Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

docrock wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem with gels, they taste ok but my stomach is a bit dodgy after taking them but its a bit late to be experimenting too much at this stage. I find that I'm feeling a bit sick at the later stages of the long runs which IMO is due to not eating enough as i'm drinking loads during the run - its more a feeling of being sick from lack of food than over eating if you know what I mean. A friend of mine eats mini chocolate bars towards the end long runs but I dont know I could end up worse off. I have tried jelly beans (the ones in holland & barrett) & jellies which take the edge off but I feel that I need something more than them but less than something like a banana.Might try one or two of the chocolate bars this weekend & see how I get on. What are other people trying???

I did my 20 miles on Sat and brought along some of the Belvita breakfast biscuits. I think they are meant to be slow release carb etc etc. I had one gel, a few jelly babies and 1 1/2 biscuits over the run. While I was stretching waiting for the traffic lights to change, I munched away on them. It was good to feel like you're getting food in as you get pretty sick of just liquids. Think I'll take them along again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

curr33 wrote: »
    I did my 20 miles on Sat and brought along some of the Belvita breakfast biscuits. I think they are meant to be slow release carb etc etc. I had one gel, a few jelly babies and 1 1/2 biscuits over the run. While I was stretching waiting for the traffic lights to change, I munched away on them. It was good to feel like you're getting food in as you get pretty sick of just liquids. Think I'll take them along again.
    I tried some sports jellies yesterday during my race. Apparently 5 of these jellies are equivalent to one gel, there are about 8/9 jellies in the packet. I munched these throughout the race and took one gel (I would normally take two gels during a long run like that). I have to say I felt great with just taking the jellies, one gel and water; it was nice to have something solid rather than just liquid and gels. Can’t remember the brand at the moment, I’ll check when I get home. I got them on recommendation of the guy in my local sports shop, I was going to try a power bar or something similar, but he thought that a bar might be difficult to eat while running. I liked the jellies and will definitely be taking a couple of packets with me on the 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Hi guys

I've updated our sheet for next weeks runs.

I've also added another sheet which may be of interest. It's basically a sheet that you can fill in (if you want to of course) if you're planning to run with any of the pace groups. My idea here is it might make sense motivation wise on the day if the members of the group here know each other in advance as being aiming for the same time / running in the same group. This would be completely seperate to Blockics idea to make ourselves recognisable in general.

Great idea (although as pointed out, with 1,000's on the day probably need a way of recognizing each other). I'm going for a 4.45 time though which falls between pacers - do you mind if I add row to the sheet? Hoping any other boardies aiming for similar time and fancy some company can add their names and can sort out to meet.
    Know from meeting up with shortie_chik makes big difference having someone to chat/moan to when going gets tough and don't really fancy running almost 5hrs on my lonesome...:(

Sooo glad got the 20 miler done and dusted on Sat morning....! Well done to everyone and hope those it didn't go so well for get their confidence back for the big day. Was a real 'marathon buzz' on the route we went (From Phoenix park, skipped chapelizod then followed route to the end, then back via start of race route). Got passed my good few runners (clearly aiming for better times than us..), good few shout outs of 'Go on girls' from random cyclists & pedestrians (incl one V sleazy old man...:eek:) and even had a man in a tiger costume run with us over O'Connell bridge (didn't take up my offer of join us for the full 20 miler though... wonder why...:rolleyes:)

Felt grand after Sat run so decided to do a hill walk on Sunday (just a 2hr gentle ish one though).. The woke up this morning with painful tightness on the front of my lower legs.. v weird, never had it before and not sure if was the run or the hills..Hoping extensive foam rolling this evening will sport me out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

curr33 wrote: »

I bought these Belvita bikkies this weekend actually, was just snacking on them but never thought of them as a carb. I might take them on the 12 miler next weekend.
    I'm actually having a problem with bringing food with me. My pouch only really holds 4 gels and I'd really like to bring a banana on the day. I feel I need something more than jellies. Anyone know if people hand out bananas?
    Or maybe I'll have to ask someone to bring one on route for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

rasher_m wrote: »
    I bought these Belvita bikkies this weekend actually, was just snacking on them but never thought of them as a carb. I might take them on the 12 miler next weekend.
    I'm actually having a problem with bringing food with me. My pouch only really holds 4 gels and I'd really like to bring a banana on the day. I feel I need something more than jellies. Anyone know if people hand out bananas?

You could roll up a piece of paper with 'Please give me a banana' written in big letters, hold up the crowd as you run along and I betcha some lovely random person on the sidelines would hand you one...;)

• Advertisement

FiiFii wrote: »
    You could roll up a piece of paper with 'Please give me a banana' written in big letters, hold up the crowd as you run along and I betcha some lovely random person on the sidelines would hand you one...;)

:D Or i might end up with your Tiger running behind me:P

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Tesco have those Belvita biscuit thingies on promo at the moment. It's €2 for a box instead of usually (I think) €3.49. Could stock up for the next few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

My running belt pouch only holds 2 gels, any ideas how to carry extras?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

RayCun wrote: »
    Yes, that's too close. All through taper people are going to be thinking that they need to get in one more long run, that they need an extra few miles for a bit of a confidence boost. What you need is to give your body a chance to recover before the marathon, to let those niggles ease away and let your energy stores build up again, so that at 9am on the 29th you are ready to go.

2 x 20 mile runs is fine, you don't need any more.

Some plans call for a 15-17m run this coming weekend, all depending on the plan your on, you could get a ego boosting 17m run while tapering at the same time.
    Yeah the plan I following gives 16m run this coming weekend so still long enough! Was at a meeting re the marathon on Friday nite n well warned against doing anything over the 16 n that everyone will feel they need /should have done more but def don't !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Tough 20 miler here as well over the weekend. 2 weeks ago I done the 19 miler with 10 miles at 9.50 m/m average pace, which was around my PMP, and an overall pace of 10.35 m/m, decided I was going to do the 20 easy and set out at 11 m/m. Knew it was going to be bad when I found the first 2 miles hard but kept plugging on and got to 18 mile still bang on 11 m/m, completely blew up and had to walk most of the last 2 miles, I had 2 gels and enough water during the run so don't think that was the problem. Hoping I was just run down and the next 3 weeks will sort me out, I was thinking of going with 4.15 pacers but definitely going to go with 4.30 pacers now, I can always push later if feeling ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

ncmc wrote: »
    I tried some sports jellies yesterday during my race. Apparently 5 of these jellies are equivalent to one gel, there are about 8/9 jellies in the packet. I munched these throughout the race and took one gel (I would normally take two gels during a long run like that). I have to say I felt great with just taking the jellies, one gel and water; it was nice to have something solid rather than just liquid and gels. Can’t remember the brand at the moment, I’ll check when I get home. I got them on recommendation of the guy in my local sports shop, I was going to try a power bar or something similar, but he thought that a bar might be difficult to eat while running. I liked the jellies and will definitely be taking a couple of packets with me on the 29th.

I'd say they are GU Chomps, had them for my race also yesterday, found them a good change from gels and gonna carry a pack on race day.

Also....21days!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

My sister just gave me a book...."Run Fat Bitch Run"......

......either she thinks I'm fat or she's trying to psyche me out so I don't beat her marathon time :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

blockic wrote: »
    I'd say they are GU Chomps, had them for my race also yesterday, found them a good change from gels and gonna carry a pack on race day.

Yep - my marathon run nutrition will include:
    4 Gels (GU - 2xStrawberry & Bannana / 2xVanilla Bean w/caffeine)
    1 Pckt Sports Beans from Wheelworx (cant source them anywhere else?)
    I find the Gu Chomps too big, so I use the cola flavoured chews (powerbar brand) from AK - will bring 4 or 5 to nibble on.

I'll also bring some of the Zero tabs (halved) to place in the water bottles.

I have a pair of those cargo shorts (Ron Hill) that I bought in AK - plenty of pockets in these for all gels/chews etc.
    Shorts are surprisingly light.

Might also sneak a Nurofen, just in case!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

murphd77 wrote: »
    14,300 entrants suggests that there could be at least 1,000 in each pace group though - might not be too easy to find people!

WOW - that's near biblical. 1,000+ people legging it down the road after 2/3 dudes with a flag in a backpack. That's not going to be that easy to follow. :eek: Ha - approaching the finish line 1,000 people trying to get past the pacers might also make for an interesting experience too. :D

FiiFii wrote: »
    Great idea (although as pointed out, with 1,000's on the day probably need a way of recognizing each other). I'm going for a 4.45 time though which falls between pacers - do you mind if I add row to the sheet? Hoping any other boardies aiming for similar time and fancy some company can add their names and can sort out to meet.
    Know from meeting up with shortie_chik makes big difference having someone to chat/moan to when going gets tough and don't really fancy running almost 5hrs on my lonesome...:(

Done it for you there. :)

Yep - my marathon run nutrition will include:
    4 Gels (GU - 2xStrawberry & Bannana / 2xVanilla Bean w/caffeine)
    1 Pckt Sports Beans from Wheelworx (cant source them anywhere else?)
    I find the Gu Chomps too big, so I use the cola flavoured chews (powerbar brand) from AK - will bring 4 or 5 to nibble on.

I'll also bring some of the Zero tabs (halved) to place in the water bottles.

I have a pair of those cargo shorts (Ron Hill) that I bought in AK - plenty of pockets in these for all gels/chews etc.
    Shorts are surprisingly light.

Might also sneak a Nurofen, just in case!!

Ha, was going to ask were you bringing a trailer before that last bit!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Fearg72 wrote: »
    Hello. First Post. Getting nervous about the run. Anyway, here's my background:

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Have done many triathlons over the last number of years. But going for first marathon this year, so even though I'm 40 all PBs from this year and they are usually PBs because they are the only time that I have raced and been offically times over that distance..
    10k PB: 42.24 2012
    20 Mile PB 2.41.24
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!
    No
    How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant.
    5 or 6 runs per week about 55 miles plus two crosstraining sessions per week.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Sub 3.30
    How many days a week can you train?
    Why are you running this marathon?
    Turned 40!

So I have been following the training schedule on the Dublin marathon website and reading the web etc to educate myself. I am getting nervous because I feel that I have put a lot or preparation / training miles in the bank and now I want to get my best possible time.

For the 20 miler just over a week ago, I did the fast finish long run recommended by the McMillan Website. These were my splits:
    First 5 miles 42:20
    Second 5 miles 42:35
    Third 5 miles 39:02
    Fourth 5 miles 37:21 (mile splits for the last 5 miles were 7:20, 07:35, 07:28, 07:29, 07:29)

My question to any experienced runners is for advice on what my optimal race pace should be. I want to do the best time possible. I am not content with just finishing. Although, to be honest, I am intimidated by the distance.

Theres a lot of people reading these splits in awe. They're amazing. Especially the last 5!

3:30 is more than realistic for you - maybe stick with it and enjoy the run.
    If you want to push it a bit, maybe run for a 3:20 pace - means you wont be running with a pacing group, but you'll be surprised the number of people (me included) who are aiming for 3:20. I've done a comfortable 20 miles in 2:40 as well so 3:20 would be in the ball park (if you want to push it a bit).

WOW - that's near biblical. 1,000+ people legging it down the road after 2/3 dudes with a flag in a backpack. That's not going to be that easy to follow. :eek: Ha - approaching the finish line 1,000 people trying to get past the pacers might also make for an interesting experience too. :D

I was talking to a guy after the Dublin half and he said anyone following the 4 hr pacers were queueing at the finish line to get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

;)
    I was talking to a guy after the Dublin half and he said anyone following the 4 hr pacers were queueing at the finish line to get in.

Haha are you serious? If so it's amazing how chinese whispers go around. I was one of the 4hr pacers last year and we had a fair crowd all the way around but there was no queueing to be done at the finish

You can still check out the video from last years race to get an Idea:

menoscemo wrote: »
    ;)

Haha are you serious? If so it's amazing how chinese whispers go around. I was one of the 4hr pacers last year and we had a fair crowd all the way around but there was no queueing to be done at the finish

Yeah I'm serious that he said that...I defo didnt mistake what he said to me with regards to the queueing...maybe not chinese whispers more like blantently lying by the looks of the video.

He also said he was vomiting at mile 21 so maybe he was just trying to horrify me :confused:

• Advertisement

;)

WOW - Cheers for that menoscemo! Bit of a shock to the system that, it's absolutely jointed!!

I'm assuming its not as packed as that if your not around a pacer?

Hope I'm not the guy being carried off with 100m to go!

WOW - Cheers for that menoscemo! Bit of a shock to the system that, it's absolutely jointed!!

There's actually 2 in that video. Scary stuff. But looks like the stewards were carrying them over the line.

haha..I was just thinking the same thing...

I think it's pretty packed all the way round if you are running 3:30+ to be honest. Did you see the thousands in and around us comeing through the park at 5 miles? :eek:
    It doesn't seem as bad when you are running though as when you look at the video...

You can check out the results of random people here and then look at the videos: http://dublinmarathon.ie/results.php just lick the 2011 marathon in the drop down

I think it's pretty packed all the way round if you are running 3:30+ to be honest. Did you see the thousands in and around us comeing through the park at 5 miles? :eek:
    It doesn't seem as bad when you are running though as when you look at the video...

You can check out the results of random people here and then look at the videos: http://dublinmarathon.ie/results.php just lick the 2011 marathon in the drop down

I had gone to do this earlier when it was first mentioned about the queue at 4 hours but couldn't see where the videos had gone to. Looks like they got taken down ?

There was one guy in our group had been with us all along who stopped dead at the green carpet with 50m to go, you can see in one of the videos I turn to my pacing buddy and was suggesting we go back and get him. Would have made us look like right heroes :D but sadly the crowds and the noise just meant the moment passed and we jogged in to the finish...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yeah, the angle of the video makes it looks worse than it feels when you're running. That said, I did feel crowded running in the 4 hour pace group two years ago, and in places last year with the 3.30 guys. If you trust yourself, you can drop back a bit behind the pacers to keep them in sight but have more space, or run just in front of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

;)

Oh my.... That is actually quite unpleasant. Stupidly, it never occurred to me that it would be so crowded. I'm not madly fond of huge crowds and get a bit claustrophobic, don't know how I'll cope with that. How is it possible to over take anyone? And how are there not accidents with people stopping and tripping other people up!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Oh my.... That is actually quite unpleasant. Stupidly, it never occurred to me that it would be so crowded. I'm not madly fond of huge crowds and get a bit claustrophobic, don't know how I'll cope with that. How is it possible to over take anyone? And how are there not accidents with people stopping and tripping other people up!

Whoops

• Advertisement

If you look at the video '50m before finish' you get a better Idea and it is not as bad as it seems from other angles (camera is above the crowd). The roads are really very wide for most of the course and there is never any danger to be honest. (With he wave starts, everyone is pretty much travelling at the same pace). The only tight part is going up the crumlin Rd near the half way point.

If you really don't like crowds then start a few hundred metres behind the pacers and try to hold the gap, but as I say it is pretty dense for the first 10miles or so no matter where you are. It starts to thin out a bit after that.

Advertisement