Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

So, I have a physio appointment this evening, which I am really not looking forward to because I am a total baby about pain and I bruise like a peach! The thing is, there isn’t really a whole lot wrong with me, my itbs was quite sore after the 19 miles last week, causing a bit of knee and hip pain, but that’s eased up and I have been feeling pretty good all week. I booked the appointment last week as a preventative thing more than anything, but now I’m wondering if the physio is going to think I’m crazy! My thinking when I booked the appointment was that it would loosen up my itbs for the 20 mile LSR this weekend and that if I got a professional to work on it, it would leave it easier for me to use the roller from now on.

Has anyone else gone to a physio as a preventative thing? Is he going to think I’m nuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Back at physio this morning. End result is a referral to doctor for a referral for an xray. Stress fracture looking likely.

Have to wait and see how quick I can get an xray now. See what the diagnosis is and then decide what to do. Medically speaking it's not that advisable to run a marathon on a stress fracture but she didn't completely rule it out. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Back at physio this morning. End result is a referral to doctor for a referral for an xray. Stress fracture looking likely.

Have to wait and see how quick I can get an xray now. See what the diagnosis is and then decide what to do. Medically speaking it's not that advisable to run a marathon on a stress fracture but she didn't completely rule it out. :pac:

Hoping for the best for you PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

ncmc wrote: »
    So, I have a physio appointment this evening, which I am really not looking forward to because I am a total baby about pain and I bruise like a peach! The thing is, there isn’t really a whole lot wrong with me, my itbs was quite sore after the 19 miles last week, causing a bit of knee and hip pain, but that’s eased up and I have been feeling pretty good all week. I booked the appointment last week as a preventative thing more than anything, but now I’m wondering if the physio is going to think I’m crazy! My thinking when I booked the appointment was that it would loosen up my itbs for the 20 mile LSR this weekend and that if I got a professional to work on it, it would leave it easier for me to use the roller from now on.

Has anyone else gone to a physio as a preventative thing? Is he going to think I’m nuts?

I have often gone for a preventative reason. Physios will never turn the money away. When you get there make sure you get your moneys worth and point out any niggle you have at all. If nothing else you will get a decent sports massage.

docrock wrote: »
    I have the asics 2170's since june this year & I hope that I'll get dublin out of them.If I was buying a new pair I'd definately go for them again as injury wise I've been fairly ok but the only issue that I have with them is that my big toes have started to peek through the top section which I'm told is very common with asics - I had nimbus Gel 12's before & the same thing happened. In fairness the shoes are in good shape so the girl in the shop advised me to put a pit of white sticky tape inside the shoes where my big toes are which would delay the process which has worked over the past few weeks. When I was buying them she recommended the new balance equivalant & it wasnt to get more money out of me as the prices were fairly similar.

Jeez did I ever think that I'd only get 4 months out of a pair of runners:eek::eek: - fair enough theres a lot of miles on the clock in those 4 months.

This hole in the netting where the toe is, is more common than you think. Myself and two of my sisters have all encountered this problem with ASICS runners. This happened when none of us were running, just walking and it was happening after about two months of wearing them. I wouldnt buy asics again for this reason even though they are overall a good running shoe. I'm very soft on shoes and have them for years without much wear on them. I brought my Nike into Amphibian Kings and have been wearing them since last xmas and even with all the running there was no major wear on them except for where you tie the laces.
    I have ended up with Saucony shoes now, only because my Nike were neutral shoes. The reason I thought Amphibian Kings were the best for Gait Analysis is because they test your running style on the floor as apposed to a treadmill. This means your running style is natural instead of being pulled along by a belt and it simulates the way you will really run outdoors. The other thing about them is that their shop staff are experienced runners so they know the science behind the shoe and your feet.

• Advertisement

rasher_m wrote: »
    I have often gone for a preventative reason. Physios will never turn the money away. When you get there make sure you get your moneys worth and point out any niggle you have at all. If nothing else you will get a decent sports massage.
    Thanks Rasher, I think a good sports massage would sort me out. I don't want any little niggle affecting the 20 miles on Saturday, my 19 mile LSR was a nightmare, so need a good LSR this weekend to boost my confidence a bit. Stupid question, but what do people wear to the physio? Shorts? Tracksuit bottoms?

Have to wait and see how quick I can get an xray now. See what the diagnosis is and then decide what to do. Medically speaking it's not that advisable to run a marathon on a stress fracture but she didn't completely rule it out. pacman.gif
    Bummer PM, I know how much you wanted to run this marathon. Fingers crossed for you, but if the worst came to the worst, you'd be in great shape for a spring marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hoping you get it sorted & can run PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

this might sound silly but I hope to break 4 hours and I believe I can but was wondering should I run with the pacers or not and just run my own pace.

it felt like the pacers were the pan piper and had some many people around them that no real space to yourself.

Only experience is the HM in Phoenix park

I have the virtual pacer on my 405 to keep me on tabs with time.

Thanks Rasher, I think a good sports massage would sort me out. I don't want any little niggle affecting the 20 miles on Saturday, my 19 mile LSR was a nightmare, so need a good LSR this weekend to boost my confidence a bit. Stupid question, but what do people wear to the physio? Shorts? Tracksuit bottoms?

Bummer PM, I know how much you wanted to run this marathon. Fingers crossed for you, but if the worst came to the worst, you'd be in great shape for a spring marathon.

You need to wear shorts in the actual session. Put on some loose tracksuit bottoms and then when you get there, you will sit down for a few minutes to talk and they will take your history. It will last about 5 minutes then when they ask you to lie on the table you can take your bottoms off and hopefully have your shorts on under them ;)
    Don't worry about the pain, they will not break anything, just put pressure on the spots that are causing problems. You will be glad of it afterwards.
    I am the biggest coward ever and I can even handle it.
    They will also give you exercises/stretches for any problem areas and if they dont then ask for some.

You need to wear shorts in the actual session. Put on some loose tracksuit bottoms and then when you get there, you will sit down for a few minutes to talk and they will take your history. It will last about 5 minutes then when they ask you to lie on the table you can take your bottoms off and hopefully have your shorts on under them ;)
    Don't worry about the pain, they will not break anything, just put pressure on the spots that are causing problems. You will be glad of it afterwards.
    I am the biggest coward ever and I can even handle it.
    They will also give you exercises/stretches for any problem areas and if they dont then ask for some.
    Thanks Rasher, I have only one pair of shorts and they are indecently short, so I will throw a pair of trackie bottoms over them.

*I'm still scared though :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Trampas wrote: »
    this might sound silly but I hope to break 4 hours and I believe I can but was wondering should I run with the pacers or not and just run my own pace.

it felt like the pacers were the pan piper and had some many people around them that no real space to yourself.

If you are going to run with the virtual pacer make sure you keep a check of your time at the mile markers as you most likely won't run exactly 26.2 miles. Most people's garmin end up measureing the distance of DCM as something betweek 26.4 and 26.5 miles, so maybe best to set up the watch for a 'long' course.

menoscemo wrote: »
    If you are going to run with the virtual pacer make sure you keep a check of your time at the mile markers as you most likely won't run exactly 26.2 miles. Most people's garmin end up measureing the distance of DCM as something betweek 26.4 and 26.5 miles, so maybe best to set up the watch for a 'long' course.

I am a kms man :D

Maybe I should start a bit behind and try and catch them as the bodies thin out

Thanks Rasher, I have only one pair of shorts and they are indecently short, so I will throw a pair of trackie bottoms over them.

*I'm still scared though :o

The shorter the better, as they will be able to get at your thighs etc.
    I know how you feel but the more relaxed you are the easier it will be to work on you as your muscles will be relaxed.
    Also they will not keep going if you say something is too painful, so be aware that you can say stop at any time and they will ease up or work on the area will gradual intensity instead of full on.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

I am a kms man :D

Maybe I should start a bit behind and try and catch them as the bodies thin out

That's what I did during my first marathon and finished in 3h57 :D I caught them after the 30k mark if I remember well

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Trampas, you and I are pretty much at the same position, I hope to break 4 hours and our half marathon times were pretty similar. I plan to run with the pace makers as it will be a relief not to have to keep checking the watch to see if I am on time or not.

I ran behind the pacers in the HM, inititally I was quiet a distance back but I could see the flags so was fine. I greadually worked my way up to them by about 17KM and ran in front of them in the last KM.

My strategy is to do the same, run with the pacers or at least keep them in sight and then if by some miracle I feel good enough I will try and push on. If I am in any doubt I will stay with the pace makers (hopefully).

I know if will probably be very busy but they did a great job getting me over the line in the HM and I hope the 4 hour pacers can do the same.

BTW do we know who the 4 hour pacers are going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

definately go. I went this morning with a niggle near my ankle, like you feeling that maybe I should not. Turned out I needed re-alligning in my pelvis and something corrected in my back (neither of which I had copped). Will have to test out with a run tomorrow to see if the niggle is gone but he also sussed that I am terrible regarding hydration simply by putting a bit of pressure on my calf muscles. Very much worth it and no sense that I was wasting his time. Best of luck. C

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

LarMan wrote: »
    Trampas, you and I are pretty much at the same position, I hope to break 4 hours and our half marathon times were pretty similar.

What were your times?
    I'd love to break 4 hours - but with the amount of training I've missed I think I have to be realistic.
    Still, no harm in dreaming eh?
    (aside from being carted from Clonskeagh in an ambulance I guess :cool: )

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

This hole in the netting where the toe is, is more common than you think. Myself and two of my sisters have all encountered this problem with ASICS runners. This happened when none of us were running, just walking and it was happening after about two months of wearing them. I wouldnt buy asics again for this reason even though they are overall a good running shoe. I'm very soft on shoes and have them for years without much wear on them. I brought my Nike into Amphibian Kings and have been wearing them since last xmas and even with all the running there was no major wear on them except for where you tie the laces.
    I have ended up with Saucony shoes now, only because my Nike were neutral shoes. The reason I thought Amphibian Kings were the best for Gait Analysis is because they test your running style on the floor as apposed to a treadmill. This means your running style is natural instead of being pulled along by a belt and it simulates the way you will really run outdoors. The other thing about them is that their shop staff are experienced runners so they know the science behind the shoe and your feet.
    docrock wrote: »
    I have the asics 2170's since june this year & I hope that I'll get dublin out of them.If I was buying a new pair I'd definately go for them again as injury wise I've been fairly ok but the only issue that I have with them is that my big toes have started to peek through the top section which I'm told is very common with asics - I had nimbus Gel 12's before & the same thing happened. In fairness the shoes are in good shape so the girl in the shop advised me to put a pit of white sticky tape inside the shoes where my big toes are which would delay the process which has worked over the past few weeks. When I was buying them she recommended the new balance equivalant & it wasnt to get more money out of me as the prices were fairly similar.

Jeez did I ever think that I'd only get 4 months out of a pair of runners:eek::eek: - fair enough theres a lot of miles on the clock in those 4 months.

I had the same problem with Asics 2170's that I bought in Elvery's. After a couple of months a hole started to appear in the toe box of each runner.
    I brought them back and the manager told me that it is because I had long toenails...the cheek!! I politely informed her that I didn't have long toenails..grr. The sign on the counter said that all runners had a 365 day guarantee so I pointed that out. I didn't have a receipt but they took them back and gave me a new pair anyway...yeah!

The mesh in the toebox of asics seem to be made of very cheap light mesh that isn't designed to last. I was very annoyed at the thought of having to fork out 120 euro for another pair that is why I chanced taking them back.

It's worth a shot to take them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Running gear in lidl this thurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

It's well worth it if anyone is planning on running through the winter.

I bought a few things last season, and it's still good to go another round with the snow/rain/ice.

• Advertisement

Going to be there first thing in the morning! Need a couple of long sleeve tops and I just can't afford to fork out for expensive ones. Whoever said running was a cheap sport is a big fat liar! I reckon I will have spent close to €1000 this year on runners, race entries, clothing, gels etc, physio, accomodation the night before the marathon... the list goes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Ok this is probably a silly question but.... What do people do for for visits to the loo during the race, I know there are portaloo's at the start/end but what about the rest of the course, it's a given I will need the loo during it, probably a couple of times, i dont over hydrate. I'm looking at a five hour finish, I can't hold that long!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Ok this is probably a silly question but.... What do people do for for visits to the loo during the race, I know there are portaloo's at the start/end but what about the rest of the course, it's a given I will need the loo during it, probably a couple of times, i dont over hydrate. I'm looking at a five hour finish, I can't hold that long!!

Did they not send you out a pee bag yet? you strap it on! I think there are loo's at the water stations or at different points.. or I assume so!

You could try what I seen in the 50km walk in the olympics. Person took a sponge and next thing he was taking it out of his shorts. Hate to think who picked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

snowman224 wrote: »
    What were your times?
    I'd love to break 4 hours - but with the amount of training I've missed I think I have to be realistic.
    Still, no harm in dreaming eh?
    (aside from being carted from Clonskeagh in an ambulance I guess :cool: )

Hi Snowman my HM time was 1:48:59 which I think is about on the limit for trying for a sub 4 but considering this is my first marathon there is most definately a chance I will not be able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Phoenix park is about 5 miles in, lots of bushes in there and lots of people use them. There were portaloos also around 16 miles in (around rathgar I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Portaloos at all the water stations, according to the FAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

RayCun wrote: »
    Portaloos at all the water stations, according to the FAQ

Perfect

i would be sure if you seen someone at their gate/door cheering you on would let you use the toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

12 mile LSR this morning (my running week works a little later to most).

This time I did the latter section of the course to the finish line (templeogue, Milltown, clonskeag to finish line) testing out new gels (honey stinger, Elvery's all out of kenetica, did the job), but more importantly to take the mystery out of the Clonskeagh hill.

So here is the verdict. You come into Clonskeagh after a bit you have a long (slight) incline. At 2 occasions when I met a rise I thought, "So, this is the famous hill??" and powered on no bother (sniggering) Then I hit the actual hill which gave me a reality check. But while it is steep, it doesn't go on forever, definitely do-able and if you know its coming you will charge right up it, just keep a strong in the knowledge that there is a nice long downhill stretch after it to enjoy. Very glad i've done it at least once now, even though I know I will be much much more tired doing it on the big day.

I would highly recommend it for anyone who runs around the Dublin area. Conquer those hills and you know what’s in store when it counts.

Advertisement