Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Got a cold and what sounds like a minor chesty cough since Sunday, had to skip last night run and probably tonight's. As now we are in the tapering period I was wondering how those "sick days" will affect my performance on the D-day. Also should I recover those lost miles somehow? Or should I just take a rest and once I feel better continue to follow the traiing plan as nothing happened? I already missed so many run during the summer because of injury that I m a bit concerned. What reassures me is that I ran 22 miles last sunday in 3h27 min pretty comfortably, I just hope to be fit asap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

Hi there,

Has anyone tried ProSportsCare in Swords for a sports massage?

http://prosportscare.ie/

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

lmguillou wrote: »
    Got a cold and what sounds like a minor chesty cough since Sunday, had to skip last night run and probably tonight's. As now we are in the tapering period I was wondering how those "sick days" will affect my performance on the D-day. Also should I recover those lost miles somehow? Or should I just take a rest and once I feel better continue to follow the traiing plan as nothing happened? I already missed so many run during the summer because of injury that I m a bit concerned. What reassures me is that I ran 22 miles last sunday in 3h27 min pretty comfortably, I just hope to be fit asap!!

Rest up and get it out of your system. You have the hard work done already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm no expert, but I think it would be a massive mistake to start chasing lost miles at this stage, you have the hard work done, rest up and make sure you are 100% before starting back to run again. You don't want to ignore a bad chest, if you don't allow yourself to totally recover, you could make yourself a lot sicker in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

Anything chesty at this stage and I'd get straight to a doctor.
    They can hang around for a while - so if you need antibiotics, best to get them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Taper madness has started here I think. Hoping to do marathon in five hours but spent all of last night dreaming I was running it and winning ! All my family were clapping and cheering and I was flying along !! If only if could be like that on day ;)

snowman224 wrote: »
    Anything chesty at this stage and I'd get straight to a doctor.
    They can hang around for a while - so if you need antibiotics, best to get them now.
    Apparently a cold above the neck (head cold, sniffles, sneezing) and you can keep running. Anything below the neck (ie chest) requires time off and rest. And i'd agree with Snowman, no harm to see a doc, those things can linger.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286--9082-0,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

ncmc wrote: »
    Apparently a cold above the neck (head cold, sniffles, sneezing) and you can keep running. Anything below the neck (ie chest) requires time off and rest. And i'd agree with Snowman, no harm to see a doc, those things can linger.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286--9082-0,00.html

Yeah I read that yesterday, the thing is my cough is very minor, hard to say if it s chesty or not, anyway I will wait another 24 hours as I rested already 48, I already feel improvement but if Im still coughing tomorrow night I ll see a doc, thanks for all the advices!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Sometimes it does feel like the Gods are against this !!!

Caught a head cold / sore throat, runny nose, severe man flu ;) on the cycle on Monday. Have felt rotten since.

Back at phsyio today. I have official blessing to run the marathon from her with a couple of conditions attached.

1) I most likely won't be able to run for the entire thing and might need some walk breaks or indeed finish the thing at a walk. 5 hours may not be too realistic and I have to accept that. (Done :) - will do my best though to hang onto 5 hour pacers and see what happens on the day)

2) The more worrying part - once marathon is done I'm looking at 2-3 months off running. The injury will develop into a stress fracture if not fully rested. No running - but can cycle / swim etc to keep up cardio. (This is a bit of a pisser but even if I don't run the marathon I will still be advised to do the same 2-3 months break just starting now rather than November)

Need to allow a couple of days to shift the cold - feck all point trying to run through it but am hoping to get out on Friday for a run. Plan is to run a mile then walk for 5 minutes - then run another mile and see how things go. The concept here is to allow a walking break in to gently ease the muscles back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Just wondering, finished my big mileage end of last week as I had a wedding last weekend, unfortunately i picked up a bug and was very sick on saturday sunday and yesterday still feel slightly off today, lost alot of fluids over them two days Ill leave the rest to your imagination, im just wondering will this take anything away from any of the miles I already had in my legs and also how should I approach this week run, plan on trying to do 5 miles in abit, worried all the work i have put in to try get to 3:45 may be at risk...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

doledude86 wrote: »
    Just wondering, finished my big mileage end of last week as I had a wedding last weekend, unfortunately i picked up a bug and was very sick on saturday sunday and yesterday still feel slightly off today, lost alot of fluids over them two days Ill leave the rest to your imagination, im just wondering will this take anything away from any of the miles I already had in my legs and also how should I approach this week run, plan on trying to do 5 miles in abit, worried all the work i have put in to try get to 3:45 may be at risk...

Taper Madness!!

haha no I was genuinely sick and lost alot of fluid..is that really taper madness hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭WRENALDO

RayCun wrote: »
    I got the Red line in to town the last two years (okay, last year was later start, maybe not relevant) The trains seemed to be frequent enough, and it took no more than half an hour to get to Abbey Street from Bluebell. First train from Tallaght is 7am, first from Saggart is 7.10, so either of those would get you into town well before 8.

(I agree, by the way, that you should aim to get into town by 8, so you can stroll down to Merrion square and have plenty of time to drop a bag and get to the start pen.)

Loads of people take the LUAS in to the marathon, so it's a great journey. Every stop is full of people in their running gear, toting their plastic bags, and when you get off the train you're one of thousands of people converging on the start area from all directions...

Hey Raycun thanks a lot for the info . You have put my mind at ease much appreciated ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

haha no I was genuinely sick and lost alot of fluid..is that really taper madness hahaha

It might affect this weeks run if you are still dehydrated, but it won't have taken away from the months of fitness you have already built up.

Don't start going bananas if you have a bad run or two this week :D.

To be honest I am always happy if I get sick 2/3 weeks before a marthon: get's it out of the way and means that there is less chance I'll get sick the week of the marathon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Caught a head cold / sore throat, runny nose, severe man flu ;) on the cycle on Monday. Have felt rotten since.

Back at phsyio today. I have official blessing to run the marathon from her with a couple of conditions attached.

1) I most likely won't be able to run for the entire thing and might need some walk breaks or indeed finish the thing at a walk. 5 hours may not be too realistic and I have to accept that. (Done :) - will do my best though to hang onto 5 hour pacers and see what happens on the day)

2) The more worrying part - once marathon is done I'm looking at 2-3 months off running. The injury will develop into a stress fracture if not fully rested. No running - but can cycle / swim etc to keep up cardio. (This is a bit of a pisser but even if I don't run the marathon I will still be advised to do the same 2-3 months break just starting now rather than November)

Need to allow a couple of days to shift the cold - feck all point trying to run through it but am hoping to get out on Friday for a run. Plan is to run a mile then walk for 5 minutes - then run another mile and see how things go. The concept here is to allow a walking break in to gently ease the muscles back in.

Your a determined & stubborn SOB PM, glad you got the ok to carry out your dream. But rest up as physio advised after DCM, if you plan on continuing to run its the smart thing to do.

I don't think your fitness runs out of you along with the other stuff that was coming out of you ;)

I was in the same boat as you a couple of weeks ago Doledude, had a tummy bug, not as bad as what you're describing but enough to feel a bit crappy. I went ahead and did 19 miles against my own good judgement and had a crap run. Rested up for another couple of days, and was perfect then for the following week. One stomach bug isn’t going to ruin all your hard work! Just make sure you’re 100% and take it handy on your first run back. I felt it dented my confidence more than anything to have a bad run, so don’t be hard on yourself if you’re not at your best this week.

tang1 wrote: »
    Your a determined & stubborn SOB PM, glad you got the ok to carry out your dream. But rest up as physio advised after DCM, if you plan on continuing to run its the smart thing to do.

That's a great compliment :D

Yeah absolutely - will be resting up after the marathon running wise anyway. I genuinely love it and will not jeopardise the long term future. I'm already thinking of DCM 2013 coming from a stronger base etc.

ncmc wrote: »
    I don't think your fitness runs out of you along with the other stuff that was coming out of you ;)

I was in the same boat as you a couple of weeks ago Doledude, had a tummy bug, not as bad as what you're describing but enough to feel a bit crappy. I went ahead and did 19 miles against my own good judgement and had a crap run. Rested up for another couple of days, and was perfect then for the following week. One stomach bug isn’t going to ruin all your hard work! Just make sure you’re 100% and take it handy on your first run back. I felt it dented my confidence more than anything to have a bad run, so don’t be hard on yourself if you’re not at your best this week.

Thanks ncmc... put me at ease, I think i was just lucky I had already done my big runs so I was tapering anyway, I hope I dont get full blown taper madness over the next few weeks, even in work I think there sick of me haha

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

That's a great compliment :D

Yeah absolutely - will be resting up after the marathon running wise anyway. I genuinely love it and will not jeopardise the long term future. I'm already thinking of DCM 2013 coming from a stronger base etc.

I've never met you but I think you're a total hero.
    Been unlucky myself with injuries but not as much as you.
    The wife gives me a hard time about pushing myself too much and being too stubborn. Maybe I should introduce her to you!

From all you've posted here I'm sure you'll finish the marathon. Maybe not in the time you hoped but you could also surprise yourself on the day.

Hopefully see ya for a pint after! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

I feel like a bit of a fraud here ........... have been looking around the training programs, I'm a complete marathon novice who has been playing with triathlon for 5 years upto Half Ironman distance ...... going to have a crack at Dublin with only 6 weeks real running in me after the Galway 70.3 ............... I'm just up to 30km's with another long 32km planned later in the week ............ I thought for some reason it would be easier than it is (more fool me, though just makes me more determined) ........... my big question is that with so little running mileage in my legs can I get away with a 1 week taper ......... seems to work for me in longer triathlons ............... or should I do my 32km this week and then taper down .......... any advice gladly taken and sucked up !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Hi there, i picked up a stomach bug on monday and feeling very run down since. tried the 5 mile run last night. could only manage 3. I think the 8 is out tonight as well. I very rarley get any bug or sickness so wondering was it because my body is run down after 20 miler on sunday. should one be taking any specific supplements etc to help immune system. i feel for people out with injury as even though i was in bits yesterday after work i still went for the run. feel the same about 8 mile tonight but telling myself i could do more harm than good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Yippee - last pace run done and dusted......bring on the madness :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

must try your plan!

My plan has a 7*800 workout this week + an 18m run:eek: (think I'll cut these back)
    Next week its showing a few speed session inc 12*200 hills:mad:

All this is depending on my dodgy thigh/groin healing pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Good going, my last one is tonight, I see you have done some good milage since the start of the marathon training. Can I ask what plan (if any) have you been following. I have been doing the Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

you're an inspiration when i feel like throwing in the towel :D

I too have a rotten head cold, cant even take a few days off work as we're flat out. was in bed at 7.30 last night! going to rest up for a few days and attempt to get out over the weekend. it never ends, hip, ankle then cold..whats next? my legs falling off?!!

you're an inspiration when i feel like throwing in the towel :D

I too have a rotten head cold, cant even take a few days off work as we're flat out. was in bed at 7.30 last night! going to rest up for a few days and attempt to get out over the weekend. it never ends, hip, ankle then cold..whats next? my legs falling off?!!

I'm not tempting faith by even asking that kind of question !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

Anyone have a forerunner 110? Ran home from work this evening and it suddenly stopped. It did this at the half a few weeks ago when it was only new but I looked up the troubleshooting which said press light for it to go off and on again. Not working this time though. I don't want to carry my phone with me on the day but find it very hard to pace myself (without something). Any suggestions?

must try your plan!

My plan has a 7*800 workout this week + an 18m run:eek: (think I'll cut these back)
    Next week its showing a few speed session inc 12*200 hills:mad:

All this is depending on my dodgy thigh/groin healing pronto.
    I'm going for sub 4. You're going for sub 3.20......you have to pay the ferryman:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

curr33 wrote: »
    Anyone have a forerunner 110? Ran home from work this evening and it suddenly stopped. It did this at the half a few weeks ago when it was only new but I looked up the troubleshooting which said press light for it to go off and on again. Not working this time though. I don't want to carry my phone with me on the day but find it very hard to pace myself (without something). Any suggestions?

Hi Curr33, I am on my 3rd forerunner 110! Each time it just froze/ stopped like yours, I bought mine in B2R Ballymount and they always replaced them admitting that there definety seems to be a flaw with this watch and Garmin are soon bringing out a new version. Only suggestion would be to try and bring yours back and see will they replace yours for same flaw?

• Advertisement

LarMan wrote: »
    Good going, my last one is tonight, I see you have done some good milage since the start of the marathon training. Can I ask what plan (if any) have you been following. I have been doing the Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan
    I'm kind of a renegade HHN2 follower! I added in a recovery run most weeks, the day after the lsr. Think it helps a lot cause didn't do one this week when Athlone was Sunday and got a touch of DOMS in my left calf Monday evening. (Thankfully the stick sorted it out) I was also adding in random miles all over the place......I may as well face up to it and admit.....I am a running addict :eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement