Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Younganne wrote: »
    Don't drink too much on the morning as you'll need the loo just after you set of. Have breakfast and leave time for it to settle and try start you run at 9am, same as the marathon.

Anyone drink coffee on the morning of the marathon?

I thought this would be a bad idea. However, this week two people who are experienced marathon runners recommended having a coffee with breakfast 2/3 hours before the marathon. I tried it before my lsr this morning and I ended up getting stomach pains during the run which has never happened to me before. Now, I am a bit nervous about a big presentation/meeting at work on Tuesday which could have affected me. Nevertheless, I'm thinking I'll give the coffee a miss in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I always have a cup of coffee and it helps to get the system moving in the morning, so have it well before you are due to go for the run. It will empty the bowels and then you don't have to worry about it on the run!!:D

But like everything else don't try something new on Marathon morning. IF you haven't done it before see how it works for you this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Hi, I'm working my way through the thread but at nearly 30 pages it'll take me a while! I've reached pg4 but thanks to everyone for sharing their experience to date.

I'm running DCM for the first time next month. I started exercise at the beginning of this year to lose some weight with DCM as the main goal.

Some of my times so far...
    Kildare 10k @54.10
    Docklands 8k @40.33
    Race series 5m @40.51
    Race series 10m @1.28.45
    Dublin Half Marathon @1.57.03

I'm following Hal Higdon Novice 2 generally, finding 4 runs a week difficult time wise, but always fit in the LSR at the weekend. Up to 19m now.

Doing Galway half next weekend, will do 20m during the week after that and will taper off from there.

On using the McMillan calculator, my 26.2 times are coming in at between 4.06 - 4.08 but I'd really like to see if I can do 4hrs. Am I mad to push for the fast time? Should I be happy to pace it easily for 4.15 thereabouts or should I go for the 4? Anyone (experienced or not!) willing to offer some advice?

I'm sorry, not nearly 30pages but 287! Bloody hell, I won't finish this thread before the race starts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Hi, I'm working my way through the thread but at nearly 30 pages it'll take me a while! I've reached pg4 but thanks to everyone for sharing their experience to date.

I'm running DCM for the first time next month. I started exercise at the beginning of this year to lose some weight with DCM as the main goal.

Kildare 10k @54.10
    Docklands 8k @40.33
    Race series 5m @40.51
    Race series 10m @1.28.45

I'm following Hal Higdon Novice 2 generally, finding 4 runs a week difficult time wise, but always fit in the LSR at the weekend. Up to 19m now.

Doing Galway half next weekend, will do 20m during the week after that and will taper off from there.

On using the McMillan calculator, my 26.2 times are coming in at between 4.06 - 4.08 but I'd really like to see if I can do 4hrs. Am I mad to push for the fast time? Should I be happy to pace it easily for 4.15 thereabouts or should I go for the 4? Anyone (experienced or not!) willing to offer some advice?

Hi & welcome!

As a 2nd time marathoner, my big mistake in my 1st marathon last year was being over confident and treating like it was the last race of my life. I blew up after 16 miles and limped home. the marathon beat me.
    My advice is to go With the 4:15 pacers and really enjoy the experience as much as possible. A 1st marathon is tough.
    Doing the marathon is a blessing that only 1% of the population do, so enjoy it, and come back next year and aim for the sub 4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Hi Killian. You have some good times in there. I think the general opinion is that Mcmillan is a bit optimistic for marathon times especially when it comes to novices. Larman posted this link a while back and I think its a bit more realistic

http://www.hillrunner.com/jim2/id208.html

I did the athlone half a few weeks ago (can hardly remember it now!) in 1.46.xx and I think I'll be pushing it to get under 4 hrs even though Mcmillan has me at 3.45 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Younganne wrote: »
    I always have a cup of coffee and it helps to get the system moving in the morning, so have it well before you are due to go for the run. It will empty the bowels and then you don't have to worry about it on the run!!:D But like everything else don't try something new on Marathon morning. IF you haven't done it before see how it works for you this week.

Thanks Younganne. This week I'll try having a coffee again. I'll have a cuppa before the 10mile and 20 mile runs and will leave a good bit of time before going on the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Welcome Killian. Out of curiosity, are you THE Killian Byrne (from OT)???

I did 2 sort of messy pace runs this week. Did 13 miles on wed because I didn't think I'd have time for it this weekend but I was in a bad mood and I just wanted to run fast so I did 11 miles at MP and 2 miles at HMP. Average pace was 9 min/ml though so was happy I hadn't done too much. Then today I was supposed to get up early and do 13 mile lsr but was tired so it didn't happen. Busy all day and was 6.45 when I headed out for my run. Didn't have a route planned and it was getting dark but ended up running 10 miles av 9.41m/m. I'm blaming the new garmin....its made me into some kind of wannabe runner :rolleyes:

I'm doing the 3/4 marathon in Athlone next sun so not sure what I should be running during the week. HHN2 is cross/5/5/5/rest/20/rest.I know this week is supposed to be the highest mileage week but the week before last I did 44m and I cant see me getting more than that done so I have myself all confused:confused::confused:

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Welcome Killian. Out of curiosity, are you THE Killian Byrne (from OT)???

Yep, it's just easier to register as me nowadays, saves explaining later on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Excellent, our very own celebrity! Congratulations on your journey to date, I was following you all the way. I'm guessing four weeks tomorrow will cap an amazing year for you - who'd have thought, and all that. Although it's so close, you'll find some great advice around here and great support too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I did 2 sort of messy pace runs this week. Did 13 miles on wed because I didn't think I'd have time for it this weekend but I was in a bad mood and I just wanted to run fast so I did 11 miles at MP and 2 miles at HMP. Average pace was 9 min/ml though so was happy I hadn't done too much. Then today I was supposed to get up early and do 13 mile lsr but was tired so it didn't happen. Busy all day and was 6.45 when I headed out for my run. Didn't have a route planned and it was getting dark but ended up running 10 miles av 9.41m/m. I'm blaming the new garmin....its made me into some kind of wannabe runner :rolleyes:

I'm doing the 3/4 marathon in Athlone next sun so not sure what I should be running during the week. HHN2 is cross/5/5/5/rest/20/rest.I know this week is supposed to be the highest mileage week but the week before last I did 44m and I cant see me getting more than that done so I have myself all confused:confused::confused:

Just keep bit of energy in the legs, Athlone 3/4 is fairly undulating. I'm orginally from the area and roads are up & down. If you see a sign post for Tang, thats where i'm from hence boards name.

tang1 wrote: »
    Just keep bit of energy in the legs, Athlone 3/4 is fairly undulating. I'm orginally from the area and roads are up & down. If you see a sign post for Tang, thats where i'm from hence boards name.
    Yay Tang's back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

A pretty bad week for me. After having to stop at 16 miles last week because of knee pain I went to the physio on Tuesday. Nothing too badly wrong and he gave me some excercises to do after an hour of pain and told me to take it easy this week till the weekend, which I duly did. Then I got the dreaded man flu on Friday. I thought I felt we'll enough to run today, but thanks to my wife's wisdom I didn't run. It's mad what goes through the mind though! I didn't run so I thought it was the end of the world, even though it was the best thing for me. I'm still not fully well so ill sit it out till Tuesday, even though every fibre of my being is telling me to do the long run tomorrow and just carry on.

Just putting it out there as a therapeutic rant!! I'll still see all you 4:30 people behind the balloon :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Welcome Killian, I remember you from OT and I remember thinking at the time that of all the people on it this year, you were the one who was taking to the diet and exercise like a duck to water, but to go from no running to a marathon in ten months is just incredible! Well done to you!

Career_move, I was the same this week, second guessing the drop in mileage on HH2 and questioning why HH1 still has the midweek longish run, I was even considering following HH1 for the remainder if the plan. But the consensus was to stick with the plan I've been following, we've already put the mileage in so we are getting a bit if an early taper. If I were you, I'd stick with the 5/5/5 this week and maybe do them all at easy pace rather than do one at pmp. That sounds like a tough race at the weekend and at this stage you don't want to knock your confidence by having a bad race.

I for one am delighted not to have the long midweek run any more! Was finding it increasingly difficult to motivate myself for it as the evenings are getting darker.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

So finally got this weeks 12 miler this evening... Messed around with the schedule for various reasons (yes I know not good..) and ended up doing runs Fri, Sat, Sun so stepped back slightly and just did 5k last night seen as wouldn't be having a rest day.

Seen as can't really decide what garmin to get yet (every 2nd review seems to conflict with the previous...) still relying on endomondo but its awkward to check phone while running. Decided to take it v easy and comfortable and when checked at the end found I'd actually done it at what will probably be my marathon pace (4.45 finish think gonna go for). Delighted as felt absolutely grand at the end and confidentish could keep it going for full marathon (although maybe not so good on the go slower and train my body to burn fat objective, oops). Looking forward to the 20 miler (though will make more of an effort with slowing up pace).

Had a gel, only cos it was dinner time as setting out and stomach grumbling.. one of the Accel one's had bought a while back. Grand but not the nicest, decided race day gels are gonna be high5 berry ones (seem to kick in well for me, think its the caffeine) and the Gu mint choc (just to cheer me up cos taste so yum :) ). Seem to have started a trend on these from reports here...

Oh, and after reading from others finally tried out the new foam roller that's been sitting in my bedroom for 3 weeks and god darn you guys are right about the pain.. absolutely fine everywhere except when I balance and roll on left outer leg (known problem area, havnt slept on my left in 3 months now..)..if wasn't for comments here be sure doing it wrong, just hoping the easing off doesn't take too long...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Kildare 10k @54.10
    Docklands 8k @40.33
    Race series 5m @40.51
    Race series 10m @1.28.45

Hi Killian, those times are almost identical to all my PBs this year. I'm doing my 2nd marathon this year and like RunningKing says, I'd recommend the 4:15 pacers too. That's where I'm headed at least despite having sub 4 ambitions earlier in year.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

docrock wrote: »
    Not a good few days in this camp:(:( The kids picked up some sort of a 24 hr vomiting & diarrhea bug last week. I got away with it until Thursday & then mount vesuvius erupted:eek:, I wont go into the details but I was in bed from 9 on Thursday until 2pm yesterday:eek: I took meds, plenty fluids etc & I dont feel too bad today even though I looked like someone that did a few rounds with Kenny Egan yesterday. I'm going to go for a 12k trot (pun intended ) shortly to see how I get on. I was supposed to do 12k on Thursday & 21k today but thats gone out the window even though I did cover a fair distance from the bed to the bathroom in the past 2 days:eek:. Missing runs at the moment is head wrecking but luckily enough this happened now rather than closer to the event.

Back on track, I think:rolleyes::rolleyes: After my problems on Thursday I decided to go out for 10k yesterday to see how I was feeling - knowing that once I started digging into the reserves I was going to hit empty fairly quickly.Anyway, took off at a nice easy pace & felt fairly ok after 9k so i said that I'd tag on another few as I was supposed to do 21k this weekend.Still felt fairly ok after 14k & should have probably headed for home but no, the HTFU tablets kicked in & I did another 3k loop to bring me back to the house.At that stage I was in the reserves & sweating buckets but I got away with it & I was happy enough that I got 17k as my LSR, which was 4k short but grand with the week that I had. Anyway I feel a lot better today so looking forward to this weeks training knowing that Saturdays LSR is the last one before D-Day - getting a small bit of itchy feet now that were into October - its not next month anymore:eek::eek:

BTW,that foam roller is still severe - not as bad as before but oh man its better than any strong coffee in the morning:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Just an option on the coffee thing. I went off coffee a while back because I am a heart rate nut :-)

Caffeine elevates the heart rate and I prefer to be operating at as low a heart rate as possible. It may just be my own personal view on it, but I'd avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭elPadrino

There was no use in trying to hold conversation with me over the weekend. Couldn't concentrate on what people were saying at all. My mind was elsewhere considering the pace that I should be running at in the Marathon.

Also dreamt about the race for the first time last night. I had covered the first 26 miles in a little under 3 hours (Im aiming for 3:45) before trying to take a shortcut (through a hotel!!!!) for the last couple of hundred metres. Needless to say, I never crossed the finishing line and woke up sweating. Think I need to see a professional :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Worst week so far for me!! felt some knee pain on Tuesday during my 5 miler. Rested in Wednesday and tried again on Thursday. 2 miles in I felt the pain again so called it quits.

Went to the physio on Friday evening. The Tracking in my patella is slightly off so The patellar tendon as a result is very tight. This is where the pain was.

As a result of the tightness (and some older injuries from years age) the ITB is very tight as well. was given the go ahead to run on Sunday after some rolling on Friday and Saturday. Got 11 miles done before my knee seized up and I had to call it quits.

So no midweek running for me and lots of rest, stretching and rolling before back to the physio on Wednesday for more punishment.

That said after 11 miles on Sunday (with the obvious exception of the knee) I felt like I'd only just started and easily cold have managed another 9 or so. I can feel the fitness is there its now just a matter of can my knee handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

elPadrino wrote: »
    There was no use in trying to hold conversation with me over the weekend. Couldn't concentrate on what people were saying at all. My mind was elsewhere considering the pace that I should be running at in the Marathon.

Also dreamt about the race for the first time last night. I had covered the first 26 miles in a little under 3 hours (Im aiming for 3:45) before trying to take a shortcut (through a hotel!!!!) for the last couple of hundred metres. Needless to say, I never crossed the finishing line and woke up sweating. Think I need to see a professional :)

I was dreaming about race day over the weekend too. I arrived with no safety pins for my number, couldn't find where to go for baggage area / toilets / starting pen... Think I should write my list of things to do / pack _now_ so I know it's all going to be in order!

Also thanks FiiFii for telling us about the Wheelworx talk on Saturday. If nothing else, I learned the marathon is on at NINE, not ten like I'd assumed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

16 miles LSR yesterday. Started off thinking it was not going to be a good run. Was tired after a family do on Sat, etc and the first few miles were tough, felt sluggish and niggly. But then really loosened up, 5-12 were great, 13-15 tough enough but a bit of HTFU and it was fine really. Took two gels at 8 and 12 cos I haven't taken may gels and wanted to try some new ones. Felt they really worked actually. Had only planned on 15 but my route left me just over half a mile from home , was gonna walk in but decided to keep going and tacked on a loop around a couple of football pitches close to home to hit 16.

Best part is that while my legs were (and still are) fairly achy after, the one part that seems absolutely fine is my dodgy calf :D:D

Feels great to finally get a full weeks running in - after nearly 3 weeks out I reckon DCM is back on for me now!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

I was dreaming about race day over the weekend too. I arrived with no safety pins for my number, couldn't find where to go for baggage area / toilets / starting pen... Think I should write my list of things to do / pack _now_ so I know it's all going to be in order!

Also thanks FiiFii for telling us about the Wheelworx talk on Saturday. If nothing else, I learned the marathon is on at NINE, not ten like I'd assumed!!!

Yep and remember the clocks go back that weekend as well, I'm sure someone forgets that every year! In fact if you don't put your clock back, it will still be a 10am marathon for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I have just booked in for a dry needleing session on my ITB. I have heard mixed reactions on it but I am desperate and will try anything at the moment.

Has anyone else tried this?

I hope to get a couple of shorter runs in this week and 20 at the weekend. Fingers crossed this will help along with the rolling, stretching etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Donal112 wrote: »

Yep and remember the clocks go back that weekend as well, I'm sure someone forgets that every year! In fact if you don't put your clock back, it will still be a 10am marathon for you :)

Adding "put clocks back" on my list! Think my phone does it automatically... Might have to get up an hour earlier than needed to be SURE I'm on time!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

GP appointment today to have a final assessment on the ankle. hopefully it will be good news for the marathon, but at this stage even if i have to walk the whole thing / crawl on my belly over the finish line i will be there. I am so nervous now that we're into october! feeling real now. really concentrating on nutrition,hydration, sleep, foam rolling and stretching for the next month.

I would possibly have given up weeks ago if it weren't for this thread! it really motivates you. thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

I see the Galway half is getting a few mentions. How many of us on here are doing it?
    Killian your times are almost identical to mine and I reckon I will be delighted if I keep up with the 4.15 pacers. I would be worried about going for the sub 4 an sut falling to pieces at around 20 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Kildare 10k @54.10
    Docklands 8k @40.33
    Race series 5m @40.51
    Race series 10m @1.28.45

Hi Killian, you're very welcome, Happy reading!!!;) you won't have time for running if you are going to try and read the whole log!!

As for going for the 4hrs, you would have a much more pleasant experience if you start off at the 4.15 pace and then push on from mile 20 if its all going to plan. Better than to go out with the 4hr and then hit "the wall" at 18 - 20m, with a horrible experience for the last 6-8 mile.
    Your times from previous racing is great to get you in very comfortably at about 4.10 - 4.15, but you could always push for 4 on the day if its all going to plan.

But really the first marathon is all about enjoying the experience and atmosphere and worry about time for the next one!!
    Enjoy the rest of your journey.:D

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    Welcome Killian, I remember you from OT and I remember thinking at the time that of all the people on it this year, you were the one who was taking to the diet and exercise like a duck to water, but to go from no running to a marathon in ten months is just incredible! Well done to you!

Career_move, I was the same this week, second guessing the drop in mileage on HH2 and questioning why HH1 still has the midweek longish run, I was even considering following HH1 for the remainder if the plan. But the consensus was to stick with the plan I've been following, we've already put the mileage in so we are getting a bit if an early taper. If I were you, I'd stick with the 5/5/5 this week and maybe do them all at easy pace rather than do one at pmp. That sounds like a tough race at the weekend and at this stage you don't want to knock your confidence by having a bad race.

I for one am delighted not to have the long midweek run any more! Was finding it increasingly difficult to motivate myself for it as the evenings are getting darker.
    Thanks ncmc i'll do that. Think I'll make them three easy runs just to be on the safe side! How are your blisters btw? my big toe is a mess even though I've had the compeed plasters on its taking an age to heal :(

Advertisement