Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

Physio appointment booked for 9am tomorrow. Hope she can give me some good news. A full week off running now and I am stir crazy !

Fingers crossed for ya PM...!

I had MRI last Sunday and have the tentative go ahead to continue this utter madness. :p

Am sure you'll make it to the start line - you'll probably have to carry me over it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

My new toys arrived today....Garmin 10 and The Stick. I am a complete internet shopaholic but it was either buy new clothes or buy new running accessories :D Took the Garmin out for my 5 miles tonight and it was pretty cool - i'd say you could pass a good few minutes playing around with it on a long run. Its a nice size and really easy to use....career_move is a happy bunny tonight :D

Ooh enjoy! I'm addicted to my Garmin :o Can't run without it now, but I find it really motivating to know how far / long I've run, what's left to go, how I feel relative to the pace, how I'm getting on compared to my virtual pacer (this is my favourite function! :cool: So easy to know if I'm on track or not.)

I broke the strap on my Garmin the day before the half-marathon :eek: & the sellotape I have holding it together isn't going to stand up to much more sweat, but there's a replacement on the way from Amazon as I type!

Also after 2y8m of frequent use, the battery life isn't as long now (would probably get 4h30 out of it, but I doubt I'd get 5h with the GPS on. Can last lots of days just as a watch though), so gonna have to borrow my OH's brand new one (as in it's still in the post from Amazon...) on race day. He's a generous boy :D

Enjoy your new toy! :pac:

Hi there my hubbie wants to buy me my first garmin for my birthday next week but I have no idea which model - any recommendations gratefully received !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Physio appointment booked for 9am tomorrow. Hope she can give me some good news. A full week off running now and I am stir crazy !

Best of luck PM, hope its good news. Feel your pain on the no running.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

So the Physio say the foot pain is likely to be Peroneal Tendonitis, but could be a stress fracture if it were not to improve in the coming days(and it hasn't really in the last few days). Beginning to stress now, and will be missing the midweek runs this week, which will be the first I have missed ever. So anyway, assuming this improves by Saturday, and my physio gives me the all clear, should I do my long run, given I've done nothing midweek?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

peggysue2 wrote: »
    My new toys arrived today....Garmin 10 and The Stick. I am a complete internet shopaholic but it was either buy new clothes or buy new running accessories :D Took the Garmin out for my 5 miles tonight and it was pretty cool - i'd say you could pass a good few minutes playing around with it on a long run. Its a nice size and really easy to use....career_move is a happy bunny tonight :D

Ooh enjoy! I'm addicted to my Garmin :o Can't run without it now, but I find it really motivating to know how far / long I've run, what's left to go, how I feel relative to the pace, how I'm getting on compared to my virtual pacer (this is my favourite function! :cool: So easy to know if I'm on track or not.)

I broke the strap on my Garmin the day before the half-marathon :eek: & the sellotape I have holding it together isn't going to stand up to much more sweat, but there's a replacement on the way from Amazon as I type!

Also after 2y8m of frequent use, the battery life isn't as long now (would probably get 4h30 out of it, but I doubt I'd get 5h with the GPS on. Can last lots of days just as a watch though), so gonna have to borrow my OH's brand new one (as in it's still in the post from Amazon...) on race day. He's a generous boy :D

Hi there my hubbie wants to buy me my first garmin for my birthday next week but I have no idea which model - any recommendations gratefully received !

Lucky birthday girl! I have the Forerunner 405. Think it cost about 220€ in Jan 2010 & came with HRM, wall charger & usb stick for data transfer. This one has a virtual pacer (2 can be set up, 1 for running & 1 for cycling) which I think is a nice feature & makes it mega easy to see how you're maintaining your goal pace. I'm very happy with mine & would buy it again. The battery used to last 8 hours (with gps on) when I first bought it, I'd get about +4:30 now, but I've had plenty of use out of it. Wrist strap also broke just 2 weeks ago: the rubber that holds in the closing clasp wore out. Replacement is in the post from Amazon (€27 incl postage). I think it's worth buying the strap. I'll borrow my OH's new watch for the marathon & I'll probably get another year out of mine.

I think there a plenty of other models which are probably just as good but I suppose when I was researching before I bought it, this must have seemed like the best one for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

I just got a garmin forerunner 110 last month and love it.Very basic model but suits me for my first one.Very easy to use and battery life eight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

dechol wrote: »
    I just got a garmin forerunner 110 last month and love it.Very basic model but suits me for my first one.Very easy to use and battery life eight hours.

Word of warning though...I have a 110 about 15 months now and wristband has cracked and broken . Finding it difficult to get replacement wristband at moment. Watch working perfectly but not much use to me if I can't wear it!

Resorting to glueing (superglue)it at moment but it doesn't seem to last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Hope it goes well PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I got the Garmin 10 from Amphibianking. Amphkingwest did a deal for boardie's...120 instead of 135. Its the most basic model i think but I find it great. Does everything I want at the moment. Pace/Distance/Virtual Pacer etc. Dcrainmaker does in depth reviews of all the Garmins. This is the one for the GF10

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/garmin-forerunner-10-fr10-gps-watch-in.html

Mrs Noc wrote: »
    Hope it goes well PM

+1 PM Fingers crossed for you

• Advertisement

So the Physio say the foot pain is likely to be Peroneal Tendonitis, but could be a stress fracture if it were not to improve in the coming days(and it hasn't really in the last few days). Beginning to stress now, and will be missing the midweek runs this week, which will be the first I have missed ever. So anyway, assuming this improves by Saturday, and my physio gives me the all clear, should I do my long run, given I've done nothing midweek?
    Hi Mac. Hard luck with the foot pain. How long was your lsr supposed to be?

Hi Mac. Hard luck with the foot pain. How long was your lsr supposed to be?
    Just 23k its a step back week before my 20 miler the weekend after. Getting so bloody close too

I think it would be a bad idea to do 23k when you were out with the foot injury. I think you might be better to build it back up slowly like Runchick is doing. If it was me I'd want to know I could handle 5 - 10k first before I committed to a big run

I think it would be a bad idea to do 23k when you were out with the foot injury. I think you might be better to build it back up slowly like Runchick is doing. If it was me I'd want to know I could handle 5 - 10k first before I committed to a big run
    Good thinking. Maybe will start with 5 as soon as I'm given the all clear and build up by 5 at a time until the 20 miler. Assuming its not a fracture

Sounds good :D you have the majority of the hard work done by now anyway. Fingers crossed for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

So did my midweek 9 mile this evening. I'd love to say it went great, but it really didn't. Just tired and sore I suppose. Probably due to the 20m at the weekend, and then the 5m yesterday. First time running in the dark and cold since last winter. It was a bit miserable all round.

Also - I know I'm supposed to be going slow, but I felt like I was the slowest man alive tonight.. And at one point, a yappy dog barked at my feet as I ran past. Little fecker.

Couldn't wait to finish up and get home for a hot shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bren69

Did 8 miles today and ankle is still a bit sore and a bit swollen. Can run on it but doesn't feel quite right. Iced it when I got in. Going to give tomorrow's 5m run a miss (first one I have missed) but hopefully with RICE it'll be ok for the weekend. Otherwise, I'll be off to the physio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Good thinking. Maybe will start with 5 as soon as I'm given the all clear and build up by 5 at a time until the 20 miler. Assuming its not a fracture

I'm just wondering to myself here...how bad is your foot?
    Surely if it was in anyway fractured you wouldnt be able to walk properly on it never mind run on it?

I suppose I'm more trying to understand how bad an injury has to feel before it can be considered a possible stress fracture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

rasher_m wrote: »
    Surely if it was in anyway fractured you wouldnt be able to walk properly on it never mind run on it?

I suppose I'm more trying to understand how bad an injury has to feel before it can be considered a possible stress fracture.

+1.
    I have had a peronial tendon Injury before and I thought I had a stress fracture (I had been out for a week with a very sore foot). My Physio ruled out a fracture in 2 minutes and had me back running pain free withing 2 days of my visit.
    A good physio should have been able to rule in/out a stress fracture on a single visit and it sounds like yours is fobbing you off. A good physio is worth their weight in gold as there are a lot of poor ones out there.

If you let us know where you live maybe someone can recommed some else to visit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

bren69 wrote: »
    Did 8 miles today and ankle is still a bit sore and a bit swollen. Can run on it but doesn't feel quite right. Iced it when I got in. Going to give tomorrow's 5m run a miss (first one I have missed) but hopefully with RICE it'll be ok for the weekend. Otherwise, I'll be off to the physio.

My ankle has been sore (not swolen or really painful) for about 6 weeks at least. I start off running and its kind of sore...not really sore but I can feel it. Then after a few miles it doesnt feel sore and then it starts again kind of on and off. When I walk barefoot say around the apartment its like my foot is naturally going to one side so I dont put my full weight on it.
    I did go to physio about it 3 weeks ago and he said it was tension from my calf but he didnt relieve it.
    I'm not sure what to make of it, another running guy reckons its an overuse injury but if it is then theres not a whole lot i can do with it. I did try resting it for a few days and it didnt make a difference.
    Anyone any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Niggle city here too - have taken to hitting the foam roller at least once a day since my 19m on Saturday to try relieve the pains in my quads, ITB's, calves and everywhere in the neighbourhood. Rolled before my 8m tonight and when I got back, then jumped in a hot epsom salts bath. Feeling better for it now but I'm very aware that I'm going to need to keep it up for the next 5 weeks if I'm to avoid pain. Very strongly thinking of getting a Stick too, thinking it might be more effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Did 8 miles tonight, haven't ran since the half. New runners and compression sleeves. Shin had been sore but felt good today. But it was tender most of the run, stopped to walk few times. Other leg felt tight and tingly. Frustrating! But the last 3 miles felt best and doesn't feel too bad now. I want to do the 19 miles I misses last weekend! Maybe sat nice and slow.

menoscemo wrote: »
    rasher_m wrote: »

+1.
    I have had a peronial tendon Injury before and I thought I had a stress fracture (I had been out for a week with a very sore foot). My Physio ruled out a fracture in 2 minutes and had me back running pain free withing 2 days of my visit.
    A good physio should have been able to rule in/out a stress fracture on a single visit and it sounds like yours is fobbing you off. A good physio is worth their weight in gold as there are a lot of poor ones out there.

If you let us know where you live maybe someone can recommed some else to visit...
    Painful enough for A notable limp when walking . To be fair, he mentioned a stress fracture as an outside possibility, and it's my own natural paranoia ( and rapidly growing catastrophisation of every hurdle) that's allowing it into my head. He felt, based on the many contortions he did with my foot, that tendonitis was the diagnosis. I'm really happy with him, as he has gotten me back on the road in jig time with other more serious issues. So I'm following my orders and hoping for improvement over the next couple of days, so I can get back up to speed for my 20 miler and the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭Trampas

And at one point, a yappy dog barked at my feet as I ran past. Little fecker.

He was saying HTFU

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Hey, I would say that is a good call too. Start with a 5 and build up over the next week to your 20-miler all being well. Missing a 14mile run at this stage won't hurt you, but you don't want to aggravate it by jumping straight back in to high mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Niggle city here too - have taken to hitting the foam roller at least once a day since my 19m on Saturday to try relieve the pains in my quads, ITB's, calves and everywhere in the neighbourhood. Rolled before my 8m tonight and when I got back, then jumped in a hot epsom salts bath. Feeling better for it now but I'm very aware that I'm going to need to keep it up for the next 5 weeks if I'm to avoid pain. Very strongly thinking of getting a Stick too, thinking it might be more effective?

Haha my wife thinks I am a lunatic at this stage. Using the stick on my calves every night and iceing my dodgy leg. Find the stick really good I have to say. Haven't gone down the foam roller route yet but I know its only a matter of time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

So did my midweek 9 mile this evening. I'd love to say it went great, but it really didn't. Just tired and sore I suppose. Probably due to the 20m at the weekend, and then the 5m yesterday. First time running in the dark and cold since last winter. It was a bit miserable all round.

Also - I know I'm supposed to be going slow, but I felt like I was the slowest man alive tonight.. And at one point, a yappy dog barked at my feet as I ran past. Little fecker.

Couldn't wait to finish up and get home for a hot shower.

I had the same feeling, ran slowly but felt like I was running faster, the good news was that was the last of my midweek longish runs. Longest midweek run will now be 5 next week. Apart from the reduced effort the other plus is my wife will get to see more of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Can anyone explain why the mileage in the Novice 2 plan is much less than the mileage in the Novice 1 over the next five weeks?

For example, this week on Novice 1 is 5,9,5,14 on Novice 2 it’s 5,8,5,12.

Next week is 5,10,5,20 on Novice 1 and 5,5,5,20 on Novice 2.

It continues to go like that for the rest of the programme.

I just find it a bit strange when the Novice 2 has had higher mileage up to now. I have been following Novice 2 up to this stage, but am thinking of following Novice 1 for the remainder of the programme to get the extra mileage.

Any ideas why the mileage drops on Novice 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

ncmc wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why the mileage in the Novice 2 plan is much less than the mileage in the Novice 1 over the next five weeks?

For example, this week on Novice 1 is 5,9,5,14 on Novice 2 it’s 5,8,5,12.

Next week is 5,10,5,20 on Novice 1 and 5,5,5,20 on Novice 2.

It continues to go like that for the rest of the programme.

I just find it a bit strange when the Novice 2 has had higher mileage up to now. I have been following Novice 2 up to this stage, but am thinking of following Novice 1 for the remainder of the programme to get the extra mileage.

Any ideas why the mileage drops on Novice 2?

you've already done the hard work so there is more of a taper. Resting is just as important as miles ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

00sully wrote: »
    you've already done the hard work so there is more of a taper. Resting is just as important as miles ;)
    But why do we Novice 2'ers get the rest :D while the poor Novice 1'ers still have the midweek slog :confused:

Advertisement