Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ncmc wrote: »
    I did consider that Meno, but then I was worried I'd mistime it and maybe have a delay when I got to the start line or even worse, miss the start! Maybe I could try a 3 mile warm up and then two mile cool down? 2 miles at the end shouldn't be too daunting.

Yeah, I was going to suggest that too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Another LSR done here today. I had a couple of gels with me, but I decided early on only to take them if I really needed them. Got a 500ml bottle of water after about 9 miles and that was all I took in the end. I was pretty tired from the start, but I managed to do 15 miles @ approx 8.30 pace and 5.5 @ 8.00 pace.
    In fairness, I was pretty empty at the end and the old legs are feeling the pace now. I made up for the lack of gels afterwards with a bagel with peanut butter, 2 glasses of milk, a muller corner yogurt and then Chili fries, burger and milkshake in Eddie Rockets about an hour later :D

The downside is that because I did my LSR today, I still have a 5 miler to do tomorrow, which I can see being a tricky one. But then it's taper time, Yippee!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Doh! Wrong marathon thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Doh! Wrong marathon thread
    Ha...was thinking we had a gatecrasher :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Trampas wrote: »
    Did 33km this morning at 6.12km pace.

Carried 4 gels about a dozen babies

Trampas you ran 33km carrying a dozen babies!! :eek:

Thats some going, how'd you manage the extra weight? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

LarMan wrote: »
    I need reassurance

So I finished my 20 mile run and it was a tough run. I ran from Bray out to Blanchardstown via the phoenix park.

I suppose I was hoping for a run where at the end I would feel good and that another 10K would be no problem. In the end I got a run where despite the pace being 6:10 which was what I was hoping to do and which is 30 seconds per KM slower than my marathon time. I was really suffering. I had to take a couple of walk breaks, one in the phoenix park as I ran up Chesterfield avenue and one a couple of kilometers later in CastleKnock.

My left Achilles was really sore which was a new one for me. At the end of the run I couldn't imagine being able to do another 10K and certainly not at marathon pace.

So someone tell me it will be OK on the day, that after taper on fresh legs, with the adrenaline from race day and the support of the crowds it will all come together on the day.

For what it's worth, I was feeling pretty bad at mile 11 today, I also had to walk taking a gel up Chesterfield ave, no aches and pains, but remember, this is the longest run you'll do before the 29th, it's also being done at the end of a 3 or 4 week cycle that seen your mileage increase and the intensity also increase.

So, as a wise man once said " it will be OK on the day, that after taper on fresh legs, with the adrenaline from race day and the support of the crowds it will all come together on the day"

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Thanks to everyone for posting about their LSRs today. So encouraging.

I'm doing my 20 mile LSR tomorrow. Going to have pasta now, watch some telly and then sleep. After last Sunday, my confidence about doing the marathon wasn't too high. However, I've had a good week running so here's hoping tomorrow will be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Doing the 3/4 marathon in Athlone tomorrow, even though I have ran 20 miles twice recently, Im strangely really nervous, maybe its the 130km drive to it that has my body in shock, when I live near the Phoenix Park. 😜😜

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Did my 20 lsr today in Phoenix Park today also, what a beautiful morning. Was dreading this all week, but went well in the end and has given me a bit of a lift. Dipped a but around 16 miles but picked it up again towards last 2 miles.

TAPER TIME ! Very very happy about this :)

SnailsPace wrote: »
    Doing the 3/4 marathon in Athlone tomorrow, even though I have ran 20 miles twice recently, Im strangely really nervous, maybe its the 130km drive to it that has my body in shock, when I live near the Phoenix Park. 😜😜

You'll be grand! Heading up as well. Might catch yourself and career_move up there.

• Advertisement

Very jealous of people being on taper while I still have a 20m tomorrow!!

Sick! Congrats to everyone today on their runs!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Thanks for the reassurance. It really helps having this group to whine to. A couple of days off now and legs will be fine for Tuesdays run. Best of luck to those doing their final LSR tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I wasn't too intimidated by the prospect of today's 32k as I got lost on my 29k a couple of weeks back and ended up doing 33k. But I've been finding pace on long runs a little inconsistent compared to shorter ones so my goal today, as well as finishing in one piece, was to try to make a consistent 6:15/k pace (PMP is 5:40).

My route was Glasnevin to Phibsboro, up the Royal Canal to Cabra, down to Phoenix Park, lap of the park then down the Kyber to Chapelizod Gate. Across to Memorial Gardens, up the Liffey Bank to Chapelizod, through the Park again and back to start via NCR and Phibsboro. Had my water belt with 2x400ml bottles, and two Kinetica gels (never having taken more than one on a run before I figured this would be my last chance to try them out before the 29th).

Set out at about 1:30m - lovely sunny day in Dublin, pleasantly warm but not too much so, gentle breeze. Ideal conditions and a change from the regular soakings I've been getting recently. Everything felt great for the first third - was bang on pace. Fell behind a little after 12k and although I was never off by more than 45 secs or so I didn't get back on track until 30k as I didn't want to blow up. The Park was lovely as always - fewer runners out than usual I thought. Most people don't make eye contact but got a few waves from some of the older-timers (plenty of grey myself) and a lovely friendly smile from a woman powering up toward the S-Bends. The most enjoyable stretch was along the Liffey by the boat clubs - lots of rowers out so plenty to look at (including a near collision between a lone skuller and an eight-woman boat).

Found the last 10k tough going it has to be said. Paced the gels evenly through the run - no problems but didn't feel much of a boost either. Right hamstring was feeling a bit twingy here and there, but don't think it's anything to worry about. Immediately after hitting the pace at 30k had to do a long uphill stretch from Mobhi Road to Albert College Park so fell behind again. Made it up on the last k to finish about 10 seconds ahead of schedule so it was good to have a strong finish.

Sore enough afterwards, it has to be said. Hard to imagine >42k at 5:40 after that, but I like to think that "it will be OK on the day - after taper on fresh legs, with the adrenaline from race day and the support of the crowds it will all come together on the day".

Good to read the other accounts and best of luck if you're doing yours in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Last LSR out of the way... Woohoo!!!
    After struggling with ITB pain on my previous 2 LSR s I was dreading today. I had dry needle treatment a couple of times since and it paid off big time! I taped my knee as a precaution and brought an ITB strap In case the pain really kicked in. I started out nice and easy and couldnt believe that I didn't feel a niggle by mile 10. I ran along nicely taking in water and a couple of gets at mile 6 and 12 and by mile 15 I was thinking that I could run 26 today! The mood changed at mile 17 though as my right ITB started to niggle at the knee. To date I never had problems on my right knee so this was unusual. I used the ITB strap to keep it at bay and to allow me to run back to car.it worked and I struged on. Big mistake after that. I took some jelly babies that I picked up at shop when buying my hi5 gels.. Bad move.. My stomach cramped big time at mile 19. I seriously thought J was going to die. (drama queen). I kept going to 20 but it wasn't a pleasant experience.
    My car was another 2 miles away as I had planed a walk to cool down. I walked a mile but was so impatient to get back to car that I ran the last mile. Note to self... Jelly babies are evil!!!!
    I was shattered by the tIme I got home.. Can't imagine another 4.2 mile on top of that!!!

Well done to everyone on LSRs today and good luck to anyone doing Athlone tomorrow.

Taper is here... TG!!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Alanm

blockic wrote: »
    SnailsPace wrote: »

You'll be grand! Heading up as well. Might catch yourself and career_move up there.

Doing Athlone too and like a few others, will be glad to get the last long run done! Great to hear how people are doing.

What pace are people planning to do this race at? Would I be mad to even consider attempting pmp? (my pmp is 5:20 while I averaged 4:40 min/km for half so my pmp might be on the comfortable side?)

Alanm wrote: »
    Doing Athlone too and like a few others, will be glad to get the last long run done! Great to hear how people are doing.

What pace are people planning to do this race at? Would I be mad to even consider attempting pmp? (my pmp is 5:20 while I averaged 4:40 min/km for half so my pmp might be on the comfortable side?)

Good stuff Alan.

I'm planning to run first half of it at about 40 seconds slower than PMP and hopefully pick it up to about 20 seconds slower for the second half of it.

Dont want to put all my energy into this race but at the same time be near enough to what im going to do in Dublin. so i see how i feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

So tired tonight now, did my last LSR yesterday forenoon n must admit found it very tough n struggled with really tired legs n shoulders during last couple miles, was so glad to finish n really felt couldn't run another mile, not helped by fact I needed 3 toilet breaks n was glad to get stopped in a hotel for water n tbh the break! Was really slow too n wonder how on earth gonna run more miles a good faster n hopefully without having something like 20-30 mins stoppage ! Then had meeting last night n my twins birthday party for 40 kids today so absolutely shattered now n glad to get to bed shortly, reading this thread n realising not the only 1 finding this last long run tough helps n is reassuring. Good luck all running tomorrow either athlone 3/4 or LSR. Nite all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

20m LSR also complete today. Mrs. Dilbert ran out the road towards Wexford town while I drove there, parked up and ran home (she collected the car). Decided to follow a similar plan to someone else here (Runningking?) - slow 2 miles to start, 10m @ LSR pace, 6m @PMP & 2m to cool down. Had the usual problem staying slow during the first 12m but managed it quite ok (I thought).

Fast bit went well too, apart from the bit where I was booting along listening to Phil Cawley on Today FM and heard this guttural roar behind me. Turned around to be met by a Rottweiler salivating as he shook me with the volume of his barking. Stopped dead (nearly literally) and had to "be a tree" for a minute - he got bored then and wandered off for himself. No idea where he came from or went to but it wasn't the most pleasant experience. His owner could do with a good kick in the backside - it's their fault the dog was allowed to wander, not the dog's.

Other than that, I was ok. Took 100ml of a protein drink before I started, had 750ml of water with electrolyte on the way, took a couple of jelly babies here and there (came home with half of what I brought out, which was unusual), took one gel around 11m and stopped for another bottle of water (with more electrolyte) 6m from home. Got home feeling fairly fecked - another 10k would have been a huge stretch - but once I got some food I was better. Took a shot at the foam roller and marathon stick then and hopefully that will have been enough to allow me be mobile tomorrow.

Only other thing of note is that it looks like my Garmin watch is starting the long goodbye - it's started needing increasingly frequent soft resets and today it seems to have missed a lot of data in the first 10m - it now thinks that I ran that distance at between 50 & 75km/h!:eek: It seems to have figured that I was running for just over 3hrs but my moving time was around 1:50 - although I was switching between screens, I wasn't stopping and starting either the watch or the run - and it was giving me pace feedback the whole time. It's strange - but I'll be lost without it if it does give up the ghost.:( (And I'd rather not spend STG£160 on a new one)

Let the taper madness begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

I ran the Galway Half M yesterday. Before hand we planned out how we would go through 5km in 26-7 mins and go through 10km in about 57-8 mins and come home in just under 2 hours. Well I had a rush of blood and went through 10km in 51 mins. A new PB but not one I partucuarly wanted. The second half was tortorous and I came home in 1.56. A great time for me but I was annoyed with myself as i was completely banjaxed at the finish line and did not get all I wanted out of this run. However better that I made stupid mistakes like that yesterday rather than on the day of the marathon.
    I was speaking to a wiser person than my self afterwards and they say our problem ar the moment is that we are chock full of running due to the long miles we are putting in but that energy needs to be rationed out over 42km. We live and learn. As someone said to me last night a tactic of "go till you blow" is never going to end well

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bren69

Heading out shortly for my 20m LSR. Well done everyone on getting through yesterday's run. Enjoy the madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

blockic wrote: »
    Trampas you ran 33km carrying a dozen babies!! :eek:

Thats some going, how'd you manage the extra weight? :pac:

That is why I had to eat a few of them.

I am sure I am not the only one but everyone can relate using their own figures

HM 5.07/8 pace
    20 mils at 6.12pace
    MP hopefully 5.40/41

And thinking how the fk can I run 5.40 for 26 miles.

I just have to believe but me personally seem to be able to get into a pace and just keep going at the same pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I'm so proud to join the '20 miler under the belt' club:D After missing so much training through injury and starting to doubt that DCM was for me, I'm so happy to be well on track for the big day. Headed out this morning, took a nice steady slow pace and did 20.3 miles in 3hrs31. It was surprisingly easier than the 18 miler I did 3 weeks ago which goes to show that fitness is still there and those countless miles on the bike when not running must have worked! My only niggle was my hip which had been injured a few months ago - I had stopped doing the physio exercises for it so I guess I'll be concentrating on that over the next few weeks. TAPER TIME :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

Just had a disastrous 32km LSR.

Only got a couple of hours sleep last night due to circumstances beyond my control, whether or not this played a part in my blowing up I don't know.

I was already plodding about 20s slower than the slow-end of my recommended LSR pace (which is 7:15/Km, based on my 2h11m Half Marathon). Well at around the 19km mark I simply had to stop running. My knees were wobbly, I had difficulty breathing and I felt dizzy and nauseous. After sitting down for a while and getting cold, I walked/trotted home with morale at an all-time low.

Seriously considering throwing in the towel at this stage. How on earth am I supposed to run twice that distance at a faster pace? I feel like it would relieve a good deal of pressure/stress to put it off till another year when I feel more prepared.

Anyway sorry for the negative talk, I've been reading the thread intently and there's been some savage running going on, people powering through injuries and all so fair play to ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

sweep22 wrote: »

Only got a couple of hours sleep last night due to circumstances beyond my control, whether or not this played a part in my blowing up I don't know.

I was already plodding about 20s slower than the slow-end of my recommended LSR pace (which is 7:15/Km, based on my 2h11m Half Marathon). Well at around the 19km mark I simply had to stop running. My knees were wobbly, I had difficulty breathing and I felt dizzy and nauseous. After sitting down for a while and getting cold, I walked/trotted home with morale at an all-time low.

Seriously considering throwing in the towel at this stage. How on earth am I supposed to run twice that distance at a faster pace? I feel like it would relieve a good deal of pressure/stress to put it off till another year when I feel more prepared.

Anyway sorry for the negative talk, I've been reading the thread intently and there's been some savage running going on, people powering through injuries and all so fair play to ye!

Id say if you had a stressful night/morning then this would have a lot to do with it. you cant throw the towel in, its only 3 weeks away and were nearly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Everyone has bad runs especially thru lack of sleep. I was up during the night with my baby before our twelve mile run and I could not even run six miles. The following week I ran fifteen with no problems. Lack of sleep with definitely have hindered you.keep the faith! It will be different on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Can anyone tell me What pace do the five hour pacers run at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I'd throw in the towel if I was you ....

If you're planning on running the marathon whilst stressed out, after 2 hours sleep and after pushing yourself to the max for the previous 3-4 weeks. ;)

Since you're going to be refreshed, well tapered, relaxed and with a great nights sleep behind you you're in no position to throw in that towel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Why quit now? Synpthoms you have described above have sweet f.a. to do with your level of fitness. It's a bad day at the office.

If you let us know your pre lsr preparation (ie from 2or3 days out) then we may be able to pass on some tips. I went from a nightmare 14 miler 5 weeks from my last marathon in June to finishing sub 3.30 on the day. Preparation is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

You can't give up now sweep. I think you did amazingly well to even attempt the biggest run of the program after only 2 hours sleep, plenty of folk wouldn't have even tried! So what if you go at a slower pace anyway, get well rested, eat well and I bet you surprise yourself on oct 29th :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I've not posted in a while as I have been going through a crisis of confidence in my ability to do the full marathon. I have been struggling with distances over the half. My run 28k run 2-weeks ago was a disaster, got to 22k fine, then my legs just died and I had no energy. Ended up walking 2 of the last 6 kms, by the time I got home, my legs felt like 10 tonne weights, I felt dizzy and light headed and I was shivering, even though it wasn't cold. As a result I was very down and did a lot of soul searching wondering if I had bitten off more than I could chew with this one. I wend back and looked through what I was doing to see if I could find out where I was going wrong, as I was sure there was something given that the first 21kms of my runs were going fine and were very comfortable. I came to the conclusion that my problem was that I wasn't drinking enough on my runs. I was trying to carry my drinks on my run which limited how much I had with me. In one last desperate attempt to see if this was my problem, I set out on my 32km LSR this morning after stashing 330m bottles of water laced with high5 electrolyte tablets at 5k intervals along my route, same as the water stop frequency on the Dublin Marathon. I wasn't entirely convinced but was determined to see if the lack of liquid was leading to me becoming dehydrated resulting in me falling off the cliff.

First 20kms were pretty much the same as previous runs, very comfortable with no ill effects. Once I hit 20kms, I ran on, waiting for the familiar sudden empty feeling in my legs, nothing. Got to 24kms, still nothing, my legs were starting to feel tired but didn't feel that they were giving up on me. Got to 29km where I hit the first of 2 killer hills that I have at the end of my runs, felt ok so decided to give it a go and try to run it. It was hard going and my legs were complaining but still no cliff. Then at 31kms I got to the second, steeper hill, that always gets me. I wasn't going to give up and walk now after my run had gone so well, so I forced myself to run up it. I was so glad to get to the top of it for the last 500m downhill stretch to my finish. I am thrilled that I managed to run the whole 32km without any walking stops, had a couple of pit stops due to the extra drink I was having but other than that i ran.

I finished about 2 hours ago and my legs are stiff but there is no sign of the empty lead weighted legs, lighted headedness or dizziness so I think I may have solved my problem, just a pity I couldn't have solved it earlier and not gone through all the heartache. I am delighted after today's run and have a renewed sense of optimism that I might actually be able to do this after all.

Now for the taper madness that I have heard so much about. Sorry for the ramble and thanks for reading this far

Advertisement