Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

FiiFii wrote: »
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Word of warning though...I have a 110 about 15 months now and wristband has cracked and broken . Finding it difficult to get replacement wristband at moment. Watch working perfectly but not much use to me if I can't wear it!

Resorting to glueing (superglue)it at moment but it doesn't seem to last long.

Hi RedRunner - do you think you were just unfortunate or is a flaw in the watch? Am getting sucked into the whole gadgets thing and really want a Garmin for race day so can see after how got on. Saw the 110 on Amazon so was gonna go for it but bit worried now...

Got a 110 a few months ago and absolutely love it!! I guess time will tell with the wristband but even if I get another year out of it I reckon it's well worth it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Home from a "reassurance treatment" from my physio. No stress fractures or anything so serious, but I do have some non-imaginary metatarsal strain. She's given me some techniques to try to rub it out myself at home, & told me to keep rolling a tennis ball as often as I can under that point. Easier said than done on a tiled floor, it keeps escaping off out the side, but I reckon keeping it in place is a good workout for my inner thighs too ;)

Also I asked her about what causes my legs to feel like lead some days, just so rock hard in my calves that it's a major challenge to run even at the slowest speed. She said it's down to not enough carbs & hydration. She suggested to dissolve a gel into one of my water bottles (apparently one of her elite triathlon clients does this). Well hopefully this advice will be useful to any others suffering lead-legs like me!

Loving that tip shortie, gel in the water bottle will be my next experiment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

AAAAAAAAAGH! Why would I want to buy these photos! :eek::eek::eek: I refuse to believe that's me in the photos! I am an elite, streamlined athlete, not a sweaty red-faced slowcoach! :o

Funny that- have exactly the same problem with my photos after any event. Must be the dodgy camera they are using :rolleyes: Must remember to cover my number a bit next time to save having to look at them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Runchick wrote: »
    Loving that tip shortie, gel in the water bottle will be my next experiment!

Yep I'm gonna try this for my "easy" 12m LSR tomorrow. Fingers crossed I can move my legs. Wednesday was miserable :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

doledude86 wrote: »
    Did my final 20mile today, time for tapering, dont feel as drained as I did the previous 2 times!! Time to put my feet up in front of the tele I think! Taped American Gangster so thats my treat now!!

How come you're tapering early? Is this not the stepback week...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Trampas wrote: »
    Took out my marathon runners for the 1st time on my 5 miler after a few days walking around house at the odd time outside.
    I was like mo farah as I bounced along. I couldn't so down. I was like i should have kept them till the day the way i flying along but i guess it was the newness that did it.

I got new Asics a few weeks ago and bounced along. I keep my older ones for the shorter mid-week runs and the new ones for the longer MW runs and the lsrs. The new runners are so comfortable but perhaps almost too much. I'm starting to wonder if they'll be too worn for the marathon, even though I know that's a bit daft.

This week has been a slog but so far have managed to do the runs even if I haven't been too enthused. On a brighter note, lots of people have sponsored me this week so that's encouraging me to keep going and to the lsr at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Runchick wrote: »
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Word of warning though...I have a 110 about 15 months now and wristband has cracked and broken . Finding it difficult to get replacement wristband at moment. Watch working perfectly but not much use to me if I can't wear it!

Resorting to glueing (superglue)it at moment but it doesn't seem to last long.

Hi RedRunner - do you think you were just unfortunate or is a flaw in the watch? Am getting sucked into the whole gadgets thing and really want a Garmin for race day so can see after how got on. Saw the 110 on Amazon so was gonna go for it but bit worried now...

Got a 110 a few months ago and absolutely love it!! I guess time will tell with the wristband but even if I get another year out of it I reckon it's well worth it:)

Have the gamin 110 but only since June, very happy with it so far, time will tell on the wristband.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

Mrs Noc wrote: »
    On a brighter note, lots of people have sponsored me this week so that's encouraging me to keep going and to the lsr at the weekend.

Myself and herself have raised over €500 so far for barretstown. €500 was our target. I think we will be closer to €1000 than €500 at the end.

amazing how generous people are

Just finished watching The Spirit of The Marathon on YouTube. So motivating & inspirational! I've never been so excited to see who would win a race that was held 5 years ago! (I didn't cheat & Google it! :rolleyes:) Had a crappy run on Wednesday & skipped Thursday because I was in pain, but now I'm really looking forward to getting out again tomorrow, hail rain or shine! :D

In episode 7, at about 3:45, you can see the stand for the Dublin race at the runners' expo! In episode 8, at about 4:05, the loooooong shot of the entire starting area for the Chicago 2007 marathon seems to go on forever. It looks epic! :eek:

Link to the first part here. It's in 10 x 10min segments.

WE ARE DOING THIS! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Mrs Noc wrote: »
    I got new Asics a few weeks ago and bounced along. I keep my older ones for the shorter mid-week runs and the new ones for the longer MW runs and the lsrs. The new runners are so comfortable but perhaps almost too much. I'm starting to wonder if they'll be too worn for the marathon, even though I know that's a bit daft.

This week has been a slog but so far have managed to do the runs even if I haven't been too enthused. On a brighter note, lots of people have sponsored me this week so that's encouraging me to keep going and to the lsr at the weekend.

Although some people say that new runners can be worn 'out of the box', the conventional wisdom is to put 100-150 miles onto them before the Marathon to ensure they are adequately broken in and match your foot contours. (or something like that..............:-) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

That answers my thoughts of getting a new pair before the big day - less than 150miles left including the marathon itself, so I won't have time to break in a new pair at this stage. I'm thinking of heading towards the more minimalist route after this is all done, so it'll be a good chance to give it a try.

BTW got my marathon stick today. I see pain in my near future.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Dilbert75 wrote: »

To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain, and play with it!
    Charlie Chaplin

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

morann wrote: »
    If you did the half marathon and don;t already know there are professional photos online that you can buy with certifcates of your time etc.

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/regist.py?uevent=Sports/CPUK/2011/Dublin%20Marathon&match=〈=en_NZ

AAAAAAAAAGH! Why would I want to buy these photos! :eek::eek::eek: I refuse to believe that's me in the photos! I am an elite, streamlined athlete, not a sweaty red-faced slowcoach! :o
    They got mine mixed up too. There is some old sweaty red faced woman in my photos instead of me. No idea who she is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Don't really know FiiFii ..I don't believe I have mistreated the watch in any way. It is a great watch apart from this problem I'm having now. It looks like you cant get a replacement wristband for this model but you can for other models of Garmin. That has me thinking if they leraned a lesson with the 110???

I'm paranoid now that it might fall off my wrist now half way thru marathon. Now where did I put that superglue...

Mrs Dilbert has a 110 too and one of the buttons has broken just outside warranty. Stg58 for a reconditioned unit. She's spoken to other people with the same model who've had the same problem. Seems like the 110 wasn't Garmin's finest hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Just entered...NO BACKING OUT NOW! (actually can't wait!:P)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Mrs Dilbert has a 110 too and one of the buttons has broken just outside warranty. Stg58 for a reconditioned unit. She's spoken to other people with the same model who've had the same problem. Seems like the 110 wasn't Garmin's finest hour.

Mmmm, might do a bit more research before making a decision then. Thanks

My no.1 recommendation would be to get something that has virtual partner on it. I've a 305 and I find it invaluable - set a time & distance, time & pace or distance & pace and it'll tell you how far ahead or behind of the intended pace you are at any one time (ask poor NCMC - she had to listen to my commentary on it for 2 miles in Clonmel - "we're now 835m ahead of 1:45", etc. :rolleyes:)

Although some people say that new runners can be worn 'out of the box', the conventional wisdom is to put 100-150 miles onto them before the Marathon to ensure they are adequately broken in and match your foot contours. (or something like that..............:-) )

Thanks RunningKing, that's reassuring.

Even though this has been a week with less mileage, I'm finding it hard to get other stuff done with the training commitments. I suppose there's only one more big week and then less hours spent running. So many on here say all the effort will be worth it on race day. Hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Heading out to try a 20m lsr! Missed last week. Shin was bad but miraculously feels game ball this morning, fingers crossed. Psychologically I just want it under the belt don't care if I've to cross train the next. 4 weeks

Mr Slow wrote: »
    It's like I'm afraid I'll get bored of running if I start too soon... :o

You won't, once you get into double digits and make the weekly targets 16,18,20 you'll be buzzing off of your success, I guarantee at the race series half, you'll be saying 'It's only 13 miles' ;)

Was looking back over the early pages if the thread & came across these words of encouragement from Mr Slow. You were right Mr S: when the half came around, I was saying it's _only_ 13m. Now I'm getting myself ready to go out for an "easy" 12m LSR. Never thought I'd see the day when these distances weren't a scary thought! :) Can really see how far I've come over the summer. Even if I'm not moving much faster, I really think I can do this now.

Thanks everyone on this thread for all the advice & keeping me motivated! I'm getting so excited about this & I'm dying to tell people (probably become a public running bore!) Maybe after the 20m next weekend...

I should use some of this excited energy to get a few miles done!

Mmmm, might do a bit more research before making a decision then. Thanks
    FiiFii, my OH ordered a Forerunner 410 from Amazon for €200. I think that's probably a decent price (mine was 220 on Irish Fit in 2010 & that was the best price I found at the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

My no.1 recommendation would be to get something that has virtual partner on it. I've a 305 and I find it invaluable - set a time & distance, time & pace or distance & pace and it'll tell you how far ahead or behind of the intended pace you are at any one time (ask poor NCMC - she had to listen to my commentary on it for 2 miles in Clonmel - "we're now 835m ahead of 1:45", etc. :rolleyes:)
    I agree with Dilbert, I have the forerunner 205 which is a pretty basic model, but I thought it was all I needed when I bought it back in February. I was very impressed with the bells and whistles (not literally bells and whistles, though that could be kinda cool!) on Dilberts watch at the Clonmel half and I regret not paying an extra few euro and getting a slightly more advanced model. For example, I would love a heart rate monitor now which I didn't think I would need 8 months ago. If I were buying again, I would pay a bit extra and get a few extra functions on it.

But don't get me wrong, my 205 has been great and served me very well. I couldn't imagine being without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Not a good few days in this camp:(:( The kids picked up some sort of a 24 hr vomiting & diarrhea bug last week. I got away with it until Thursday & then mount vesuvius erupted:eek:, I wont go into the details but I was in bed from 9 on Thursday until 2pm yesterday:eek: I took meds, plenty fluids etc & I dont feel too bad today even though I looked like someone that did a few rounds with Kenny Egan yesterday. I'm going to go for a 12k trot (pun intended ) shortly to see how I get on. I was supposed to do 12k on Thursday & 21k today but thats gone out the window even though I did cover a fair distance from the bed to the bathroom in the past 2 days:eek:. Missing runs at the moment is head wrecking but luckily enough this happened now rather than closer to the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

rasher_m wrote: »
    How come you're tapering early? Is this not the stepback week...

Hey Rasher, no it was but I had to switch my 20mile next week with my 12mile this week because im going to a wedding next friday and saturday and working every other day, the mid week mileage is the same just switched the LSR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

docrock wrote: »
    Not a good few days in this camp:(:( The kids picked up some sort of a 24 hr vomiting & diarrhea bug last week. I got away with it until Thursday & then mount vesuvius erupted:eek:, I wont go into the details but I was in bed from 9 on Thursday until 2pm yesterday:eek: I took meds, plenty fluids etc & I dont feel too bad today even though I looked like someone that did a few rounds with Kenny Egan yesterday. I'm going to go for a 12k trot (pun intended ) shortly to see how I get on. I was supposed to do 12k on Thursday & 21k today but thats gone out the window even though I did cover a fair distance from the bed to the bathroom in the past 2 days:eek:. Missing runs at the moment is head wrecking but luckily enough this happened now rather than closer to the event.
    Oh docroc, that sounds awful! I had a bit of a tummy bug myself last week but thankfully not as bad as what you're describing! Can I make a suggestion that you leave your run til tomorrow to give yourself an extra day to recover? I returned to running too quickly last week and had a horrible lsr that has really dented my confidence. I'd suggest you give yourself plenty of time to recouperate, it's only a step back week anyway, and hopefully you'll be rearing to go for the last long mileage week next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Up out and early this morning up here in Donegal, the song "the hills of Donegal" really came true this morning! 13.1 miles and I've never run up so many hills in my life :) great prep for 3/4 marathon in athlone next week. Bar nearly coughing up a lung half way through (this man flu is terrible!) the run was good, lovely morning for it.
    Only 1 more long run left!!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

zefer wrote: »
    Up out and early this morning up here in Donegal, the song "the hills of Donegal" really came true this morning! 13.1 miles and I've never run up so many hills in my life :) great prep for 3/4 marathon in athlone next week. Bar nearly coughing up a lung half way through (this man flu is terrible!) the run was good, lovely morning for it.
    Only 1 more long run left!!
    Hi just in from LSR in Donegal too, found it tough enuf today for some reason n calves stiff as anything now, all the hills up here I guess. The excitement of las weekend is wearing off now, think the build up n the winning got us through las couple weeks , so tired today, aw well only 1 long run left! Whoohoo!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

That answers my thoughts of getting a new pair before the big day - less than 150miles left including the marathon itself, so I won't have time to break in a new pair at this stage. I'm thinking of heading towards the more minimalist route after this is all done, so it'll be a good chance to give it a try.

Dilbert75, Its not too late to break in a new pair of runners, better to have a new pair than a pair that are at the end of their running life.

I started a new pair yesterday and plan on using them from now on. I also got my " Stick" yesterday and the lads in Amphiban King only had one left. They said there has been lots sold in the last few weeks and they also mentioned lots of the Gu mint Choc gels too, as i was also buying a few of them to try out. They are aware that Boards is their best advertising tool!!!;)

Stick & Foam roller, lots of fun pain in the Younganne household last night!!:o

Advertisement