Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

stevekavo wrote: »
    Folks would any body recommend either the Garmin 210 or 410.

The advantage the 410 seems to have is the virtual partner but then it has the bezel which is supposed to be really awkward to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use the 305 which also has the VP (I've never used it). No bezel but very easy to use.
    Looks like a brick on your arm to the unknown - but the real runners know its a fine piece of kit!
    I use this too, with a HR monitor, big? yes! But def good n easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

docrock wrote: »
    So I suppose in total I have 3 1/2 pints of water during the whole process

That is a lot of water. Are you drinking that much because you're that thirsty, or because you think you're supposed to? It's probably counter-productive. You're drinking more than you need, and more than you can comfortably absorb, and it's making you feel ill towards the end of your run.

If you're starting off well-hydrated you don't need anything like that much water. Next time on your run, take a smaller glass of water when you stop back at your house. Bring just one bottle of water with you, and only drink when you feel thirsty. If you feel hot but not thirsty, pour some water over your head (or over your wrists), it will cool you down more than a drink.

More people get sick in a marathon from drinking too much water than drinking too little. This article is worth a review if you have time, or this article

oh, or episodes 71 and 72 of Marathon Talk discuss hydration in the training talk section

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Surely with that volume of water you would need to at least be putting electrolyte tablets in? Hyponatraemia is not well understood but everyone needs to understand what it is and how to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

stevekavo wrote: »
    Folks would any body recommend either the Garmin 210 or 410.

The advantage the 410 seems to have is the virtual partner but then it has the bezel which is supposed to be really awkward to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Check out reviews from http://www.dcrainmaker.com/p/product-reviews.html . I bought a 210 as an entry into GPS watched. Was not sorry! Does what it say son the tin and in these reviews.Wanted a 305 originally, but found it hard to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Check out reviews from http://www.dcrainmaker.com/p/product-reviews.html . I bought a 210 as an entry into GPS watched. Was not sorry! Does what it say son the tin and in these reviews.Wanted a 305 originally, but found it hard to get one.

dcrainmaker is the bees knees when it comes to reviewing GPS kit. I bought my 305 after a lot of research, primarily from his site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

I am surprised your not looking for the toilet a few times on a run

I know i would.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

Bought my marathon runners yesterday - went for Asics GEL-KAYANO 18's - wore 2170's up to now but tried on the Kayano's and was impressed with the extra cushioning. Took them out for a short easy run this morning - oh my God after two miles the burning pain in the balls of my feet was unbearable - I didn't think I would be able to make it back home. I can't remember feeling any kind of pain when I broke in any runners before and am a bit worried that I wont be able to wear them and my 2170's have too many miles on them - what to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That's a pretty big change this close to the big day. How many miles up on 2170's and why did you change the model? If it ain't broke don't fix it (not that you want to hear that having dropped 150 on the new pair!) if you want to wear them for the marathon then start wearing them around the house etc and it should help break them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

RayCun wrote: »
    That is a lot of water. Are you drinking that much because you're that thirsty, or because you think you're supposed to?
    More people get sick in a marathon from drinking too much water than drinking too little. This article is worth a review if you have time, or this article

Hi again Ray,
    being honest I thought that I was supposed to drink plenty of water going around - obviously from what you said & from reading the articles I didnt need as much as I thought. I would be thirsty as well but like I said in the earlier post I sweat a lot so I though that I was replacing some of those fluids as well - I'm like a tap after 5 miles,its a constant flow from the peak of my hat, drip, drip so obviously I'm losing a lot of salt as well. I did 29k recently & had a mix up with water drops(long story) so I didnt get water or a gel until 20k but when I got back home I was shivering & had to go to bed for an hour.I put this down to dehydration so I said to myself that I wouldnt get caught in that one again. Then again a friend of mine who knows a serious marathon runner told me that she said exactly the same as what youve said.I'll try just taking the one bottle at the weekend & see how I get on.
    This forum is invaluable for stuff like this - thanks for the advice Ray very much appreciated;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That is a lot of water. Are you drinking that much because you're that thirsty, or because you think you're supposed to?

Hi again Ray,
    being honest I thought that I was supposed to drink plenty of water going around - obviously from what you said & from reading the articles I didnt need as much as I thought. I would be thirsty as well but like I said in the earlier post I sweat a lot so I though that I was replacing some of those fluids as well - I'm like a tap after 5 miles,its a constant flow from the peak of my hat, drip, drip so obviously I'm losing a lot of salt as well. I did 29k recently & had a mix up with water drops(long story) so I didnt get water or a gel until 20k but when I got back home I was shivering & had to go to bed for an hour.I put this down to dehydration so I said to myself that I wouldnt get caught in that one again. Then again a friend of mine who knows a serious marathon runner told me that she said exactly the same as what youve said.I'll try just taking the one bottle at the weekend & see how I get on.
    This forum is invaluable for stuff like this - thanks for the advice Ray very much appreciated;)

Make sure you drink plenty of water in the days before your lsr. Gulping even a pint of water during a run in one go will do more harm than good to you. Small regular sips will keep you well hydrated. Very important to get timing of your drinks etc correct for your marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

peggysue2 wrote: »
    Bought my marathon runners yesterday - went for Asics GEL-KAYANO 18's - wore 2170's up to now but tried on the Kayano's and was impressed with the extra cushioning. Took them out for a short easy run this morning - oh my God after two miles the burning pain in the balls of my feet was unbearable - I didn't think I would be able to make it back home. I can't remember feeling any kind of pain when I broke in any runners before and am a bit worried that I wont be able to wear them and my 2170's have too many miles on them - what to do!!

I had those, same problem. burning pain in the ball of my foot, hard to run on. even when they were broken in :( have new balance ones now and no pain.

Trampas wrote: »
    I am surprised your not looking for the toilet a few times on a room.

I know i would.

Strange that you would say that Trampas, cos I normally have to go for a leak about 2 times on a LSR. All of this is finally making sense to me.I'm obviously drinking way too much before & during races & runs.I was actually looking at the route last week to see how far the Phoenix Park was from the start so I'd be able to find a old oak tree:eek::eek:, it was actually bothering me as to where i would have to go between the start & there if I had to & the portaloos were full.Being of the male species any old plantation would do but its another worry that I could do without on top of 26 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

These are the electrolyte tablets we've been using - actually we've mostly used the non-caffeine version but I did prefer the caffeine types when I got them.

Your muscles (in fact all your cells) need sodium to work properly - when you over-consume water, it dilutes the sodium (hyponatraemia) and can initially lead to cramp. At its extreme, it can lead to death (and has among marathoners). This is where the "drink to thirst" advice comes from.

The advice to drink a lot and drink often has been very common for the last 20 years. It seems to have coincided with the marathon taking off as a mass participation event, rather than the preserve of a few very fast and very crazy people :) It's only more recently that the pendulum has swung back again, with the realisation that there were very very few people getting sick from under-hydration (heatstroke, sometimes, but that's a different problem) and a lot of runners drinking an awful amount of water on their way around. London marathon has water tables every 2 miles, I think, and people are taking a bottle at each one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

try wearing them around the house for a few days, this might help settle them in.
    You can always ring the shop and ask them if they'll take them back - sometimes they might do it for us marathoners as we spend a lot of money in their shops over the year. They may be able to use them as a display model or a tester pair.
    Failing that, get yourself to a shop that does a proper gait analysis - Amphibian King in Dublin is quiet good, they have a range of shoes that the larger outlets dont have.
    I had 2170's in the past and loved them - changed to Mizono on advice of AK - also love them!
    But whatever you do, do it quick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

try wearing them around the house for a few days, this might help settle them in.
    You can always ring the shop and ask them if they'll take them back - sometimes they might do it for us marathoners as we spend a lot of money in their shops over the year. They may be able to use them as a display model or a tester pair.
    Failing that, get yourself to a shop that does a proper gait analysis - Amphibian King in Dublin is quiet good, they have a range of shoes that the larger outlets dont have.
    I had 2170's in the past and loved them - changed to Mizono on advice of AK - also love them!

Would agree - I had exact same problem with Brooks one's got from Amphibian King in B2R and they took them back. Had tried them out on a treadmill first so was no scuffing but if was just a short run then may still be in a sellable condition so id try cleaning off the sole and asking if they'll refund (or at least give you credit that can get a different pair)

I tried getting the Nimbus 13's I currently have again in the Asics Kildare outlet seen as other shops don't seem to stock them anymore (Nimbus 14 out now) but didn't have my size so guy recommended the Kinetic4 - hoping they're somehow similar and have time to break in now, first try on treadmill tomorrow so fingers crossed. If not, gonna have to stick with current one's on Marathon day - had them since April so hoping be alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

rasher_m wrote: »
    Ive read about people bringing potatoes which would be ok to digest plus it contains carbs

That's mad - are they just stuffing whole potatoes into their pockets and biting into them as running along like you would an apple..? Reminds me of my granny's stories of holding hot potatoes on the run to school in the morning.....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

FiiFii wrote: »
    That's mad - are they just stuffing whole potatoes into their pockets and biting into them as running along like you would an apple..? Reminds me of my granny's stories of holding hot potatoes on the run to school in the morning.....:p

haha...yeah does seem a bit extreme but if you cooked one and put it in a bit of foil with some salt on it (sodium) and then stuck it in your bum bag. I would imagine it could be tasty enough, especially cause I love potatoes anyway. I've never known potatoes to repeat on you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

rasher_m wrote: »
    lmguillou wrote: »
    Did 19k yesterday, and tried for the first time the gels, have to say, not great. I didn't have any when I did the marathon 3 years ago I had some energy bar instead and felt great all race long. Since everybody seem to be taking those gels I decided to try as it may be necessary ( may be somehow I was lucky 3 years ago). So I would like to try again for my 20 mile LSR this coming Sunday, could someone recommand any brand? how many would you use during marathon?

I'm having the same problem with gels, they taste ok but my stomach is a bit dodgy after taking them but its a bit late to be experimenting too much at this stage. I find that I'm feeling a bit sick at the later stages of the long runs which IMO is due to not eating enough as i'm drinking loads during the run - its more a feeling of being sick from lack of food than over eating if you know what I mean. A friend of mine eats mini chocolate bars towards the end long runs but I dont know I could end up worse off. I have tried jelly beans (the ones in holland & barrett) & jellies which take the edge off but I feel that I need something more than them but less than something like a banana.Might try one or two of the chocolate bars this weekend & see how I get on. What are other people trying???
    Ive read about people bringing potatoes which would be ok to digest plus it contains carbs

I use High 5 Isogel, the orange non caffeine and have always found them great, you don't need to wash them down with water. I will taking up to 4/5 during DCM; not 100% sure if they make me feel better or stop me feeling worse, but they do work for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

How much are you drinking? You could be feeling sick because you're drinking too much.

Hi Ray,
    I normally do my LSR on Saturday after lunch so I'd have a bowl of cereal, toast & coffee for breakfast followed by a lucozade sport or water during the morning, I then do 11k which brings me back by the house & I have a pint or close to that of water & collect two 250ml bottles of water & my running bag with the jelly babies, gel, etc,I sip & munch on the jelly babies as needed up until about 25k as I have a refill point at a school where they have an outside tap,I fill both again, take a gel & sip & eat whats left of the sweets until I get home.I'm also a serious sweater:eek: so bad that once I get a mile the drops of sweat are falling off my nose & you could wring out my clothes after finishing so I suppose I'm losing a lot of salt as well. So I suppose in total I have 3 1/2 pints of water during the whole process - dont ask me what thats in mls - I'm a 60's child:eek::eek:

I have same sweating issue and also drink a lot on lsr's, but if you haven't tried it already, check out adding Dioralyte to one of your water bottles, it's great for electrolyte replacement. Doesn't taste great but works wonders ( good for hangovers too!) used to use them on my children when they were babies and not well, can buy in any pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

Would agree - I had exact same problem with Brooks one's got from Amphibian King in B2R and they took them back. Had tried them out on a treadmill first so was no scuffing but if was just a short run then may still be in a sellable condition so id try cleaning off the sole and asking if they'll refund (or at least give you credit that can get a different pair)

I tried getting the Nimbus 13's I currently have again in the Asics Kildare outlet seen as other shops don't seem to stock them anymore (Nimbus 14 out now) but didn't have my size so guy recommended the Kinetic4 - hoping they're somehow similar and have time to break in now, first try on treadmill tomorrow so fingers crossed. If not, gonna have to stick with current one's on Marathon day - had them since April so hoping be alright...

Thanks for all the advice - bought them in Elvery's on sunday after they analysed my gait and recommended them. I was going to go with the 2170's again but went with the recommendation and am regretting that decision :-((( I might give them a ring today and see if a swap is possible at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Elvery's

While a very reputable shop, last place i'd buy runners having encountered the same problem as you. There staff would be leagues behind Amphibian King in runners fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Hi Fiifii, if you haven't used the Kinetics yet, I managed to get a pair of Nimbus 13's from Sportshoes.com as I didn't want to change runner type. They are based in UK but free delivery to Ireland. Was a little bit skeptical ordering runners online, but just ordered the exact same type/size as my old pair and had a brand shiny new pair in 5 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

lrak wrote: »
    I have same sweating issue and also drink a lot on lsr's, but if you haven't tried it already, check out adding Dioralyte to one of your water bottles, it's great for electrolyte replacement. Doesn't taste great but works wonders ( good for hangovers too!) used to use them on my children when they were babies and not well, can buy in any pharmacy.

Hope they helped the kids hangovers Irak, cos being hungover and having a dirty nappy at the same time must be a real b1tch :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Are you supposed to have received an email when you signed up to DCM, I got the paypal email receipt, but nothing else?

I have the asics 2170's since june this year & I hope that I'll get dublin out of them.If I was buying a new pair I'd definately go for them again as injury wise I've been fairly ok but the only issue that I have with them is that my big toes have started to peek through the top section which I'm told is very common with asics - I had nimbus Gel 12's before & the same thing happened. In fairness the shoes are in good shape so the girl in the shop advised me to put a pit of white sticky tape inside the shoes where my big toes are which would delay the process which has worked over the past few weeks. When I was buying them she recommended the new balance equivalant & it wasnt to get more money out of me as the prices were fairly similar.

Jeez did I ever think that I'd only get 4 months out of a pair of runners:eek::eek: - fair enough theres a lot of miles on the clock in those 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Donal112 wrote: »

Hi Fiifii, if you haven't used the Kinetics yet, I managed to get a pair of Nimbus 13's from Sportshoes.com as I didn't want to change runner type. They are based in UK but free delivery to Ireland. Was a little bit skeptical ordering runners online, but just ordered the exact same type/size as my old pair and had a brand shiny new pair in 5 days!

I bought a pair of 14s online as nowhere in the country had my size. Was a gamble but went for the same size as the 12s i had. Fit perfectly. I think it's safe enough if you're sticking to the same brand. Might save some cash too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bren69

sassyj wrote: »
    Are you supposed to have received an email when you signed up to DCM, I got the paypal email receipt, but nothing else?

I got an email which includes my bib number. If you go back into the DCM website and hit the button to register online, you should see a tab called 'Entrants Search'. Enter your surname and you should see your details. There is a link next to your name to 'Resend email'. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

bren69 wrote: »
    I got an email which includes my bib number. If you go back into the DCM website and hit the button to register online, you should see a tab called 'Entrants Search'. Enter your surname and you should see your details. There is a link next to your name to 'Resend email'. Hope this helps.

thanks Bren, just tried that, no email coming through and nothing in spam, will email DCM.

Advertisement