Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

I'm going to follow the 4 hr pacers. It says on the race briefing that they will be running the first 1/4 in 10.10 and 2/4 and 3/4 in 9.38. There was no mention of 4/4 but I'm presuming thats because its a 3/4 race :confused:

can i ask were you seen this about the pace, not sure what or where the race briefing is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

jim_bob wrote: »
    I'm going to follow the 4 hr pacers. It says on the race briefing that they will be running the first 1/4 in 10.10 and 2/4 and 3/4 in 9.38. There was no mention of 4/4 but I'm presuming thats because its a 3/4 race :confused:

can i ask were you seen this about the pace, not sure what or where the race briefing is ?

Theres a pace chart on the Athlone 3/4 website for the pace the pacers plan on running. The race starts from Glasson Golf Club, which is 7 miles or so out the Longford Rd from Athlone. Go through Glasson village, past a Centra shop & garage and take next left turn, big sign for golf club at the turn. Glasson Golf club is about 3 miles down this road.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

lmguillou wrote: »
    I hope I will sort this by trying other socks, I read a lot about something called Morton's Neuroma, and the symptoms are very similar to what I feel after a certain distance...

Sounds like your shoes could be borderline too narrow - your feet expand as you run, and things could get a little constricted over time...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

rasher_m wrote: »
    Im not surprised you're tired, that sounds like a very fast 10 miles if 4.30 is your goal then 1.31 for ten miles sounds almost race pace.

Hi Rasher_m,
    sorry i should have made it a bit clearer, I wouldnt say that 4.30 is my goal time I should have probably said between 4.00 - 4.15 & the reason I'm saying that is if you take 1.30 for ten miles & I keep the same pace for the next ten (oh God) than I'm at 3 hrs approx for twenty miles but I'm then in unknown territory as i dont know how I'm going to do over the next six.I doubt it very much at that stage that I would do them at 10 mim miles which puts me in that region but then again who knows:eek:.Your right in what you say, Im probably running my mid week miles at marathon pace because if you look at my last 20 mile lsr I did it in 3.19 which would tie in with that theory. My plan is to do my own thing really & not worry too much about pacers etc. I'll try to get through the 1/2 in 2 hrs approx & then see what way I 'm fixed after 20 miles - if I'm in around the 3 hr mark at that stage then it depends how mentally & physically able I am to push on. Being honest, at the moment I couldnt see myself breaking 4 hrs & I'm not going to beat myself up if i dont but I also dont know how I'm going to feel after taper so its all unknown territory at the moment - it will be great next year cos we'll know everything:D:D I can see why people rave about garmins now, it certainly helps you to pace yourself a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

ormond lad wrote: »
    Hi all
    Been following thread for past few weeks and should really have joined in earlier but now will do.
    21, 13 stone. decided to run DCM as i wanted something to aim for over the summer while not working and not at college.
    Im using a programme that admittedly was one of the first ones i saw after googling running marathon for first time.
    Welcome, nice to finally see someone in my age-group!
    LarMan wrote: »
    I use 1000 miles on all my runs and I have to say that while I think they are good I have gotten blisters but only on the LSRs. Since I got the blisters I started using Bodyglide on my feet and that seems to have fixed the problem as I have not had any blisters since.

BTW has anyone else lost a toe nail yet? I have and consider it a badge of honour! A war wound so to speak.
    I've tried all kinds of socks before settling on 1000 miles - I wouldn't wear anything else, it baffles me how people can get blisters with them! Also, I have a toenail hanging on for dear life.. not sure whether to just go ahead and rip it off!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

sweep22 wrote: »
    Welcome, nice to finally see someone in my age-group!

I've tried all kinds of socks before settling on 1000 miles - I wouldn't wear anything else, it baffles me how people can get blisters with them! Also, I have a toenail hanging on for dear life.. not sure whether to just go ahead and rip it off!! :eek:

Leave the toenail alone!!! It will come off when it is good and ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

I've tried all kinds of socks before settling on 1000 miles :eek:

Got a pair of these the other day - do you wash them by hand (as recommended on packaging) or use the washing machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I've tried all kinds of socks before settling on 1000 miles - I wouldn't wear anything else, it baffles me how people can get blisters with them!

Nothing baffling at all. Everyone is different. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

A fawn bounded across the road just infront of me in the park today; I would love to run like that! ;)

Jinx & PM, delighted to hear your good news! Hopefully after a few gentle weeks of healing, we'll see ye at the start line!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

miguelk wrote: »
    Got a pair of these the other day - do you wash them by hand (as recommended on packaging) or use the washing machine?

washing machine for me. there is nearly 10 pairs in the house and no issues.

fk me that is a lot of cash we've spent on 10 pairs of socks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Trampas wrote: »

washing machine for me. there is nearly 10 pairs in the house and no issues.

fk me that is a lot of cash we've spent on 10 pairs of socks

Enjoy, Its because your worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Other alternative is Edinburgh :D

Couple of things to know about Edinburgh if you are seriously considering it - there are no pacers, so the support (and the ample HTFU) we're expecting from them is lacking.

Secondly it's mostly an out-and-back course, so at about 8 or 10 miles you start meeting people nearing the end of their race. It's quite discouraging.

Thirdly a lot of the course coming up to the turn is unpopulated, so crowds and support are very sparse for several miles.

And finally 2012 and 2010 were quite hot (mid to late 20's), while 2011 was very windy.

On the up side, the course is very flat and where there were spectators they were outstanding - giving drinks, snacks, ice-pops, etc and hosing runners down as they were passing.

Just a difficult enough one for a novice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

ncmc wrote: »
    So that's about your LSR speed isn't it?

I am really considering the Cork to Cobh now and then tag an extra 5 miles at the end, but I would think it best to do it at LSR pace. My 19 mile LSR was a bit of a disaster for me and knocked my confidence a bit, so really want a good 20 mile LSR to get my head back in a positive place. If I do go ahead and do the Cork to Cobh, I wouldn't want to go to fast and end up in bits.
    Ya if I was doing the C to C I would do that....LSR pace + add on the few extra miles. You'll enjoy it more than doing a 20 miler on your own and you won't have to carry any water.....RESULT!!!!:D:D

jim_bob wrote: »
    Hi Jim. Got an email there yesterday I think it was with the race brief as an attachment:)

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Couple of things to know about Edinburgh if you are seriously considering it - there are no pacers, so the support (and the ample HTFU) we're expecting from them is lacking.

Secondly it's mostly an out-and-back course, so at about 8 or 10 miles you start meeting people nearing the end of their race. It's quite discouraging.

Thirdly a lot of the course coming up to the turn is unpopulated, so crowds and support are very sparse for several miles.

And finally 2012 and 2010 were quite hot (mid to late 20's), while 2011 was very windy.

On the up side, the course is very flat and where there were spectators they were outstanding - giving drinks, snacks, ice-pops, etc and hosing runners down as they were passing.

Just a difficult enough one for a novice.
    Thanks D for the info. My aunt lives in Edinburgh so that was the main reason I'd do it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

So 12 days without a run, and feeling like I'm going mental as a result. It is as if my fitness is leaking out of me. Back to physio this Monday. This purported acute peroneal tendonitis 'seems' to be improving (slowly). So I think my 20 miler on Saturday (or any Saturday before DCM) is out of the question. I've done 18.5m 13 days ago and did it quite comfortably at a 6.35min/KM lick, and did 1/2 marathon in 1:45. Once I do recover (and by God I will), should I just slip into the taper planned mileage, or build up from 5,to 10, 15 (which isn't very 'tapery')? Really not sure. I know that my hope of a sub 4 is gone, so I'm shooting to start and finish, and worry about a sub 4 in the Spring. I'm just trying to figure out which the most sensible regime to return to whenever I do actually return (hopefully soon..)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 morann

So 12 days without a run, and feeling like I'm going mental as a result. It is as if my fitness is leaking out of me. Back to physio this Monday. This purported acute peroneal tendonitis 'seems' to be improving (slowly). So I think my 20 miler on Saturday (or any Saturday before DCM) is out of the question. I've done 18.5m 13 days ago and did it quite comfortably at a 6.35min/KM lick, and did 1/2 marathon in 1:45. Once I do recover (and by God I will), should I just slip into the taper planned mileage, or build up from 5,to 10, 15 (which isn't very 'tapery')? Really not sure. I know that my hope of a sub 4 is gone, so I'm shooting to start and finish, and worry about a sub 4 in the Spring. I'm just trying to figure out which the most sensible regime to return to whenever I do actually return (hopefully soon..)

I share your pain. I have a hip flexor strain, and haven't run in almost 2 weeks since I did an 18 mile, but limped home from 17. I am planning to be back next week, 100%, and I plan to get 2 mid week runs and a long at the weekend. The following week some easy runs and no long ones. The distances I do will depend on how I feel.

If you have a good 18 behind you then you will not be losing your fitness. If you are not worried about time, I wouldn't rush things. If it heals then do some short runs and see how it goes, maybe try a longer. It's too close now we may just have to save ourselves for the big day. You will risk injuring yourself even more.

I know it is very frustrating, I am driving my family mad wanting to go out for a run, but there is no point, when it heels go out and see how things feel.

I am also doing some cycling while I cant run as well as some strength exercises. Not sure if this is an option for you but may be worth a try.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hey guys,

anyone who wants company on the LSR this weekend, there are runs planned for both Sat & Sun mornings.

Check it out
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81097671#post81097671

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

After a mile or 2 once you're warmed up, if you're wearing a throw away top/refuse bag or whatever, is there somewhere (i.e. big bins/skips) along the way to throw them in?

Or would you recommend having done that before the gun?

After a mile or 2 once you're warmed up, if you're wearing a throw away top/refuse bag or whatever, is there somewhere (i.e. big bins/skips) along the way to throw them in?

Or would you recommend having done that before the gun?

there are skips along the start to dump the unwanted clothes and they are recycled for charity. The black bags are great for keeping you warm while waiting at the start. Last year it was very warm so they weren't needed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

Younganne wrote: »
    Hey guys,

anyone who wants company on the LSR this weekend, there are runs planned for both Sat & Sun mornings.

Check it out

I'd like to do one of these but I want to run around the marathon course

something along this route

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=208839825727236606975.0004cb4af332a4e576e72

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=208839825727236606975.0004cb4af332a4e576e72

the Sunday one we will do a few miles of the course but we found last week the footpaths were very slippy so we headed back to familiar ground in the park!
    During the marathon, i never pay attention to the course, i just follow the crowd!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=208839825727236606975.0004cb4af332a4e576e72[/QUOTE]

With the Simon Fun Run in the park this Sat., I was thinking of doing a 22miler around part of the DCM course from Ph Park to Ballsbridge, then back to the Ph Park via the Canal - but looking at all the roads and crossings, I dont think I can be bothered!!

Will either start very early, or just run amongst the bedlam!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Younganne wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Check it out

Do you know what is the route? are you doing few laps within the park? That s what I usually do so I can use my car as the refreshment station ;)

lmguillou wrote: »
    Do you know what is the route? are you doing few laps within the park? That s what I usually do so I can use my car as the refreshment station ;)

Last week we did lap of park and then out as far as Dolphins Barn on the route, down by the canal for a bit and them back to the park, to the cars,this was 9m stage and then a lap of the park

This week we could actually start at Garda HQ carpark, so about the 4m mark, do the route in the park and continue as far as mile 11 (Dolphins barn area) and then head back to the cars and then another lap of the park.

http://dublinmarathon.ie/map-2012.pdf

The more the merrier and the miles really do fly by!!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

I may join you on this. I had planned to do my 20 miler in the park or the course on Sunday morning so this would suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Hi All
    Can anybody recommend a good place to stay for the marathon? I'm very worried about getting my good nights sleep and a good feed the evening before and the morning of.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Hi All
    Can anybody recommend a good place to stay for the marathon? I'm very worried about getting my good nights sleep and a good feed the evening before and the morning of.
    Thanks
    I was in the same boat DOCO, wanted to make sure to get a good nights sleep and a good brekkie. Wanted somewhere close to the start line but not too noisy. So I booked the Ballsbridge Hotel. Paid €99 for B&B for myself and the hubby with free parking. It’s far enough out so it shouldn’t be noisy, but think it’s just about a mile to the start line. I emailed them and they start serving brekkie at 7am, which suited me. Haven’t decided where to eat the night before, but I think a big feed of pasta will be required!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Hi All
    Thanks

I stayed here last year http://www.booking.com/hotel/ie/callaghan-mont-clare.en-gb.html?sid=c938478d3522f6eab64c8c05c486d563;dcid=1;checkin=2012-10-28;checkout=2012-10-29;srfid=dbbec582e92c33a96012384a31a23d1cX59

Ideal for the startline, only a couple of mins walk away. A bit longer walk back due to sore legs, and the road being blocked off, but you walk back down another street and cross over where the marshalls are. It took me no more than about 10 mins or so.

Room was small but grand and clean. Hotel and room were quiet, most of the guests were doing DCM too, a lot of American groups of runners were based there.

Breakfast was good, wholemeal toast, museli etc. For the more brave, they seemed to offer a good full Irish too. I found it funny to watch a lots of the American runners tucking into HUGE mounds of frys. Each to their own, and whatever you know works for you I suppose :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Cheers for the recommendations guys. Its a good bowl of porridge I'll definitely be after:) I'll check both out, there's nearly too much choice with hotels hard to pick one.

Advertisement