Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fearg72

Theres a lot of people reading these splits in awe. They're amazing. Especially the last 5!

3:30 is more than realistic for you - maybe stick with it and enjoy the run.
    If you want to push it a bit, maybe run for a 3:20 pace - means you wont be running with a pacing group, but you'll be surprised the number of people (me included) who are aiming for 3:20. I've done a comfortable 20 miles in 2:40 as well so 3:20 would be in the ball park (if you want to push it a bit).

RK - thanks very much for your advice. I think that I'm going to go out with the 3.30 pacers for the first 13 miles. If I feel good, I'll up the tempo to 7.45 / mile up to mile 20. If I still feel good, I'll try to empty the tank and come home at 7.30 / mile.
    I'm nervous about the distance and I'm nervous that going out at 7.45 / mile right from the start could be too difficult by mile 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

Ran 31km this morning in 3.11. Did not enjoy it struggled badly for the last 10km. It must be a part of the taper madness. Usually i run and my head emptiesmof thoughts but today i spent e time thinking, I had not done enough long runs, I had not done enough hills, Mt slow runs were too fast and my fast runs were too slow. Is it like the feeling before an exam when you feel you havent done enough study ( I usually hadnt).

Was hoping to do around 4.10, now just hoping to come in in under 4.30. Tiredness is becoming a factor. I ma in bed at around 10pm most evenings.

3 girls as well for the record!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fantastic run this morning in beautiful cool, sunny conditions in Dublin. Being a Clontarf/Sutton seafront regular I made a rare trip to the southside, out to the People's Park in Blackrock via East Wall, Docklands and Sandymount and back more or less the same route (with a detour on the way out past Lansdowne Road in honour of last night's historic defeat).

19k scheduled. I was aiming for 6:15/k LSR pace but felt so good I pushed up to 6:00, then up again in the second half to about 5:52 mins. Ended up doing 20k at 5:56, the last couple of kilometers at PMP just to see how it felt. No gels obviously for such a short run - can't say I missed them. Last week I struggled badly during the middle 10k of the 32k LSR but no such issues today - felt very strong and, dare I say, fit.

While I've always trusted the training plan (HHN2), I think today was the first time I actually FELT that not only is the 42.2k possible, but also that I will be able to do it at the predicted pace. Hope everyone else gets through the last longish run as well as I did. Onwards and upwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I had a good run as well today. I did 12 miles. I had the virtual pacer on but it was kinda hard to keep on pace (10.15 m/m). I kept speeding up...garmin beeps ahead of pace...slow down....on pace.....start daydreaming...behind pace...speed up...ahead of pace....get where this is going!! :rolleyes: Anyway it kept me amused cause I didn't notice the miles flying by, I was going to do another mile at the end up some hills but the industrial size blister on my big toe was giving me grief so I called it a day at 12 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

12.5m done this morning in my new winter gear! Was hot towards the end! Felt comfortable most of the way, legs felt but heavy/tired toward the end. Recovery time was minimal tho. It's mad to think the longest run now is about 8 miles before the big day! Are people using gel belts? I'm debating whether ill want my music with me when it gets hard (helps on the lsr for me). So many variables!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

20m done, it's TAPER TIME!!!

Felt good, avg 10.13 which was a bit fast for a LSR but no major ill effects after it. Went for a swim afterwards & feel good now.

I included the last 10m of the course as part of the run, joined at Fortfield Rd & went on to the finish. It was interesting to see & experience the twists & turns as we will run them on the day, I've run them before, but not in the correct order if you get my drift.

I felt a real sense of 'nearly there' when I turned on to fosters ave (about mile 20 in DCM?) and was thinking if I get this far then I'll certainly finish, I hope I'm as enthusiastic in 2weeks!

Took my first carbohydrate bar as well at about 14m, I always get hungry on my LSR & this certainly seemed to help, a bit chewy (it was caramel) but I also wear a water backpack so was able to wash it down fairly easily.

You guys type faster than I can read, I haven't been able to read all 330 odd pages but thanks to everyone for the help, tips and support to us new guys, it's been a lot of help.

2weeks to go now, and probably another 300pages here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

20m done, it's TAPER TIME!!!
    I felt a real sense of 'nearly there' when I turned on to fosters ave (about mile 20 in DCM?) and was thinking if I get this far then I'll certainly finish, I hope I'm as enthusiastic in 2weeks!

What was the hill like in Clonskeagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

12.5m done this morning in my new winter gear! Was hot towards the end! Felt comfortable most of the way, legs felt but heavy/tired toward the end. Recovery time was minimal tho. It's mad to think the longest run now is about 8 miles before the big day! Are people using gel belts? I'm debating whether ill want my music with me when it gets hard (helps on the lsr for me). So many variables!
    Yeah I'm taking a belt n music, wud like to have couple gels n a bottle drink wit me to avoid the 1st water stop I think as it apparently quite crowded. Music def helps n running at PMP I reckon won't b fit for chatting that much so music will b great. So hard to believe that the long runs all done, 8m only next week whoohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

npresto wrote: »
    What was the hill like in Clonskeagh?

Clonskeagh hill is not a problem at all. I would say that Roebuck is much steeper but both are v short, less than 100m. by the time you see them you are nearly up at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

12 miles done. The last double figure run before the big un!

I'm away for a week at the moment with the missus. Gran Canaria, where it's been 28 degrees or thereabouts since we arrived. I'm pleased to say I've managed to keep up with the training plan in full while here - though the runs have been tough in this heat.

Got a bit of painful nipple rub towards the end of my run today, which is worrying, as it hasn't happened before, and I was wearing my marathon clothes.. :eek:
    Might have to plaster up for the race.. Balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

12 miles done. The last double figure run before the big un!

I'm away for a week at the moment with the missus. Gran Canaria, where it's been 28 degrees or thereabouts since we arrived. I'm pleased to say I've managed to keep up with the training plan in full while here - though the runs have been tough in this heat.

Got a bit of painful nipple rub towards the end of my run today, which is worrying, as it hasn't happened before, and I was wearing my marathon clothes.. :eek:
    Might have to plaster up for the race.. Balls Nipples (I hope and what you typed).

fixed that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    Actually it is much less than that!! You collect your bags from merrion sq sth and exit by the Natural history museum. From there it is only 150m to mcgrattans (where all the boardsies will be) . It's a great spot and surprisingly not too crowded!![/QUOTE]

Might be crowded this year when we all turn up from this thread and us lot over on the improvers thread!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Trampas wrote: »
    fixed that

Haha.. didn't even cop that.. Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Actually it is much less than that!! You collect your bags from merrion sq sth and exit by the Natural history museum. From there it is only 150m to mcgrattans (where all the boardsies will be) . It's a great spot and surprisingly not too crowded!!

Not too surprising im sure. The place must be stinking if it gets a gang of marathoners in the door. Wouldn't blame the regulars to give it a miss that day!!
    Surely you will recognise Digger and Claralara from sll their press photoshoots? :D

Hope to be following digger around so might just keep following him! Do the pacers bother stop when they cross the line or do they just keeping running as far as the pub?!

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Hope to be following digger around so might just keep following him! Do the pacers bother stop when they cross the line or do they just keeping running as far as the pub?!
    HaHa :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

Just checked my email and have received an "Acceptance slip" to be signed and brought to expo; anyone else get theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

Just checked my email and have received an "Acceptance slip" to be signed and brought to expo; anyone else get theirs?

Yip got mine too - thanks for the tip off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

18 miles today, last long run! Had great intentions of having a proper dress rehearsal, pasta dinner and early night before the run, go through my marathon routine, etc....... and then I got offered a free ticket for the match (that went well :D) ..... so my run preparation included about 5 pints, no dinner except for a horrible hotdog in the Aviva and less than 4.5 hours sleep as I was running in Phoenix Park at 7am as wanted to be back early to spend the day with the family (two kids here as well, 4 and 20 months).

Not ideal! And I really felt the effects of it too, was a much harder 18 mile run than the one I did last week, even though it was slower than the one I did last week. Got thru it tho and officially on taper now, happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Running + hangovers = :(

Great night at friends wedding last night but paid for it today... Decided against 12 miler & went out for a gentle 6.5k route I like. First few k were NOT good, few funny looks and id say looked almost green given how bad my stomach felt.. :eek: Got bit better after that and def cleared my head anyway! Have to fit in my 12 miler tomorrow now so hoping back to normal by then. Last drinks before the big day - looking forward to big glass of chilled white wine afterwards

Got my acceptance slip email too, all v exciting!! Number 13,152 apparently (just rolls off the tongue..). Gonna be interesting doing the race with such a huge volume.... Hated the women's mini marathon for that v reason but I think that was more bad planning that they started the runners & joggers together so first 5 k was dodging in and out of people (and the bottles they'd nicely thrown on the ground for other runners to trip over....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

^^^^^^^
    What happened to taking the month off the beer?! Am I the only sucker that does this

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Off Topic a little but...what did everyone else here do previously with all the time they now spend running....???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

doledude86 wrote: »
    Off Topic a little but...what did everyone else here do previously with all the time they now spend running....???

Slept more, worked more, watched a lot more tv.

Miss the sleep but that's about it !

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

@!! motivation to run is not high at moment.:'(

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Gavlor wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^
    What happened to taking the month off the beer?! Am I the only sucker that does this

Haha that was the plan, just had a slight relapse on Friday! Wasn't my fault tho, I had to collect my ticket in the pub...... back living the good life now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Donal112 wrote: »
    Gavlor wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^

Haha that was the plan, just had a slight relapse on Friday! Wasn't my fault tho, I had to collect my ticket in the pub...... back living the good life now!

:) "wasn't my fault" love than one!! You aren't talking to your better have now y'know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

13.8 miles done and all the way round I was thinking about what running I will do after DCM. Obviously take a few weeks off to recover but I really hope to keep up some kind of routine.. a few mid week runs and a longer one on the weekend as a loose routine. Maybe work on pace and speed over shorter distances but to be honest I worry that I will lose my running mojo without a rigid plan to follow (and without this thread ;)). I hope to do a May marathon so will start training again in Feb, hopefully there's a thread on here to moan to during that:p Maybe joining a running club is the way to go. What's everyone else's plans post DCM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

doledude86 wrote: »

Can't really remember to be honest but I feel like I have more energy now and therefore have more time!! Weird but true :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Runchick wrote: »
    13.8 miles done and all the way round I was thinking about what running I will do after DCM. Obviously take a few weeks off to recover but I really hope to keep up some kind of routine.. a few mid week runs and a longer one on the weekend as a loose routine. Maybe work on pace and speed over shorter distances but to be honest I worry that I will lose my running mojo without a rigid plan to follow (and without this thread ;)). I hope to do a May marathon so will start training again in Feb, hopefully there's a thread on here to moan to during that:p Maybe joining a running club is the way to go. What's everyone else's plans post DCM?

Start the DCM 2013 improvers thread early. Job done. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Not a good day at the running office yesterday, planned to do 12, headed home after 4, first time ever that's happened and so close to the end it was a confidence knock. Legs just wouldn't warm up, was walking trying to stretch out a tight muscles at a mile, walked up my usual hill, I haven't walked up that since April. Anyway not good, everything hurt a lot more than it should so I threw in the towel. On analysing why things were wrong, I went out after work for a few drinks on Thurs which I never do and then I'd no dinner on Friday night, have been neglecting my foam rolling all week too. I think I was equating taper with anything goes now, was wrong, will live a clean and healthy life now for a few days and give it another bash. Great running by everyone else.

Advertisement