Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

Marthastew wrote: »
    San Fran is known for its hills so you will get a great workout, the temp should be fine early in the morning or late in the evening.

Make sure you sign up for DCM before you go then you'll remain focused while away. Good luck

Lucky you:D I'd love a trip to San Fran

I ran SF half two years ago. The course itself is not too hilly. Great buzz from going over Golden Gate and it has a nice early start so does not get too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

Hi after reading through all the posts here and getting a lot of good info am going to follow hal higdons Novice 1 programme. But before that starts feel the best thing to do may be to run the Novice spring programme as my running and distances are a bit makey uppy at the minute. I might just decide to do 4 miles one day having not gone for 2 days so structure is what i really need. So just wondering what week of the plan i should be following from now on to keep me fit until the plan proper starts. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Hi Younganne, How do you incorporate races into the training plan?

For example, say the 10k in the race series is on the Sunday in week 4. That weekend I should be doing an 11 mile LSR. Its been mentioned alot that you shouldn't skip the LSR runs, so not sure how that'll work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

miguelk wrote: »

For example, say the 10k in the race series is on the Sunday in week 4. That weekend I should be doing an 11 mile LSR. Its been mentioned alot that you shouldn't skip the LSR runs, so not sure how that'll work?

You could do a 1.5 mile warm up and cool down bringing you to 9.2 miles, the extra effort in the race would account for the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

out this morning on 5.5km this morning

Plan is 3 laps of donadea the weekend. Either tomorrow or Sunday

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    You could do a 1.5 mile warm up and cool down bringing you to 9.2 miles, the extra effort in the race would account for the difference.

Nice one, I had been thinking along the lines of adding in an extra week to training, i.e. repeat previous week but substitute race for LSR. Then next week start program back up again. Any comments on that approach? Reason I'm asking now is if this is a good approach I may start the program early.

Nice one, I had been thinking along the lines of adding in an extra week to training, i.e. repeat previous week but substitute race for LSR. Then next week start program back up again. Any comments on that approach? Reason I'm asking now is if this is a good approach I may start the program early.

No harm to put in an extra week as a cushion for injury/illness/life getting in the way, don't get hung up on the program, the long runs are important but look at it this way, if you run 5 days a week for 18 weeks you'll run 90 times in training, if you miss one - you'll live.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi after reading through all the posts here and getting a lot of good info am going to follow hal higdons Novice 1 programme. But before that starts feel the best thing to do may be to run the Novice spring programme as my running and distances are a bit makey uppy at the minute. I might just decide to do 4 miles one day having not gone for 2 days so structure is what i really need. So just wondering what week of the plan i should be following from now on to keep me fit until the plan proper starts. thanks

If you can run 4m no problem then you just need structure, as you say to get to the start of marathon training.

Today is friday so you could get 2 runs in over the next 3 days( 2 x 3m)
    and then do weeks 10, 11 & 12 over the next 3 week.
    Then we will be starting week 1 of Novice 1 marathon plan on June 25th

As Mr Slow says above with a warm up & cool down and the effort in the race it usually equates to a LSR, but it is more beneficial as a learning experience... The first year i started running/racing, i didn't do any warm ups before any races as i was afraid that i'd be too tired to finish the race, but last year i started doing a slow easy 1m warmup, usually from the car to the start and it has helped me immensely.

Thanks for the advice Mr slow and Younganne. makes sense.

This is for those times when you'll feel like it's too hard or you can't get that last half mile done. Let me introduce you to Rick and Dick Hoyt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zooming

when do you guys start taking the gels etc? I figured maybe mile 15 but maybe its better to leave till closer the end? any advice on what types to try?

zooming wrote: »
    when do you guys start taking the gels etc? I figured maybe mile 15 but maybe its better to leave till closer the end? any advice on what types to try?

You have to figure out what works best for you, starting out try and take them when you feel yourself going into a flat spot. In the marathon I take my first one between 8 and 10 miles and the last one with 3 miles to go and two equispaced in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

In the marathon I take my first one between 8 and 10 miles and the last one with 3 miles to go and two equispaced in the middle.

Mr Slow, would you take them during a half marathon race? Or LSR longer than, say, 14 or 15 miles?

I also need to practise with these, just wondering how long an LSR is appropriate to introduce them. 10 miles +?

Mr Slow, would you take them during a half marathon race? Or LSR longer than, say, 14 or 15 miles?

I also need to practise with these, just wondering how long an LSR is appropriate to introduce them. 10 miles +?

No need to take them up to 10m but after that you can test them out as there are various types and brands on the market. Everyone has their own preference.

Some experienced runners don't take them on a half, but you would definitely see the advantage of taking 1 on a half marathon, i usually take one at 9/10 mile and it helps to keep going to the end...but again everyone is different....

on gels where is a good place to buy singles so i can try them before buying a box

Running 13 miles as an LSR I wouldn't take a gel but if I was racing I might take 2, I have stomach issues and find that the gels keep nausea at bay when running flat out. It's horses for courses.:)

Trampas wrote: »
    on gels where is a good place to buy singles so i can try them before buying a box

Base2Race in Ballymount, Fashion City, lots of good advice there too and the Amphibian King Manager in there is a Boardsie.

got my latest shoes in base2race.

closing date for 5 miler in park is 10th june in case people want to run it and haven't signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

How funny you should mention base2race and amphipian king just was down there gettin a gait analysis and purchased a very very sleak pair of runners :pac: great place would highly recommend it

im thinking of buying a few and trying them out, do you need to drink water with them, or when, sorry for my ignorance!!!

• Advertisement

doledude86 wrote: »
    How funny you should mention base2race and amphipian king just was down there gettin a gait analysis and purchased a very very sleak pair of runners :pac: great place would highly recommend it

Only the best advice is given out here ;)

zooming wrote: »
    im thinking of buying a few and trying them out, do you need to drink water with them, or when, sorry for my ignorance!!!

Some you have to drink water with others you don't. I use isogels and find them great.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

This is for those times when you'll feel like it's too hard or you can't get that last half mile done. Let me introduce you to Rick and Dick Hoyt.
    Seen a few videos of the Hoyts, truly inspirational stuff, well worth a youtube search. I saw one where they interviewed Rick via a computer, ala stephen king, and it was great to hear how much he enjoyed doing the triathlons with his father. Just to point out they are full ironman triathlons he does, not sprints. Anyway, back to the topic at hand

Some you have to drink water with others you don't. I use isogels and find them great.

For those who don't know, the isogels you don't have to take water with them, but i always take a swig anyway!!!!

Lots of brands and lots of flavours so try to find one you like!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Younganne wrote: »
    Gu Apple and Cinnamon... tastes like the inside of a McDonald's apple pie :)

Younganne wrote: »
    For those who don't know, the isogels you don't have to take water with them, but i always take a swig anyway!!!!

Thanks! Its all a new world to us beginners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

When I ran Boston Marathon in 2010 I was really struggling on the infamous Heartbreak Hill, I noticed the crowds were unbelievably supportive, screaming "We love you so much... you are amazing...."
    I soon realised why; I was passing the Hoyts, the dad looked strong as an ox and the son looked so happy. I patted them on the back and powered on realising that I had no reason whatsoever to be feeling sorry for myself

15km in 90 mins today

Marthastew wrote: »
    When I ran Boston Marathon in 2010 I was really struggling on the infamous Heartbreak Hill, I noticed the crowds were unbelievably supportive, screaming "We love you so much... you are amazing...."
    I soon realised why; I was passing the Hoyts, the dad looked strong as an ox and the son looked so happy. I patted them on the back and powered on realising that I had no reason whatsoever to be feeling sorry for myself

Here's one for you, they have a sub 2:40 marathon pb.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Here's one for you, they have a sub 2:40 marathon pb.:eek:

Now that is something I did not know.
    I'm the eternal optimist and a great believer in positive thinking but sub 2.40... not in my wildest dreams.
    They are truly insprirational

Advertisement