Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

menoscemo wrote: »
    dechol wrote: »
    I am really worried.went out for my ten mile run last night and had a great run but woke up this morning and my lower left shin is really sore. Getting progressively worse all day. Went for short walk and was very sore to walk on. No way I could run on it . Meant to do five mile today but skipped but thinking of twenty mile Sunday? Hopefully will get to see physio tomorrow. Anyone know good physio in Dublin 8 6 ???

If you can make it to Dundrum/Ballinteer, then Ciaran Fitz is your only man (aka 'the magician') http://cfphysicaltherapy.com/
    Thanks. Will contact him and hopefully his magic will cure me !

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

Thanks. Not near me then. :( anyone recommend a physio In Dublin 8 or 6?

Pearse st physio near enough? Aidan managed to fix my calf in one session, although I did go back a few more times as advised

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    We'll have to arrange a way of spotting fellow mentored novices on the day.

That is really wierd, I was just thinking about this while i was out on my run this evening!!

I was thinking a particular coloured ribbon or something on our arms. Kind of like a cult! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Staying there too Joe. Stayed there last year also and it was quite convenient. There were plenty of marathoners staying there last year. Has the added plus of free parking too. Might see you about!

Excellent, if you see someone in the bar with an orange juice but staring longingly at the pints of guinness, that will be me!!!

Just getting ready for the 20 miles tomorrow quite can't believe this is the last LSR where miles are increasing. It does'nt seem that long ago when 6 miles was an LSR.
    I know training is not over yet but if tomorrow's run goes well the next big challenge will be the marathon itself. Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

Got my 22 miles LSR done this morning - was dreading it but feel good that its over - I have a few birthday celebrations this weekend so looking forward to relaxing tomorrow and Sunday. I took two gels on the run (at 11 miles and 17 miles) first time taking them so I was a bit nervous but they tasted fine and I felt like the one I took at 17 miles really kicked in at 20 miles (is that possible?) and really helped me through the last two miles. I had no side effects from the gels during the run but as soon as I got home there were a few ! and about fours later again. Anybody else in the same boat? I have to say despite the side effects they really helped me today. What are peoples nutrition plans for after 20/22 miles - I heard a few people take jelly babies at mile 22 - sortof like a treat to get you home - would love to hear what everyone is doing. Also got great news from Elvery's - they're going to take the Kayano's back and give me 2170's which is brilliant - the manager was great when I talked to her so I just have to pop in at the weekend to do the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Popped into Lidl after work today to get some of their running gear that went on special yesterday and was practically all gone!!! 2 women's tops in size large, a random headband and then just empty shelves..., So tried another Lidl that's on my route home and even worse, complete empty shelves...:eek: This running malarkey is popular.

Aldi doing some running stuff next week so guess i'll have to be queuing from 8am if want to actually get something :phttp://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week41Thursday12.htm?WT.z_src=main

On the plus side, did my 2nd 5 mile run in new runners last night and thumbs up.. They're slightly heavier than previous one's but will get used to, no burning pain in my soles (always a bonus..) and felt more of a spring in the heel...

So, Q is... Do I
    a) Try them on my 20 mile run tomorrow - risk problem on a longer distance and having miserable run BUT will know if gonna be suitable for DCM OR
    b) Stick with old runners for 20 mile and marathon and use new one's on all other runs so that I don't wear out current one's any more..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

blockic wrote: »
    Ive booked in here as well PM after you recommended it couple months back. The late check out on the Monday is a real insentive!

Nice one - might catch up with you there at some stage. :)

FiiFii wrote: »
    So, Q is... Do I
    a) Try them on my 20 mile run tomorrow - risk problem on a longer distance and having miserable run BUT will know if gonna be suitable for DCM OR
    b) Stick with old runners for 20 mile and marathon and use new one's on all other runs so that I don't wear out current one's any more..

How many miles in your current ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    That sounds pretty much what I did on wednesday, including shop & pee stop, did 11.30 min miles, pity I have it done I'd have joined you, it was very very hard to do it on my own. Will I see you following the 5 hour pacers on the day or what's your plan?

Fair play for going that distance on your own! I've done the last 2 very long weekend runs with FiiFii & it's made such a difference :)

I expect I will be hanging around the back near the 5h pacers; 430 is unrealistic & I don't want to head off fast & crash :( I think I'll set my Garmin for an 11:30 min mile pace, but run according to how my legs feel, using the virtual pacer more to be sure I'm not starting too fast! I wasn't planning to stick with a race pacer though; I can be sure I'll want to stop to pee at some stage & I'm going to walk through the water stations (well some, not all!) & I don't want to be getting stressed about pacers getting out of my sight! :eek:

Deedee, are you going with the 5h pacers? Besides FiiFii (who I met through this thread), I don't know anyone else doing the DCM so would be nice to spot some friendly faces! :D

I'll be starting with the 5 h pacers too.:) Have longest LSR tomor so fingers crossed I'll get to the end without ITB flaring up. I've had dry needle therapy this week and my legs have never felt better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

That is really wierd, I was just thinking about this while i was out on my run this evening!!

I was thinking a particular coloured ribbon or something on our arms. Kind of like a cult! :p

Love this idea blockic, I couldn't have gotten this far without the support and general craic from the boardies on here - definitely want to put some faces to names on the big day ;)

• Advertisement

How many miles in your current ones?

About 550 I think.... Lots of different opinions about when to change but know they're at the upper end... Wouldn't be a very heavy runner though so was half hoping they might last as paranoid about having problems at mile 10 tomorrow and still having to run the last 10 back to the car...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I was only thinking about this too! I was thinking along the lines of just getting my username put on my t-shirt (in small letters above my real name) - and sure who else would have any clue what Dilbert75 means except the folks around here? Alternative might be the "O" logo out of Boards (if we were allowed)...???

About 550 I think.... Lots of different opinions about when to change but know they're at the upper end... Wouldn't be a very heavy runner though so was half hoping they might last as paranoid about having problems at mile 10 tomorrow and still having to run the last 10 back to the car...:(

Id probably use the old ones tomorrow as its a big risk with just 10ms done on the new ones.

Use the new ones for the short runs next week and the 12m and 8m LSRs. I would think they would be well broken in for the marathon then.

550 is alot i would think to use them for the marathon.

That's if it was me of course... biggrin.png

Runchick wrote: »
    Love this idea blockic, I couldn't have gotten this far without the support and general craic from the boardies on here - definitely want to put some faces to names on the big day ;)

Agreed i'd be lost without boardies and our hero YoungAnne :D, well the main thing is that we all do the same thing otherwise this lark wont work!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Got out for a small (can't say quick) 5k this morning. The pain in the leg is a lot easier to push through when you're confident it's muscular rather than a fracture. :)

That said it was tough going - I feel like I've lost months of fitness. Needed a couple of walk breaks inbetween. I know it will come back a lot quicker than it took to get there in the first place but it's still a bit of a shock to see how far behind I am !

Don't worry P.M. you'll get back into it quickly. I missed 2 and 1/2 weeks. Thankfully my physio told me not to worry if my breathing was all over the place on my first few runs. IT WAS! but by the 2nd week it was fine and my fitness quickly returned. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

peggysue2 wrote: »
    Got my 22 miles LSR done this morning - was dreading it but feel good that its over - I have a few birthday celebrations this weekend so looking forward to relaxing tomorrow and Sunday. I took two gels on the run (at 11 miles and 17 miles) first time taking them so I was a bit nervous but they tasted fine and I felt like the one I took at 17 miles really kicked in at 20 miles (is that possible?) and really helped me through the last two miles. I had no side effects from the gels during the run but as soon as I got home there were a few ! and about fours later again. Anybody else in the same boat? I have to say despite the side effects they really helped me today. What are peoples nutrition plans for after 20/22 miles - I heard a few people take jelly babies at mile 22 - sortof like a treat to get you home - would love to hear what everyone is doing. Also got great news from Elvery's - they're going to take the Kayano's back and give me 2170's which is brilliant - the manager was great when I talked to her so I just have to pop in at the weekend to do the exchange.

Well done on the run! Glad to hear you are going back to the tried and tested. It's one less piece of ammo for that little voice in your head at mile 23 :)

Great idea.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am really worried.went out for my ten mile run last night and had a great run but woke up this morning and my lower left shin is really sore. Getting progressively worse all day. Went for short walk and was very sore to walk on. No way I could run on it . Meant to do five mile today but skipped but thinking of twenty mile Sunday? Hopefully will get to see physio tomorrow. Anyone know good physio in Dublin 8 6 ???

If you can make it to Dundrum/Ballinteer, then Ciaran Fitz is your only man (aka 'the magician') http://cfphysicaltherapy.com/
    Seeing him tomorrow morning so fingers crossed it is nothing serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Ive booked in here as well PM after you recommended it couple months back. The late check out on the Monday is a real insentive!

Nice one - might catch up with you there at some stage. :)

Me 2, but I just booked in to ensure a decent nights sleep, away from my 2 toddlers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Popped into Lidl after work today to get some of their running gear that went on special yesterday and was practically all gone!!! 2 women's tops in size large, a random headband and then just empty shelves..., So tried another Lidl that's on my route home and even worse, complete empty shelves...:eek: This running malarkey is popular.

Aldi doing some running stuff next week so guess i'll have to be queuing from 8am if want to actually get something :phttp://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week41Thursday12.htm?WT.z_src=main

On the plus side, did my 2nd 5 mile run in new runners last night and thumbs up.. They're slightly heavier than previous one's but will get used to, no burning pain in my soles (always a bonus..) and felt more of a spring in the heel...

So, Q is... Do I

Id say you'd be good to go. I was advised by a guy in running shop to try them out for 5km and then do the half marathon in them if I'm okay and I was. I suppose its different strokes for different folks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Seeing him tomorrow morning so fingers crossed it is nothing serious.

me too, let us know how you get on.....he is a serious man for fixing a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Id probably use the old ones tomorrow as its a big risk with just 10ms done on the new ones.

Use the new ones for the short runs next week and the 12m and 8m LSRs. I would think they would be well broken in for the marathon then.

That's if it was me of course... biggrin.png

I'd agree on that ^^^

That's if it was me of course... :D
    rasher_m wrote: »
    Id say you'd be good to go. I was advised by a guy in running shop to try them out for 5km and then do the half marathon in them if I'm okay and I was. I suppose its different strokes for different folks.

5k to half marathon race seems quite a quick jump..! Guess i'm worried that 20 miler gonna be tough enough as it is without being paranoid that every niggle on my foot is the shoes fault... Had forgotten we have the 12 mile next week so maybe I'll stick with old ones tomorrow and if all goes well next weekend then I'll be bit more comfortable for them on the 29th

Thanks guys :D

5k to half marathon race seems quite a quick jump..! Guess i'm worried that 20 miler gonna be tough enough as it is without being paranoid that every niggle on my foot is the shoes fault... Had forgotten we have the 12 mile next week so maybe I'll stick with old ones tomorrow and if all goes well next weekend then I'll be bit more comfortable for them on the 29th

Thanks guys :D

Yeah should do what makes you feel comfortable.
    I trusted him and I felt fine wearing them.
    He was saying to me that theres no need for a long breaking in period these days with shoes. It was correct in my case anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

X-Ray done. Official result goes to the doctor in 7-10 days but the unofficial quick glance from the doctor on duty says no sign of fracture. :):):):):):):):):):)

Granted am still in pain but sore muscles and ligaments are a) easier to run on and b) heal a lot quicker.

Back to the physio I go.....

Hey PM. I'm over on the Improvers thread mostly but I do follow this thread as I was that soldier last year so really interested in how you all are getting on with the trials and tribulations of training for your first marathon. I'm delighted to hear that there is a chance you might make the start line now even though its a slim one. You have contributed so much to this thread.you deserve to be there. Best of luck over the next few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

RedRunner wrote: »
    Hey PM. I'm over on the Improvers thread mostly but I do follow this thread as I was that soldier last year so really interested in how you all are getting on with the trials and tribulations of training for your first marathon. I'm delighted to hear that there is a chance you might make the start line now even though its a slim one. You have contributed so much to this thread.you deserve to be there. Best of luck over the next few weeks!

I'm most definitely making the start line - even if it's on crutches :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

Love this idea too I couldn't have done the training programme without the support of this group and would love to be able to give an extra bit of support to someone on the day and vice versa - I like the ribbon idea as it would be really easy to tie a yellow ribbon round ...... Well lets vote for a ribbon colour and where to tie it ;-)

peggysue2 wrote: »
    Love this idea too I couldn't have done the training programme without the support of this group and would love to be able to give an extra bit of support to someone on the day and vice versa - I like the ribbon idea as it would be really easy to tie a yellow ribbon round ...... Well lets vote for a ribbon colour and where to tie it ;-)

I cant see a lot of the guys going for the ribbons but you never know! :D
    I like the idea of the username...it would defo be easy to recognise everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

rasher_m wrote: »
    I cant see a lot of the guys going for the ribbons but you never know! :D
    I like the idea of the username...it would defo be easy to recognise everyone.

Don't do it folks. There is your real life persona, and there is your internet persona. The twain should never meet!

• Advertisement

murphd77 wrote: »
    Don't do it folks. There is your real life persona, and there is your internet persona. The twain should never meet!

ha...I'm onto you...I reckon you come on here after you come in from the pub and write your one liners :D

Advertisement