Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

ncmc wrote: »
    dechol wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where u went ? He sounds good.
    I'm based near Fermoy dechol, his name is David Pyne in Fermoy, he used to work with the Cork hurling team, so he must be good!
    Thanks. Not near me then. :( anyone recommend a physio In Dublin 8 or 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

This may give you some idea....think Raycun posted it in 2011 thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I

That's very funny, I laughed out loud & people are now looking at me! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's very funny, I laughed out loud & people are now looking at me! Thanks.

Pretty true though, after my first marathon I had to go down the stairs in UCD backwards the next day...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

When we were boarding our plane back from Edinburgh it was easy see anyone who'd run the marathon - hobbling down the steps to the tarmac and back up the steps of the plane. The clever ones flew Aer Lingus and got the air bridge to spare them the steps. Couple of days later though the stiffness was gone - probably helped by having to walk miles to the bus after the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

The 3/4 marathon in Athlone on Sunday is closing for entries at midnight tonight. No entries on the day so if anybody is thinking of joining us now is the time to do it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

The 3/4 marathon in Athlone on Sunday is closing for entries at midnight tonight. No entries on the day so if anybody is thinking of joining us now is the time to do it :D

Really cannot decide whether to do this or just stay in Dublin and do a 20miler around the dcm course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

SnailsPace wrote: »
    Really cannot decide whether to do this or just stay in Dublin and do a 20miler around the dcm course

It's much easier doing it as a race instead of slogging around by yourself....that's my thoughts on it anyway!

DO IT DO IT DO IT :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

If ye need some tips on good local watering holes i have inside knowledge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

With training going well and the big day looming, people were asking me how they would get to see me doing the marathon: "When will you be going through Terenure Village etc?

I went looking for a street-by-street route map - found one - and came up with a spreadsheet which allows you to enter:
    a) your starting time - (row 5 or so.)
    b) your pace per km (an optimistic and a pessimistic one - row 80 or so).

This in turn will estimate your arrival at each street along the route, which will give you family an idea what time to be at their proposed location.

One of the main weaknesses of the s/s is that it assumes a consistent pace.
    Feel free to use it, if you think its any good. If you think its rubbish, keep it to yourself. If you have suggestions how I could bulid in a negative split for the 2nd half, i'm all ears.

Thanks for this - be v handy. Got family living in Templeogue are so already warned them I expect support on the way so they might appreciate not waiting an hour (in what will prob be cold & rain..:() just to see me for 1 min... And after all the stories of hitting the dreaded 'wall' at around the 20m mark, my OH has been (kindly) instructed to be there for me with food & drink in case I need a boost :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

rasher_m wrote: »
    tomred1N wrote: »
    Hi all, following this thread since june. Brief overview, male,37, 14 stone, started running in march this year after being inactive for years after finishing gaa. was gone over 16 stone at one stage. bought a lab dog and walked her a 5mile route most days and bit by bit started running it. just csme accross this thread in june and i said i'd give it a go to put some structure on my running. thought i would pack it in when mileage got big but to my surprise i have followed the plan 100% so far and after the 18 mile lsr 2 weeks ago i signed up for the marathon. problem is i have never ran a race not even a 5k and have done all my running on country roads on my own where i loop around or drop water in ditch etc where i can pick it up. i used few gels on lsr recently but was wondering are these handed out on marathon route. i carry nothing with me except my phone in a belt for the endomondo. do i need to carry gels myself? With regard to day of marathon how long before do you need to be at start?i plan to try and follow 4.30 time pacers. This is based on my lsrs 18 mile took me 3.02 hours. i did run a 10k in 52 mins about a month ago as it was raining so hard i pushed on a bit. All my running is on hilly undulating runs round west cork countryside so hopefully will have benefits. however every time u go up a hill u have the other side to look forward to! I have found this thread invaluable and it has kept me going reading everyones progress so far. As a complete novice to running a race im hoping to pick peoples brains over next few weeks. Thanks

How are ya :)
    sounds like you're good for 4.15 pace especially with the rolling hills experience.

thanks rasher i didn't realise dcm was all downhill! Anyway did the 10 miles this evening and i could not believe what happened. i did it in 88 mins and never felt as good, previous best was 95mins for 10 miles in august. i rarley run as fast as i can but after first 2 miles i said ill test what training i have done do far. amazed at result. thats it now i wont push again until final 6 of the marathon hopefully. i still think i will follow 4.30 pacers as i am in unknown territory over 20 miles and was feeling it at 18 two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

dechol wrote: »
    Thanks. Not near me then. :( anyone recommend a physio In Dublin 8 or 6?

I went to the physio in Ranelagh Medical Centre a few times. Her name is Emer, and she came recommended to me by my GP. Very friendly and seems to know her stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Another Wednesday evening, another midweek longish run. 10 miles tonight.

Don't know about the rest of the country this evening, but it absolutely lashed out of the heavens for a lot 5.30pm to 7pm in Dublin. On and off. Didn't bother me though - I love running in the rain! I love resigning myself to the fact I'm going to get wet, and get a kick out of watching non runners huddling under umbrellas trying to stay dry. I love gliding past rush hour traffic as cars sit with their wipers on, and the drivers looking miserable. Running in the rain seems to give me a tremendous sense of freedom!

So off I went. I wore my marathon 'outfit', to make sure it would be okay in heavy rain. No problems at all. Perfectly comfortable. The run itself was okay. Couple of niggles, but nothing new or unexpected. I'm really looking forward to tapering after Saturday, to give my body time to cool down a bit.

I'll see how I feel tomorrow re the 5 mile. I don't want to sacrifice or put Saturday's LSR in jeopardy for the sake of getting a 5 miler in tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Any of our mentors / experienced marathoners here be able to let us know how we will feel after the race? I'm talking a couple of hours after, fatigue wise, stiff, sore etc; I'd like to go out with my wife & kids for a bit of a meal, not a late thing & no pints but theres no point in booking somewhere if I'll be superglued to the couch or bed!

After my first (& only) marathon I got a lovely massage by physios at the finish line. Had a 1/2 mile walk back to baggage area. This was slow but I think this walk & the massage really helped me. Had OH on hand to have sandwiches and hoody at finish line which I really needed. Body got cold very fast. Then we went for dinner and vino about an hour later. When I got home I had a long soak in bath. On a high that day. Stiffness set in when I eventually sat down. Little stiff & tired the next day and walking stairs was a little painful. Had booked a massage for 2 days later which was lovely. Was on a high all that week and would say the tiredness kicked in the second week. Can't wait to do it all over again!

Will there be physios/sport therapists at finish line offering massages? Also what pace do the 3.45 pacers go at? Is it 8.35 min/miles

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

That clip is so funny!!!:D

Thankfully I wasn't like that last time, though walking down stairs was tough going!!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Back to physio today. Knee is improving as is the tension in the ITB. Still no midweek running but given the all clear for the 20miler on Sunday. Still need alot of stretching/icing/rolling. If that goes well i can go back to some of the shorter runs next week but looks like I shouldn't have any problems making the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

rasher_m wrote: »
    Hi all, following this thread since june. Brief overview, male,37, 14 stone, started running in march this year after being inactive for years after finishing gaa. was gone over 16 stone at one stage. bought a lab dog and walked her a 5mile route most days and bit by bit started running it. just csme accross this thread in june and i said i'd give it a go to put some structure on my running. thought i would pack it in when mileage got big but to my surprise i have followed the plan 100% so far and after the 18 mile lsr 2 weeks ago i signed up for the marathon. problem is i have never ran a race not even a 5k and have done all my running on country roads on my own where i loop around or drop water in ditch etc where i can pick it up. i used few gels on lsr recently but was wondering are these handed out on marathon route. i carry nothing with me except my phone in a belt for the endomondo. do i need to carry gels myself? With regard to day of marathon how long before do you need to be at start?i plan to try and follow 4.30 time pacers. This is based on my lsrs 18 mile took me 3.02 hours. i did run a 10k in 52 mins about a month ago as it was raining so hard i pushed on a bit. All my running is on hilly undulating runs round west cork countryside so hopefully will have benefits. however every time u go up a hill u have the other side to look forward to! I have found this thread invaluable and it has kept me going reading everyones progress so far. As a complete novice to running a race im hoping to pick peoples brains over next few weeks. Thanks

How are ya :)
    sounds like you're good for 4.15 pace especially with the rolling hills experience.

thanks rasher i didn't realise dcm was all downhill! Anyway did the 10 miles this evening and i could not believe what happened. i did it in 88 mins and never felt as good, previous best was 95mins for 10 miles in august. i rarley run as fast as i can but after first 2 miles i said ill test what training i have done do far. amazed at result. thats it now i wont push again until final 6 of the marathon hopefully. i still think i will follow 4.30 pacers as i am in unknown territory over 20 miles and was feeling it at 18 two weeks ago.
    Amazing story and fair play to you, felt total admiration for u whilst reading this, all that training on your own, it's a credit to u n u shud b so proud of urself! Well done and best wishes. I'm new to running too only running since end April but have company to train with n have done good few races including 2 half marathons during this time n have had company on all my long runs this past 6-8 weeks. Well done u!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

I did it.. I did it.. I did it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

"You need to stop running"

If your doctor know you well (and I will assume you have a good relationship with your GP) you might consider at least stopping until you know what's wrong.

Quite frankly, the idea of running on a suspected stress fracture, or anything else that makes running painful and unenjoyable, is mad.

I think, PM, you may have to suck it up and drop out of this year's race. For your own good.

Best of luck whatever you decide:)

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Well I just finished my 20 and i've run straight into the pub and am tucking into my lunch

What, not even a quick shower? Good for you - I think you're my hero(ine) already.

• Advertisement

joe40 wrote: »
    For the 5 mile run yesterday I chickened out of facing the lashing rain and went to the gym and did the run on a treadmill. Was that cheating?

Not so much cheating as bad planning. What are you going to do if it's bucketing down on Oct 29 at 9am?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

murphd77 wrote: »
    Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Well I just finished my 20 and i've run straight into the pub and am tucking into my lunch

What, not even a quick shower? Good for you - I think you're my hero(ine) already.

No shower I past the pub serving lunch at 19 miles and ran around the block until 20 so I could go in, I did feel a bit sorry for the people at the table next to me, I didn't look or smell my best!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

"You need to stop running"

If your doctor know you well (and I will assume you have a good relationship with your GP) you might consider at least stopping until you know what's wrong.

Quite frankly, the idea of running on a suspected stress fracture, or anything else that makes running painful and unenjoyable, is mad.

I think, PM, you may have to suck it up and drop out of this year's race. For your own good.

Best of luck whatever you decide:)

If it was my regular doc I'd be more inclined to listen. It was a locum I ended up seeing who never met me before. That's why the negativity annoyed me. :)
    I haven't ran properly in two weeks so yeah have stopped until I know what's the exact situation. The other thing is although its painful it's not absolute agony. Once it started acting up I stopped to get it looked at / treated. Sitting in the hospital now whilst the radiographer decides if I am worthy of an immediate X-ray. I feckin better be !

I have had quite a few people call me mad (and worse!) have also had quite a few think I'm right to push through it. Those who know me in real life as such know I am very stubborn so even the people calling me an idiot are expecting me to go ahead anyway.

I can make a more informed decision once the fracture is confirmed or hopefully not confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

niteowl1 wrote: »
    Will there be physios/sport therapists at finish line offering massages? Also what pace do the 3.45 pacers go at? Is it 8.35 min/miles

Yes, but the queues will be massive. They'll be running 8.34 min/mile, aiming to get in at 3.44.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

1 thing I am looking forward to when dcm is over is running my own distances and days.

My plan is to work on speed after it is over.

Like to great down to 45mins for 10km and 21-22 mins for 5km

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

RayCun wrote: »
    Yes, but the queues will be massive. They'll be running 8.34 min/mile, aiming to get in at 3.44.30.

my physio usually does it. I'll have to inform people I have an appointment and skip the queue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Not so much cheating as bad planning. What are you going to do if it's bucketing down on Oct 29 at 9am?
    I think at this stage we have all done our fair share of running in the rain. I don’t think anyone is going to bail on the big day just because it’s raining!
    joe40 wrote: »
    For the 5 mile run yesterday I chickened out of facing the lashing rain and went to the gym and did the run on a treadmill. Was that cheating?
    Anyway will make sure 10 mile tonight is outside come what may.
    I don’t think it’s cheating to do the odd run on the treadmill, I think we all deserve kudos for doing any kind of mid week runs on these cold dark evenings when everyone else is sitting down to Downton Abbey with a cuppa!
    Trampas wrote: »
    1 thing I am looking forward to when dcm is over is running my own distances and days.

My plan is to work on speed after it is over.

Like to great down to 45mins for 10km and 21-22 mins for 5km
    +1’000’000 to this, it will be so nice to be able to do our own thing. My hubby has just started the couch to 5k and I accompanied him on one of his sessions last week, it was so nice just to go for a short jog and not be obsessed with checking the Garmin every five seconds to check my pace etc! I think I will try and continue with the 4 runs a week, but I intend to cut the mileage to less than 20 per week for the winter months. I still have it in my head to do Cork in June, so that would mean starting training again in February. But we’ll see how I go, it’s not even the physical training, it’s more the time commitment and mental commitment that the marathon requires that would leave me nervous about doing another so soon.

I'd like to do Cork as well next year. Its a big commitment though....will have to see how things go!

Fingers crossed for you today Pageant. I hope you hear that there's no fracture and that you'll be able to go ahead with Dublin even if its at a slower pace than you would like. I'd be stubborn like that as well and I guess at the end of the day you know best what you can put yourself through

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'd like to do Cork as well next year. Its a big commitment though....will have to see how things go!

Fingers crossed for you today Pageant. I hope you hear that there's no fracture and that you'll be able to go ahead with Dublin even if its at a slower pace than you would like. I'd be stubborn like that as well and I guess at the end of the day you know best what you can put yourself through

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional"
    Cork is great as there is a half and also a relay on the day, so there's a good turn out and great support and atmosphere. It's a nice flat course too. Only problem with the June BH weekend is that the weather can be very hot. It was perfect this year, but 2 years ago it was incredibly hot, so extra difficulty there.

Meant to ask, are you treating the Athlone 3/4 as a race or a LSR? I was half tempted to do the Cork to Cobh race this weekend (15 miles and tack a few miles on either end) but I know I'd be too tempted to race it and I don't think I want the strain of a race at this late stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

After the 10k on Monday I was out for 10 miles yesterday evening & have to say I felt a bit sluggish:( I did it in 1.31 but I dont have a garmin so the distance is guesstimate of exactly how far it was, I have a normal route that I've measured in the car which is just over 11k & I put another loop on which I know is over 4.5:eek: Anyway I was feeling drained after a few miles but slogged on to the finish, i took a small bottle of water with me & added some of a high5 sachet for a bit of flavour - it wasnt bad but it wasnt great either to be honest.I did my usual stretching etc after but I feel a bit sore & sorry this morning - I think that the mileage is maybe starting to catch up with me or something but I cant say that I'm looking forward to the 5 miles this evening:confused:.In my own head I was running at a handy enough pace but I was definately feeling it towards the finish.
    By choice I've done all the training on my own as I didnt want to be slowing people down plus with kids & everything that goes with them I can run at a time & pace that suits me etc plus I'm happy out once I have the ipod on & doing my own thing.However, a friend of mine whos in the same boat with kids, work etc is also doing Dublin -he's also done all the training himself & weve arranged to do the 20 miles together this weekend so it should be interesting as to how I get on as he's looking at 3.50 marathon & I'd be more like 4.15 - 4.30. He's done Dublin before & he also has a garmin so I'll probably have a better indication of pace etc after Saturday -cant say that I 'm looking forward to it after last night.I'm a good listener though as I dont think I'll be doing a lot of talkig after a few miles. As someone that started this process on the Oct bank holiday Monday last year I will be happy when its 2pm next Oct bank holiday Monday for sure. Time for a few HTFU's moments me thinks:mad::mad:

Advertisement