Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Satanta wrote: »
    A pretty bad week for me. After having to stop at 16 miles last week because of knee pain I went to the physio on Tuesday. Nothing too badly wrong and he gave me some excercises to do after an hour of pain and told me to take it easy this week till the weekend, which I duly did. Then I got the dreaded man flu on Friday. I thought I felt we'll enough to run today, but thanks to my wife's wisdom I didn't run. It's mad what goes through the mind though! I didn't run so I thought it was the end of the world, even though it was the best thing for me. I'm still not fully well so ill sit it out till Tuesday, even though every fibre of my being is telling me to do the long run tomorrow and just carry on.

Just putting it out there as a therapeutic rant!! I'll still see all you 4:30 people behind the balloon :-)

4 weeks to go, don't do 2 LSRs in one week especially when one is 20m, just do the plan for this week, missing the one run will not affect you. And very sensible sitting out the flu till its gone, otherwise it could take weeks to shift if it gets into the chest and ends up in chest infection. see the women always know best;)
    Satanta wrote: »
    Just an option on the coffee thing. I went off coffee a while back because I am a heart rate nut :-)

Caffeine elevates the heart rate and I prefer to be operating at as low a heart rate as possible. It may just be my own personal view on it, but I'd avoid it.

Re the coffee thing, i think you need to be drinking very strong or big quantities of coffee for the HR to rise. Don't forget some gels have caffeine in them too as it can be benifical.
    When i say coffee i'm talking Maxwell house mild blend, coffee drinkers will say thats not coffee:rolleyes:
    elPadrino wrote: »
    There was no use in trying to hold conversation with me over the weekend. Couldn't concentrate on what people were saying at all. My mind was elsewhere considering the pace that I should be running at in the Marathon.

Also dreamt about the race for the first time last night. I had covered the first 26 miles in a little under 3 hours (Im aiming for 3:45) before trying to take a shortcut (through a hotel!!!!) for the last couple of hundred metres. Needless to say, I never crossed the finishing line and woke up sweating. Think I need to see a professional :)

No elPadrino, no need for Professionals, thats Taper madness, you're starting early...fun times ahead for you and your household;)
    Worst week so far for me!! felt some knee pain on Tuesday during my 5 miler. Rested in Wednesday and tried again on Thursday. 2 miles in I felt the pain again so called it quits.

Went to the physio on Friday evening. The Tracking in my patella is slightly off so The patellar tendon as a result is very tight. This is where the pain was.

As a result of the tightness (and some older injuries from years age) the ITB is very tight as well. was given the go ahead to run on Sunday after some rolling on Friday and Saturday. Got 11 miles done before my knee seized up and I had to call it quits.

So no midweek running for me and lots of rest, stretching and rolling before back to the physio on Wednesday for more punishment.

That said after 11 miles on Sunday (with the obvious exception of the knee) I felt like I'd only just started and easily cold have managed another 9 or so. I can feel the fitness is there its now just a matter of can my knee handle it.

Mind the knee, follow the Physios advice, which you are doing and you'll have no problems. Isn't it nice to know that the fitness levels are there.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Did 19k yesterday, and tried for the first time the gels, have to say, not great. I didn't have any when I did the marathon 3 years ago I had some energy bar instead and felt great all race long. Since everybody seem to be taking those gels I decided to try as it may be necessary ( may be somehow I was lucky 3 years ago). So I would like to try again for my 20 mile LSR this coming Sunday, could someone recommand any brand? how many would you use during marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I was dreaming about race day over the weekend too. I arrived with no safety pins for my number, couldn't find where to go for baggage area / toilets / starting pen... Think I should write my list of things to do / pack _now_ so I know it's all going to be in order!

Also thanks FiiFii for telling us about the Wheelworx talk on Saturday. If nothing else, I learned the marathon is on at NINE, not ten like I'd assumed!!!

thats a kinda important point shortie_chick Marathon starts at 9!!:D
    i reckon you will be well organised and no need to worry.
    In the next few weeks we'll be covering all thing to do befoe the day etc!!

i met a guy last year who had no safety pins, had him number in his hand, had never run further that 13.1 miles, had no gels and had no idea at what pace to run at. :eek: I gave him one of my pins and asked First aider for another and away we went. He ran half way with me, was struggling as he went out too fast for him so then dropped back and finished over an hr behind me.
    darabbit wrote: »
    I have just booked in for a dry needleing session on my ITB. I have heard mixed reactions on it but I am desperate and will try anything at the moment.

Has anyone else tried this?

I hope to get a couple of shorter runs in this week and 20 at the weekend. Fingers crossed this will help along with the rolling, stretching etc.
    I get dryneedling in my hip, IT band and calf. It is a great way to get to the problem but can be quite uncomfortable, but the recovery is much quicker that just getting rubs done. The IT is less server that the calf so you'll be fine.
    lmguillou wrote: »
    Did 19k yesterday, and tried for the first time the gels, have to say, not great. I didn't have any when I did the marathon 3 years ago I had some energy bar instead and felt great all race long. Since everybody seem to be taking those gels I decided to try as it may be necessary ( may be somehow I was lucky 3 years ago). So I would like to try again for my 20 mile LSR this coming Sunday, could someone recommand any brand? how many would you use during marathon?

There are so many types to try that it really is a matter of personal taste. I like using Iso gels as there is water included and you don't have to make sure you have water with them. You can try them on the shorter runs to see what agrees with you so grab a handful this week and try them out.
    Most people will use 4 gels in the marathon as you want to keep your energy levels up and not let them drop. Most people go for around mile 6, 12, 17, 21/22.5, this corressponds to water stations too as some gels require water to take with them.
    If the gels really don't agree with you, use the energy bars you have used before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks ncmc i'll do that. Think I'll make them three easy runs just to be on the safe side! How are your blisters btw? my big toe is a mess even though I've had the compeed plasters on its taking an age to heal :(
    Mine are pretty good actually Career_move, I just left mine alone, didn’t put any bandaids or Compeed on them, left them to ‘air’ as much as possible and they have actually healed up pretty nicely. An upside is that the old blisters have kind of turned in to hard skin, which seems to be preventing new blisters forming. I was fine on my 12 miles yesterday, but I think the 20 miles this weekend will be the test. I think I am just going to buy a couple of pairs of ordinary socks, as the 1000 mile ones have been a total disaster for me. Will try them out this weekend and if that goes to plan, they will be my marathon socks (will be carefully put aside with my ‘marathon knickers’ :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

regarding gels - its taken me 2 years of long runs to find one I like. I tried all different brands during long runs - all them agreed with my stomach, so didn't get cramps - it was more so the thought of taking a sickly sweet gel after many miles of running that just didn't appeal to me.

Now I use the Gu brand - they are probably the 'thickest' gel out there, but they dont have the 'sweet' flavour of the other brands. Definitely need water with them but they work for me! I take non caffeine at earlier miles and caffeine ones at later miles.

But it is a personal taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

I've just ordered 'The Stick' from amazon! i'll be as limber as a gymnast by the time oct 29th rolls around :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

So missed my first LSR this weekend, had the flu and while it was clearing up i said i would hold off until fully recovered. But im still raging at the same time.

Was supposed to do 20m as my last long LSR and then i was on taper as i was going to do Galway Half this weekend.

As i missed it now im going to have to do the 20 this weekend so thinking about doing Athlone now instead of Galway.

So whos doing Galway and who is doing Athlone 3/4 round here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hi guys, can't believe its October :eek::eek: Like others on here I think I'm thinking of nothing but Monday 29th and have been struggling with really understanding the taper period. Anyway I did a bit of googling and came across this on youtube, worth a look, its definitely the best explanation of why we need a 3 week taper I've heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZsOiEwq1q4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

DO ATHLONE DO ATHLONE DO ATHLONE..............all the cool people are:D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

docrock wrote: »
    - its not next month anymore:eek::eek:

This sent a shudder through me when I read it. It really isnt far away at all anymore.
    *%^%......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Thank you for entering the Dublin Marathon, your marathon race number is 10100.

Can't wait to be on the starting line now!

NoelJ wrote: »
    Thank you for entering the Dublin Marathon, your marathon race number is 10100.

Can't wait to be on the starting line now!
    Nice one Noel! And cool number, it's like binary code :D. No turning back now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

So over the last ten days I had my first hiccup of the training period. No injury, no sickness - life just got in the way.

So my 18m LSR was my first run in 10 days and also my longest run ever. It was hell. Started hurting badly from 14m and had to take loadsa walk breaks. Pushed through and did the thing in 3:30. Was a bit of a wake up call for me tbh, but glad I did it.

I'm now gonna get back on plan and follow HH1 for this week with the Athlone on Sunday. I'm gonna go out with the 4 hour pacers for the first quarter (where they go at 10:10) and then see how I feel when they speed up to (9:38) for the final two quarters. Probably will try to end up sticking at 10:10 pace for the duration which I'd be happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

DO ATHLONE DO ATHLONE DO ATHLONE..............all the cool people are:D

+1 to this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

snowman224 wrote: »
    This sent a shudder through me when I read it. It really isnt far away at all anymore.
    *%^%......

Sorry guys;),there was a few gulps when I realised it myself:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Folks would any body recommend either the Garmin 210 or 410.

The advantage the 410 seems to have is the virtual partner but then it has the bezel which is supposed to be really awkward to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Just off the phone from my Doctor, well the receptionist actually. Now she quite clearly stated that she is not medically trained, but the report from the MRI says that there is NO evidence of a stress fracture ! :D
    I'm waiting for the Doctor to call me back to run through the report with me.

Now I just need to know why my foot is still swolen and bruised, so much so that wearing shoes hurt. More importantly, what the hell can I do to fix the thing ?

And, why oh why did I stuff my face over the last 7 days thinking that I was out of the marathon :( There is still a glimmer of hope ! I must have put on 4 or 5 pounds in the last 7 days.

EDIt : Ok Doc called me, and just have to rest it and take anti-inflammatories to make the swelling go down. It still hurts like a B**ch, but it appears that I am back in the running ! Delighted :)

I'm having the same problem with gels, they taste ok but my stomach is a bit dodgy after taking them but its a bit late to be experimenting too much at this stage. I find that I'm feeling a bit sick at the later stages of the long runs which IMO is due to not eating enough as i'm drinking loads during the run - its more a feeling of being sick from lack of food than over eating if you know what I mean. A friend of mine eats mini chocolate bars towards the end long runs but I dont know I could end up worse off. I have tried jelly beans (the ones in holland & barrett) & jellies which take the edge off but I feel that I need something more than them but less than something like a banana.Might try one or two of the chocolate bars this weekend & see how I get on. What are other people trying???

jprender wrote: »

Ok Doc called me, and just have to rest it and take anti-inflammatories to make the swelling go down. It still hurts like a B**ch, but it appears that I am back in the running ! Delighted :)

Great news jprender, I have to take Difine anti inflams for my knee as needed every so often & they sort it out in a few days.Youll be flying & the few pounds weight will fall off once you realise that its OCTOBER & youre back in the game:eek::eek:

I'm having the same problem with gels, they taste ok but my stomach is a bit dodgy after taking them but its a bit late to be experimenting too much at this stage. I find that I'm feeling a bit sick at the later stages of the long runs which IMO is due to not eating enough as i'm drinking loads during the run - its more a feeling of being sick from lack of food than over eating if you know what I mean. A friend of mine eats mini chocolate bars towards the end long runs but I dont know I could end up worse off. I have tried jelly beans (the ones in holland & barrett) & jellies which take the edge off but I feel that I need something more than them but less than something like a banana.Might try one or two of the chocolate bars this weekend & see how I get on. What are other people trying???

My food strategy will include 4 Gels, sports beans (from wheelworx), chews (cola flavour :-) ) and a few Glucose tabs. The gels I use are quite thick, its kinda like eating soft fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

jprender wrote: »
    Just off the phone from my Doctor, well the receptionist actually. Now she quite clearly stated that she is not medically trained, but the report from the MRI says that there is NO evidence of a stress fracture ! :D
    I'm waiting for the Doctor to call me back to run through the report with me.

Now I just need to know why my foot is still swolen and bruised, so much so that wearing shoes hurt. More importantly, what the hell can I do to fix the thing ?

And, why oh why did I stuff my face over the last 7 days thinking that I was out of the marathon :( There is still a glimmer of hope ! I must have put on 4 or 5 pounds in the last 7 days.

EDIt : Ok Doc called me, and just have to rest it and take anti-inflammatories to make the swelling go down. It still hurts like a B**ch, but it appears that I am back in the running ! Delighted :)

Absolutely delighted for you jprender!!! You'll be back on the road and dropping the extra pounds in no time!

stevekavo wrote: »
    Folks would any body recommend either the Garmin 210 or 410.

The advantage the 410 seems to have is the virtual partner but then it has the bezel which is supposed to be really awkward to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use the 305 which also has the VP (I've never used it). No bezel but very easy to use.
    Looks like a brick on your arm to the unknown - but the real runners know its a fine piece of kit!

I have the same problem, I was famished during my 19 miles last week, actually felt weak from it, and I had eaten a big bowl of porridge and a cup of tea about 2 hours before the run! Might try a power bar of some sort on this weeks run in addition to a couple of gels. I'm lucky in that I normally have quite a strong stomach, so if I take my time taking the gels, I have no adverse affects.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I find that I'm feeling a bit sick at the later stages of the long runs which IMO is due to not eating enough as i'm drinking loads during the run

How much are you drinking? You could be feeling sick because you're drinking too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

I use the 305 which also has the VP (I've never used it). No bezel but very easy to use.
    Looks like a brick on your arm to the unknown - but the real runners know its a fine piece of kit!

I also use the 305 and it does everything I need it to. HR, Distance, pace, virtual pacer etc. I got mine second hand. I nevr run without it now

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Thanks for the replies folks, it looks like 4.15 is the pace to head out at and the primary goal is to enjoy the thing! After all these LSR, who would have thought!

On garmin queries, I have the 410; the touch bezel is a bit frustrating but you can lock it if required and I have found that sorts out any problems I have had.

I traditionally have HR monitor, distance & avg pace on my screen but used the virtual racer for the first time in the Race series half marathon and found it really useful. It was incredibly motivating to see myself ahead of a desired pace after a hill or when I was feeling slow, it also allowed me to slow down in places but still know I wasnt losing too much time or distance from where I wanted to be.

That said, I have a friend who used the 110 I think and it tells her how fast she's going and not much else and that suits her fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Ive read about people bringing potatoes which would be ok to digest plus it contains carbs

RayCun wrote: »
    How much are you drinking? You could be feeling sick because you're drinking too much.

Hi Ray,
    I normally do my LSR on Saturday after lunch so I'd have a bowl of cereal, toast & coffee for breakfast followed by a lucozade sport or water during the morning, I then do 11k which brings me back by the house & I have a pint or close to that of water & collect two 250ml bottles of water & my running bag with the jelly babies, gel, etc,I sip & munch on the jelly babies as needed up until about 25k as I have a refill point at a school where they have an outside tap,I fill both again, take a gel & sip & eat whats left of the sweets until I get home.I'm also a serious sweater:eek: so bad that once I get a mile the drops of sweat are falling off my nose & you could wring out my clothes after finishing so I suppose I'm losing a lot of salt as well. So I suppose in total I have 3 1/2 pints of water during the whole process - dont ask me what thats in mls - I'm a 60's child:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

stevekavo wrote: »
    Folks would any body recommend either the Garmin 210 or 410. The advantage the 410 seems to have is the virtual partner but then it has the bezel which is supposed to be really awkward to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I have the 405 which has a bezel & I've never had any difficulty using it (once I actually learned how to use the watch, so I knew how & where to touch / spin etc). And I love the virtual partner feature, just so easy to know how far ahead / behind I am compared to my intended pace, and to know how much time I've "saved up" if I'm ahead. This was great for the half marathon, but don't think I'll be using it for the full! :p
    Might try one or two of the chocolate bars this weekend & see how I get on. What are other people trying???
    For my last few long runs, I've brought Nature Valley Chewy Trail Mix Chocolate bars. They're sticky oaty bars with big chocolate chips; quite tasty & easy enough to squeeze them into & out of the loops in my gel belt, so handy to carry. I find them easy to eat as I run, can take small bites & it's not messy. I'm using a gel on the long runs too. For the dress rehearsal this weekend, I'll probably fill up my belt (2 bars, 6 gels) just for practise carrying them. I'll only use one of each as usual!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

came across this when thinking of all we needon marathon day! how did anyone run before gels , garmins etc

Advertisement