Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Younganne wrote: »
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    That answers my thoughts of getting a new pair before the big day - less than 150miles left including the marathon itself, so I won't have time to break in a new pair at this stage. I'm thinking of heading towards the more minimalist route after this is all done, so it'll be a good chance to give it a try.

BTW got my marathon stick today. I see pain in my near future.:eek:

Dilbert75, Its not too late to break in a new pair of runners, better to have a new pair than a pair that are at the end of their running life.

I started a new pair yesterday and plan on using them from now on. I also got my " Stick" yesterday and the lads in Amphiban King only had one left. They said there has been lots sold in the last few weeks and they also mentioned lots of the Gu mint Choc gels too, as i was also buying a few of them to try out. They are aware that Boards is their best advertising tool!!!;)

Stick & Foam roller, lots of fun pain in the Younganne household last night!!:o
    I stocked up on the gu mint choc gels earlier in the week & the guy in there commented to me too that the boxes are flying out the door! Maybe I should have asked for the boards buddies discount :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

I stocked up on the gu mint choc gels earlier in the week & the guy in there commented to me too that the boxes are flying out the door! Maybe I should have asked for the boards buddies discount :)

Always discredited the Gu Mint choc flavour, without trying them, but by Christ, they are good.
    You'd nearly have one with a cup of tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

Ran just over 30km this morning in just over 3 hours (3.14) and am fairly wiped afetr it and legs are sore but it is great to have that amount done. Took a gel after 22km. Not sure i feel any immediate benefit from them but maybe there is some sort of psychosomatic effect that keeps me going. Going to run the galway half next week and am looking forward to that as a shortish run! Never thought I would be writing that! Soles of my feet are sore and i need to get on the roller!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

FiiFii wrote: »
    Mmmm, might do a bit more research before making a decision then. Thanks

Thanks for all the advise - I think i'm going to go with the Forerunner 10 - anyone else have one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed my 14miles this morning, but sod it, it's done. Just the next week to get through and then it's Taper Time :D

Felt like a bit of an endurance test today, and I got hungry after mile 11, which is interesting, 'cos I've upped my breakfast intake. I'll just have to eat more I guess!

The last few miles of my run brought me down the North Circular towards the park - the same route as the marathon. Hopefully I won't be as wrecked next time I see that stretch of road!

Gonna go for a few pints tonight. The first pints I've had in weeks.

Anyone else losing weight? I didn't think I'd that much to lose, but I've gone up a belt hole for all of my jeans/trousers, and a slim fitting jacket I haven't worn in a while.. is not as slim fitting anymore :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed my 14miles this morning, but sod it, it's done. Just the next week to get through and then it's Taper Time :D

Felt like a bit of an endurance test today, and I got hungry after mile 11, which is interesting, 'cos I've upped my breakfast intake. I'll just have to eat more I guess!

The last few miles of my run brought me down the North Circular towards the park - the same route as the marathon. Hopefully I won't be as wrecked next time I see that stretch of road!

Anyone else losing weight? I didn't think I'd that much to lose, but I've gone up a belt hole for all of my jeans/trousers, and a slim fitting jacket I haven't worn in a while.. is not as slim fitting anymore :o

Yeah, I do be trying to eat so I keep over the 9 stone, I don't think I look healthy when I go under that weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

peggysue2 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advise - I think i'm going to go with the Forerunner 10 - anyone else have one of these?

I've been looking at this as well. Its basic but it looks like it gives all the info I need for running. I'm just really looking to know my pace and speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Tried a small 3k run this morning. Still painful :( not any sorer than last week which is good but the lack of improvement is a real worry. Also my legs in general were aching after 1km - probably due to the lack of running for 10 days.

Here's the thing - it's quite painful yes but it is runnable on with a large dose of our famous HTFU. I'm half thinking about running the marathon anyway even if I can't do the LSR's for the rest of the program and dealing with the consequences afterwards (am quite happy to get a cast on for a few weeks after the marathon if needed :pac:)

Of course I won't make such decisions until I've spoken with the physio / docs and see if it is indeed the dreaded stress fracture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Just to throw this out there, for those looking into getting a GPS watch..

I've been using the Nike Sportswatch since it was first released.

In my opinion, it's the mutt's nutts. Does everything I need it to, and more. It looks cool too, and I've yet to see someone else wearing one in Dublin, so still a bit exclusive!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Tried a small 3k run this morning. Still painful :( not any sorer than last week which is good but the lack of improvement is a real worry. Also my legs in general were aching after 1km - probably due to the lack of running for 10 days.

Here's the thing - it's quite painful yes but it is runnable on with a large dose of our famous HTFU. I'm half thinking about running the marathon anyway even if I can't do the LSR's for the rest of the program and dealing with the consequences afterwards (am quite happy to get a cast on for a few weeks after the marathon if needed :pac:)

Of course I won't make such decisions until I've spoken with the physio / docs and see if it is indeed the dreaded stress fracture.
    Hope all goes well with physio. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Completed my 20 miles today. Was the toughest run to date. Leg was sore but didn't get any worse as I went and its not bad now. Was my slowest run by far took 3:50, way off my intended marathon pace. Had a gel at 15m. Glad it's done. Am jaded but a night out ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Defo started losing weight about 6 weeks ago, lost a stone! But didn't think I had it to lose, but my gut was heavier than I thought. It's all good! Keeping it off after will be a challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

was out on my 12 mile lsr this morning in my marathon shoes. mostly on the dcm course from o'connell st to crumlin.

flew up the chapelizord hill even to fast up it but i was determine to get up it.

only had water and a few sips of powerade and felt fine after it.

I had 3 women a few hundred yards ahead of me from phoenix park to crumlin and they were going at a good pace. not sure if any of them are on here. would have left the park around 9.30.

plan next weekend is to do dcm lap with a few cutting corners in areas like phoenix park and town. i have it down to around 33kms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

sayno wrote: »
    Ran just over 30km this morning in just over 3 hours (3.14) and am fairly wiped afetr it and legs are sore but it is great to have that amount done. Took a gel after 22km. Not sure i feel any immediate benefit from them but maybe there is some sort of psychosomatic effect that keeps me going. Going to run the galway half next week and am looking forward to that as a shortish run! Never thought I would be writing that! Soles of my feet are sore and i need to get on the roller!

Gels take about 15mins to kick in. Really should be taking them every 5-6 miles, the trick is to take them before you need them.
    Regarding sore legs, I wear compression socks after a run( not during a run) - helps me recover a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. After two painful visits to the physio this week (ITB and wound up periformis)and no running apart from a handy 4 mile I headed out for 14 miles this morning. I was flying it until 11 mile and ITB started to niggle at knee and within 1/2 mile I was force to walk as the pain was so bad. I don't know what to do now. I spent all week stretching and rolling but still failed to make I around the 14 miles.

I am in a but of a dilemma now.. Should I rest up for the week and ate of he 20 at weekend or should I try and get through the 5.10.5 of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Went to amphibian king in ballymount and Kevin hooked me up with a pair of new balance . The video analysis of your stride is a real eye opener.

I was leaning a bit to the left which in turn aggravated my ibt as the Asics I had didn't have enough support. Well chuffed they really know there stuff there.

Now for the final few weeks until the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

darabbit wrote: »
    I am stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. After two painful visits to the physio this week (ITB and wound up periformis)and no running apart from a handy 4 mile I headed out for 14 miles this morning. I was flying it until 11 mile and ITB started to niggle at knee and within 1/2 mile I was force to walk as the pain was so bad. I don't know what to do now. I spent all week stretching and rolling but still failed to make I around the 14 miles.

I am in a but of a dilemma now.. Should I rest up for the week and ate of he 20 at weekend or should I try and get through the 5.10.5 of this week.

Bummer darabbit, these injuries really are soul destroying. Not sure what your best course of action is but what does your physio recommend? I am following my physio's guidance to the letter in terms of mileage and it seems to be keeping the injury under control. Maybe check in with them again before you decide? Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

OK so I was warned about the foam roller - but oh my god :eek: Doing a 13.1 mile run this morning was the easy bit, coming home and rolling my tight calf - jaysus. I actually screamed out loud and my kids were laughing at me :rolleyes: That thing should come with a warning ;) Please tell me it gets easier!!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Runchick wrote: »
    OK so I was warned about the foam roller - but oh my god :eek: Doing a 13.1 mile run this morning was the easy bit, coming home and rolling my tight calf - jaysus. I actually screamed out loud and my kids were laughing at me :rolleyes: That thing should come with a warning ;) Please tell me it gets easier!!

It gets easier (eventually!)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

One week on with this suspected peroneal tendonitis, and not seeing any improvements. Back to physio on Monday to see where we are, and whether its worse than expected . I am now thinking that I'm again unlikely to get to training next week, let alone the planned 20 miler next Saturday. Not sure what to do if I manage to get back on the road after next week. When/If I do return, I know I'll need to build back up from, say 5K as start to see if I can cope with the distance and check my recovery, but that will be three weeks left, no 20 miler done and I'm meant to be in the taper zone. Any thoughts? Can I treat this and last week as my taper?:rolleyes: . I'm really getting that sinking feeling now:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Don't panic yet. See what the Physio says but you may well be ok for the full - you might have to temper your expectations but you've the majority of the work done at this stage. You're not going to make your marathon by doing a 20m but you could break it. I know this from personal experience - I did Edinburgh in May after 10 weeks training (16 week plan with 6 weeks off due to injury). I didn't do it as well/quickly as I had hoped but I did it. That could be your story too. Chin up.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Don't panic yet. See what the Physio says but you may well be ok for the full - you might have to temper your expectations but you've the majority of the work done at this stage. You're not going to make your marathon by doing a 20m but you could break it. I know this from personal experience - I did Edinburgh in May after 10 weeks training (16 week plan with 6 weeks off due to injury). I didn't do it as well/quickly as I had hoped but I did it. That could be your story too. Chin up.
    Txs Dilbert. Good to see it's do-able. I've definitely abandoned my sub 4 hr plan. Starting and Finishing are the goals now.

Did my 12m yesterday morning with a gel in my water, as suggested by my physio. It was just an isogel, so not that much extra "ooomph", but I do think it helped a little the whole way round. I'd brought another gel to practise taking, but didn't feel I needed it at all & just brought it home in the end.

Every time I do a LSR I find a new patch that chafes! This week's discovery was between my little toe & fourth toe on my left foot. I'll be head to toe in anti-chafe cream next weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Did my 12m yesterday morning with a gel in my water, as suggested by my physio. It was just an isogel, so not that much extra "ooomph", but I do think it helped a little the whole way round. I'd brought another gel to practise taking, but didn't feel I needed it at all & just brought it home in the end.

Every time I do a LSR I find a new patch that chafes! This week's discovery was between my little toe & fourth toe on my left foot. I'll be head to toe in anti-chafe cream next weekend!
    Any recommendations on anti-chafe cream?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Week 15 ready to go on the sheet.

I'm so jealous of all the mileage logged - injuries are so depressing ! :(

Anyway positives wise we're approaching 20,000 miles logged. This is the longest / hardest week. Nearly there folks :)

SnailsPace wrote: »

I'm using one from Base 2 Race, think it's called Something Riding Cream (can't rem the first word, I'll check when I get home.) It's a white tube with red stripe & red cap. The guy in b2r recommended that one over a deodorant-stick-type one, they only seemed to have two types. Was €14.50 for a tube & you don't need a huge amount. Seems to be doing the trick - for the areas I remember to treat!

Edit: think it's Century Riding Cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I'm using one from Base 2 Race, think it's called Something Riding Cream (can't rem the first word, I'll check when I get home.) It's a white tube with red stripe & red cap. The guy in b2r recommended that one over a deodorant-stick-type one, they only seemed to have two types. Was €14.50 for a tube & you don't need a huge amount. Seems to be doing the trick - for the areas I remember to treat!

I use this one as well, called Century Riding Cream (Sportique). Fantastic stuff. I used to end up walking like John Wayne after runs but since using this, I dont feel a thing. Only need a tiny amount also.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

SnailsPace wrote: »

I was recommended BodyGlide by all my marathon runner/triathlete friends. Its brilliant and not greasy at all. I used to wear underarmour under my shorts but don't need to with BodyGlide. Best invention ever for running!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Ran my 20 miles today in 2:53. Delighted with that as all I've done in September is 3 5 miles and 2 half marathons.

Was going to give up as didn't think I'd trained enough but think I'll enter after running that today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Week 15 - This is the big week
    Okay guys, this is the biggest weeks mileage on the plan, with the longest midweek run and the longest LSR, but its taper from after that and you'll be doing "only" 12 LSR next week;)

Very important to make sure your diet is good and clean this week with no rubbish, all good quality food this week. (i must heed my own advice:o) Practice a bit of Carbo loading and drink plenty of water on the day before your LSR. Don't drink too much on the morning as you'll need the loo just after you set of. Have breakfast and leave time for it to settle and try start you run at 9am, same as the marathon. Try and get good quality nights sleep for at least the 2 nights before the LSR.

This is the dress rehearsal for the big day so wear you planned marathon outfit, wear/carry your gels even if you are not going to use them, carry your water if that is what you are planning!

Mon | Tue| Wed| Thur | Fri| Sat | Sun| Total|
    Rest| 5m/8km | 10m/16km | 5m/8km |Rest |20m/32km| Cross|40m/64km|

and finally remember, keep the pace slow, this week is not the week for running too fast or racing your own clock!
    Remember nearly there, this will be a hard week and then next week it will start falling into place as your legs wills tarting getting a bit more rest.
    Stay positive and Enjoy

Advertisement