Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

docrock wrote: »
    X2

But look at it this way, if you ran 22 miles on Monday it cant be too bad.Stay positive!!!

It was fairly painful for the first 10 miles or so, then it just went numb which was great. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

jprender wrote: »
    Ah yes, I've never felt fitter in my life tbh, bar one little niggle on the top of my left foot. Feels like my laces are constantly too tight. It's been an annoyance on the last few runs that I've done over the last 10 days or so.

Anyways, got ready for my 18km run this morning, and again, my foot just didn't feel right. Decided that this close to the marathon I really didn't want to take the chance of getting a serious injury, so, out of my gear and straight down to the physio instead.

Diagnosis ? Suspected metatarsal stress fracture :(

MRI booked for Saturday, and it's a matter of wait and see, but definitely zero running until we get the answer, and it's more a thing of looking for confirmation, than sinply wondering what is wrong.

I'm absolutely devastated tbh. My 22 miler on Monday could not have been any better. Felt really strong throughout, and I know that 42kms is within my grasp.

I'm allowed to cycle and swim in the meantime, but aerobic fitness has never been my problem. Leg strength has always let me down. Maybe just plenty of cycling and hope for the best :(
    Sending healing thoughts your way jprender. Look at it this way, even if you were told at this stage to rest for a couple of weeks, you won't lose that level of fitness, you have already done 22 miles, so the hard work is done. Keep up the cycling and hope for the best... that 42K is still well within grasp!

Mixed news from the physio.

The fact that I can pinpoint an exact spot where the pain is eminating from leaves a huge concern that it is a stress fracture. This is :(

However one of the tests of a stree fracture (beating the heel) had no increase in pain which is a good sign. I have a very tight calf muscle and very little sideways movement in my ankles which has caused the pain in the front of the shin.

I got the bollix beat out of the calf muscle (my term not the official one !) am taped up with the maagic tape, have been thoroughly scolded for my piss poor stretching routines, educated as to how to do them in future, given a range of excercises to do to help movement and will be trying a few easy runs over the weekend with a review on Tuesday.

If there is no improvement by Tuesday it's to the hospital for an X-Ray. Fingers crossed though that there will be !
    Also sending healing thoughts your way PM! As a fellow non stretcher, your tale has been a cautionary one. I think I have just been very lucky so far. Fingers crossed for your runs over the weekend.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Ah yes, I've never felt fitter in my life tbh, bar one little niggle on the top of my left foot. Feels like my laces are constantly too tight. It's been an annoyance on the last few runs that I've done over the last 10 days or so.

Anyways, got ready for my 18km run this morning, and again, my foot just didn't feel right. Decided that this close to the marathon I really didn't want to take the chance of getting a serious injury, so, out of my gear and straight down to the physio instead.

MRI booked for Saturday, and it's a matter of wait and see, but definitely zero running until we get the answer, and it's more a thing of looking for confirmation, than sinply wondering what is wrong.

I'm absolutely devastated tbh. My 22 miler on Monday could not have been any better. Felt really strong throughout, and I know that 42kms is within my grasp.

I'm allowed to cycle and swim in the meantime, but aerobic fitness has never been my problem. Leg strength has always let me down. Maybe just plenty of cycling and hope for the best :(
    Mixed news from the physio.

The fact that I can pinpoint an exact spot where the pain is eminating from leaves a huge concern that it is a stress fracture. This is :(

However one of the tests of a stree fracture (beating the heel) had no increase in pain which is a good sign. I have a very tight calf muscle and very little sideways movement in my ankles which has caused the pain in the front of the shin.

I got the bollix beat out of the calf muscle (my term not the official one !) am taped up with the maagic tape, have been thoroughly scolded for my piss poor stretching routines, educated as to how to do them in future, given a range of excercises to do to help movement and will be trying a few easy runs over the weekend with a review on Tuesday.

If there is no improvement by Tuesday it's to the hospital for an X-Ray. Fingers crossed though that there will be !

Heres hoping that for both of you it not stress fractures and just a bit of rest and exercises will see you sorted. There are still 4 & 1/2 weeks to get yourselves recovered. just make sure you follow all the doctors/physios advice and you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

@ pageant messiah & jprender, fingers crossed for you both that it's not stress fractures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Went the Physio today at lunch as i have been feeling a pain at the side of my knee now even after stretching. He said it was just the IBT nothing to worry about and that the marathon was still on but with a lot more stretching involved. He then killed me when he was working on my leg.

I was in agony and i could see he was enjoying me suffering. This marathon had better be worth all this hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

LarMan wrote: »
    Another example is Declan Murray in the same marathon

10K 01:01:08
    half 02:02:47
    30K 02:53:24
    Chip time 03:58:44

Declan 10K, half and 30K times were all much slower than Rays but Declan finished 00:3:49 quicker than Ray.

Obviously I don't know what really happened on the day or what each persons target were but it does make me think about pacing and how even pacing by Declan may well yield better results than going out fast and trying to hang on. Declan did his last 12K in 01:05:20 while Ray's final 12K was done in 01:23:38

Anyway thought it was interesting and could show the value of following the pacers.

When the 10k, HM and 30k Times show up on the DCM website they are gun times rather than chip times. I'd Imagine that Declan (in chip terms) actually went through 10k in 57:xx, Halfway in 1:59:xx and 30k in 2:50:xx. That would suggest he followed the 4hr pacers all the way round and sped up to take another minute off his time over the last 10k.

The above really shows the value of pacing yourself well especially at the start of the marathon.

Just checking the results I see Declan did in fact finish with a gun time of 4:02:xx so effectively he took 4 minutes to cross the start line and paced the race itself perfectly evenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

good luck pageant messiah & jprender, fingers crossed for good news

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

ellie_sun wrote: »
    good luck pageant messiah & jprender, fingers crossed for good news

+1 to all of you, sending healing thoughts your way.
    I am still recovering from an Achilles' tendon injury picked up last week, but my Physio is allowing me to run 5 m on Sat on a flat course, so my fingers are crossed too that I make it with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Holy Sh1t guys (jp/pm) that sucks. Really sorry to hear that! I hope you get better news after the scan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Wow! Loads of similar injuries this week. I guess this is a feature of the mileage. Candles lit for everyone including myself. Surely we'll be grand by 4 weeks time, even if we are marginally slower on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭Trampas

Took out my marathon runners for the 1st time on my 5 miler after a few days walking around house at the odd time outside.

I was like mo farah as I bounced along. I couldn't so down. I was like i should have kept them till the day the way i flying along but i guess it was the newness that did it.

Thinking of everyone who has an injury as i be surprised if half of us haven't got aches and pains somewhere. even though i haven't an injury my knees do be tired after runs but nothing to bad.

Apart from 12 miles on Saturday I will be resting for the weekend. Ryder Cup is on so will be feet up.

As someone said it to me today you have only 1 week left of training as miles start to drop off.

If people are icing it is only 10-15 mins of ice. no need for longer or hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

stevekavo wrote: »
    Went the Physio today at lunch as i have been feeling a pain at the side of my knee now even after stretching. He said it was just the IBT nothing to worry about and that the marathon was still on but with a lot more stretching involved. He then killed me when he was working on my leg.

I was in agony and i could see he was enjoying me suffering. This marathon had better be worth all this hassle.

He sounds like a good physio, you dont want someone to go easy just because it may hurt. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

stevekavo wrote: »

I know exactly how you felt through physio as I was tortured on Monday. I have a nice purple bruise along the outside of my thigh where he really dug in. I really think he was enjoying my high pitched screams!!

On a happier note I managed 4 miles this eve.. I ran very gingerly.. Just in case! This was major considering the pain I was in on my 19 mile on sat.

I have been stretching 3 times a day and using the foam roller every eve. I refuse to throw the towel in at this stage!

Hang in there, the finish line is in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

First time to check this thread in a couple of weeks, not the news you want to read. Hope it works out JP. 4 or 5 weeks out would be a ****ing killer.

Myself? Amazing how quickly you lose 'fitness'. I'm not into cycling or keeping fit in general so i've basically been incapacitated for 7 weeks now (ITBS). Walking up the stairs now gets me out of breath.;)

Attrition is a heartless bitch so best of luck to the people still standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

JP & PM, really hope your injuries can be overcome. There's still 4 weeks to go & you've all the work put in. I'll be way down the back myself so if you're well enough to start, we can finish together.

Reading about all the injuries this week has me paranoid about every twinge. Going to the physio this morning to get my sore feet checked out (some of my symptoms resemble others mentioned in here), as well as a few other spots that give occasional trouble. Hoping her magic hands will rub out all the aches & generally reassure me that my legs can take the next month of training!

JP & PM, really hope your injuries can be overcome. There's still 4 weeks to go & you've all the work put in. I'll be way down the back myself so if you're well enough to start, we can finish together.

Reading about all the injuries this week has me paranoid about every twinge. Going to the physio this morning to get my sore feet checked out (some of my symptoms resemble others mentioned in here), as well as a few other spots that give occasional trouble. Hoping her magic hands will rub out all the aches & generally reassure me that my legs can take the next month of training!
    I’m the same Shortie_chik, I am so paranoid reading about all the injuries. My hips and knees have been a bit sore since the 19 miles, I think it may be my itbs from reading other peoples symptoms. It isn’t really bad, but I am struggling a bit to use the roller in that area, so am going to go to the physio next week. I’m hoping that if he loosens it up for me, I’ll be able to roll it myself. I think everyone is right to be cautious at this stage and get any niggles checked out. At least it’s early enough to get niggles sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SlowSprint

YoungAnne,

thanks for all the advice here. I was a novice last year and still consider myself a novice this year - hoping to make a 4 hour marathon next month.
    My training has been erratic, I have done as much as I could basically.
    I plan to follow the 4hour pacers as much as possible.

What time are you aiming for this year?

SS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

SlowSprint wrote: »
    YoungAnne,

thanks for all the advice here. I was a novice last year and still consider myself a novice this year - hoping to make a 4 hour marathon next month.
    My training has been erratic, I have done as much as I could basically.
    I plan to follow the 4hour pacers as much as possible.

What time are you aiming for this year?

SS.

I hope it all goes to plan for you. This is my 3rd marathon (3rd running, I walked Dublin in 2006) and this year i am aiming for sub 4, my training has been consistent since DCM last year so i'm hoping it will all come together on the day...(sometimes its hard to keep the positive thoughts i keep telling you all to have):o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

ankle pain again here, swelling and pain since the last lsr. have missed my midweek runs this week so far, and i can feel the marathon out of reach for this year but i dont feel quite ready to say no yet! :(

Sorry to hear that jinx. I'm slowly building up the miles again and wearing an ankle brace every day when not running. I'm delighted with the result, ankle has improved considerably since doing this. Is this something you could consider?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 bren69

Went to physio. Achilles tendon is slighly inflamed but got the go ahead to keep running. So finally took the plunge and signed up for DCM. Looking forward to gentle 12miler tomorrow. Hope other people's injuries can be managed and everyone else can stay injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Took the plunge myself this morning and signed up. Its a wired feeling. There's no backing out now.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Did my final 20mile today, time for tapering, dont feel as drained as I did the previous 2 times!! Time to put my feet up in front of the tele I think! Taped American Gangster so thats my treat now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Reminder to self... don't eat smoked salmon an hour before going for a run or your WILL feel sick the entire time... :eek:

Anyway, apparently Triathlon shop near Liffey Valley doing a talk this Sat all about nutrition, tapering, race day prep etc for marathon. Can't go myself ('afternoon tea' with the girls:p) but might be of interest to anyone free http://www.wheelworx.ie/runclinic

Sorry to hear of the injuries cropping up here for people.. fingers crossed for you all

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

RedRunner wrote: »
    Word of warning though...I have a 110 about 15 months now and wristband has cracked and broken . Finding it difficult to get replacement wristband at moment. Watch working perfectly but not much use to me if I can't wear it!

Resorting to glueing (superglue)it at moment but it doesn't seem to last long.

Hi RedRunner - do you think you were just unfortunate or is a flaw in the watch? Am getting sucked into the whole gadgets thing and really want a Garmin for race day so can see after how got on. Saw the 110 on Amazon so was gonna go for it but bit worried now...

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Dreadful news about your injuries guys - I really hope that you get good news after your scans/rest days. Fingers and toes crossed big time for you both.

Home from a "reassurance treatment" from my physio. No stress fractures or anything so serious, but I do have some non-imaginary metatarsal strain. She's given me some techniques to try to rub it out myself at home, & told me to keep rolling a tennis ball as often as I can under that point. Easier said than done on a tiled floor, it keeps escaping off out the side, but I reckon keeping it in place is a good workout for my inner thighs too ;)

Also I asked her about what causes my legs to feel like lead some days, just so rock hard in my calves that it's a major challenge to run even at the slowest speed. She said it's down to not enough carbs & hydration. She suggested to dissolve a gel into one of my water bottles (apparently one of her elite triathlon clients does this). Well hopefully this advice will be useful to any others suffering lead-legs like me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭Trampas

I believe closing date for entries is next monday at 5pm just in case you haven't entered yet

• Registered Users Posts: 39 morann

If you did the half marathon and don;t already know there are professional photos online that you can buy with certifcates of your time etc.

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/regist.py?uevent=Sports/CPUK/2011/Dublin%20Marathon&match=&lang=en_NZ

• Advertisement

morann wrote: »
    If you did the half marathon and don;t already know there are professional photos online that you can buy with certifcates of your time etc.

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/regist.py?uevent=Sports/CPUK/2011/Dublin%20Marathon&match=&lang=en_NZ

AAAAAAAAAGH! Why would I want to buy these photos! :eek::eek::eek: I refuse to believe that's me in the photos! I am an elite, streamlined athlete, not a sweaty red-faced slowcoach! :o

Advertisement