Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Younganne wrote: »
    Last week we did lap of park and then out as far as Dolphins Barn on the route, down by the canal for a bit and them back to the park, to the cars,this was 9m stage and then a lap of the park

This week we could actually start at Garda HQ carpark, so about the 4m mark, do the route in the park and continue as far as mile 11 (Dolphins barn area) and then head back to the cars and then another lap of the park.

http://dublinmarathon.ie/map-2012.pdf

The more the merrier and the miles really do fly by!!

I think I will join you as you say the more the merrier, when you say we could start at the Garda HQ are we still meeting at the papal cross though? I hope I won't be disturbed by my burning feet got new socks last night we'll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Cheers for the recommendations guys. Its a good bowl of porridge I'll definitely be after:) I'll check both out, there's nearly too much choice with hotels hard to pick one.
    +1 on the porridge, may try a bananna too if i'm feeling brave. What't the betting those Americans were seriously regretting that fry up round about mile 16 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi All
    Can anybody recommend a good place to stay for the marathon? I'm very worried about getting my good nights sleep and a good feed the evening before and the morning of.
    Thanks

I'm booked into the Maldron Hotel cardiffs lane. It's 1-1.5km from the start and finish areas, (ideal warm up territory) should be quiet enough sleeping wise on Sunday night given the location and for €20 you can get a late check out which allows you to stay until 4.00pm. So we're booked into a family room that will accomadate us all on the Sunday night, the family have a base to head back to and I may have a room for a shower after the marathon (mightn't get back before 4 !!!!!) Worked out at €129 which I think will be well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I may join you on this. I had planned to do my 20 miler in the park or the course on Sunday morning so this would suit.
    lmguillou wrote: »
    I think I will join you as you say the more the merrier, when you say we could start at the Garda HQ are we still meeting at the papal cross though? I hope I won't be disturbed by my burning feet got new socks last night we'll see...

As i said the more the merrier. I think we won't confuse the issue so we'll stick with the Papal Cross carpark at 8.30am, we usually gather at the entrance. If you want to PM me with mobile numbers i'll return my so that if anyone gets delayed we won't be gone without them.

It'll be nice putting names & faces together too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

As i said the more the merrier. I think we won't confuse the issue so we'll stick with the Papal Cross carpark at 8.30am, we usually gather at the entrance. If you want to PM me with mobile numbers i'll return my so that if anyone gets delayed we won't be gone without them.

It'll be nice potting names & faces together too!

I think I will join you as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

This was put up by RayCun on the marathon thread today.
    Great Advice from last years mentor and i have to agree with everything he says.
    Remember the first marathon is all about the achievement, the atmosphere and getting around in the most comfortable run possible. There'll be plenty of time for time goals!!:D

List of Pacers for DM 2012

3:00
    Robert W
    Abhainn
    Pronator

3:15
    liamo123
    Surewhynot!
    Ray Lanigan
    TFBubendorfer

3:30
    Wounded Knee
    JackyBack
    Grellan
    Robinph

3:45
    Menoscemo
    CorkRunning
    Paul D
    Claralara

4:00
    Oisin11178
    RunningCoach
    Ruthann S
    Breffni Blue

4:15
    Kandikane
    Marthastew
    digger2d2
    ankers99

4:30
    Ultraman1
    Moneystealer1
    Izoard
    tHEvAGGABOND

5:00
    Clareman07
    Belcarra
    Hot to trot

Following the success of the pacers over the past few years we have included them again this year. There will be pacers for the following times: 3.00, 3.15, 3.30, 3.45, 4.00, 4.15, 4.30 and 5.00.

They will run the race at a steady pace throughout, and aim to finish a few seconds under each time band. To be paced by them during the race, just turn up at the start, look for the runners wearing backpacks with large flags, and stand behind the corresponding time.
    (Note that 3:45 will start at the front of Wave 2,
    4:15 will start at the front of Wave 3. All others will start in their appropriate starting zone).

If you want to break 4 hours then run with the 4 hour pacers and stick with them. If you are fit enough to run a 4-hour marathon, you won't fall behind.

If, on the other hand, you are not fit enough to run a 4 hour marathon then starting at an even faster pace will only hurt you and result in an even slower time.

The marathon is not about running fast, it is about preserving energy. If you waste energy early on by running faster, you are only going to run into even bigger problems later on. Every 1 minute you run too fast in the first half will cost you at least 2 minutes in the second.

The same applies for every other time target as well, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I'm booked into the Maldron Hotel cardiffs lane. It's 1-1.5km from the start and finish areas, (ideal warm up territory) should be quiet enough sleeping wise on Sunday night given the location and for €20 you can get a late check out which allows you to stay until 4.00pm. So we're booked into a family room that will accomadate us all on the Sunday night, the family have a base to head back to and I may have a room for a shower after the marathon (mightn't get back before 4 !!!!!) Worked out at €129 which I think will be well worth it.

Ive booked in here as well PM after you recommended it couple months back. The late check out on the Monday is a real insentive!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great Advice from last years mentor and i have to agree with everything he says.

Can't take the credit, I just copied and pasted from TFBubendorfer's comment :)
    (He was the 3.30 pacer I followed last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I have booked into the Camden court hotel. I'm not that familiar with Dublin but according to the street maps it looks fairly close to the starting line. It's surprising for a bank holiday weekend that there still seems to be good availability and reasonable value in dublin hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

joe40 wrote: »
    I have booked into the Camden court hotel. I'm not that familiar with Dublin but according to the street maps it looks fairly close to the starting line. It's surprising for a bank holiday weekend that there still seems to be good availability and reasonable value in dublin hotels.

With the improvement in roads & the reccession i'd say that a lot of people within a few hrs drive of dublin are now commuting where as they would have booked in previously, plus with marathons springing up all over the place its not the only gig in town anymore - IMO,its still the one to do though;);)In fairness dublin hotels are a lot cheaper now than they were previously so theres good value around.

• Advertisement

docrock wrote: »
    With the improvement in roads & the reccession i'd say that a lot of people within a few hrs drive of dublin are now commuting where as they would have booked in previously, plus with marathons springing up all over the place its not the only gig in town anymore - IMO,its still the one to do though;);)In fairness dublin hotels are a lot cheaper now than they were previously so theres good value around.
    That's very true docrock, I was undecided about whether I'd drive up on the morning or stay over... and I'm in Cork! I decided it would add too much stress to the situation having to get up so early and worrying about parking/being late etc. But I was tempted to come up on the morning. As it it, I'm looking forward to the night in Dublin, looking forward to going for a nice meal the night before and having a look round the city. I think i'd be a bag of nerves if I was at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Hi, bit of a final freak out here with my last LSR.

I was training for sub 4 but upped the goal to 3:45 based on my HM time.

Since then I've been second guessing my training paces, and a dodgy stomach from gels for the 19 miler didn't help things either.

So I want to get this one right. A good (but tough) LSR to bring back a bit of confidence! Ideally with some of it at PMP.

Does this sound ok? (goal pace for marathon will be 8:35 min/miles)

20 miles
    2 x 9:50 min/mile (warm up)
    10 x 9:20 min/mile
    6 x 8:35 min/mile (PMP)
    2 x 9:20 - 9:50 (warm down)

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Good luck to everyone on their final high milage LSR's this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

miguelk wrote: »

Since then I've been second guessing my training paces, and a dodgy stomach from gels for the 19 miler didn't help things either.

So I want to get this one right. A good (but tough) LSR to bring back a bit of confidence! Ideally with some of it at PMP.

20 miles

Looks very well planned to me.
    Maybe try different gels?
    Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Got out for a small (can't say quick) 5k this morning. The pain in the leg is a lot easier to push through when you're confident it's muscular rather than a fracture. :)

That said it was tough going - I feel like I've lost months of fitness. Needed a couple of walk breaks inbetween. I know it will come back a lot quicker than it took to get there in the first place but it's still a bit of a shock to see how far behind I am !

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Hey guys, anyone who wants company on the LSR this weekend, there are runs planned for both Sat & Sun mornings.

Check it out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81097671#post81097671

FiiFii & I were going to do a 20m LSR on Saturday morning at 10am, meeting at Dublin Zoo & covering the DCM route excluding the Phoenix Park bit. You can see our route here.

The pace will be sloooow (11-12 min miles), include a stop into a shop for water somewhere along the way, and probably a pee stop too! Expect it to take about 4 hours. If that suits anyone on here, you're welcome to join us!

(I'll put this on the other thread too, but they seem like hardcore runners over there! :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

miguelk wrote: »

20 miles

Looks very well planned to me.
    Maybe try different gels?
    Best of luck with it!

Thanks RK. My plan is to test couple of miles at pmp during it- its my last chance to quench this little doubt about my pmp, which would fester over the taper period and drive me nuts.

Ya, bringing new gels to carry but planning on not using them.
    Tested them last wk on my shorter lsr and they were fine.
    I think I just took the last ones too quickly But the taste of them would still churn my stomach.

All systems go so,much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Hey guys, anyone who wants company on the LSR this weekend, there are runs planned for both Sat & Sun mornings.

Check it out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81097671#post81097671

FiiFii & I were going to do a 20m LSR on Saturday morning at 10am, meeting at Dublin Zoo & covering the DCM route excluding the Phoenix Park bit. You can see our route here.

The pace will be sloooow (11-12 min miles), include a stop into a shop for water somewhere along the way, and probably a pee stop too! Expect it to take about 4 hours. If that suits anyone on here, you're welcome to join us!

(I'll put this on the other thread too, but they seem like hardcore runners overe there! :o)

That sounds pretty much what I did on wednesday, including shop & pee stop, did 11.30 min miles, pity I have it done I'd have joined you, it was very very hard to do it on my own. Will I see you following the 5 hour pacers on the day or what's your plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

joe40 wrote: »

Staying there too Joe. Stayed there last year also and it was quite convenient. There were plenty of marathoners staying there last year. Has the added plus of free parking too. Might see you about!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

List of Pacers for DM 2012

3:00
    Robert W
    Abhainn
    Pronator

3:15
    liamo123
    Surewhynot!
    Ray Lanigan
    TFBubendorfer

3:30
    Wounded Knee
    JackyBack
    Grellan
    Robinph

3:45
    Menoscemo
    CorkRunning
    Paul D
    Claralara

4:00
    Oisin11178
    RunningCoach
    Ruthann S
    Breffni Blue

4:15
    Kandikane
    Marthastew
    digger2d2
    ankers99

4:30
    Ultraman1
    Moneystealer1
    Izoard
    tHEvAGGABOND

5:00
    Clareman07
    Belcarra
    Hot to trot

Wow, getting to run with a real boards celeb! Definitely not changing any targets now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Got out for a small (can't say quick) 5k this morning. The pain in the leg is a lot easier to push through when you're confident it's muscular rather than a fracture. :)

That said it was tough going - I feel like I've lost months of fitness. Needed a couple of walk breaks inbetween. I know it will come back a lot quicker than it took to get there in the first place but it's still a bit of a shock to see how far behind I am !

Stick with it PM, you'll make the 29th!

• Advertisement

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    That sounds pretty much what I did on wednesday, including shop & pee stop, did 11.30 min miles, pity I have it done I'd have joined you, it was very very hard to do it on my own. Will I see you following the 5 hour pacers on the day or what's your plan?

Fair play for going that distance on your own! I've done the last 2 very long weekend runs with FiiFii & it's made such a difference :)

I expect I will be hanging around the back near the 5h pacers; 430 is unrealistic & I don't want to head off fast & crash :( I think I'll set my Garmin for an 11:30 min mile pace, but run according to how my legs feel, using the virtual pacer more to be sure I'm not starting too fast! I wasn't planning to stick with a race pacer though; I can be sure I'll want to stop to pee at some stage & I'm going to walk through the water stations (well some, not all!) & I don't want to be getting stressed about pacers getting out of my sight! :eek:

Deedee, are you going with the 5h pacers? Besides FiiFii (who I met through this thread), I don't know anyone else doing the DCM so would be nice to spot some friendly faces! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Fair play for going that distance on your own! I've done the last 2 very long weekend runs with FiiFii & it's made such a difference :)

I expect I will be hanging around the back near the 5h pacers; 430 is unrealistic & I don't want to head off fast & crash :( I think I'll set my Garmin for an 11:30 min mile pace, but run according to how my legs feel, using the virtual pacer more to be sure I'm not starting too fast! I wasn't planning to stick with a race pacer though; I can be sure I'll want to stop to pee at some stage & I'm going to walk through the water stations (well some, not all!) & I don't want to be getting stressed about pacers getting out of my sight! :eek:

Deedee, are you going with the 5h pacers? Besides FiiFii (who I met through this thread), I don't know anyone else doing the DCM so would be nice to spot some friendly faces! :D

Going to start with the pacers anyway, I usually go too fast at the start of the LSR's and if that's the case on the day I will die in the latter stages, so it's more to keep me slow for the first half to give me the best chance of enjoying the second half and not keeling over! We'll have to arrange a way of spotting fellow mentored novices on the day. I'll be the one at the back anyway!

Going to start with the pacers anyway, I usually go too fast at the start of the LSR's and if that's the case on the day I will die in the latter stages, so it's more to keep me slow for the first half to give me the best chance of enjoying the second half and not keeling over! We'll have to arrange a way of spotting fellow mentored novices on the day. I'll be the one at the back anyway!

I'm #13039, and will probably be wearing a bright YELLOW jacket :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good luck with the long runs guys. Its so cool the way ye're all meeting up. Jealous. Lots.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Good luck with the long runs guys. Its so cool the way ye're all meeting up. Jealous. Lots.:pac:

Likewise - going to be doing my 20m tomorrow on the N25 in Wexford. On my tod :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

blockic wrote: »

Ive booked in here as well PM after you recommended it couple months back. The late check out on the Monday is a real insentive!

Maldron fully booked for the 28th, the late check out was really selling it to me. Ah well back to bookings.com

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

SnailsPace wrote: »
    Any recommendations on anti-chafe cream?

I got sport shield in runways and not a bother since. Simple roll on for about €12. Well worth it!

Maldron fully booked for the 28th, the late check out was really selling it to me. Ah well back to bookings.com

Ballsbridge Hotel offer late check out too DOCO! Think there's still availability too!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

I am really worried.went out for my ten mile run last night and had a great run but woke up this morning and my lower left shin is really sore. Getting progressively worse all day. Went for short walk and was very sore to walk on. No way I could run on it . Meant to do five mile today but skipped but thinking of twenty mile Sunday? Hopefully will get to see physio tomorrow. Anyone know good physio in Dublin 8 6 ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

dechol wrote: »
    I am really worried.went out for my ten mile run last night and had a great run but woke up this morning and my lower left shin is really sore. Getting progressively worse all day. Went for short walk and was very sore to walk on. No way I could run on it . Meant to do five mile today but skipped but thinking of twenty mile Sunday? Hopefully will get to see physio tomorrow. Anyone know good physio in Dublin 8 6 ???

If you can make it to Dundrum/Ballinteer, then Ciaran Fitz is your only man (aka 'the magician') http://cfphysicaltherapy.com/

Advertisement