Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

ncmc wrote: »
    But why do we Novice 2'ers get the rest :D while the poor Novice 1'ers still have the midweek slog :confused:
    TAPER MADNESS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

folan wrote: »
    TAPER MADNESS!
    Typical! I knew I'd be the first to get it! I'm like the soldier at the start of a war movie who shows the picture of his sweetheart :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Can anyone explain why the mileage in the Novice 2 plan is much less than the mileage in the Novice 1 over the next five weeks?

For example, this week on Novice 1 is 5,9,5,14 on Novice 2 it’s 5,8,5,12.

Next week is 5,10,5,20 on Novice 1 and 5,5,5,20 on Novice 2.

It continues to go like that for the rest of the programme.

I just find it a bit strange when the Novice 2 has had higher mileage up to now. I have been following Novice 2 up to this stage, but am thinking of following Novice 1 for the remainder of the programme to get the extra mileage.

Any ideas why the mileage drops on Novice 2?
    I think it's because the midweek runs in Novice 2 are pace runs

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Can anyone recommend (or PM of you'd prefer) a physio in the Ratoath/Dunshaughlin/Dunboyne area?

Well I'd go further if needs be.

Just for pre-marathon check and sports massage.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Can anyone explain why the mileage in the Novice 2 plan is much less than the mileage in the Novice 1 over the next five weeks?

I just find it a bit strange when the Novice 2 has had higher mileage up to now. I have been following Novice 2 up to this stage, but am thinking of following Novice 1 for the remainder of the programme to get the extra mileage.

Novice 2 have been doing Pace runs throughout the program. Stick with and trust your program. DONT CHANGE NOW AT THIS STAGE, enjoy the rest.
    More time to google Taper madness and log onto Boards;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Went out to do mid week longer run this morning @5:40 in great conditions fine and dry etc, should really have been easy Vs last two days in rain but it was a slog from beginning to end. I'm still surprised when it's tough even though I know there are better and worse for everyone, and they are all a part of the training experience! I think it must be tiredness overhang from last weekends 18m run. I'm glad this weekend LSR is stepback, hopefully that will be OK :-)

Younganne wrote: »
    Novice 2 have been doing Pace runs throughout the program. Stick with and trust your program. DONT CHANGE NOW AT THIS STAGE, enjoy the rest.
    Woohoo! No more long midweek runs after tonight :D Won't miss those bad boys, that's for sure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

ankle pain again here, swelling and pain since the last lsr. have missed my midweek runs this week so far, and i can feel the marathon out of reach for this year but i dont feel quite ready to say no yet! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Woohoo! No more long midweek runs after tonight :D Won't miss those bad boys, that's for sure ;)
    and only only a couple of weeks of my runs taking up my full lunch hour too!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

I've been doing Novice 2 distances, but I only have one speed (slooooow), so I'm at much the same pace all week, & a tiny bit slower at the weekend. Should I still stick with hhn2 runs? Try to increase my pace on Wednesdays? Just keep going slow every day???

Yesterday's 8 m was the crappiest run in ages. Had to stop every half mile & stretch, which didn't seem to make much difference. Ran to 4.3m & decided to pack it in & walk home. After 1m walking, I'd passed so many other runners & was feeling a bit better, so started running very slowly again.

I'm wondering if anyone else has sore feet, kind of around the bit below the toes? Where the toes join the foot, but the under side. (is it obvious I'm not a medical professional?) Thought it might have been from wearing crappy shoes (like converse & slip on flat shoes) but maybe it's a running injury? This could be the foot issue everyone's been discussing a bit more scientifically over the last few pages...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭Trampas

Anyone else like me worried about getting an injury now even though I am healthy at the moment (touch forest never mind a piece of wood.)

I feel if I get one now it could be the end of my race.

Trampas wrote: »
    Anyone else like me worried about getting an injury now even though I am healthy at the moment (touch forest never mind a piece of wood.)

Someone summed it up perfectly a few pages back when they said they felt like a cop in an American movie a few days before retirement! I am petrified of doing myself an injury and to make matters worse, this is corresponding with a particularly clumsy phase for me! I keep tripping up steps, misjudging footpaths, banging into inanimate objects etc… And that’s while walking, never mind running! :o I am considering staying at home and wrapping myself in bubble wrap for the next four weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Yeah actually since I'm been off for a month in July because of an achilles tendonitis I'm constantly scared of injury, so I start all my run very very slowly. Was supposed to play football tomorrow I prefer to skip it, injury now and all this training would have been done for nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

I feel Like i am getting a cold which is a little worrying.

On a seperate matter I was looking at people's time on previous DCM's. I've noticed a few times how people's time really get slower as they get to the 30K mark (might be expected) in the marathon. As an example here is Ray D'arcy's (today FM DJ)2009 marathon result.

Ray D'Arcy
    10K 00:51:25
    Half 01:47:55
    30K 02:38:55
    Chip time 04:02:33

Rays half time would have indicated that he should have easily finished within 4 hours but he missed that time by 2 minutes

Another example is Declan Murray in the same marathon

10K 01:01:08
    half 02:02:47
    30K 02:53:24
    Chip time 03:58:44

Declan 10K, half and 30K times were all much slower than Rays but Declan finished 00:3:49 quicker than Ray.

Obviously I don't know what really happened on the day or what each persons target were but it does make me think about pacing and how even pacing by Declan may well yield better results than going out fast and trying to hang on. Declan did his last 12K in 01:05:20 while Ray's final 12K was done in 01:23:38

Anyway thought it was interesting and could show the value of following the pacers.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

LarMan wrote: »

On a seperate matter I was looking at people's time on previous DCM's. I've noticed a few times how people's time really get slower as they get to the 30K mark (might be expected) in the marathon. As an example here is Ray D'arcy's (today FM DJ)2009 marathon result.

Ray D'Arcy
    10K 00:51:25
    Half 01:47:55
    30K 02:38:55
    Chip time 04:02:33

Rays half time would have indicated that he should have easily finished within 4 hours but he missed that time by 2 minutes

Another example is Declan Murray in the same marathon

10K 01:01:08
    half 02:02:47
    30K 02:53:24
    Chip time 03:58:44

Declan 10K, half and 30K times were all much slower than Rays but Declan finished 00:3:49 quicker than Ray.

Obviously I don't know what really happened on the day or what each persons target were but it does make me think about pacing and how even pacing by Declan may well yield better results than going out fast and trying to hang on. Declan did his last 12K in 01:05:20 while Ray's final 12K was done in 01:23:38

Anyway thought it was interesting and could show the value of following the pacers.

Ray's times suggest either he went too quick and paid the price or something else happend over the last 10-12k.

Declan absolutely gunned it home for the last 10k. He must have been flying at this stage. Would love to be doing it like that. Maybe he shouldn't have been as conservative in the first 10k? The last 10k is meant to be quite flat so if you have the energy you can make up time.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Someone summed it up perfectly a few pages back when they said they felt like a cop in an American movie a few days before retirement! I am petrified of doing myself an injury and to make matters worse, this is corresponding with a particularly clumsy phase for me! I keep tripping up steps, misjudging footpaths, banging into inanimate objects etc… And that’s while walking, never mind running! :o I am considering staying at home and wrapping myself in bubble wrap for the next four weeks :D
    lmguillou wrote: »
    Yeah actually since I'm been off for a month in July because of an achilles tendonitis I'm constantly scared of injury, so I start all my run very very slowly. Was supposed to play football tomorrow I prefer to skip it, injury now and all this training would have been done for nothing!
    LarMan wrote: »

I hope i am not breaking the charter rules on medical advice but I do believe the above to be signs of the onset of Taper Madness? If so could those infected already please leave the thread. Apparently it is highly contagious:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

miguelk wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend (or PM of you'd prefer) a physio in the Ratoath/Dunshaughlin/Dunboyne area?

Well I'd go further if needs be.

Just for pre-marathon check and sports massage.

Thanks.
    Ger Keenan in dunshaughlin is very good

dazza21ie wrote: »
    I hope i am not breaking the charter rules on medical advice but I do believe the above to be signs of the onset of Taper Madness? If so could those infected already please leave the thread. Apparently it is highly contagious:P
    Haha :D

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Niggle city here too - have taken to hitting the foam roller at least once a day since my 19m on Saturday to try relieve the pains in my quads, ITB's, calves and everywhere in the neighbourhood. Rolled before my 8m tonight and when I got back, then jumped in a hot epsom salts bath. Feeling better for it now but I'm very aware that I'm going to need to keep it up for the next 5 weeks if I'm to avoid pain. Very strongly thinking of getting a Stick too, thinking it might be more effective?
    Dilbert I got the Stick 2 days ago and already I love it. I feel my muscles are way more relaxed since I started using it. Would definitely recommend it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Well finally did the deed and signed up, I've not done for fear of injury, I had a bad bout of tendonititis in my knee earlier in the training and wanted to make sure that was clear. Like the above posters I'm now terrified of injury. Not 100% health wise at the moment, had tummy bug early last week, cleared enough to do LSR, day after LSR got a stinking cold, aches shivers etc. Misses medium run last week but ran Rathfarnham 5k with a cold, not good. I have asthma and once i get a cold i get a cough which will go on for weeks. Went out Tuesday for club session did three miles before it to bump up mileage, managed one mile with the club in the lashing rain and left and went home. Just felt lightheaded, faint etc so called it a day. Did 6 miles yesterday in monsoon rain, really soaked. Now am starting to feel achy/Shivery again. If any of you posted this I'd say take to your bed till you're better but I feel I've missed too many runs to take a break. Should have club session tonight will have to play that by ear, the LSR at the weekend is probably more important. Bloody illnesses, just want to keep it together for the few weeks we have left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    If any of you posted this I'd say take to your bed till you're better but I feel I've missed too many runs to take a break.

TAKE TO YOUR BED! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Missing tonight's run won't make any difference. Missing a week because you've made yourself sicker is just crazy. You've done the training. You're in great shape for the marathon. Stop worrying, take a rest, and come back stronger when you're better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

see i don't have to do the giving out all the time, Ray does it too;);)

but i agree with him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

As someone that has had a few in the past few years I'm terrified - even on the runs I'm looking everywhere in case I get hit by a car or someone on a bike - the mind is working overtime at being extra carefull at the moment:eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

see i don't have to do the giving out all the time, Ray does it too;);)

but i agree with him!!

Ok I give in, to bed with a hot water bottle when I get home, hopefully will shake it off, if not I'll hit the doctors

Well finally did the deed and signed up, .

Well done deedee2012;)

Ok I give in, to bed with a hot water bottle when I get home, hopefully will shake it off, if not I'll hit the doctors

thats a bit extreme:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Ah yes, I've never felt fitter in my life tbh, bar one little niggle on the top of my left foot. Feels like my laces are constantly too tight. It's been an annoyance on the last few runs that I've done over the last 10 days or so.

Anyways, got ready for my 18km run this morning, and again, my foot just didn't feel right. Decided that this close to the marathon I really didn't want to take the chance of getting a serious injury, so, out of my gear and straight down to the physio instead.

Diagnosis ? Suspected metatarsal stress fracture :(

MRI booked for Saturday, and it's a matter of wait and see, but definitely zero running until we get the answer, and it's more a thing of looking for confirmation, than sinply wondering what is wrong.

I'm absolutely devastated tbh. My 22 miler on Monday could not have been any better. Felt really strong throughout, and I know that 42kms is within my grasp.

I'm allowed to cycle and swim in the meantime, but aerobic fitness has never been my problem. Leg strength has always let me down. Maybe just plenty of cycling and hope for the best :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

jprender wrote: »
    Diagnosis ? Suspected metatarsal stress fracture :(

MRI booked for Saturday, and it's a matter of wait and see

Devastated to hear that jprender, here's hopnig for good news saturday. Keep positive!

blockic wrote: »
    Devastated to hear that jprender, here's hopnig for good news saturday. Keep positive!

X2

But look at it this way, if you ran 22 miles on Monday it cant be too bad.Stay positive!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Mixed news from the physio.

The fact that I can pinpoint an exact spot where the pain is eminating from leaves a huge concern that it is a stress fracture. This is :(

However one of the tests of a stree fracture (beating the heel) had no increase in pain which is a good sign. I have a very tight calf muscle and very little sideways movement in my ankles which has caused the pain in the front of the shin.

I got the bollix beat out of the calf muscle (my term not the official one !) am taped up with the maagic tape, have been thoroughly scolded for my piss poor stretching routines, educated as to how to do them in future, given a range of excercises to do to help movement and will be trying a few easy runs over the weekend with a review on Tuesday.

If there is no improvement by Tuesday it's to the hospital for an X-Ray. Fingers crossed though that there will be !

Advertisement