Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Runchick wrote: »
    Geez I hope so, mind you it'll be a case of wearing runners, all sweaty, hardly able to walk....hopefully they let standards slip on that particular day ;)

What about shorts, sweaty top and big red face?
    Will they accept Gels as currency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Do they let us in wearing runners?

To be honest i dont know, i presume they do. 14,000 thirsty runners looking for cold beverages & they turn them away ain't smart business!

tang1 wrote: »
    To be honest i dont know, i presume they do. 14,000 thirsty runners looking for cold beverages & they turn them away ain't smart business!

Right, sarcasm does not travel well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Do they let us in wearing runners?

Of course they do, they'd be losing a hell of a lot of business if they didn't. They do a pretty decent steak sandwich too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Right, sarcasm does not travel well.

Straight over my head, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Of course they do, they'd be losing a hell of a lot of business if they didn't. They do a pretty decent steak sandwich too. :)

So how far from the finish line are we talking here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Runchick wrote: »
    So how far from the finish line are we talking here?

Just googled it, 450m!

Not sure if ill be able to walk that far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

peggysue2 wrote: »
    Guess what I got as a birthday present this week! :rolleyes:

I hope you fare better! I have sent mine back to Garmin who said my replacement should arrive on time after I told them it was urgent. At least if there are issues, they seem to be pretty good about it.
    Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

blockic wrote: »
    Just googled it, 450m!

Excellent, you'll be well into party mode by the time I get there blockic, keep a few seats for the plodders amongst us :p

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

Maybe I shouldn't have read the man flu threads during the week but I have a tickle in the back of my nose & throat and feel a cold coming on. Was hoping to do my 12 miles early tomorrow but will have to see if my vitamin C, zinc, uniflu and early night stop the cold in its tracks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

McGrattens i think is the normal Boardsies meeting spot after DCM as far as i remember. Dont know where it is but must be close to finish line.

Yeah, it's about as close as you get, you walk by the entrance on the way to the middle wave start. Full of very sweaty and very tired runners every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

curr33 wrote: »
    peggysue2 wrote: »
    Guess what I got as a birthday present this week! :rolleyes:

I hope you fare better! I have sent mine back to Garmin who said my replacement should arrive on time after I told them it was urgent. At least if there are issues, they seem to be pretty good about it.
    Fingers crossed!

Well my 3rd one is still working, hopefully your present and replacement will be fine !😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

lrak wrote: »
    Well my 3rd one is still working, hopefully your present and replacement will be fine !😉

I decided to do an easy run tonight after falling the other night.
    Went for a 5 mile run on treadmill easy and was just a bit sore. I suppose when I go out for the 12 miler I'll know then if there's any real problems

I was lucky that I was walking and not running at the time or I defo would have been seriously injured.

I think I must be going around a bit dopey at the moment, I've been driving years and never done this in my life...I went and put diesel in my petrol engine. I cannot believe I did that. I'm usually sharp with cars...duh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »
    Just googled it, 450m!

Actually it is much less than that!! You collect your bags from merrion sq sth and exit by the Natural history museum. From there it is only 150m to mcgrattans (where all the boardsies will be) . It's a great spot and surprisingly not too crowded!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Well I'm gonna try cover 30km tomorrow and then ease off before the big day.

A yellow tender bruise has popped up on my shin in the last week of training. I'm fairly certain it's just a bruise from the extra training and not shin splints. But I'll try this run tomorrow and then ease off and hopefully be good and ready for the marathon. Gonna try follow the 4 15 pacers, really hope I can get through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

I'd my first dream about the marathon last night: For some reason I didn't wear my marathon gear on the journey in and put my stuff in the bag to change when I got there. Then it went missing. Some people on here have dreamt about winning the thing but, after a stressful day yesterday, I'm not surprised my dream was panicky. Ah well, on the day I'll be all sorted and nothing silly like this will happen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Quick question guys and gals and sorry if its been answered before.

Can someone collect your race pack for you. My sister is in dublin and could collect it for me on the saturday. I prob wont get up till sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

ncmc wrote: »
    Totally off topic, but how come everyone on this thread has 3 kids? Is 3 the new 2.4??? I'd better get my skates on :D

There are two ways of looking at that - the other angle is "how come so many people with 3 kids take up marathon running?" (btw I'm in the 3 kid club too)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Btw, it's a bit off-topic but hopefully everyone will remember Tommy for the first half of the big run... don't be stone mad for speed...
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0ocWVgmkUSk

but never think you can't do it...
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=J9PwWq3le9A

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Totally off topic, but how come everyone on this thread has 3 kids?

2 here... except they're not kids anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

A few race day questions for those in the know...

How does the starting system work? Someone mentioned a third wave start position - are there different start points? What determines which one you are assigned - I don't remember putting anything down about expected finish time, but maybe I did?

Also, have bib number (via email) but no info about expo. Were and when will that be? Do they send out info in the post or via email? The email system doesn't seem to be working for me so I don't want to miss anything!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Totally off topic, but how come everyone on this thread has 3 kids? Is 3 the new 2.4??? I'd better get my skates on :D

There are two ways of looking at that - the other angle is "how come so many people with 3 kids take up marathon running?" (btw I'm in the 3 kid club too)
    Exactly! Long peaceful runs on your own! Bliss ! I feel sorry for my other half when I head out for a long run.think I have the better deal !

menoscemo wrote: »
    Actually it is much less than that!! You collect your bags from merrion sq sth and exit by the Natural history museum. From there it is only 150m to mcgrattans (where all the boardsies will be) . It's a great spot and surprisingly not too crowded!!

Is there a secret handshake to recognise a boardsie?, or do we walk through the pub doing the one armed windmill to announce our appearance

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

menoscemo wrote: »

Is there a secret handshake to recognise a boardsie?, or do we walk through the pub doing the one armed windmill to announce our appearance

Menoscemo is leaving a tab at the bar so just say you're a boardsie to the bar staff and they'll get you whatever you drink and send you over to the crew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Surely you will recognise Digger and Claralara from sll their press photoshoots? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Cold / chest cleared up a bit so I went out for my first run of the week and if I recall correctly my fourth run in the last 3 weeks. It as it turned out was the longest run of the last 3 weeks too - a jaw dropping 12km tongue.png

I stuck religiously to the physios instructions of running 1.6km then walking for 5 minutes and repeating. Good news is the leg held up reasonably well. Bit of discomfort but nothing that would stop me running. Chest was giving me a lot of trouble by the 8k mark - lots of nasal drip unfortunately = lot of coughing and spluttering so I headed for home. Didn't want to push things too far too fast (although just over 2 weeks to the marathon isn't the best place to be holding back trying to get the fitness levels back up) I found myself counting down the metres to the walk breaks which also isn't a great place to be.

But all in all - 12k done - leg still runnable on and progress made. smile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Me too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Well done on the progress Pageant Messiah, bet ya feel great after it :) Really sympathise with anybody who's injured and wish everyone speedy recoveries!
    I did my 14 first thing this morning, it was bliss such a gorgeous morning for a run. Tried the caffeine gel after 10miles and happy to say no side effects :) but not sure if it gave me much of if any of a lift, what's everyone else's opinion on them? Plus their much bulkier to carry than the regular high 5 gels. Am considering just taking four of the regular instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Getting excited now... Did 18m on an absolutely beautiful morning, watching the sunrise over the hills in Carlow/ Wexford. When I ran passed the cows they moo'ed, birds flying ahead of me on the road and tweeting while I passed. Rabbits dashing across the road, and sheeping looking nervously at me as I grunted past them. I love tapering, it puts you in such a nice frame of mind.
    I'm hoping to run with the 4:15 pacers. What kind of km pace do they travel at and is it constant for the whole race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

upthe19th wrote: »
    Can someone collect your race pack for you. My sister is in dublin and could collect it for me on the saturday. I prob wont get up till sunday night.

Get her to bring along a printout of your acceptance mail, should be fine.
    murphd77 wrote: »
    How does the starting system work? Someone mentioned a third wave start position - are there different start points? What determines which one you are assigned - I don't remember putting anything down about expected finish time, but maybe I did?

Also, have bib number (via email) but no info about expo. Were and when will that be? Do they send out info in the post or via email? The email system doesn't seem to be working for me so I don't want to miss anything!

There are three waves. Different coloured numbers for the three waves, but it seems to be numbers 1-5000 are wave 1, 5001-10,000 are wave 2, 10,001 up are in wave three. You'll have put down an estimated finish time on your entry.

There's a map of the starting area, and guide to the waves, in the race pack you'll get at the expo. Expo is on the saturday and Sunday before the race, in the RDS. More details on the marathon faq page
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/general_faq.php

Advertisement