leisurely runs in but need to get back into it seriously this week! Was lovely running on a warm morning and having a swim after so not feeling as motivated by rain today.also had beer and ice cream most days so diet needs an overhaul too! Booked holiday way before marathon decision and in hindsight probably wasn't the best time to holiday. Feel like I was a bit too nice to myself and feeling a bit panicked as only a few weeks left. Anyone else feeling a bit scared!!
    Dechol, I hear you big time! Got home 10 days ago from two weeks in Italy and I have to say, there is nothing nicer than a lovely swim after a morning run. I know it probably feels like you’ve lost fitness, but trust me, you haven’t. It’s not like you were on the lash every night and smoking 40 fags a day, a bit of ice-cream never did anyone any harm! I came home and did a 18 mile LSR the following day and it was one of my best LSR’s to date. I think the fact that I was rested and rejuvenated really helped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

folan wrote: »

played a 5-a-side last night and tweaked my hamstring, so will have to be more careful.

I play 5 Aside myself - got a knock in the calf last week, luckily didn't affect me. Thinking of giving it up til after the marathon. It'll help avoid injury and give me back another day for training!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

I play 5 Aside myself - got a knock in the calf last week, luckily didn't affect me. Thinking of giving it up til after the marathon. It'll help avoid injury and give me back another day for training!
    I'm sure I should, but I feel like the cop 2 days from retirement. If I start wearing a bullet proof vest now, I'll just get shot in the face tomorrow!

Won't be wrapping myself in cotton wool at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Walkedit wrote: »

I can see your split times working fine on Runkeeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Wexford1996

jprender wrote: »
    Monday is LR day for me, and what an absolutely awful day it is weather wise :(

I got absolutely soaked to the skin. I chose a route close to where I live which is 8.5kms, and decided to do 4 loops, safe in the knowledge that if I wanted to call it quits, I'd never be more than about 4km from home :pac:

Started out steady, and the kms started to whistle by at an average pace of 5:40 per km. Quite happy with this as the route I was running is quite undulating, and I'm sure that it wont be so bad in the marathon itself.

Passing my house so many times is almost torture though, it is so tempting to get in out of the rain and cold. All the way round I kept telling myself that I could either give up today, and then die somewhere around Clonskeagh in the marathon, or I could just get my head down and finish the damn thing.

With 16kms to go, I picked up the pace, and by the end I was finishing very strongly. 34kms done, and I now know that I can get around the full course and maybe even enjoy it. I have the feeling though that I am going to fall right in the middle of the 3:45 and 3:30 pacers. I'm going to be cautious though, and run at 3:45 pace.

Total time 3:04:16, although I did not stop once, and my garmin only shows a moving time of 3:02:27 ? I don't get it, but either way, I'm very happy with those times for 34km.

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/226418565

10mile race for me on Sunday, which I'm sure will bring me back down to Earth with a bang. I reckon my legs are going to be dead on the start line :(

In the same boat as you, McMillan puts me at 3.25 based on a 1.37 half but just worried that 3.30 might be a bit ambitous. When I was entering I chose the 3.30 wave but not sure now as I think the 3.45 pacers go in the second wave which would mean dropping back. Have done a few 20 milers at this stage and planning another couple before the big day so probably won't decide until closer to the time. Well done on your long run. You seem to have been very strong at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Hi everyone,

Guess everyone is getting really exited at this stage as we have never been so close one month to go for the big day!Completed the 32k in 3h08 yesterday in phoenix park with the horrible weather, got soaked until the bones after this I am very hopeful for the marathon. Anyway I wanted to ask adivce on socks. Despite I have changed shoes recently I always feel a pain under the fore foot ( on both ) it is like I don't have enough cushioning, I can't afford buying a new pair of shoes again, could someone advise good socks with extra padding?I read about drymax brand but I don't know where I could get those in Dublin. thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Did 29K lat Saturday, having been suffering lower back and hip pain from a dicky sacroliliac joint for weeks. Got through it with no problems on a 6.30 min/K pace as planned. A day later, a mystery pain arrives on the outside of my left foot and it's painful to walk on.:eek: Looks like midweek training is out, and it will be the first missed KM of training from my HH1/HH2 plan. Gutted and now very worried over this. Off to physio this evening. Hopefully good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Just back from physio. The prognosis is not too bad. It is my ITB but I got it on time and haven't run since sat so he reckons I will be back running by next sat. I am still losing a week though.

It was an hour of pure torture, finger prodding, elbowdigging, tens machine and cryotherapy bath:eek:

I am back sitting in the office feeling a bit wiped..wondering what the hell just happened!!

Anyway, a week of stretching and rolling. I would love to be able to swim but it's not worth my while getting into the pool. I swim like a stone!
    Cycling is out as is the cross trainer so I am effectively having an early taper week.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Can anyone give me advice on how to deal with friction burns? I'm starting to be covered in little red marks all over after my long runs. Most of them are small enough that they'll just heal with some balm & wearing softer clothes with seams in different places during non-running hours.

But I have 2 that are only going to get worse with every run. At the half-marathon, I could feel some rubbing around the edge of my bra strap (like a corner of the back / catch part). By the end of the race, I'd a big red mark from it.
    After my 19m LSR on Sun, I'd a serious blister on my central lower back, about where the waist band is I guess. I won't be wearing those shorts again for the next 5 weeks, but I have to wear a bra & they're all the same style!!! :(

So is just exposure to the air the best thing for healing these "burns"?
    Or cover them in plasters all the time so they don't get rubbed at all?
    Or use balm?
    Balm + plasters?
    Or go to the pharmacy & get something stronger?

I covered both these friction marks with plasters for my run today, & I'll be rubbing anti-chafe all over myself for the next few weeks. If anyone has advice on how best to heal these, I'd really appreciate it!

Can anyone give me advice on how to deal with friction burns? I'm starting to be covered in little red marks all over after my long runs. Most of them are small enough that they'll just heal with some balm & wearing softer clothes with seams in different places during non-running hours.

But I have 2 that are only going to get worse with every run. At the half-marathon, I could feel some rubbing around the edge of my bra strap (like a corner of the back / catch part). By the end of the race, I'd a big red mark from it.
    After my 19m LSR on Sun, I'd a serious blister on my central lower back, about where the waist band is I guess. I won't be wearing those shorts again for the next 5 weeks, but I have to wear a bra & they're all the same style!!! :(

Or use balm?
    Balm + plasters?

I covered both these friction marks with plasters for my run today, & I'll be rubbing anti-chafe all over myself for the next few weeks. If anyone has advice on how best to heal these, I'd really appreciate it!
    That’s so weird, I have a friction burn in the exact same place after my 19 miles on Sunday. I wouldn’t mind, but it’s the same pair of pants I’ve been wearing for all my LSR’s so don’t know why it happened. I didn’t even notice it until the hot water hit it in the shower. I feel that everything just hurts more after the 19 miles: 18 miles, I was perfect, 19 miles, I’m in bits! I am wondering if it was the weight of my water belt on my back rather than the pants themselves. Think I’ll just let it air this week and then pop a bandaid over the area for this weekends LSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Some zinc oxide tape on the area will certainly stop any friction burns/blisters.

ncmc wrote: »
    That’s so weird, I have a friction burn in the exact same place after my 19 miles on Sunday. I wouldn’t mind, but it’s the same pair of pants I’ve been wearing for all my LSR’s so don’t know why it happened. I didn’t even notice it until the hot water hit it in the shower. I feel that everything just hurts more after the 19 miles: 18 miles, I was perfect, 19 miles, I’m in bits! I am wondering if it was the weight of my water belt on my back rather than the pants themselves. Think I’ll just let it air this week and then pop a bandaid over the area for this weekends LSR.

Oh the pain of the hot shower!!! Felt like I was stung by a massive wasp when the first shot hit my skin :eek:
    I was thinking those would be my marathon-day-shorts, but I'll go for something else for the next few weeks & hopefully it won't get any worse. I've worn a water belt for all my LSRs (anything longer than 6 or 7 miles really) so I don't think it's that. If I hadn't worn a plaster this morning, I think it would have been just too painful to run (Oh poor me, this is the worst injury I've suffered so far! :o)
    I had a little sore patch there from a few weeks ago, but it was healing ok. This blister is really angry looking! :mad: Anyway I'll be passing a pharmacy shortly so I'm gonna see what wonder-potion they can recommend!

edit: will check out the zinc oxide tape, thanks for the recommendation jprender! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Or use balm?
    Balm + plasters?

I use Vaseline anwhere I expect chaffing. My physio pointed out chaffing on left of my hip that I never knew I had! It must have been caused by the new running belt I wore last weekend. I cut off all labels from inside shorts and tops too to prevent chaffing there.

As for curing chaffing... Time is the only healer. Plasters slow the healing for me but everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Can anyone recommend a Physio around the D2 area? Want to get a niggle sorted before it gets to bad and ruins my marathon plans.

Oh the pain of the hot shower!!! Felt like I was stung by a massive wasp when the first shot hit my skin :eek:
    I was thinking those would be my marathon-day-shorts, but I'll go for something else for the next few weeks & hopefully it won't get any worse. I've worn a water belt for all my LSRs (anything longer than 6 or 7 miles really) so I don't think it's that. If I hadn't worn a plaster this morning, I think it would have been just too painful to run (Oh poor me, this is the worst injury I've suffered so far! :o)
    I had a little sore patch there from a few weeks ago, but it was healing ok. This blister is really angry looking! :mad: Anyway I'll be passing a pharmacy shortly so I'm gonna see what wonder-potion they can recommend!

edit: will check out the zinc oxide tape, thanks for the recommendation jprender! :pac:
    I was the same, have been wearing a water belt for all my LSR’s and wearing those exact pants and was perfect until Sunday. But it’s the only think I can think of as my pants don’t have a seam or label or anything. It’s like everything that worked up as far as 19 miles, suddenly doesn’t work anymore! I think it’s given me a whole new respect for the marathon. Before I was saying, “oh I’ve done 18 miles, how hard will another 8 be” but Sunday’s run really put things back in perpective!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Satanta wrote: »
    I have a good and bad run this weekend. Good in the sense that my perceived effort and average HR are dropping week on week at this stage and I am feeling more comfortable. Bad in the sense that I couldnt finish the run and had to walk/limp after 16 miles. I'll be going to the physio tomorrow evening to get checked out. Knee and hip pain, and pain connecting both :eek:

Hopefully it's be easily sorted out.

Anne, or anyone.... I am thinking that if I get this sorted I could do a longer run this weekend to make up for the fact I didn't finish at the weekend. My head is going mental telling me I havent enough long runs done and I need to get my 18 miler done. What to do?

16m of the 18 miles were completed, is this correct Santanta, if so then don't worry about tryiong to catch up this weekend, sounds like ITB thats needs a bit of TLC :eek:, well foam rolling anyway. Then stick withthe plan, if you don't take your stepback week this week, you could be in trouble next week as its the highest mileage week of the plan. Hopefully you'll get sorted and won't miss too many runs this week, but missing a couple won't make any differenct to the overall picture at his stage.
    docrock wrote: »
    Hi Younganne,
    as youve asked about questions I have one in relation to gels & imodium;).

I have tried loads of gels but I still havent found one that agrees with my dodgy stomach - I nearly threw one up on the LSR on Saturday. I did contemplate not using them at all during the race but just reading peoples advice it seems I'd be crazy not to. Someone else said that they took Imodium before the lsr, is that something that runners do?? I've only ever taken one gel on a lsr as I had to literally do a runner a while ago:eek: so I'd be afraid to take anymore than one but if the Imodium sorts out the problem its surely worth a go?? I'd obviously have to try it out on the next lsr but is it common to take both?

Make sure you are taking enought water withthe Gels that required it, and even withthe Isogels, i still take a swig of water to wash them donw, andothe thing you could do is just take a little bit at a time over a few minutes so that its not all hitting your stomach at once. Make usre you ahve eated properly int he lead up to the LSR and have hydrated properly the day before and this should all help you...try other things like sports jellies or even chocolate to give you energy/sugarboost

folan wrote: »

Be careful, you don't want an injury at this stage and that risk is always there with any "contact sport". I definitely recommend you be careful int he taper as your legs will be fresher so you might play harder, defeats the purpose of a taper!!

I have to say you're a great bunch for the advice and support for each other and that helps everyone on the journey!! Keep upt he good work guys!

• Advertisement

I was the same, have been wearing a water belt for all my LSR’s and wearing those exact pants and was perfect until Sunday. But it’s the only think I can think of as my pants don’t have a seam or label or anything. It’s like everything that worked up as far as 19 miles, suddenly doesn’t work anymore! I think it’s given me a whole new respect for the marathon. Before I was saying, “oh I’ve done 18 miles, how hard will another 8 be” but Sunday’s run really put things back in perpective!

this will happen especially if it rains on the day. Clothes will rub and end up with blisters, friction burns etc
    I would definitley recommend that everyone gets out for a run in the rain wearing the clothes they plan for the big day and to see how it works for them. Afterall on the day, we just have to take whatever weather is there!!!
    Remember that there will be plenty of water in 250ml bottles on the day so you won't have to carry water with you!

Younganne wrote: »
    Remember that there will be plenty of water in 250ml bottles on the day so you won't have to carry water with you!

I started bringing 2 X 500 ml bottles High5 Zero electrolyte on my LSRs in a water belt and it made a huge difference to my run. It was nice to be able to take a drink of electrolye anytime I felt like it. Can't really do that if I just use the water handed out at the water stations unless I bring the electrolyte tablets in my pocket and drop them into the bottles throughout the run.

Or I could just bring my water belt and 2 bottles :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Or use balm?
    Balm + plasters?

Well i bought a sports bra in m&s and its brilliant. its same style as your mothers bra (not that i ever seen your mothers bra) but nobody is going to see it and theres no chaffing. it cost 24 euro and they have black or white.

npresto wrote: »
    I started bringing 2 X 500 ml bottles High5 Zero electrolyte on my LSRs in a water belt and it made a huge difference to my run. It was nice to be able to take a drink of electrolye anytime I felt like it. Can't really do that if I just use the water handed out at the water stations unless I bring the electrolyte tablets in my pocket and drop them into the bottles throughout the run.

Or I could just bring my water belt and 2 bottles :D:D

Using the water supplied will give you freah water and not water that you have been carrying for a while.
    But the bottles are only 250ml so will only take a half tablet and so maybe bring your own as it will be easier that trying to mix on the run!!

this will happen especially if it rains on the day. Clothes will rub and end up with blisters, friction burns etc
    I would definitley recommend that everyone gets out for a run in the rain wearing the clothes they plan for the big day and to see how it works for them.

Why give yourself potential blisters and chaffing in the rain today and then be in discomfort for the next few days/runs?

If you get blisters on the day of the marathon you will have to just deal with them but you will be treating them and be in discomfort AFTER the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

npresto wrote: »
    Why give yourself potential blisters and chaffing in the rain today and then be in discomfort for the next few days/runs?

If you get blisters on the day of the marathon you will have to just deal with them but you will be treating them and be in discomfort AFTER the marathon.

The point is to detect the problem areas in training and fix them before the marathon.
    If you have a top/belt/shorts/bra that chafes, stop wearing it or protect the area that chafes with plasters, tape or bodyglide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Finally got out today for my 32k LSR postponed from the weekend due to All-Ireland festivities :) I would have gone yesterday but the rain was bucketing down. Seemed the same this morning so there was nothing for it but to head out - couldn't afford to put it off any longer as the schedule is messed up enough as it is.

I've run in rain before of course but never for so long and with such unrelenting precipitation - not particularly heavy but persistent. However it didn't feel too bad - aren't modern fabrics great? Wore a long sleeve shirt as it was a little chilly. Glad I did that as I was able to pull down over my hands which got cold and didn't warm up for a good while. It was a tough enough run, but you learn about the rain. One of the advantages is the lack of overheating I suppose - I didn't really feel like drinking much during the run and had to force myself really.

Had a tough week of pace runs last week so took it handy today - nearly three hours 45 for the 33k (Garmin died and I got lost, hence the extra k) which certainly won't be breaking any records. Too slow I guess - well outside my usual LSR pace.

But good to be out there again - no chafing and still injury free!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

So with the change of weather i'm after getting the flu. It's after hitting me like a brick wall.

Supposed to run 5m tonight but im going to skip it. Will do a light 2m tomorrow night and then my last big LSR on Thursday.

Hopefully i will have this shook off by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Or use balm?
    Balm + plasters?

Bodyglide everywhere that chafes (particularly under any seams) - even when you're wearing your normal clothes to protect it. Also, get a bra fitting - a lot of the time if the band is moving enough to cause chafing it's because it's too loose. Likelihood is you should be wearing one with a smaller band and larger cup than you're currently wearing. Bramora in Earlsfort Terrace are great for this.

I get that waistband blister all the time - tends to happen when I have stuff (particularly awkwardly shaped things) in my back pocket.

• Advertisement

I think it’s given me a whole new respect for the marathon. Before I was saying, “oh I’ve done 18 miles, how hard will another 8 be” but Sunday’s run really put things back in perpective!
    I thought the exact same! 17m a few weeks ago - no discomfort. Then 13m last wk - the chaffing begins :confused: 19m this weekend - it's pretty bad. I'm almost more worried about how my skin will hold up to an extra 7m than my legs :rolleyes:

Anyway the pharmacist recommended fresh air, bepanthen & time to heal the friction burns. And some fancier plasters (I think less glue irritation) for covering up while I run. I thought I detected a slight raised eyebrow when I asked him for "something to heal and prevent friction burns" :P Of course he took it very seriously when I explained that I'm an elite athlete preparing for a marathon ;)
    After my OH's adventures with triathlon dehydration & a long day in Casualty in Blanch :eek: I'll be wearing my water belt, even if it's bucketing down on the day!

Advertisement