Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 saligator

Deedee, are you going with the 5h pacers? Besides FiiFii (who I met through this thread), I don't know anyone else doing the DCM so would be nice to spot some friendly faces! :D[/QUOTE]

i will be going with the 5 hour pacers too and would love to know some friendly faces!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

saligator wrote: »
    Deedee, are you going with the 5h pacers? Besides FiiFii (who I met through this thread), I don't know anyone else doing the DCM so would be nice to spot some friendly faces! :D

i will be going with the 5 hour pacers too and would love to know some friendly faces!

Saligator, I'll be hanging around down the back, near the 5h pacers too! Fiifii (who I also met through this thread! :)) can be the gathering point ;) Then we'll have to clear off & let her run off ahead :P

Edit: Doh! I've just realised that was ME you were quoting above. Scarleh :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

menoscemo wrote: »
    Several of the lads on this forum ran 2 marathons in 1 day a few months back.

2 of the pacers for DCM ran over 140miles in 1 day last month at the world 24hr championships. That's almost 5.5 marathons :eek:
    Thats CRAZY talk :D:D

Woohoo my run today brings me over 500 miles since June 18th :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

RayCun wrote: »
    Yes, that's too close. All through taper people are going to be thinking that they need to get in one more long run, that they need an extra few miles for a bit of a confidence boost. What you need is to give your body a chance to recover before the marathon, to let those niggles ease away and let your energy stores build up again, so that at 9am on the 29th you are ready to go.

I'm thinking of doing a PT session once a week: focusing on stretching, some interval training, that type of thing. Anyone else doing any extra cross training?

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    Use the extra time for friends & family, after all they haven’t being seeing too much of you over the past few weeks.
    And remember the first marathon is all about the experience, not the time. People have become a bit fixated on time, forget it, it will be a much more bearable, enjoyable and memorable day if you run to you ability and not the clock!!

Thanks YoungAnne for the reminder about time. I liked what you said about spending time with family and friends.

As soon as taper time started, I've been telling anyone who cares to listen that I'm running the marathon and asking them to sponsor me. I haven't had time to do fundraising activities so this is my way of getting people to donate. It seems to be working.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

The word on the street is that it will be great craic with the 4:15 pacers.. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Mrs Noc wrote: »
    As soon as taper time started, I've been telling anyone who cares to listen that I'm running the marathon ...

I'm still keeping to myself, but finding it harder & harder. I'm dying to just tell everyone "I'm training for the marathon y'know!" :D Only 3 weeks to go til I can talk about it! :eek:

digger2d2 wrote: »
    The word on the street is that it will be great craic with the 4:15 pacers.. ;):D
    Definitely...................Marthastew is a legend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Deedee, are you going with the 5h pacers? Besides FiiFii (who I met through this thread), I don't know anyone else doing the DCM so would be nice to spot some friendly faces! :D

Saligator, I'll be hanging around down the back, near the 5h pacers too! Fiifii (who I also met through this thread! :)) can be the gathering point ;) Then we'll have to clear off & let her run off ahead :P

I am hoping to go with five hour pacers too if not too packed !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Definitely...................Marthastew is a legend!!

:D

People need to start respecting the 5 hour stragglers - we've plenty of room by the looks of things :D

5 hours stragglers...yippee for us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Mrs Noc wrote: »
    People need to start respecting the 5 hour stragglers - we've plenty of room by the looks of things :D

5 hours stragglers...yippee for us!!

GO STRAGGLERS!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    GO STRAGGLERS!!!!!

Sounds like there will be plenty of us back there!!

Also
    I saw this thread on runners world and was amused to see that What Time is a fascination everywhere

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/marathoners/first-marathon-goal-time/.0

Also our mentors are nicer and less egotistical

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Yeah I'll be like 100 yards ahead.....and you'll then all overtake me & prove the point of slow and steady wins the race (or completes the marathon without collapsing at Mile 25 in this instance..:p)

Sounds like some fun down the back anyway.... :D

Woohoo my run today brings me over 500 miles since June 18th :D:D

Congrats! Made me check mine and I've now got 400 miles since this plan started, yay:) When I think back to how delighted I was doing 8k non stop only back in Feb, now its a 'recovery run' and averaging 25 miles a week over the plan, just shows what you can do when you put your mind to it and make the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Little late to the party here but it's kinda fitting since i was one of these thread 2 years ago & had to leave due to injury...

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?

10k Tunnel Run - Aug 2012 - 56m
    10Mile Phoneix Park - Aug 2012 - 1h36m
    Dublin Half - Phoneix Park - Sept 2012 -2h13m

(Actually my PB for a half marathon is 2h01m but that was in 2010)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!

Nah not usually. Sometimes towards the end of the longer runs.

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant

3/4 Days a week. Usually 30-ish miles at present and broadly following Hal Hidgon Novice 1. No cross training at present.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

Ideally sub 4. But that isn't going to happen this year. Realistic time is approx 4h30m - 5h.

How many days a week can you train?

Pretty much all of them

Why are you running this marathon?

Unfinished business. Was signed up for DCM '10 & had to pull out 6 weeks beforehand due to injury.

I'm Male, late 20s & approx 100kgs. I have some running experience but pretty much had to rebuild fitness from the ground up.

I've only really been training properly since the start of July. I had been running properly 2 years ago, got injured and fell out of the habit for nearly a year. Slowly built it back up but only got back to 5kms earlier this year & 10kms in May this year.

One thing i could use some direction on. I missed the weekend before last(29/30 Sep) due to manflu. I decided after a bad run on the Thursday to take the next 2/3 days off to get over the cold/sore throat & skip that weeks long run. I did 17.5m last weekend (2h57m) & it's only reading this thread that i've realised that i miscalcuated ( Though i had another weekend).

So my plan is to get the 20 miler out of the way before this weekend & then hit the taper period. Little closer than it should be but the other option is to go straight to taper & i'm not a fan of that idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭WRENALDO

Is anyone here thinking of getting the Luas Red Line on the morning of the marathon just wondering if it is pushing it time wise?
    I have got that sometimes on a Bank Holiday going to work in town from the Saggart Luas stop.
    First Luas is at 07.10 between stops at Belgard and Red Cow (to change driver/new driver to have his cigarette etc :mad:) it has sometimes taken over an hour to get to Abbey Street so could be near 8.15ish by time gets into town.
    It is about a half hour walk to Fitzwilliam Square from there (dont wanting to be sprinting to the start line :) . Doesnt leave much time for proper warm-up , leaving a bag in etc.
    Maybe people coming up from the country and getting on at the Red-Cow may not be aware of this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

dechol wrote: »

I am hoping to go with five hour pacers too if not too packed !

I will starting with the 5 hour pace group too, looking forward to it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

WRENALDO wrote: »
    Is anyone here thinking of getting the Luas Red Line on the morning of the marathon just wondering if it is pushing it time wise?
    I have got that sometimes on a Bank Holiday going to work in town from the Saggart Luas stop.
    First Luas is at 07.10 between stops at Belgard and Red Cow (to change driver/new driver to have his cigarette etc :mad:) it has sometimes taken over an hour to get to Abbey Street so could be near 8.15ish by time gets into town.
    It is about a half hour walk to Fitzwilliam Square from there (dont wanting to be sprinting to the start line :) . Doesnt leave much time for proper warm-up , leaving a bag in etc.

I got the Red line in to town the last two years (okay, last year was later start, maybe not relevant) The trains seemed to be frequent enough, and it took no more than half an hour to get to Abbey Street from Bluebell. First train from Tallaght is 7am, first from Saggart is 7.10, so either of those would get you into town well before 8.

(I agree, by the way, that you should aim to get into town by 8, so you can stroll down to Merrion square and have plenty of time to drop a bag and get to the start pen.)

Loads of people take the LUAS in to the marathon, so it's a great journey. Every stop is full of people in their running gear, toting their plastic bags, and when you get off the train you're one of thousands of people converging on the start area from all directions...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The word on the street is that it will be great craic with the 4:15 pacers..
    Almost [but not quite] as good as the craic will be with the 4.30 pacers is what I heard :D:):cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Almost [but not quite] as good as the craic will be with the 4.30 pacers is what I heard :D:):cool:
    i've heard its a toss up between the 4:15 and 4:30 groups as to who's best looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

I'm considering scrapping Gels and just taking energy jellies instead.

I've had no bad experience taking chews (honey stonger organic chews) on long runs but I'm not 100% confident taking any gel.

In terms of absorbing the carbs etc, are gels much more efficient? If the jellies are just as good I would stick to them + water to keep me going.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

miguelk wrote: »
    I'm considering scrapping Gels and just taking energy jellies instead.

I've had no bad experience taking chews (honey stonger organic chews) on long runs but I'm not 100% confident taking any gel.

In terms of absorbing the carbs etc, are gels much more efficient? If the jellies are just as good I would stick to them + water to keep me going.

Thanks!

you can also try energy drinks. There'll be Spar ISO drinks on the course on the day - I'd recommend trying these on a run before hand (although the taste etc has improved on last year).

Generally 4-5 of these chews equate to 1 gel - so you need to be taking 20 chews to equal the 4 gels that people typically take. Thats a lot of chews!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

you can also try energy drinks. There'll be Spar ISO drinks on the course on the day - I'd recommend trying these on a run before hand (although the taste etc has improved on last year).

Generally 4-5 of these chews equate to 1 gel - so you need to be taking 20 chews to equal the 4 gels that people typically take. Thats a lot of chews!
    I agree with Running King, I took the jellies on my run on Sunday and while I thought they were great, I think they’re better as an accompaniment to gels rather than on their own. Personally, I would have struggled to eat 20 of them, especially towards the end of the run.

I suppose you could try the sports drink or what about getting someone to meet you along the way with a banana?

ncmc wrote: »
    I agree with Running King, I took the jellies on my run on Sunday and while I thought they were great, I think they’re better as an accompaniment to gels rather than on their own. Personally, I would have struggled to eat 20 of them, especially towards the end of the run.

I suppose you could try the sports drink or what about getting someone to meet you along the way with a banana?

Thanks for the advice. I won't totally rely on jellies so.

I've changed my gel recently and while it worked ok with 1 on my 20 miler I doubt I could have stomached a second so didn't chance it.

Took a pack of chews afterwards and they were grand.

I'll go loaded with the gels and chews and do a mix and match depending on how I'm feeling - If I can't get a banana from a family member I can always bring a "Banana please" sign as suggested by someone earlier!

Much appreciated.

I've changed my gel recently and while it worked ok with 1 on my 20 miler I doubt I could have stomached a second so didn't chance it.

I'll go loaded with the gels and chews and do a mix and match depending on how I'm feeling - If I can't get a banana from a family member I can always bring a "Banana please" sign as suggested by someone earlier!

Much appreciated.
    I love the idea of a 'banana please' sign! I think I am going to need to bring a roll along suitcase to hold the ever expanding list of things I am bringing on this run!

Much appreciated.

I was the same as you, not been able to stomach Gels on long runs & definitely didn't look fwd to taking them.
    I changed to GU brand recently and its like a revelation to me - no more sickly tastes - its a bit like eating mashed fruit (defo need water with it as its thick).

I was the same as you, not been able to stomach Gels on long runs & definitely didn't look fwd to taking them.
    I changed to GU brand recently and its like a revelation to me - no more sickly tastes - its a bit like eating mashed fruit (defo need water with it as its thick).
    Have you tried the chocolate flavour, nyom, nyom, it's like eating Nutella out of the jar!

Oh yes, it shouldn't work, but it does!

• Advertisement

No harm give it a lash on the 12 miler at the weekend.

Cheers.

Advertisement