Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

tomred1N wrote: »
    Hi all, following this thread since june. Brief overview, male,37, 14 stone, started running in march this year after being inactive for years after finishing gaa. was gone over 16 stone at one stage. bought a lab dog and walked her a 5mile route most days and bit by bit started running it. just csme accross this thread in june and i said i'd give it a go to put some structure on my running. thought i would pack it in when mileage got big but to my surprise i have followed the plan 100% so far and after the 18 mile lsr 2 weeks ago i signed up for the marathon. problem is i have never ran a race not even a 5k and have done all my running on country roads on my own where i loop around or drop water in ditch etc where i can pick it up. i used few gels on lsr recently but was wondering are these handed out on marathon route. i carry nothing with me except my phone in a belt for the endomondo. do i need to carry gels myself? With regard to day of marathon how long before do you need to be at start?i plan to try and follow 4.30 time pacers. This is based on my lsrs 18 mile took me 3.02 hours. i did run a 10k in 52 mins about a month ago as it was raining so hard i pushed on a bit. All my running is on hilly undulating runs round west cork countryside so hopefully will have benefits. however every time u go up a hill u have the other side to look forward to! I have found this thread invaluable and it has kept me going reading everyones progress so far. As a complete novice to running a race im hoping to pick peoples brains over next few weeks. Thanks

How are ya :)
    sounds like you're good for 4.15 pace especially with the rolling hills experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Hi all
    Been following thread for past few weeks and should really have joined in earlier but now will do.
    21, 13 stone. decided to run DCM as i wanted something to aim for over the summer while not working and not at college.
    Im using a programme that admittedly was one of the first ones i saw after googling running marathon for first time.
    All my trainings been on quite hilly routes and have done a few races. did a 6k in moneygall in 30mins(was meant to be 5k but when the race organisers went out and actually checked the distance of the route they found it was 6k
    Also did a 10k on quite a hilly route in 55mins so any hills on the marathon route shouldnt be much of a problem.
    Aiming for around 4.30hrs but finishing is main aim and time isnt a real issue
    thanks again to everyone who has contributed to the thread. Its helped me in many ways throughout the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Hi all, following this thread since june. Brief overview, male,37, 14 stone, started running in march this year after being inactive for years after finishing gaa. was gone over 16 stone at one stage. bought a lab dog and walked her a 5mile route most days and bit by bit started running it. just csme accross this thread in june and i said i'd give it a go to put some structure on my running. thought i would pack it in when mileage got big but to my surprise i have followed the plan 100% so far and after the 18 mile lsr 2 weeks ago i signed up for the marathon. problem is i have never ran a race not even a 5k and have done all my running on country roads on my own where i loop around or drop water in ditch etc where i can pick it up. i used few gels on lsr recently but was wondering are these handed out on marathon route. i carry nothing with me except my phone in a belt for the endomondo. do i need to carry gels myself? With regard to day of marathon how long before do you need to be at start?i plan to try and follow 4.30 time pacers. This is based on my lsrs 18 mile took me 3.02 hours. i did run a 10k in 52 mins about a month ago as it was raining so hard i pushed on a bit. All my running is on hilly undulating runs round west cork countryside so hopefully will have benefits. however every time u go up a hill u have the other side to look forward to! I have found this thread invaluable and it has kept me going reading everyones progress so far. As a complete novice to running a race im hoping to pick peoples brains over next few weeks. Thanks

Well done on the running and on getting to 18miles - its no small feat.
    Regarding the gels, they do have the High 5 gels - I think this year they'll have the ISO High 5 gels too.
    Its always best to try carry your own though and not rely on finding them on the course as they are not at every aid station and may be all gone when you arrive.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

So had my first session with the physio last night, it wasn’t actually as bad as I expected! He was lovely and explained what he was doing and why he was doing it. My muscles weren’t that bad actually, there was some tightness in my hamstrings, especially high up and my glutes, he thinks this could be causing the sciatica type pains I have been having. My left IT band was quite tight, but not all that bad considering the lack of stretching I do.

He showed me some stretches to do and reckons that should help me. He also recommended the Epsom salt baths, especially last night after the deep tissue massage. He recommended that I don’t run for 48 hours after it, which I thought was a bit over cautious at the time, but my legs are a bit tired and sore this morning, so he might have a point! It was painful, but not unbearable, I would really recommend it to any body who is experiencing niggles or even just leg fatigue. The worst thing about it is that I have some bruises where he was massaging! But I do bruise very easily.

He recommended another deep tissue massage about a week before the marathon, which I think I will do, because my legs feel lovely and loose today. I reckon it will really help with the 20 mile LSR at the weekend. Oh, it cost €50 if anyone is wondering about the going rate, I think it was definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

FiiFii wrote: »
    Red Line Luas starts from 07.10 on Bank Hols so should be in town by 8- If you're in Lucan the Citywest stop not too far in car if can get a lift or there's a free car park beside Citywest business campus so could drive down, leave the car and pick up next day (or ask someone to pick up for you at a more reasonable hour..)

Thanks FiiFii, I'll look into the Luas. I guess the late start for the buses may impact on a lot of folks living in the Dublin area.

• Advertisement

Welcome to the thread Tom, fair play for getting from zero running to 18 miles in 6 months, that’s really impressive! And well done on the weight loss too.

With regards to what time to get to the starting line, I plan to be there about 30-45 mins before the start. I don’t want to be there too early, standing around getting cold and nervous! But likewise, don’t want to be running late and ending up in a panic! I am staying in a hotel about a mile away, so I won’t have traffic or public transport to think about.

I would definitely carry your own gels, it’s a bit of trial and error getting a gel that you like and that agrees with you. Maybe use this weekends LSR to get used to taking them. Some people are carrying water, but I am not going to bother. There are plenty of water stations and water is heavy to carry. I have a water belt in which I will bring 4 gels, a power bar, some jelly babies and my phone. I am used to carrying the belt as I use it on my LSR’s, I would really recommend you get used to carrying things before the actual event. You don’t want to turn up on the day and find that your belt gives you blisters or rubs in a painful place!

Good Points ncmc.

Got me thinking about what sort of things people should carry around with them on the day!.
    Last year I had a belt that had Gels, plasters for blisters, nurofen(as I had ITB before hand) and one of those tight bandages that came in useful when I cramped up on 18miles and limped home :-(

This year I wont carry a belt - I have shorts with a lot of pockets in them, so I'll just have gels and sports beans - maybe a plaster, just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

My doctor - selected quotes from today.

"You didn't see a real physio - a sports injury phsyio isn't a real chartered physio. They know best"

"Pain is your bodys way of telling you to stop"

"You probably don't have a stress fracture - it's just you're reaching too far"

"If you started feeling pain after increasing your mileage to 16 miles then it's time to think again about your distances and stick to running 10ks or half marathons. You're probably not capable of doing anything longer"

"You need to stop running"

"Even if it isn't a stress fracture you're as good as out of the marathon"

"But you could think about it for next year"

:mad:

Me

"$£%£ off and give me a referral letter for an X-Ray" (ok so I didn't go with the $%%£ off but I was so tempted)

I'm going to bring my marathon medal down and dance around the surgery even if I have to hobble 26 miles on crutches. :)

Hoping to get an xray done tomorrow. The fact it is a potential fracture means I get seen to straight away so I will hopefully know the extent of the damage by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Well done on the running and on getting to 18miles - its no small feat.
    Regarding the gels, they do have the High 5 gels - I think this year they'll have the ISO High 5 gels too.
    Its always best to try carry your own though and not rely on finding them on the course as they are not at every aid station and may be all gone when you arrive.
    Best of luck!

Would someone know where to get ISO High 5 gels around blanchardstown? I'd like to try during this weekend LSR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

"You didn't see a real physio - a sports injury phsyio isn't a real chartered physio. They know best"

"If you started feeling pain after increasing your mileage to 16 miles then it's time to think again about your distances and stick to running 10ks or half marathons. You're probably not capable of doing anything longer"

Me

"$£%£ off and give me a referral letter for an X-Ray" (ok so I didn't go with the $%%£ off but I was so tempted)

I'm going to bring my marathon medal down and dance around the surgery even if I have to hobble 26 miles on crutches. :)

Hoping to get an xray done tomorrow. The fact it is a potential fracture means I get seen to straight away so I will hopefully know the extent of the damage by the weekend.

sounding suspiciously like TAPER MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!

Dont go pushing it, PM! there will be other marathons.

• Advertisement

lmguillou wrote: »
    Would someone know where to get ISO High 5 gels around blanchardstown? I'd like to try during this weekend LSR.
    The health shop in the center has them - not H&B, the other one (at least they had lat year).

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Me

Would not be happy being told "You're probably not capable of doing anything longer". That's a BS thing to say, there are pensioners running marathons. I'd have the xray and see what physio says after that.

Me

I know you don’t want to hear this PM, but if I were you, I’d really be listening to your doctor and thinking very carefully about doing this marathon. Only you know your body, but it sounds like you are going to really struggle with the pain during the marathon and will have a horrible experience. Your first marathon is supposed to be an enjoyable experience, I would worry that you will be absolutely miserable and in agony and end up having a horrific first marathon.

I know it’s hard to give up the dream when you’ve put so much hard work in, but you wouldn’t be going back to square one, you’d be in great shape for a spring marathon. I know you have a little bundle on the way so that’s not as straight forward as it sounds!

Just have a think about it, htfu is great and all, but you don’t want to ignore your body and end up doing some serious damage. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

sassyj wrote: »
    Would not be happy being told "You're probably not capable of doing anything longer". That's a BS thing to say, there are pensioners running marathons. I'd have the xray and see what physio says after that.
    Funny, my physio said the same thing last night, he said some peoples bodies aren’t suited for long distance running, for example if the the hips are slightly out of alignment, it will tend to cause lots of injuries as the mileage increases. It’s not a case of age or anything like that, it’s more peoples physiological makeup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

ncmc wrote: »

Me

I know you don’t want to hear this PM, but if I were you, I’d really be listening to your doctor and thinking very carefully about doing this marathon. Only you know your body, but it sounds like you are going to really struggle with the pain during the marathon and will have a horrible experience. Your first marathon is supposed to be an enjoyable experience, I would worry that you will be absolutely miserable and in agony and end up having a horrific first marathon.

I know it’s hard to give up the dream when you’ve put so much hard work in, but you wouldn’t be going back to square one, you’d be in great shape for a spring marathon. I know you have a little bundle on the way so that’s not as straight forward as it sounds!

Just have a think about it, htfu is great and all, but you don’t want to ignore your body and end up doing some serious damage. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

+1 to this PM, listen to your body if its telling you something. Don't end doing serious damage to yourself, its not worth it. Theres plenty of marathons you could do in future when your injury clears up, you have come on leaps & bounds since you started running. Don't mess that all up by running on an injury and having to start all over again in 6 months time. Think, would you like to be running DCM next year with 2 little PM's cheering you on or sitting on your ass. I think i know your answer. Best of luck with your x-ray & decision man.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Any of our mentors / experienced marathoners here be able to let us know how we will feel after the race? I'm talking a couple of hours after, fatigue wise, stiff, sore etc; I'd like to go out with my wife & kids for a bit of a meal, not a late thing & no pints but theres no point in booking somewhere if I'll be superglued to the couch or bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Funny, my physio said the same thing last night, he said some peoples bodies aren’t suited for long distance running, for example if the the hips are slightly out of alignment, it will tend to cause lots of injuries as the mileage increases. It’s not a case of age or anything like that, it’s more peoples physiological makeup.

I thought that for a long time too as I was picking up injury after injury but with a bit of help from a physio in relation to stretching, a change in running shoes & advice from a friend on training I'm hopefully proving myself wrong in a few weeks.
    I hope everything works out for you PM but you could do more damage if its not right - as you well know 26 miles is a long way without an injury not to mind with one. If I was in your situation right now I know that I'd be thinking the same way as you though - still theres nearly 4 weeks left to go so all is not lost yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Any of our mentors / experienced marathoners here be able to let us know how we will feel after the race? I'm talking a couple of hours after, fatigue wise, stiff, sore etc; I'd like to go out with my wife & kids for a bit of a meal, not a late thing & no pints but theres no point in booking somewhere if I'll be superglued to the couch or bed!

I did my first and only so marathon so far last year. Was very stiff, a bit sore, hobbling, afraid my legs were going to cramp up all the time, pretty knackered........ couldn't have enjoyed (or deserved!) my steak and beers anymore!! Definitely book somewhere. You will be buzzing with the achievement and hoping people ask why you are shuffling to the bathroom so you can tell them you just ran the marathon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

So had my first session with the physio last night, it wasn’t actually as bad as I expected! He was lovely and explained what he was doing and why he was doing it. My muscles weren’t that bad actually, there was some tightness in my hamstrings, especially high up and my glutes, he thinks this could be causing the sciatica type pains I have been having. My left IT band was quite tight, but not all that bad considering the lack of stretching I do.

He showed me some stretches to do and reckons that should help me. He also recommended the Epsom salt baths, especially last night after the deep tissue massage. He recommended that I don’t run for 48 hours after it, which I thought was a bit over cautious at the time, but my legs are a bit tired and sore this morning, so he might have a point! It was painful, but not unbearable, I would really recommend it to any body who is experiencing niggles or even just leg fatigue. The worst thing about it is that I have some bruises where he was massaging! But I do bruise very easily.

He recommended another deep tissue massage about a week before the marathon, which I think I will do, because my legs feel lovely and loose today. I reckon it will really help with the 20 mile LSR at the weekend. Oh, it cost €50 if anyone is wondering about the going rate, I think it was definitely worth it.
    Do you mind me asking where u went ? He sounds good.

dechol wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where u went ? He sounds good.
    I'm based near Fermoy dechol, his name is David Pyne in Fermoy, he used to work with the Cork hurling team, so he must be good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

Me

I never like doctors for injuries that relate to sports. They wouldn't be specialised and their answer to most things is drugs and rest and here is a few days off.

maybe go to a sports clinic and they might send you for a referral for mri.

my physio is great the times i have gone and herself. he tries to keep you going even if small runs and he knows that you want out there and not sitting scratching your backside.

I'd go see someone else to be honest and don't give up the hope

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Well I just finished my 20 and i've run straight into the pub and am tucking into my lunch, which after the morning I've had is hitting the spot. Yes my legs are screaming and I probably won't be able to stand back up though!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭breffni blue

You will be stiff and sore after the marathon, the best thing to do is to kept moving, you'll be on a high anyway so you'll thinking about your achievement and not on pain, the best thing to do after a marathon is go for a walk...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

One run down three to go for this week. I am kinda nervous/excited about the 20 mile planned for saturday, the 18 mile 2 weeks ago was ok so hopefully all will be well.
    For the 5 mile run yesterday I chickened out of facing the lashing rain and went to the gym and did the run on a treadmill. Was that cheating?
    Anyway will make sure 10 mile tonight is outside come what may.

Getting close now. Booked hotel last night for the night before the marathon so starting to feel real now. Hopefully the next few weeks (especially this weekend) training will get us over the line.

For people who have done this before assuming I can do 20 miles on saturday how much harder will 26 miles be. I am worried about getting a bit too complacent about the last 6 miles on the big day which will be unknown territory for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

With training going well and the big day looming, people were asking me how they would get to see me doing the marathon: "When will you be going through Terenure Village etc?

I went looking for a street-by-street route map - found one - and came up with a spreadsheet which allows you to enter:
    a) your starting time - (row 5 or so.)
    b) your pace per km (an optimistic and a pessimistic one - row 80 or so).

This in turn will estimate your arrival at each street along the route, which will give you family an idea what time to be at their proposed location.

One of the main weaknesses of the s/s is that it assumes a consistent pace.
    Feel free to use it, if you think its any good. If you think its rubbish, keep it to yourself. If you have suggestions how I could bulid in a negative split for the 2nd half, i'm all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

SnailsPace wrote: »
    With training going well and the big day looming, people were asking me how they would get to see me doing the marathon: "When will you be going through Terenure Village etc?

I went looking for a street-by-street route map - found one - and came up with a spreadsheet which allows you to enter:
    a) your starting time - (row 5 or so.)
    b) your pace per km (an optimistic and a pessimistic one - row 80 or so).

This in turn will estimate your arrival at each street along the route, which will give you family an idea what time to be at there proposed location.

One of the main weaknesses of the s/s is that it assumes a consistent pace.
    Feel free to use it, if you think its any good. If you think its rubbish, keep it to yourself. If you have suggestions how I could bulid in a negative split for the 2nd half, i'm all ears.

Brilliant! thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There's a similar thing on the marathon web site
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/general_course.php

It's not interactive, it's just wheelchairs going at 4 min/mile, first wave men at 5s, first wave women at 6s, second wave runners at 10s, third wave at 17s...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

RayCun wrote: »
    There's a similar thing on the marathon web site
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/general_course.php

It's not interactive, it's just wheelchairs going at 4 min/mile, first wave men at 5s, first wave women at 6s, second wave runners at 10s, third wave at 17s...

Thats where I 'stole' the street names from, but found I wanted something more accurate for family etc..

With family and friends heading in from knocklyon/firhouse area, I wanted to give them the ability to see me twice, avoid traffic etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

This may give you some idea....think Raycun posted it in 2011 thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

This may give you some idea....think Raycun posted it in 2011 thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I
    has only happened to me after the half, not any of my longer runs strangle.

im staying in bed the following day. No one can see your bleedy nips in bed

Advertisement