Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Almost [but not quite] as good as the craic will be with the 4.30 pacers is what I heard :D:):cool:

Are you not turning up ;)

Just lashing through the last few pages here and I see a lot of colds/Man Flu etc. This is not uncommon, you've all pushed yourselves really hard in training. I've run four marathons and the most recent one in Berlin was the first one I've haven't had some form of man flu in the run up to.

So, give yourselves a break and stop worrying. Do the normal things like take lots of fluids and get some good sleeps etc. Pay attention to the ''above the neck below the neck'' thing and get off to a Doctor pronto if it's the latter.

Fluids/sleep/fluids/sleep ;)

Please note, I am not a medical professional and even if I was I wouldn't be giving medical advice for fear of raycun chasing me down for breaking charter rules ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Just lashing through the last few pages here and I see a lot of colds/Man Flu etc. This is not uncommon, you've all pushed yourselves really hard in training. I've run four marathons and the most recent one in Berlin was the first one I've haven't had some form of man flu in the run up to.

So, give yourselves a break and stop worrying. Do the normal things like take lots of fluids and get some good sleeps etc. Pay attention to the ''above the neck below the neck'' thing and get off to a Doctor pronto if it's the latter.

Fluids/sleep/fluids/sleep ;)

Please note, I am not a medical professional and even if I was I wouldn't be giving medical advice for fear of raycun chasing me down for breaking charter rules ;)
    Presume this only applies to the weaker species :p

Presume this only applies to the weaker species :p

I'm an equal opportunities pacer so I'll answer by saying ''That would be an ecumenical matter'' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

lrak wrote: »
    Hi Curr33, I am on my 3rd forerunner 110! Each time it just froze/ stopped like yours, I bought mine in B2R Ballymount and they always replaced them admitting that there definety seems to be a flaw with this watch and Garmin are soon bringing out a new version. Only suggestion would be to try and bring yours back and see will they replace yours for same flaw?

Oh crap, I bought it online from the UK. Have mailed Garmin product support and there is a number so will try that tomorrow. Will check the returns policy now....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

maybe post on the garmin mega thread in gear and equipment ..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

ultraman1 wrote: »
    maybe post on the garmin mega thread in gear and equipment ..

thanks Ultraman1, will give that a go now. I mailed the company in the UK where I ordered it from but by the time they get mine and send out a replacement, it will be cutting it fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

21 miler went well at weekend. decided to do half at marathon pace as haven't done pace run in awhile due to injury in late august/early sept. Finished half in 1.52 and did the rest as LSR. Felt good and strong after half.
    This is my 2nd marathon. On 1st marathon I finished in 3.57.21. Left 4 hr pacers at two miles to go and pushed on. Had plenty left in tank. Always do 8:50 - 9 minute miles on LSRs. Do you think a 3:45 finish is crazy or should I aim for a sub 3:55? Usually have a running buddy but she is not running this one so think I would like to have some company in a pace group (Though after seeing the video:eek: it looks like there will be company beside you every step of the way!)
    Love your thoughts

P.M. so glad you were given the all clear to run...your an inspiration!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

niteowl1 wrote: »
    21 miler went well at weekend. decided to do half at marathon pace as haven't done pace run in awhile due to injury in late august/early sept. Finished half in 1.52 and did the rest as LSR. Felt good and strong after half.
    This is my 2nd marathon. On 1st marathon I finished in 3.57.21. Left 4 hr pacers at two miles to go and pushed on. Had plenty left in tank. Always do 8:50 - 9 minute miles on LSRs. Do you think a 3:45 finish is crazy or should I aim for a sub 3:55? Usually have a running buddy but she is not running this one so think I would like to have some company in a pace group (Though after seeing the video:eek: it looks like there will be company beside you every step of the way!)
    Love your thoughts

P.M. so glad you were given the all clear to run...your an inspiration!

The 3:45 pace group is definitely the pace to be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

I just realised today I have no idea which wave I am in ? Is there somewhere which explains the wave timebands etc.. Or does your number say 12755 mean you are in a certain wave?

• Advertisement

SnailsPace wrote: »
    I just realised today I have no idea which wave I am in ? Is there somewhere which explains the wave timebands etc.. Or does your number say 12755 mean you are in a certain wave?

You can find out at the expo. If necessary they will give you a sticker to let you move up a wave. If you want to move back a wave no-one stops you....

menoscemo wrote: »

You can find out at the expo. If necessary they will give you a sticker to let you move up a wave. If you want to move back a wave no-one stops you....
    Thanks meno, i thought it was info I missed along the way, and after watching those videos, im panicking thinking im going to fet stuck behind a pacing group.

I think at the start of training 6 months ago when i entered i thought id be happy with 4:30 and I selected that timeband on the application , but now i believe I have a chance of sub4, so im looking to start ahead of 4:15 pacing group anyway, maybe even ahead of 4 hr group and do my own garmin virtual partner thing. But if i get stuck behind both those groups I presume I wont be a happy boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

miguelk wrote: »
    I'm considering scrapping Gels and just taking energy jellies instead.

I've had no bad experience taking chews (honey stonger organic chews) on long runs but I'm not 100% confident taking any gel.

In terms of absorbing the carbs etc, are gels much more efficient? If the jellies are just as good I would stick to them + water to keep me going.

Thanks!
    Make sure you try them on a long run first. I had a b&q experience on sat with jellies that I got in bike shop where I buy my gels. My somach cramped up badly and I was for we to walk/shuffle for a mile. It's not good to be trying anything new on the day.

Thanks meno, i thought it was info I missed along the way, and after watching those videos, im panicking thinking im going to fet stuck behind a pacing group.

I think at the start of training 6 months ago when i entered i thought id be happy with 4:30 and I selected that timeband on the application , but now i believe I have a chance of sub4, so im looking to start ahead of 4:15 pacing group anyway, maybe even ahead of 4 hr group and do my own garmin virtual partner thing. But if i get stuck behind both those groups I presume I wont be a happy boy.

The 4:15 pacers will lead out the third wave. The 4hr pacers will be towards the middle/back of the second wave.
    Really don't get het up on the crowds in the group.It's not that bad. Panicking and trying to get ahead of a group will only expend mental and physical energy which you will need later in the race. Dodging and weaving is the worst thing you can do. I can tell you one fact: if you start ahead of the 4hr group and they pass you it will be so demoralising and I can assure you that you won't be hanging on (unless it is literally in the last mile that they catch you). I have paced 3 4hr groups and can't remember anyone holding on if we passed them at mile 15-24. If you want to go sub 4 I seriously advise you to slot in behind the 4hr pacers switch off the brain and take it easy. If you have energy to go faster you will have loads of opportunities to do so in the 2nd half of the race.

The 4:15 pacers will lead out the third wave. The 4hr pacers will be towards the middle/back of the second wave.
    Really don't get het up on the crowds in the group.It's not that bad. Panicking and trying to get ahead of a group will only expend mental and physical energy which you will need later in the race. Dodging and weaving is the worst thing you can do. I can tell you one fact: if you start ahead of the 4hr group and they pass you it will be so demoralising and I can assure you that you won't be hanging on (unless it is literally in the last mile that they catch you). I have paced 3 4hr groups and can't remember anyone holding on if we passed them at mile 15-24. If you want to go sub 4 I seriously advise you to slot in behind the 4hr pacers switch off the brain and take it easy. If you have energy to go faster you will have loads of opportunities to do so in the 2nd half of the race.

I respect your experience and will consider those points you have raised.

Asked to snip tthis

I just jumped onto a facebook chat with Jim Aughney grom Dublin Marathon and they have confirmed im in Wave 3 : 4:15plus . Gutted about that, so i hope for a sticker as he is saying no going up a wave. Trying to sweet talk him with offers of charity donations etc... 😄😄

I was reading that, didn't know it was you :D
    Seriously I am sure he doesn't want to announce it to the world, but if you ask about it in the expo they will give you a little green sticker. I remember several people having them on their bibs last year....

I just jumped onto a facebook chat with Jim Aughney grom Dublin Marathon and they have confirmed im in Wave 3 : 4:15plus . Gutted about that, so i hope for a sticker as he is saying no going up a wave. Trying to sweet talk him with offers of charity donations etc... 😄😄

I was reading that, didn't know it was you :D
    Seriously I am sure he doesn't want to announce it to the world, but if you ask about it in the expo they will give you a little green sticker. I remember several people having them on their bibs last year....

Asked to snip my comments

My persistence has worked, he gave in and stopped ignoring me, in return for volunteering at Race Series next year. 😀ðŸ˜႒Happy Days

haha well done!! I think the number are ordered in waves with 10k+ being 4:15+, so you will probably just have a blue number with a sticker (unless they issue you with a new number).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Bloody pissed off...went out for a walk after the run with my sister and fell. i tripped over something and gave my knee and cheekbone a right aul bang. Knee is swolen so not sure if ive done any damage but might have to give the next few runs a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

rasher_m wrote: »
    Bloody pissed off...went out for a walk after the run with my sister and fell. i tripped over something and gave my knee and cheekbone a right aul bang. Knee is swolen so not sure if ive done any damage but might have to give the next few runs a miss.

Hope it's not too bad Rasher. I tripped rushing to get on a train on Tuesday morning. First time going from this station. Hurt my knee and shin but no damage done. Was annoyed as last week things went well and was a tad embarrassed especially when I realised I was on the wrong train!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 limoncella

just a quick update as I've been following the thread but haven't checked in lately. I had a terrible flu the week of September 17th. I had finished my longest run to date on the 16th, a 16 miler before it struck. that week I managed only a 4 miler and an 8 miler but couldn't do the 12 mile LSR planned. The week after I was proceeding like normal into an 18 miler, ran all the mid week runs but got 6 miles into the 18 and had really bad hip pain. Was advised to take the next week off :( That brings me to this week where I was going to run my 20 miler. Did 5 miles on Tuesday and yesterday, still feel the hip but is more discomfort than anything (not pain like before). Only going to do one more short run this week then try an LSR this weekend. Hoping for over 16 miles but will just see what happens. then I'll taper as usual. Disappointed but I went into this training plan late so I knew I couldn't expect miracles.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Thanks Meno, I am finally convinced that I will start behind the 4 hour pacers again this year and not in front like I was planning!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 morann

It is with great regret that I have decided to pull out of the marathon. My hip flexor simply won;t heal in time. I had a test run this Monday and was limping from 4 miles, so I am out.

I will let it heal and then start again and aim for a marathon in March in Tralee. This is their first event so would be great to get numbers down there:
    http://www.traleemarathon.com/

A positive is that I have learned so much from my experience and for those interested here are some points (which you will have read but may not have really taken on board )

1. Listen to your body, if pains are getting worse then respond to them. Slow down if you have to or run less miles. Don;t become a slave to the training program. Your first goal is to reach the start line fit and ready.

2. Don;t kill yourself to reach the 20 miler. If you have reached 18 and for whatever reason your are struggling to hit the 20 miler, don;t ignore your taper, do your best to get quality runs in and listen to your body.

3. I became a slave to pace, I wanted to run every run at 9 m/mile or faster. This worked in that 9min/mile felt very comfortable and anything slower felt too slow. This was a mistake, I am only running a year and I clearly suffered from this approach. Make sure you run most of your runs slow. Force yourself to go slower.

4. I know the half is gone but maybe for next year: run the half at your goal marathon pace and not faster. I was obsessed with doing 1:50 (10 minutes faster than target marathon pace). I know now had I not pushed it so much I would probably be doing the marathon. The half was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

5. Cross train. Why kill yourself running all the time, do some bike work instead of one of your runs if you feel that you just cannot run so many days in the week.

I hope some of this helps.
    See you next year!
    Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

morann wrote: »
    It is with great regret that I have decided to pull out of the marathon. My hip flexor simply won;t heal in time. I had a test run this Monday and was limping from 4 miles, so I am out.

I will let it heal and then start again and aim for a marathon in March in Tralee. This is their first event so would be great to get numbers down there:

A positive is that I have learned so much from my experience and for those interested here are some points (which you will have read but may not have really taken on board )

1. Listen to your body, if pains are getting worse then respond to them. Slow down if you have to or run less miles. Don;t become a slave to the training program. Your first goal is to reach the start line fit and ready.

2. Don;t kill yourself to reach the 20 miler. If you have reached 18 and for whatever reason your are struggling to hit the 20 miler, don;t ignore your taper, do your best to get quality runs in and listen to your body.

3. I became a slave to pace, I wanted to run every run at 9 m/mile or faster. This worked in that 9min/mile felt very comfortable and anything slower felt too slow. This was a mistake, I am only running a year and I clearly suffered from this approach. Make sure you run most of your runs slow. Force yourself to go slower.

4. I know the half is gone but maybe for next year: run the half at your goal marathon pace and not faster. I was obsessed with doing 1:50 (10 minutes faster than target marathon pace). I know now had I not pushed it so much I would probably be doing the marathon. The half was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

5. Cross train. Why kill yourself running all the time, do some bike work instead of one of your runs if you feel that you just cannot run so many days in the week.

See you next year!
    Niall

Unlucky Niall

One tip for you would be to keep your fitness levels up over comig weeks so that when you start training fro tralee you will have a strong base.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

rasher_m wrote: »
    Bad luch rasher, I am paranoid about something like that happening, it's so easy when you're running in the dusk/dark to trip or twist your ankle in a pothole. You know the drill, rest up and do lots of R.I.C.E-ing, don't worry about missing the odd run at this stage.

See you next year!
    Niall
    That's too bad Niall, but you're right not to risk serious injury to yourself. You will be in great shape for Tralee in March. It's a strange time to have it, it means all the training would have to be done over the winter. I'm thinking of doing Cork in June, and even then I'm balking at having to train through Feb/Mar. Best of luck with it though!

ncmc wrote: »
    Bad luch rasher, I am paranoid about something like that happening, it's so easy when you're running in the dusk/dark to trip or twist your ankle in a pothole. You know the drill, rest up and do lots of R.I.C.E-ing, don't worry about missing the odd run at this stage.

That's too bad Niall, but you're right not to risk serious injury to yourself. You will be in great shape for Tralee in March. It's a strange time to have it, it means all the training would have to be done over the winter. I'm thinking of doing Cork in June, and even then I'm balking at having to train through Feb/Mar. Best of luck with it though!

You know what I don;t mind the winter. I am used to being out on the bike in all weather and last winter I was training for the Raheny 5 run so I am looking forward to it. Help keep the Christmas pounds off too.

You know what I don;t mind the winter. I am used to being out on the bike in all weather and last winter I was training for the Raheny 5 run so I am looking forward to it. Help keep the Christmas pounds off too.
    Well that's true! I am definitely going to keep up some level of training over the winter, think I would struggle with the long midweek runs though and the LSR's in the bad weather :o

ncmc wrote: »
    Well that's true! I am definitely going to keep up some level of training over the winter, think I would struggle with the long midweek runs though and the LSR's in the bad weather :o

I'd make a bet that the weather will be better than what we are getting now :)

I'd make a bet that the weather will be better than what we are getting now :)
    You know, I was just thinking about this yesterday, I have been amazingly lucky with the weather I have had when running! Even with this being the wettest summer EVER I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve had to go out running in the rain or got rained on while I was out. I think it’s because I run in the evening and I reckon Irish evenings are dryer than Irish days. It will be quite a shock to the system if it is raining on the day. I hope my luck lasts just a little bit longer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

A positive is that I have learned so much from my expeperience

See you next year!
    Niall

i know your gutted but great post

its hard to be so insightful when things go wrong

hope Tralee goes well

Advertisement