Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

I would imagine that there is a metric setting, I don't have a 205 but I had a 405 and now the 610 and both allow you to choose metric as your measurement system

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

I bought these about two years ago - one of them packed in before the summer but the other one is still going strong so I got great value. With the dark evenings /mornings over the next month we need to be seen more than ever. You can have the lights flashing or on constantly but any motorist cant miss you from 100 yards - I found them great anyway.

Aldi have them on sale tomorrow for €5.99 for a pack of 4 - I think I paid €15 or something on ebay for 2 :eek::eek: - you couldnt go wrong at that price even if you only got a year out of them.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_23673.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

docrock wrote: »
    I bought these about two years ago - one of them packed in before the summer but the other one is still going strong so I got great value. With the dark evenings /mornings over the next month we need to be seen more than ever. You can have the lights flashing or on constantly but any motorist cant miss you from 100 yards - I found them great anyway.

Aldi have them on sale tomorrow for €5.99 for a pack of 4 - I think I paid €15 or something on ebay for 2 :eek::eek: - you couldnt go wrong at that price even if you only got a year out of them.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_23673.htm

I was in Woodies last week and bought a headlamp. My kids are mortified and ready to disown me if anyone they know sees me!

Whatever happened to 'be safe, be seen'..............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I was in Woodies last week and bought a headlamp. My kids are mortified and ready to disown me if anyone they know sees me!

Whatever happened to 'be safe, be seen'..............
    I have a head lamp too, but I find it quite uncomfortable to keep on, it bobbles about a bit :D. I quite like the reflective cycling jacket, I need something a bit warmer for these cold evenings. Does anyone know if the cycling stuff would be ok for running too?

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_23663.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

miguelk wrote: »
    Hey Blockic (or any other ...em...foam roller enthusiast)

Any other area's you find it useful for besides the IT bands and the calves?

Thats all I really use it for and find it great, maybe i could get more use out of it.

Thanks.

This sounds like the stonecutters out of the simpsons! Some kind of underground foam rolling club! ha!

I use it on my quadriceps also, however tried it with my calf muscles as well but i find trying to keep the weight on that muscle tough enough.

ncmc wrote: »
    I have a head lamp too, but I find it quite uncomfortable to keep on, it bobbles about a bit :D. I quite like the reflective cycling jacket, I need something a bit warmer for these cold evenings. Does anyone know if the cycling stuff would be ok for running too?

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_23663.htm[/QUOTE]

I bought a few of the long sleeve training tops earlier in the year & being honest the werent great- they just dont seem to fit properly.I found that by waiting a while I got better quality ones on the bargain rail in lifestyle & tk max & there wasnt a great deal in the difference price - the only issue that I have is that I can be spotted by the US space station on frosty evenings:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_23663.htm

I ran all last winter in a waterproof cycling jacket like this: http://www.wigglestatic.com/images/altura-pktrkt-jkt-11-zoom.jpg

No bother at all. I just wore a light compression top underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭Trampas

was out for my 8 miler at 6.45am before work which ended been 13.5km cause I was in autopilot near the end.

Felt I was running faster than I was but I did my 8km run after work yesterday evening so probably small amount of that still in the legs or even my 19miler from the weekend

pace overall was ok but slower than my normal midweek longer run.

npresto wrote: »
    I ran all last winter in a waterproof cycling jacket like this: http://www.wigglestatic.com/images/altura-pktrkt-jkt-11-zoom.jpg

No bother at all. I just wore a light compression top underneath.

I bought this is heitons / sportsworld last year - great value reduced to €16 & still going strong, wore it for the 10k run last night - the tag on it atthe time said that it was £45 in the UK:eek::eek:.

http://store.karrimor.com/karrimor-mens-running-jacket-452065

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

blockic wrote: »
    Haha, you were warned! sounds like you are doing it perfectly!!

Wont be long until you'll be doing it 20 times each side not a bother. Don't quit on it!

Also, on the painful parts you should hold the position for 30seconds to get the knots out, then continue the roll.

Hey Blockic (or any other ...em...foam roller enthusiast)

Any other area's you find it useful for besides the IT bands and the calves?

Thats all I really use it for and find it great, maybe i could get more use out of it.

Thanks.

I love my foam roller, I have "the grid" one that has bumpy bits, got it a good while ago on the advice of the physio for ibt issues, it used to be agony but once they loosened out it was fine, I use it every day keeps everything ticking over. First I do glutes, then hamstrings, calves (put one leg on top of the other for calves to get a bit of extra weight) ibts, then quads, I do it in front of the telly so it distracts me a bit. Spend a bit of time on anything that hurts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Just been reading up on ncmc's foam rolling experience, absolutely dreading the thing arriving in the post now!! Had tight calf muscle after 8.5 mile run yesterday so thought I'd give the rolling a go, what am I in for :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Runchick wrote: »
    Just been reading up on ncmc's foam rolling experience, absolutely dreading the thing arriving in the post now!! Had tight calf muscle after 8.5 mile run yesterday so thought I'd give the rolling a go, what am I in for :eek::eek:

I used to do my childbirth labour breathing rolling the ibts when I first got mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Runchick wrote: »
    Pain runchick, pain!!! And the worst thing is, you have to inflict it on yourself. It's kind of like the time every woman has experienced when they thought they'd save money by home waxing.... yes it is that sore*

*It should be noted however that I am a complete wuss about pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

A quick question about the importance of tune-up races before the marathon....

I'm supposed to have a race this weekend, but can't because of work.
    The training plan also calls for another tune-up race in a couple of weeks, but I can not find anything suitable.

Is it ok not to do a race, and just clock up more miles as training sessions ?
    Should I treat the training sessions on these days like a race and give it my all in a time-trial? It's just a pain with traffic and crossing roads etc etc

Any advice ? Will it be a big negative if I don't complete a race prior to the marathon? I have a pretty good idea what time I should shoot for in the main event anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Pain runchick, pain!!! And the worst thing is, you have to inflict it on yourself. It's kind of like the time every woman has experienced when they thought they'd save money by home waxing.... yes it is that sore*

Oh my, remind me why we are doing all this ;) All I can think is roll on that finish line and a nice pint of guinness...I'll keep this front of mind when rolling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cabbage11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BRSw-B4-2E

I thought this documentary was very good, as it shows the marathon from all angles, although it is quite long as its in 10 seperate parts.
    I can really relate to the training Deena Kastor does in it, as I too am now up to just over 135 miles per week, albeit i am driving it and not running it, I feel I can really empathise with her!:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

jprender wrote: »
    A quick question about the importance of tune-up races before the marathon....

I'm supposed to have a race this weekend, but can't because of work.
    The training plan also calls for another tune-up race in a couple of weeks, but I can not find anything suitable.

Is it ok not to do a race, and just clock up more miles as training sessions ?
    Should I treat the training sessions on these days like a race and give it my all in a time-trial? It's just a pain with traffic and crossing roads etc etc

Any advice ? Will it be a big negative if I don't complete a race prior to the marathon? I have a pretty good idea what time I should shoot for in the main event anyway.

check this out, hope its useful to you. You doing P&D??

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80947972#post80947972

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

+1 on the foam roller - I got it after some physio advice for my ITB tightness causing pain in my piriformis and it has absolutely worked. was sore at the dublin 10 miler but ever since I've been ok. hard to keep it up though as it is sore but it get's easier and you know you're recovering then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

I know its a bit early for this but its keeping me sane(ish).

I keep thinking of (a)things I need to do or get in advance of the Marathon and also (b) all the things I need ready for the day to bring with me.

I've started 2 checklists for both of the above and every time I think of something it goes down on the list. Once i know it is on the list I know it will get done (or get packed) so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Some examples that have made the hitlists it so far:

Things to do before Marathon
    - Print Pace band
    - Get more energy gels
    - Get disposable poncho or similar for start line
    - purchase or locate old hat/gloves for start line

Closer to the date:
    - clip toe nails
    - Charge garmin
    ...etc etc

Things to wear/pack on the day
    - Body glide
    - Tracksuit
    - Spare tracksuit top
    - Watch
    - Kit (singlet/shorts/socks/runners)
    - Hat/gloves
    - Money for pub
    - Energy Drink

I've no idea if others are like this but this list is taking some of the stress out of it for me (which is already building!)

• Advertisement

I keep thinking of (a)things I need to do or get in advance of the Marathon and also (b) all the things I need ready for the day to bring with me.

I've started 2 checklists for both of the above and every time I think of something it goes down on the list. Once i know it is on the list I know it will get done (or get packed) so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

- Print Pace band
    - Get more energy gels
    - Get disposable poncho or similar for start line

Closer to the date:
    - clip toe nails
    - Charge garmin
    ...etc etc

- Body glide
    - Tracksuit
    - Spare tracksuit top
    - Watch
    - Hat/gloves
    - Money for pub
    - Energy Drink

I've no idea if others are like this but this list is taking some of the stress out of it for me (which is already building!)

You forgot 3 packets of HTFU's :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Read all three previous novices threads from start to finish :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Younganne wrote: »

Thanks YA, would love to do that, but alas, it doesn't suit unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

- Print Pace band( print 2 different time (plan a & plan b) and cover in sellotape to make waterproof if printing your own, pace bands are available at the EXPO)
    - Get more energy gels
    -Get disposable poncho or similar for start line (Black bag with arm & head holes cut out wil suffice)

Closer to the date:
    - clip toe nails(toenail Tuesday, I will be addressing this nearer the time)
    - Charge garmin(automatically do this every evening/after every run so that it is a habit)

- Body glide
    - Tracksuit
    - Spare tracksuit top
    - Watch
    - Hat/gloves
    - Money for pub
    - Energy Drink
    - Number:D
    - HR strap if wearing

great idea and just keep adding to it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Nice one miguelk.....a ready made checklist! Sweet :D

Its a "dont know whether to laugh or cry pain" - I've only been using it for two days before the run yesterday evening but strangely yesterdays run was a good one - only 10k recovery run but certainly not as sluggish as I would have been after previous LSR's.

Nice one miguelk.....a ready made checklist! Sweet :D

Its actually a good bit longer, I'll post the whole thing up closer to d-day and if you can check everything off the list you know you're sorted!

RayCun wrote: »

After putting that idea in my head I'd say there's a 50/50 I'll actually do it, I don't know whether to thank you or curse you!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

RayCun wrote: »

Could be worse, next year's lot are going to have some heaving reading when we are all done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Physio appointment booked for 9am tomorrow. Hope she can give me some good news. A full week off running now and I am stir crazy !

Advertisement