Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

ncmc wrote: »
    Meant to ask, are you treating the Athlone 3/4 as a race or a LSR? I was half tempted to do the Cork to Cobh race this weekend (15 miles and tack a few miles on either end) but I know I'd be too tempted to race it and I don't think I want the strain of a race at this late stage.

Think im going to go like 15-30seconds slower than PMP and see how i get on for Athlone 3/4. If im feeling good i might go PMP for second half of it then....just to test the waters. All my runs after Sunday will be very slow so should have sufficient recovery time before the marathon i would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Hass anyone soar feet, like a burning sensation under the fore foot after a certain mileage? I always had this despite changing shoes but it usually occured after 18-20k. Now it seems to come earlier and earlier, went last night for 13k and after 8k my feet were burning! Could that be my shoes? I can really afford new ones so soon I just changed them in August, is there any cooling cream existing to apply before the race? What I noticed is during the 20miles I did under the rain last week, my shoes were soaked and the feet were much less soar ( unless I was so focused on the cold rain going to my bones !) should I water my shoes before the race? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

lmguillou wrote: »
    Hass anyone soar feet, like a burning sensation under the fore foot after a certain mileage? I always had this despite changing shoes but it usually occured after 18-20k. Now it seems to come earlier and earlier, went last night for 13k and after 8k my feet were burning! Could that be my shoes? I can really afford new ones so soon I just changed them in August, is there any cooling cream existing to apply before the race? What I noticed is during the 20miles I did under the rain last week, my shoes were soaked and the feet were much less soar ( unless I was so focused on the cold rain going to my bones !) should I water my shoes before the race? :)

What type of socks are you wearing? That might be your problem

dazza21ie wrote: »
    What type of socks are you wearing? That might be your problem

I tried several, last night was with 1000 mile ones with cushioning and that was worse that usual. Would you recommend any particular brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

X-Ray done. Official result goes to the doctor in 7-10 days but the unofficial quick glance from the doctor on duty says no sign of fracture. :):):):):):):):):):)

Granted am still in pain but sore muscles and ligaments are a) easier to run on and b) heal a lot quicker.

Back to the physio I go.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

I wear these Nike ankle socks - theyre the very light ones & I've never had a problem.I normally buy the bigger size, I'm a size 9 1/2 shoe with a wide fitting so I buy the ones for size 11 - 14 because I find that the smaller size tend to slip down inside the running shoe.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/BNWT-NIKE-3-PAIRS-NO-SHOW-TRAINER-ANKLE-SOCKS-/221047607248?pt=UK_Men_s_Socks&var=&hash=item791873808c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

i don't think the air helped with running yesterday evening. very damp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

X-Ray done. Official result goes to the doctor in 7-10 days but the unofficial quick glance from the doctor on duty says no sign of fracture. :):):):):):):):):):)

Granted am still in pain but sore muscles and ligaments are a) easier to run on and b) heal a lot quicker.

Delighted for you PM, great news. DCM here you come!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Great news PM,keep it handy though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I tried several, last night was with 1000 mile ones with cushioning and that was worse that usual. Would you recommend any particular brand?
    I won’t bore you with my rant about the 1000 mile socks, but the shortened version is that I bought a pair of the ‘no blisters guaranteed’ pair, handed over 14 of my hard earned euros. I had been having no problem with blisters before I bought them, but had heard they were like heaven on your feet, so off I go on my first LSR in them – get blisters :(. Thought it might just be a coincidence, so didn’t wear them again for a couple of week, let the blisters heal, wore them again – blisters :mad:. Basically every time I’ve worn them, they’ve given me blisters, haven’t had a problem when I’ve been wearing my ordinary cheapie socks. So long story short (too late I hear you say!:D) I would not recommend the 1000 mile socks at all. I am going to pick up some new pairs in Lidl or Aldi and wear those, have had no problems at all with those in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

I've actually found the reverse and that the 1000 mile socks do make a difference.
    Never got blisters before but bought the 1000 mile socks as the mileage increasing would be new territory. Still no blisters.

Am away with work this week - forgot them - did just 10km yesterday and voila! a massive blister on the inside of my right foot... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

im the same as ncmc, 1000 mile socks are the ones which gave me blisters. not happy at all. I went back to a lighter cycling socks which are comfortable and did 0 harm so far.

they are my race socks!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

I'd like to do Cork as well next year. Its a big commitment though....will have to see how things go!

I'd like to give this one a try as well. My wife is from Cork and her mother's house is along the route. I've run some of the route as a training run for DCM while I was down there visiting. the part I ran was pretty flat.

It would be good to have another goal after DCM to keep myself motivated. I am planning on running a 5K as I have never raced at that distance before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I swear by 1000 mile socks as well. They are the only one's i wear and dont get blisters.

I guess its trial and error for the individual!

I won’t bore you with my rant about the 1000 mile socks, but the shortened version is that I bought a pair of the ‘no blisters guaranteed’ pair, handed over 14 of my hard earned euros. I had been having no problem with blisters before I bought them, but had heard they were like heaven on your feet, so off I go on my first LSR in them – get blisters :(. Thought it might just be a coincidence, so didn’t wear them again for a couple of week, let the blisters heal, wore them again – blisters :mad:. Basically every time I’ve worn them, they’ve given me blisters, haven’t had a problem when I’ve been wearing my ordinary cheapie socks. So long story short (too late I hear you say!:D) I would not recommend the 1000 mile socks at all. I am going to pick up some new pairs in Lidl or Aldi and wear those, have had no problems at all with those in the past.

I don't get blisters with any socks ( Except the first run with new shoes ),my problem is the pain underneath below the fore foot/ toes, it heating after a while, just wondering if this is a problem of cushioning...

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

blockic wrote: »
    I swear by 1000 mile socks as well. They are the only one's i wear and dont get blisters.

I guess its trial and error for the individual!

I use 1000 miles on all my runs and I have to say that while I think they are good I have gotten blisters but only on the LSRs. Since I got the blisters I started using Bodyglide on my feet and that seems to have fixed the problem as I have not had any blisters since.

BTW has anyone else lost a toe nail yet? I have and consider it a badge of honour! A war wound so to speak.

LarMan wrote: »
    I use 1000 miles on all my runs and I have to say that while I think they are good I have gotten blisters but only on the LSRs. Since I go the blisters I started using Bodyglide on my feet and that seems to have fixed the problem as I have had not had any blisters since.

BTW has anyone else lost a toe nail yet? I have and consider it a badge of honour! A war wound so to speak.
    Must try the body glide for my LSR this weekend to try and avoid the blisters, but as I said, i'm pretty ok as long as I don't use the 1000 mile socks! I haven't lost a toenail yet, but one is going pretty black so it's only a matter of time :eek:. No strappy shoes for me this Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Had a successful GP visit! The doctor was very positive about me running the marathon, despite the weak ankle and intermittant swelling on it. I have been doing shorter lunch time runs this week to build up to a lsr on the weekend. :)

Had a successful GP visit! The doctor was very positive about me running the marathon, despite the weak ankle and intermittant swelling on it. I have been doing shorter lunch time runs this week to build up to a lsr on the weekend. :)
    X-Ray done. Official result goes to the doctor in 7-10 days but the unofficial quick glance from the doctor on duty says no sign of fracture. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Great news PM and Jinx! Delighted that you both got the go ahead. Just make sure you take it handy this week and don't overdo it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I don't get blisters with any socks ( Except the first run with new shoes ),my problem is the pain underneath below the fore foot/ toes, it heating after a while, just wondering if this is a problem of cushioning...

Hi there, I had a problem like this in the marathon last year where this heated sensation started to come towards halfway and shortly after I was reduced to a walk run strategy for the last 8-10 miles. This was difficult to take as I had the training donw but when I was running it felt like I was running on hot coals.

It has taken me a while but I hope I have finally gotten to the bottom of the problem. I changed initially to the 1000 mile socks but found when I reached a certain distance it would come again and also my feet were getting damaged. This happened in a couple of different types of shoe but always the same sock and also happened in the Dublin 1/2 marathon recently.

With the help of Amphibian king in ballymount I changed my shoes again but also changed this time to a much lighter sock (hilly monoskin lite sock) and managed my 20 miler last week with no issue where I had problems the previous week from about 10 miles.

Apparently this is a common problem but I would make sure to get it sorted now or the marathon will be an unpleasant experience.

Another tip I received about the burning sensation is that it could also be caused by tight muscles as a lot of tendons run through your feet.

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Hi there, I had a problem like this in the marathon last year where this heated sensation started to come towards halfway and shortly after I was reduced to a walk run strategy for the last 8-10 miles. This was difficult to take as I had the training donw but when I was running it felt like I was running on hot coals.

It has taken me a while but I hope I have finally gotten to the bottom of the problem. I changed initially to the 1000 mile socks but found when I reached a certain distance it would come again and also my feet were getting damaged. This happened in a couple of different types of shoe but always the same sock and also happened in the Dublin 1/2 marathon recently.

With the help of Amphibian king in ballymount I changed my shoes again but also changed this time to a much lighter sock (hilly monoskin lite sock) and managed my 20 miler last week with no issue where I had problems the previous week from about 10 miles.

Apparently this is a common problem but I would make sure to get it sorted now or the marathon will be an unpleasant experience.

Another tip I received about the burning sensation is that it could also be caused by tight muscles as a lot of tendons run through your feet.

Amphibian king in ballymount is where I purchased my shoes, I made them aware of the burning sensation I had with my previous Asics ( I went through my first marathon tho, despite the pain) but with the new asics they advised I feel it is getting worse and worse. I may go back there I'm just hoping it is just problem of combination shoe/ socks and nothing else serious like I read on this website:

http://www.pponline.co.uk/forum/talk-injury/burning-feet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Excellent PM, best of luck at physio :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Brilliant jinx, best of luck with the LSR. My ankle is still not great but getting better. The funny thing is running doesn't actually hurt it, is this the same for you? I'm so paranoid of potholes though - I ran in the dark at 6am this morning and was so worried about twisting it...I'm sure it'll all be worth it on 29th though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Amphibian king in ballymount is where I purchased my shoes, I made them aware of the burning sensation I had with my previous Asics ( I went through my first marathon tho, despite the pain) but with the new asics they advised I feel it is getting worse and worse. I may go back there I'm just hoping it is just problem of combination shoe/ socks and nothing else serious like I read on this website:

I would recommend calling back into them and describing the problems you have. They should be able to get to the bottom of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Cork is great as there is a half and also a relay on the day, so there's a good turn out and great support and atmosphere. It's a nice flat course too. Only problem with the June BH weekend is that the weather can be very hot. It was perfect this year, but 2 years ago it was incredibly hot, so extra difficulty there.

Meant to ask, are you treating the Athlone 3/4 as a race or a LSR? I was half tempted to do the Cork to Cobh race this weekend (15 miles and tack a few miles on either end) but I know I'd be too tempted to race it and I don't think I want the strain of a race at this late stage.
    Thanks thats good to know. Other alternative is Edinburgh :D

I'm going to follow the 4 hr pacers. It says on the race briefing that they will be running the first 1/4 in 10.10 and 2/4 and 3/4 in 9.38. There was no mention of 4/4 but I'm presuming thats because its a 3/4 race :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I was having this problem earlier in the summer once i went over about 12 miles. my take on it is that its the friction with the sweat. i changed my socks to the nike sports ones and it hasnt been a problem since. i used the same shoes so the shoes dont have an impact

Thanks thats good to know. Other alternative is Edinburgh :D

I'm going to follow the 4 hr pacers. It says on the race briefing that they will be running the first 1/4 in 10.10 and 2/4 and 3/4 in 9.38. There was no mention of 4/4 but I'm presuming thats because its a 3/4 race :confused:
    So that's about your LSR speed isn't it?

I am really considering the Cork to Cobh now and then tag an extra 5 miles at the end, but I would think it best to do it at LSR pace. My 19 mile LSR was a bit of a disaster for me and knocked my confidence a bit, so really want a good 20 mile LSR to get my head back in a positive place. If I do go ahead and do the Cork to Cobh, I wouldn't want to go to fast and end up in bits.

docrock wrote: »
    After the 10k on Monday I was out for 10 miles yesterday evening & have to say I felt a bit sluggish:( I did it in 1.31 but I dont have a garmin so the distance is guesstimate of exactly how far it was, I have a normal route that I've measured in the car which is just over 11k & I put another loop on which I know is over 4.5:eek: Anyway I was feeling drained after a few miles but slogged on to the finish, i took a small bottle of water with me & added some of a high5 sachet for a bit of flavour - it wasnt bad but it wasnt great either to be honest.I did my usual stretching etc after but I feel a bit sore & sorry this morning - I think that the mileage is maybe starting to catch up with me or something but I cant say that I'm looking forward to the 5 miles this evening:confused:.In my own head I was running at a handy enough pace but I was definately feeling it towards the finish.
    By choice I've done all the training on my own as I didnt want to be slowing people down plus with kids & everything that goes with them I can run at a time & pace that suits me etc plus I'm happy out once I have the ipod on & doing my own thing.However, a friend of mine whos in the same boat with kids, work etc is also doing Dublin -he's also done all the training himself & weve arranged to do the 20 miles together this weekend so it should be interesting as to how I get on as he's looking at 3.50 marathon & I'd be more like 4.15 - 4.30. He's done Dublin before & he also has a garmin so I'll probably have a better indication of pace etc after Saturday -cant say that I 'm looking forward to it after last night.I'm a good listener though as I dont think I'll be doing a lot of talkig after a few miles. As someone that started this process on the Oct bank holiday Monday last year I will be happy when its 2pm next Oct bank holiday Monday for sure. Time for a few HTFU's moments me thinks:mad::mad:

Im not surprised you're tired, that sounds like a very fast 10 miles if 4.30 is your goal then 1.31 for ten miles sounds almost race pace.

rasher_m wrote: »
    I was having this problem earlier in the summer once i went over about 12 miles. my take on it is that its the friction with the sweat. i changed my socks to the nike sports ones and it hasnt been a problem since. i used the same shoes so the shoes dont have an impact

I hope I will sort this by trying other socks, I read a lot about something called Morton's Neuroma, and the symptoms are very similar to what I feel after a certain distance...

• Advertisement

rasher_m wrote: »

I hope I will sort this by trying other socks, I read a lot about something called Morton's Neuroma, and the symptoms are very similar to what I feel after a certain distance...

Yeah make sure theyre proper running socks. i thought originally that once theyre sports socks that they should be good enough but not so. they need to have that wick material. those socks are expensive though 17 euro for two pairs but it has saved me a lot of pain.

Advertisement