Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

did my 18m on sunday. Have to say it was by far the hardest run of the programme. Think the problems started when after 10 miles i stopped at my car to refill my water bottles. Psychologically it was really hard to motivate myself for another 8 miles and once again my head got the better of me and i psyched myself out completely. was even thinking of dropping out of the marathon and just giving up. Dont worry i banished those thoughts pretty quick. did a lot of walking in the last 8 miles. but through a combination of walking and running and gritting my teeth i got through and completed the 18 miles in 3hr50. was glad i kept going as there was many times when i was tempted to take a shortcut back to the car.
    Anyway hoping that it will stand to me on the day and after the run i have definitely abandoned any time ideas am going to start with 5hr pacers but if i can't hang on I will drop back as goal no.1 is to finish and maybe even smile at the finish for my photo :) Am happy to have some idea of a pace to aim for though as that was a problem for me for a long time not knowing what i was capable of.
    5 mile run done today and went great, I love running in the rain. So I was happy that after the weekend i dont seem to have any problems following on the plan as i was thinking sunday theres no way i can do this weeks runs. But i will as I've already missed too many probably another reason why Sunday was hard.
    Anyway will stop with the essay now (my posts are always really long, sorry)
    Just one question does anyone know anywhere in Kildare, Naas area preferably that has bodyglide?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

stevekavo wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a Physio around the D2 area? Want to get a niggle sorted before it gets to bad and ruins my marathon plans.

Eoin Dockery from The Physio Company. They have a place in Baggot st. I've seen him a couple of times and found him good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

blockic wrote: »
    So with the change of weather i'm after getting the flu. It's after hitting me like a brick wall.

Supposed to run 5m tonight but im going to skip it. Will do a light 2m tomorrow night and then my last big LSR on Thursday.

Hopefully i will have this shook off by then!
    Get well soon Blocky....feet up and lots of cups of tea ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

So with the change of weather i'm after getting the flu. It's after hitting me like a brick wall.

Supposed to run 5m tonight but im going to skip it. Will do a light 2m tomorrow night and then my last big LSR on Thursday.

Get well then resume training when you are 100%, if you don't you may prolong the illness.

My new toys arrived today....Garmin 10 and The Stick. I am a complete internet shopaholic but it was either buy new clothes or buy new running accessories :D Took the Garmin out for my 5 miles tonight and it was pretty cool - i'd say you could pass a good few minutes playing around with it on a long run. Its a nice size and really easy to use....career_move is a happy bunny tonight :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

My new toys arrived today....Garmin 10 and The Stick. I am a complete internet shopaholic but it was either buy new clothes or buy new running accessories :D Took the Garmin out for my 5 miles tonight and it was pretty cool - i'd say you could pass a good few minutes playing around with it on a long run. Its a nice size and really easy to use....career_move is a happy bunny tonight :D

Good stuff, you'll never be able to run without a watch again!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Get well soon block, got manflu myself with change of weather. Went out and did 4 miles tonight as I had such a bad week with runs last week. The wife thinks i'm nuts but i managed to run in the only part of the last few days that it hasnt been raining!

zefer wrote: »
    Get well soon block, got manflu myself with change of weather. Went out and did 4 miles tonight as I had such a bad week with runs last week. The wife thinks i'm nuts but i managed to run in the only part of the last few days that it hasnt been raining!

Looks like with the seriousness of the illness that is manflu, we could be doubtful for 5 weeks time. :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Dont think I could run without my Garmin 305.
    How'd I know my pacing, how far have I ran, whats my heart rate, how will I update my stats on Garmin Connect / SportsTracks & Training Center, how will I know what type of run to do, what if I'm doing intervals - there'll be no beeb.....................ARE THOSE MY FEET......

Looks like with the seriousness of the illness that is manflu, we could be doubtful for 5 weeks time. :D;)

Pffft :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6keUdzwFCHU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Ok, I must be using it wrong, nothing that is as painful as the foam roller can be good for you! I have pains were I didn't even know I had pains before! Even the dog is giving me funny looks after watch me huff and puff for 5 mins trying to do the side of my thigh down to my knee. I'm not a very flexible person at the best of times and even less so when there's serious pain involved. I've given up after about three rolls on each side. Oh my god the pain! I'm off for a nice hot shower to recover and hope it will be easier tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

ncmc wrote: »
    Ok, I must be using it wrong, nothing that is as painful as the foam roller can be good for you! I have pains were I didn't even know I had pains before! Even the dog is giving me funny looks after watch me huff and puff for 5 mins trying to do the side of my thigh down to my knee. I'm not a very flexible person at the best of times and even less so when there's serious pain involved. I've given up after about three rolls on each side. Oh my god the pain! I'm off for a nice hot shower to recover and hope it will be easier tomorrow.

if it doesn't hurt, your not doing it right!!

If it does hurt, then you need to do it more on the tender spot (at least my physio says that)

Dont think I could run without my Garmin 305.
    How'd I know my pacing, how far have I ran, whats my heart rate, how will I update my stats on Garmin Connect / SportsTracks & Training Center, how will I know what type of run to do, what if I'm doing intervals - there'll be no beeb.....................ARE THOSE MY FEET......

I've always been a free spirit up to now....its a whole new experience to have something complaining at me when I slow down :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It gets easier as time goes on, and if it's really painful now that means that you really needed to roll. It's something you just have to grit your teeth a bit with.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bren69

I also had a tough 19 mile LSR on Saturday in 3:03. Looking back at my garmin http://connect.garmin.com/activity/225712303 I started off too fast and suffered over the last few miles. In hindsight, I don't think I'd eaten enough before the run either (only had a sandwich and a banana 3 hours before). My ankle has been a bit sore since so I've been putting ice on it. Went out for 5 mile run today and ankle felt fine when running but a bit sore afterwards so more ice this evening.

Looking back at my recent LSR's, I think they may all be a bit quick (averaging between 9:30 and 9:40 min/miles). As I am targeting a 3:59 marathon which is roughly 9 min miles, I'm going to make a big effort to slow down to 10 minute miles for final 3 LSR's (12m, 20m & 12m). Do you think it is too late to train my body to burn fat rather than glycogen at this stage? A bit worried that I might be meeting the wall at 20 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

morann wrote: »
    Went to Physio yesterday and I have a hip flexor strain. He is going to work with me to try and make the marathon but I have to take a week off completely. Maybe two. It's very frustrating and even if it does clear up in that time, I will have to build up the miles and forget about taper, hopefully rest the final week. Risky stuff. Starting to regret racing the half now. :-(

I had the same thing morann and missed a full week, then did a week of half the mileage, then back to full training. I did all the physio recommended religiously, I still do those exercises now. Haven't had a problem with my hip since. Hopefully this is the same for you. Oh and I found cycling to be fine and used it to keep my fitness up, seemed to do the trick.

I am now recovering from another injury and like you will be building up the miles and will have a shorter taper. Good luck with it all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Donal112 wrote: »
    Opposite for me. Missed most of the last 3 weeks due to injury so hopefully getting back into it now and loads of training still to do! I'm looking at it as mid-cycle taper! Ran 4m yesterday and leg seems still fine today so taking that as a good sign. Easing into it this week, plan is 4m yesterday / 7m weds / 4m fri / 15m lsr on Sunday to get back into it and then hopefully will have 2 solid weeks training with LSR's of 18m and 20m leaving a 2 week taper. Won't have as many long runs as I would like but if I can get to that stage I will be delighted.

Same game plan as meself Donal, hope it works ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Ooh enjoy! I'm addicted to my Garmin :o Can't run without it now, but I find it really motivating to know how far / long I've run, what's left to go, how I feel relative to the pace, how I'm getting on compared to my virtual pacer (this is my favourite function! :cool: So easy to know if I'm on track or not.)

I broke the strap on my Garmin the day before the half-marathon :eek: & the sellotape I have holding it together isn't going to stand up to much more sweat, but there's a replacement on the way from Amazon as I type!

Also after 2y8m of frequent use, the battery life isn't as long now (would probably get 4h30 out of it, but I doubt I'd get 5h with the GPS on. Can last lots of days just as a watch though), so gonna have to borrow my OH's brand new one (as in it's still in the post from Amazon...) on race day. He's a generous boy :D

Enjoy your new toy! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Where did you get The Stick Career Move and for how much, if you don't mind me asking? Was going to get one from Amazon but the sellers either wouldn't ship to Ireland or would charge a fortune for doing so - no advantage to getting it from them vs local shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

npresto wrote: »
    I can see your split times working fine on Runkeeper.

Yes I think I just hadn't scrolled down until I saw yours but I still can't add the DCM to my races!! The splits are a bit up and down but I'm blaming those hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Well dried out by the time the 6 hour mark came up though!:)

Yes I've been charmed to date by the sun fairy ... hence no rain until now

OR it's Karma those of us who were out on the course last year for 6 Hours and 55 mins saw a life times rain in one single day, Monsoon is about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

It gets easier the more you use it... Honestly. :)
    I made the mistake of not using the roller before my last LSR and ended up in physio with ITBS. If you think the roller is painful, think about a physio digging his hands in when your IT band is really tight. Pain X 10:/
    If it hurts then your It bands are already tight. Get rolling:)

Haha, you were warned! sounds like you are doing it perfectly!!

Wont be long until you'll be doing it 20 times each side not a bother. Don't quit on it!

Also, on the painful parts you should hold the position for 30seconds to get the knots out, then continue the roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hilarious...thanks for that one!:D:D:D

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Where did you get The Stick Career Move and for how much, if you don't mind me asking? Was going to get one from Amazon but the sellers either wouldn't ship to Ireland or would charge a fortune for doing so - no advantage to getting it from them vs local shop.
    Amphibianking....40 yoyos. I got it with the other stuff so didn't mind paying the 7 delivery charge

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Even if you have to stop before you think you've completely tackled the tight spot, come back to it again the next day and it will be easier. You'll still have made progress on it.

I was huffing and puffing the first couple of times, esp on the IT bands

After that you just regularly do you're rolling and you won't have to go through that initial pain again.

Also, even when you have relieved a tight spot, it can still be a bit tender afterwards, so if it is still sore it doesn't mean you've failed.

Haha, you were warned! sounds like you are doing it perfectly!!

Wont be long until you'll be doing it 20 times each side not a bother. Don't quit on it!

Also, on the painful parts you should hold the position for 30seconds to get the knots out, then continue the roll.

Hey Blockic (or any other ...em...foam roller enthusiast)

Any other area's you find it useful for besides the IT bands and the calves?

Thats all I really use it for and find it great, maybe i could get more use out of it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Struggling to motivate myself to get out in this rain!!know it is good training but getting a bit sick of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Could anyone tell me if there is an option to set the garmin forerunner 205 in km?I'm thinking of getting one but would be very frustrated if it can be used in miles only.

• Advertisement

lmguillou wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me if there is an option to set the garmin forerunner 205 in km?I'm thinking of getting one but would be very frustrated if it can be used in miles only.

Ya you can select Km or Miles as the unit of measure you want to use.

Advertisement