Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

75098_10151125752448267_2024057433_n.jpg

That is so bad its funny!!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

you're an inspiration when i feel like throwing in the towel :D

I too have a rotten head cold, cant even take a few days off work as we're flat out. was in bed at 7.30 last night! going to rest up for a few days and attempt to get out over the weekend. it never ends, hip, ankle then cold..whats next? my legs falling off?!!

well. i was wrong about the cold! felt like a touch of flu this week, tired, achy, no appetite,temperature, exhausted. went to the doctors tonight and i have a kidney infection :( run down and pushing myself a bit too hard with work, training etc. anti biotics and bed now for a few days. mind yourself everyone, go to the doctor if you feel unwell rather than let it fester into something worse.
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery, at least all the hard work done, rest up n get well soon !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

tang1 wrote: »
    That is so bad its funny!!

You back running any bit tang1?

blockic wrote: »
    You back running any bit tang1?

Yeah, only small bit though, 5 miles Monday, 4 Wednesday hopefully few tomorrow to. Foot is more or less pain free, but only easing back into it. Can't believe how quickly fitness drops!! Thanks for asking. Any plans post DCM?

tang1 wrote: »
    Yeah, only small bit though, 5 miles Monday, 4 Wednesday hopefully few tomorrow to. Foot is more or less pain free, but only easing back into it. Can't believe how quickly fitness drops!! Thanks for asking. Any plans post DCM?

That's great news, take it handy anyway!

Post DCM? Go on an almighty session! :D

Haha, on a serious note all going well going to join a running club i think and do some speed work over the winter.

Want to do one marathon overseas then in 2013, either Rotterdam or Berlin i'm thinking at the moment. Depends on the experience on the 29th i suppose!

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »

That's great news, take it handy anyway!

Post DCM? Go on an almighty session! :D

Haha, on a serious note all going well going to join a running club i think and do some speed work over the winter.

Want to do one marathon overseas then in 2013, either Rotterdam or Berlin i'm thinking at the moment. Depends on the experience on the 29th i suppose!

Yeah, thinking of going joining a club myself in new year. I'll say you'll have change to spare in your goal time over in the events forum. The 3/4 in Athlone was great running.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Am just wondering what types of gels people use, the ones with caffeine or the non-caffeine? I took 3 High Five non caffeine for my 20miler last weekend. But have been told by a friend I should take a caffeine one aswell, what do people here use?

I wasn't too sure about gels but am now used to them. The lucozade body fuel orange gels work best for me. However, I do have to take a good bit of water with them. I also tried the Powerbar vanilla gels but preferred the lucozade ones. My plan is to follow the info on this thread (which I think YoungAnne gave) and take 4 gels during the marathon: 6, 12, 18 and 21 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Looks like I’m going to miss one of my 5 mile runs this week, a combination of being too lazy at the start of the week, tired after Sunday’s race and the fact that I am babysitting my nieces and nephews this weekend. The only way I could have squeezed it in was to go out this morning before work, but I did a pace run last night, so didn’t feel like it at 6am this morning! Not going to worry about it, this week I passed the 800 mile mark for the year, so I’m sure one missed run won’t make much of a difference!

On an unrelated note, I am minding four kids this weekend, 16, 4, 3 and 5 months :eek::eek::eek: Having heart palpitations even thinking about it! As a childless woman, I think I would rather run three marathons back to back :o I think all the running around I will do will make up for that missed 5 mile run! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

ncmc wrote: »
    Looks like I’m going to miss one of my 5 mile runs this week, a combination of being too lazy at the start of the week, tired after Sunday’s race and the fact that I am babysitting my nieces and nephews this weekend. The only way I could have squeezed it in was to go out this morning before work, but I did a pace run last night, so didn’t feel like it at 6am this morning! Not going to worry about it, this week I passed the 800 mile mark for the year, so I’m sure one missed run won’t make much of a difference!

Its good that you have the sense to know when to rest...that day of not running will do you more good than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

On an unrelated note, I am minding four kids this weekend, 16, 4, 3 and 5 months :eek::eek::eek: Having heart palpitations even thinking about it! As a childless woman, I think I would rather run three marathons back to back :o I think all the running around I will do will make up for that missed 5 mile run! :P
    :eek: ..... good luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Good luck!! I am sure it is greatly appreciated by parents!I have three little ones and have just arranged to hand them over for a weekend and escape. the weekend after marathon will be kid free Bliss for me!!!

dechol wrote: »
    Good luck!! I am sure it is greatly appreciated by parents!I have three little ones and have just arranged to hand them over for a weekend and escape. the weekend after marathon will be kid free Bliss for me!!!
    That will be lovely dechol and well earned! I am going to London for 3 nights with my sisters the weekend after the marathon so I can't wait! Just hope I won't be too wrecked for it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 39 morann

curr33 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you had to pull out but it sounds like you've got the right attitude for your next phase of training. Really good training reminders here. For my first half marathon in September, I cycled instead of all running and I think it helped prevent injury. My physio also recommended this approach.
    Also, on reading all the posts here, you begin to feel pressured to aim for a time when everyone else tells you to just finish & enjoy your 1st marathon. I am really hoping to keep my head and do this but during the Dub half marathon, i started faster than I planned and did end up very slow at the end. Am hoping "easy does it" will stay in my head for the big one.
    Best of luck in tralee!

Even though I injured myself my half marathon was otherwise perfect. I started easy and let the pacers go ahead of me. It's so important not to get carried away at this stage. Play a game of letting people pass and try and note their gear so you remember them later when you're passing them. After 6 or so miles I picked it up and easily caught the pacers. I then got carried away and pushed on. I finished overtaking people and felt fantastic at the end. My moto is start easier than you feel you want to, hold yourself back. Only problem was last 3 mile or so uphill drag did the damage. So it's important to know the terrain too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

Just asking but will people do DCM again or will they try other marathons.

I think I will run other marathons in other countries but not sure if I would do DCM even though never ran a marathon before.

Trampas wrote: »

I think I will run other marathons in other countries but not sure if I would do DCM even though never ran a marathon before.
    I’ve just been thinking about this in the last week or so. As much as I’ve griped about the training at times, I’ve enjoyed having something to train for and focus on. I think I would like to run another marathon in a different city to compare the experience. The most obvious choice for me is Cork in June and I would like to try a marathon abroad at some stage, Rome, Paris or London would be amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

If healthy I'm planning on doing Cork in June and then DCM again if the experience the first time is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

What distance lsr is everyone doing this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Nice short 12 miler for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Missed my mid week runs so gonna do a 16 miles run this weekend. then an 10 next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

I'm going to apply for the London one since I moved over here. Supposed to be difficult to get into though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I'm taking up golf!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

My dream is do run new York city marathon.

Would love to but need to get my qualifying time of 2:55....that should be interesting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

I know someone who did this but it didn't go well as they'd bad jetlag.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

13 m for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11 saligator

went to the physio this morn, no running for me for a week but i can cycle to keep up my fitness. lots of stretching, balance and strength exercises to do. This type of injury (dunno what he called it, but's its basically an overuse injury in the arch of my foot) usually takes 6 weeks to heal but we only have 2 and a bit to go so I just have to be careful and do the exercises every day. Going back next week and have to try to do 5-8miles the day before and see how that goes. Should still be ok for the marathon.

i'm delighted i got the 22m in last weekend, gave me a big boost in confidence so i'm not too worried about the big day, once i can keep my fitness up........phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Short term plans: If I don't require an ambulance by the end (which a lot of people seem to think I will :mad::(:D) I'm making my way out to the parents house for dinner and a few beers. I'm taking the day off work on Tuesday too.

Medium term plans are no running - injury needs 8-12 weeks of rest but I will be keeping up the cardio.

Long term - Definitely back next year for the improvers thread where I hope to see you all. And I will of course regale next years novices with my tales from this year too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Just back from the MRI and the consultant confirmed acute tendonitis with some edema on the metatarsal for good measure. He has advised against running the marathon and so it is with great regret that I must say... I'm Out!. I am absolutely gutted, but the reality is that I will recover to run another day and much sooner as a result of my decision.
    For anyone out there considering running the marathon with an injury risk, please think twice. I've made this mistake before in lesser races and shelved myself for months on end. I have no intention of putting myself in that position again, and my advice to anyone else would be the same. There will be many other marathons, and for me, the first will be the Connemarathon next year, so if there is to be a Connemarathion novice thread, let me know.
    For those still in the hunt for the 29th, I wish you the very best of luck. Enjoy it, and hopefully, I'll come across some of you again for DCM '13. A big thanks to Younganne and indeed everyone who has contributed to the forum, and answered my my queries. Anyhow..... Good luck all....Signing off.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hehe ncmc, thats quite a handful for someone not used to it...as good as a hard LSR I would say!! My 3 tearaways will be at DCM cheering me on and causing mayhem afterward no doubt, if the run doesn't finish me off they definitely will;-) good luck with the babysitting:-)

• Advertisement

Just back from the MRI and the consultant confirmed acute tendonitis with some edema on the metatarsal for good measure. He has advised against running the marathon and so it is with great regret that I must say... I'm Out!. I am absolutely gutted, but the reality is that I will recover to run another day and much sooner as a result of my decision.
    For anyone out there considering running the marathon with an injury risk, please think twice. I've made this mistake before in lesser races and shelved myself for months on end. I have no intention of putting myself in that position again, and my advice to anyone else would be the same. There will be many other marathons, and for me, the first will be the Connemarathon next year, so if there is to be a Connemarathion novice thread, let me know.
    For those still in the hunt for the 29th, I wish you the very best of luck. Enjoy it, and hopefully, I'll come across some of you again for DCM '13. A big thanks to Younganne and indeed everyone who has contributed to the forum, and answered my my queries. Anyhow..... Good luck all....Signing off.....

Feel your pain, its not easy letting go, i only deleted my entry for DCM from my email inbox last night and i've been knocked out 5 weeks. Best of luck, your making the right decision.

Advertisement