Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

ncmc wrote: »
    Looks like I’m going to miss one of my 5 mile runs this week, a combination of being too lazy at the start of the week, tired after Sunday’s race and the fact that I am babysitting my nieces and nephews this weekend. The only way I could have squeezed it in was to go out this morning before work, but I did a pace run last night, so didn’t feel like it at 6am this morning! Not going to worry about it, this week I passed the 800 mile mark for the year, so I’m sure one missed run won’t make much of a difference!

On an unrelated note, I am minding four kids this weekend, 16, 4, 3 and 5 months :eek::eek::eek: Having heart palpitations even thinking about it! As a childless woman, I think I would rather run three marathons back to back :o I think all the running around I will do will make up for that missed 5 mile run! :P

Hehe ncmc, thats quite a handful for someone not used to it...as good as a hard LSR I would say!! My 3 tearaways will be at DCM cheering me on and causing mayhem afterward no doubt, if the run doesn't finish me off they definitely will;-) good luck with the babysitting:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Just back from the MRI and the consultant confirmed acute tendonitis with some edema on the metatarsal for good measure. He has advised against running the marathon and so it is with great regret that I must say... I'm Out!. I am absolutely gutted, but the reality is that I will recover to run another day and much sooner as a result of my decision.
    For anyone out there considering running the marathon with an injury risk, please think twice. I've made this mistake before in lesser races and shelved myself for months on end. I have no intention of putting myself in that position again, and my advice to anyone else would be the same. There will be many other marathons, and for me, the first will be the Connemarathon next year, so if there is to be a Connemarathion novice thread, let me know.
    For those still in the hunt for the 29th, I wish you the very best of luck. Enjoy it, and hopefully, I'll come across some of you again for DCM '13. A big thanks to Younganne and indeed everyone who has contributed to the forum, and answered my my queries. Anyhow..... Good luck all....Signing off.....

Gutted for you. :(

I'm in a strange situation that I'm out for 3 months whether it starts now or after the marathon so I am pushing through and taking my medicine afterwards. I have the full support of my physio to do this so people shouldn't take my stubborness and continuing as being the absolute right thing to do either !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Just back from the MRI and the consultant confirmed acute tendonitis with some edema on the metatarsal for good measure. He has advised against running the marathon and so it is with great regret that I must say... I'm Out!. I am absolutely gutted, but the reality is that I will recover to run another day and much sooner as a result of my decision.
    For anyone out there considering running the marathon with an injury risk, please think twice. I've made this mistake before in lesser races and shelved myself for months on end. I have no intention of putting myself in that position again, and my advice to anyone else would be the same. There will be many other marathons, and for me, the first will be the Connemarathon next year, so if there is to be a Connemarathion novice thread, let me know.
    For those still in the hunt for the 29th, I wish you the very best of luck. Enjoy it, and hopefully, I'll come across some of you again for DCM '13. A big thanks to Younganne and indeed everyone who has contributed to the forum, and answered my my queries. Anyhow..... Good luck all....Signing off.....

So sorry to hear this but definately the right decision - suspect I may be joining you but still hoping at this stage. Physio visit on Tuesday will tell a lot. Like you, I won't be taking the risk if that's the way it is. Look on the positive - you'll have a great base for Connemara. Good luck

Trampas wrote: »
    Just asking but will people do DCM again or will they try other marathons.

I think I will run other marathons in other countries but not sure if I would do DCM even though never ran a marathon before.

Already thinking Prague in May, if injuries allow, but def DCM again:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Short term plans: If I don't require an ambulance by the end (which a lot of people seem to think I will :mad::(:D) I'm making my way out to the parents house for dinner and a few beers. I'm taking the day off work on Tuesday too.

Hope you can squeeze in a drink with us before you head off PM!!*

*by hope i mean you better!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

That's awful Macaonbhuit, such a kicker to have to pull out so close to the race, but you have a great attitude about the whole thing and I have no doubt that you will storm the Connemarathon. Best of luck with your injury and the rest of your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 saligator

been thinking about Barcelona half in Febuary, it's on 17th so would fit in nicely with a valentines break away.

not thinking of another marathon til i see how this one goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Runchick wrote: »
    Hehe ncmc, thats quite a handful for someone not used to it...as good as a hard LSR I would say!! My 3 tearaways will be at DCM cheering me on and causing mayhem afterward no doubt, if the run doesn't finish me off they definitely will;-) good luck with the babysitting:-)
    Thanks Runchick, I think i'll be crying to get back to my nice quiet life on Sunday!

Totally off topic, but how come everyone on this thread has 3 kids? Is 3 the new 2.4??? I'd better get my skates on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Thanks Runchick, I think i'll be crying to get back to my nice quiet life on Sunday!

Totally off topic, but how come everyone on this thread has 3 kids? Is 3 the new 2.4??? I'd better get my skates on :D

Must be - 3 here too !

blockic wrote: »
    Hope you can squeeze in a drink with us before you head off PM!!*

*by hope i mean you better!!!:D

I'd love to - although I suspect by the time I get there you will all have fecked off home :D

• Advertisement

I'd love to - although I suspect by the time I get there you will all have fecked off home :D

Have no fear, once I sit down I'll be there for the night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

DOCO12 wrote: »
    What distance lsr is everyone doing this weekend?

I was asked that at work yesterday and I replied " ah, a nice handy half marathon". I got a look of shock from my colleague at the thought of it being handy. To be honest the more I thought about it the more I realised how normal it had become to run distances....especially considering 11 months ago I was 2.5 stone heavier and could not run half a mile without stopping. Been so busy running and pushing myself that I never really thought about it much.

Really looking forward to DCM but my 20 mile run really handed me my ass:o.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

upthe19th wrote: »
    What distance lsr is everyone doing this weekend?

I was asked that at work yesterday and I replied " ah, a nice handy half marathon". I got a look of shock from my colleague at the thought of it being handy. To be honest the more I thought about it the more I realised how normal it had become to run distances....especially considering 11 months ago I was 2.5 stone heavier and could not run half a mile without stopping. Been so busy running and pushing myself that I never really thought about it much.

Really looking forward to DCM but my 20 mile run really handed me my ass:o.

It's crazy how our idea of a long run has changed in such a short time:) I'm planning a 14miler myself, was debating doing it this evening after work but decided to put it off until the mornin instead. I always find it so much easier in the morning. And weirdly I love being on the road before most are out of bed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

It's crazy how our idea of a long run has changed in such a short time:) I'm planning a 14miler myself, was debating doing it this evening after work but decided to put it off until the mornin instead. I always find it so much easier in the morning. And weirdly I love being on the road before most are out of bed :)

I'm doing it in the morning as well and i'd say it will be 14 too. I always find its better on a saturday morning. I'm always "work weary" on a friday. It's so much easier with a chilled out friday evening under the belt. Good luck with it and enjoy.

We're on "final approach" now....ladies and gentlemen please ensure that your seatbelts are fastened and your seat backs and trays are in the upright position:).

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭LeakRate

Hey folks,this is a pretty good watch,if you have a bit of free time,get you in the mood,the full film is on YouTube.

Sorry if its a repost

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

kit3 wrote: »

Must be - 3 here too !

3 also, 11, 9 & 6.

1 and a half here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

0 ..... AND KEEPING IT THAT WAY :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

or heading home to bed after a night out on the beer. I always wonder what goes through their head as they go home with a head like howth and me running by in my t-shirts and shorts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

0 kids here also

• Advertisement

3 is definitely the trend in my part of the world and absolutely the ideal recipe for a completely crazy life where going for a lSR is taking a break ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

lrak wrote: »

Must be - 3 here too !

3 also, 11, 9 & 6.
    +1 on 3 but all growed up (ish)
    18, 22 doing DCM & 25

not sure if DCM is midlifr crisis ( cant afford the sports car) or maybe empty nest syndrome Or just madness

Have no fear, once I sit down I'll be there for the night!!

So where will all ye folk be hanging out after? In my mind the race doesn't finish until I'm sat down with a pint of Guinness in one hand and a shiny medal in the other...catching up with a few boardies at the same time would be fantastic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Walkedit wrote: »

Must be - 3 here too !

3 also, 11, 9 & 6.
    +1 on 3 but all growed up (ish)
    18, 22 doing DCM & 25

not sure if DCM is midlifr crisis ( cant afford the sports car) or maybe empty nest syndrome Or just madness

2 Here 6 months and 21 months

So where will all ye folk be hanging out after? In my mind the race doesn't finish until I'm sat down with a pint of Guinness in one hand and a shiny medal in the other...catching up with a few boardies at the same time would be fantastic :D

We'll have to organise a place we should all walk crawl to after the race. The rendez-vous point!:)

I suspect our leader and chief Younganne can inform us where boardies usually hang out after DCM!!

This will be an important movitating factor for me during the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

2 Here 6 months and 21 months

2 here also: 2 years and 4.5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

We'll have to organise a place we should all walk crawl to after the race. The rendez-vous point!:)

I suspect our leader and chief Younganne can inform us where boardies usually hang out after DCM!!

This will be an important movitating factor for me during the race!

McGrattens i think is the normal Boardsies meeting spot after DCM as far as i remember. Dont know where it is but must be close to finish line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

tang1 wrote: »
    McGrattens i think is the normal Boardsies meeting spot after DCM as far as i remember. Dont know where it is but must be close to finish line.

Do they let us in wearing runners?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

Hi Curr33, I am on my 3rd forerunner 110! Each time it just froze/ stopped like yours, I bought mine in B2R Ballymount and they always replaced them admitting that there definety seems to be a flaw with this watch and Garmin are soon bringing out a new version. Only suggestion would be to try and bring yours back and see will they replace yours for same flaw?

Guess what I got as a birthday present this week! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Do they let us in wearing runners?

Geez I hope so, mind you it'll be a case of wearing runners, all sweaty, hardly able to walk....hopefully they let standards slip on that particular day ;)

Advertisement