Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Runchick wrote: »
    13.8 miles done and all the way round I was thinking about what running I will do after DCM. Obviously take a few weeks off to recover but I really hope to keep up some kind of routine.. a few mid week runs and a longer one on the weekend as a loose routine. Maybe work on pace and speed over shorter distances but to be honest I worry that I will lose my running mojo without a rigid plan to follow (and without this thread ;)). I hope to do a May marathon so will start training again in Feb, hopefully there's a thread on here to moan to during that:p Maybe joining a running club is the way to go. What's everyone else's plans post DCM?

Agree with you, took me a few months to get going again last year. Mainly because I had no plan. Then I took to working on 5k/10k specific training and loved the shorter, faster stuff. Really gave me a great base for the longer stuff.

Regarding the board support, I agree, maybe we all need to set up our own log, or maybe we all should start a 'DCM survivors log' !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Not a good day at the running office yesterday, planned to do 12, headed home after 4, first time ever that's happened and so close to the end it was a confidence knock. Legs just wouldn't warm up, was walking trying to stretch out a tight muscles at a mile, walked up my usual hill, I haven't walked up that since April. Anyway not good, everything hurt a lot more than it should so I threw in the towel. On analysing why things were wrong, I went out after work for a few drinks on Thurs which I never do and then I'd no dinner on Friday night, have been neglecting my foam rolling all week too. I think I was equating taper with anything goes now, was wrong, will live a clean and healthy life now for a few days and give it another bash. Great running by everyone else.

Don't worry about it, don't let it knock you. We're out of rhythm, everyone's talking about being tired and injured. We'll get our mojo back next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

13.8 miles done and all the way round I was thinking about what running I will do after DCM. Obviously take a few weeks off to recover but I really hope to keep up some kind of routine.. a few mid week runs and a longer one on the weekend as a loose routine. Maybe work on pace and speed over shorter distances but to be honest I worry that I will lose my running mojo without a rigid plan to follow (and without this thread ;)). I hope to do a May marathon so will start training again in Feb, hopefully there's a thread on here to moan to during that:p Maybe joining a running club is the way to go. What's everyone else's plans post DCM?

The most important thing you can do Post DCM is to try to keep up the mileage. Try to average at least 25 miles per week over the winter(after taking a few weeks break) so that by the time your next marathon program kicks in you are able to pick a more advanced one like P&D. Definitely introduce some speedwork but also keep the marathon structure of a weekend long run (10 miles would be fine) and maybe try to get out 5 times a week instead of 4. That will really stand to you when you are doing short races in the new year and when you come to do a maarthon again. Consistency is the key to improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Gavlor wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^
    What happened to taking the month off the beer?! Am I the only sucker that does this
    I triiiied! Was a saint for the last 2 weeks but I'm away with friends this weekend & even though it started well (the stares I got when I was the only one who didn't order a cocktail with lunch on friday!!!), I caved by dinner on friday night. But I've been not-as-naughty-as-I-usually-would-be & getting plenty of water into me so I shouldn't be dehydrated heading out for my LSR this evening.
    And best behaviour for the next 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

My next goal is try and complete 1000 miles by end of year. Currently I am on track to hit 1000 mile start of Feb so hope to get it complete by 31st Dec.

next year it is speed work for me.

45min 10km by Feb. Broken 50mins in DCM 10km race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Start the DCM 2013 improvers thread early. Job done. :)

Love this PM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

menoscemo wrote: »

The most important thing you can do Post DCM is to try to keep up the mileage. Try to average at least 25 miles per week over the winter(after taking a few weeks break) so that by the time your next marathon program kicks in you are able to pick a more advanced one like P&D. Definitely introduce some speedwork but also keep the marathon structure of a weekend long run (10 miles would be fine) and maybe try to get out 5 times a week instead of 4. That will really stand to you when you are doing short races in the new year and when you come to do a maarthon again. Consistency is the key to improvement.

If you'd suggested this a few months ago I'd say tell him he's dreamin!! But now a 10 miler on the weekend and a few miles to start most weekdays seems very doable:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Hi All

Just found this thread a few weeks ago and was gutted to say the least that I hadn't found it earlier. I too am following HH Novice 1 training programme except I fell into all the novice pitfalls being a newbie - started running in Jan this year. Don't know if its taper madness or what but the niggles seems to be getting me down this week. Have not had any races this year due to injury for half and family commitments for 3/4. Have had right hip flexor, itb problems since long runs started and left calf issue. Do all exercises/stretches every day as suggested by Physio. Had a great 20 miler last week - upped the pace a little to see if I could consistently keep a pace as all my LSR has been very very slow as suggested by Physio - needed to push myself a little to see where I was at - the whole run felt great average 10:20 pace but following day my knee felt sore & bruised. Had a rub booked with Physio for Monday and he felt knee should be ok but its sore all week - lsr run sat ok but if I pushed a little it would kick in. Don't know where to go from here am doing exercises/stretches every day wonder would a foam roller be of any benefit? Apologies for long spiel any advice would be gratefully received...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Willie42 wrote: »
    Hi All

Just found this thread a few weeks ago and was gutted to say the least that I hadn't found it earlier. I too am following HH Novice 1 training programme except I fell into all the novice pitfalls being a newbie - started running in Jan this year. Don't know if its taper madness or what but the niggles seems to be getting me down this week. Have not had any races this year due to injury for half and family commitments for 3/4. Have had right hip flexor, itb problems since long runs started and left calf issue. Do all exercises/stretches every day as suggested by Physio. Had a great 20 miler last week - upped the pace a little to see if I could consistently keep a pace as all my LSR has been very very slow as suggested by Physio - needed to push myself a little to see where I was at - the whole run felt great average 10:20 pace but following day my knee felt sore & bruised. Had a rub booked with Physio for Monday and he felt knee should be ok but its sore all week - lsr run sat ok but if I pushed a little it would kick in. Don't know where to go from here am doing exercises/stretches every day wonder would a foam roller be of any benefit? Apologies for long spiel any advice would be gratefully received...:confused:

Welcome :)

You've probably read / realised by now that upping the pace was a bit of a mistake this close to the main event. The LSR's being ran slower although counter intuiitve to us noobs is actually the only way to run them. You save your fastest / pace runs until race day where in particular for the marathon you are rested / tapered and running from 100% fitness rather than the 80-85% fitness you are running on when in the middle of the prgoram. (you never get the chance to fully recover between each run so you are always running on tired legs until the big day when you have eased off) Also if you do pick up a sore knee after the marathon it's ok to rest up for a couple of weeks to recover whereas now it's a struggle - and this is coming from a guy literally crawling back from injury towards the start line :D

Right so all that said - you've a sore knee when pushing a little. My simple advice at this stage is stop pushing until marathon day itself. Take a couple of days off - keep to the taper program at a slow slow slow pace this week to give the knee a chance to heel up. It will come good for the big day. Best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Thanks PM - will keep it slow and hope for best - glad to see you back in the game yourself, best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Was actually giving this a bit of thought on my 12 mile run on sat also. I hope to not fall into the trap of a few weeks off ater the marathon, then Christmas is looming too much eating/drinking etc and suddenly find it's January and all the good work of the last few months has been undone.
    I really don't think that will happen and fully intend to keep up some type of regular running but with shorter distances and try to increase speed.
    It has been really amazing how the running distances have built up but I have found with all the running other forms of exercise that i enjoy such as cycling, hill walking, gym have all stopped so I hope to find more time for other activities.
    As for marathon training will see how this one goes first but they are big undertakings and do take over your life to a certain extent for 4 months or so.
    Thankfully so far I have been very lucky with injuries but If I was to go again for marathon I would really work on weight loss before starting the big miles. I am probably carrying stone and a half excess baggage which surprisingly did not shift during the marathon training although fitness increased massively.
    For me anyway this shows that exercise is great/vital for fitness and overall well-being but to shift the pounds you really need to look closely at diet.

Nearly there but getting nervous about the big day. Unfortunately I have to travel back to donegal after the run but Mcgrattens sounds lovely. Guinness is probaly a great recovery drink

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Was thinking the same myself and then stumbled upon this thread. Might follow the plans in it for a while and try a few shorter races again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well I've got into this running lark so much I decided to set up a club at work. Have just ordered our first batch of gear and now looking forward to participating in as many BHAA events as possible through the winter and next season. Might also join a local club to work on speed , maybe just going down 1 night a week for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

RedRunner wrote: »
    Well I've got into this running lark so much I decided to set up a club at work. Have just ordered our first batch of gear and now looking forward to participating in as many BHAA events as possible through the winter and next season. Might also join a local club to work on speed , maybe just going down 1 night a week for starters.

we do the bhaa in our place also but haven't entered any yet as wanted to stick to training plan as plenty of time to do them races next year. not mad into cross country

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mrs Noc

Don't worry about it, don't let it knock you. We're out of rhythm, everyone's talking about being tired and injured. We'll get our mojo back next week.

Well said RunningKing. My knees have been given me grief this week and I've had a bit of a cold (taper madness setting in!?!) so I took it very handy yesterday.

I'm wondering about the day after the DCM as I'm meant to be going to Limerick: see family who can't make it to Dublin (too old). I'm in Ireland for a week and had planned on hiring a car. However, I'm not sure if I'll be in any state to drive on Tuesday and my husband will have gone back to work in London. I'm tempted to get the train but that might just be a hassle as I'd still have to get to the station with luggage and 2 kids. Maybe I'll just go on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Completed my 12 mile lsr in a horrible wet Dublin early this morning. Even managed to convince my training partner to come as well. Felt a bit guilty when he got runners nipple after a few miles though! Very funny seeing the looks of people later on in the run on the way back looking at his bloody chest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Thats been on my mind for ages as well - I've got a lot of next year planned already as I really need the targets / goals to keep motivated.

So far I've entered the Malta Half at the end February (a friend has moved there so thats why I picked it, ryanair flight @ €105!)
    Then I'm going to do the Belfast Marathon at the beginning of May and I've entered the Sprint Triathlon for TriAthy on the June bank holiday.

Then its the race series and another DCM or perhaps some other 26.2 in another city.

My wife is laughing at me given that I've entered all these before I've even crossed the DCM start line!

Goals this year were to learn to train, get off the butt and get out there. Next year is to build on that and learn to train smartly, build in speed work etc.

Basically, this year I've learned to become a runner, next year I want to learn to be a better runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Not a good day at the running office yesterday, planned to do 12, headed home after 4, first time ever that's happened and so close to the end it was a confidence knock. Legs just wouldn't warm up, was walking trying to stretch out a tight muscles at a mile, walked up my usual hill, I haven't walked up that since April. Anyway not good, everything hurt a lot more than it should so I threw in the towel. On analysing why things were wrong, I went out after work for a few drinks on Thurs which I never do and then I'd no dinner on Friday night, have been neglecting my foam rolling all week too. I think I was equating taper with anything goes now, was wrong, will live a clean and healthy life now for a few days and give it another bash. Great running by everyone else.

I was the same for about 2 weeks, completely lost my running mojo and seriously doubted if I could complete DCM. I ignored the plan and just went out for a couple of 5 mile runs to get some time out and slowly built myself back up again, I think it was a combination of fatigue & nerves. I was really worried, but it passed and actually reading the stories here gave me a lot of encouragement.

They're good people you know! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

13 mile lsr ran in 2 hours or so. was going grand on the first 9 miles which were fairly flat but the last 4 miles home were all up hill and took an age to get through.
    Ive been struggling the last 3 weeks as ive been up in dublin 4 times a week for a course and its the same for the next 2 weeks so have been struggling to run any distance on those days.
    Only issue i have is fueling myself when i run. keep meaning to go out and buy some gels but for some reason never do

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

joe40 wrote: »
    Was actually giving this a bit of thought on my 12 mile run on sat also. I hope to not fall into the trap of a few weeks off ater the marathon, then Christmas is looming too much eating/drinking etc and suddenly find it's January and all the good work of the last few months has been undone.
    I really don't think that will happen and fully intend to keep up some type of regular running but with shorter distances and try to increase speed.
    It has been really amazing how the running distances have built up but I have found with all the running other forms of exercise that i enjoy such as cycling, hill walking, gym have all stopped so I hope to find more time for other activities.
    As for marathon training will see how this one goes first but they are big undertakings and do take over your life to a certain extent for 4 months or so.
    Thankfully so far I have been very lucky with injuries but If I was to go again for marathon I would really work on weight loss before starting the big miles. I am Mprobably carrying stone and a half excess baggage which surprisingly did not
    shift during the marathon training although fitness increased massively.
    For me anyway this shows that exercise is great/vital for fitness and overall well-being but to shift the pounds you really need to look closely at diet.
    Nearly there but getting nervous about the big day. Unfortunately I have to travel back to donegal after the run but Mcgrattens sounds lovely. Guinness is probaly a great recovery drink

Im in the same boat Joe. Only started running in feb/march this year to lose weight. Had lost about a stone up to then walking but think I was about 97 kg in march. Down to 86 kg now but have run 750 miles since march so that is not a lot of weight loss given the effort! That said my body shape has changed hugely where , neck size, waist line etc. However to be running these distances with a bit of comfort ! I would need to shed another stone. Could not do this during this marathon training as I eat like a horse after long runs etc and as I have almost cut out alcohol and socialising I have to keep something to look forward to!
    I was wondering if I tried to shorten my runs after dcm and increase speed would the intensity level increase and lead to more weight loss. I could then attempt another marathon next year and have less weight to carry. What plans/advice do any others have to try and shed more weight if they haven't moved it as much as they expected during recent months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'd have thought tomred1N that longer distances at slow pace would be the way to burn fat - I've certainly never sweated running quickly as much as I have running slowly for this marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I think its better to lose the weight slowly. I know it feels like you're not getting anywhere but its more likely to stay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

tomred1N wrote: »
    joe40 wrote: »
    Thankfully so far I have been very lucky with injuries but If I was to go again for marathon I would really work on weight loss before starting the big miles. I am Mprobably carrying stone and a half excess baggage which surprisingly did not
    shift during the marathon training although fitness increased massively.

Im in the same boat Joe. Only started running in feb/march this year to lose weight. Had lost about a stone up to then walking but think I was about 97 kg in march. Down to 86 kg now but have run 750 miles since march so that is not a lot of weight loss given the effort! That said my body shape has changed hugely where , neck size, waist line etc. However to be running these distances with a bit of comfort ! I would need to shed another stone. Could not do this during this marathon training as I eat like a horse after long runs etc and as I have almost cut out alcohol and socialising I have to keep something to look forward to!
    I was wondering if I tried to shorten my runs after dcm and increase speed would the intensity level increase and lead to more weight loss. I could then attempt another marathon next year and have less weight to carry. What plans/advice do any others have to try and shed more weight if they haven't moved it as much as they expected during recent months.
    Well apparently high intensity workouts is the way to lose weight, that means getting your heart rate way up at max for short bursts n to vary the workouts so as to trick ur body as it becomes accustomed to same routine very quickly. High intensity workouts like max speed sessions cause a lot of calories to burn up over 24-48 hours n not just during the workout. Also weights etc build more muscle n therefore burns more calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Got my 12m complete yesterday with no drama. Went for a gentle cycle this morning and brought the dog for a walk this afternoon, now my left knee is tweaking me a little, just above the kneecap. Gonna rest it and hope for the best. I'd be pretty peeved if I were to have a problem now.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

12miles also done this evening in the drizzle, actually love those conditions when running, keeps ya nice and cool.

Wouldnt mind that come Marathon day.

Legs started to get tired after 7 miles, that's what i get for playing a round of golf yesterday and this morning! :rolleyes:

Feet up now for next 2 weeks, no golf, no drink, no fun. This marathon better be worth it!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

blockic wrote: »
    12miles also done this evening in the drizzle, actually love those conditions when running, keeps ya nice and cool.

Wouldnt mind that come Marathon day.

Legs started to get tired after 7 miles, that's what i get for playing a round of golf yesterday and this morning! :rolleyes:

Feet up now for next 2 weeks, no golf, no drink, no fun. This marathon better be worth it!:)
    Get thee a dog....

bernard-schoenbaum-dog-holding-paper-smoking-pipe-wearing-slippers-cartoon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dessierb

Hi guys, my situation is slightly different. 25 days ago i did 21.5 miles in 3 hours comfortable. Everything was going great. Then i got floored with a virus and to cut a long story short and many antibiotics later today was my first run since then. 7 miles no drama but i have no intention of tapering down now but don't want to do too much either. I am bricking DCM due to the long lay off. I was aiming for 3.30 but i figure thats out the window now. Can anyone help with the next 2 weeks training. I was thinking 2x 7 miles tomorrow. Morning and evening. 13 Wed, and 18 Fri/Sat. then maybe 2 x 10 following week....Am i crazy. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

dessierb wrote: »
    Hi guys, my situation is slightly different. 25 days ago i did 21.5 miles in 3 hours comfortable. Everything was going great. Then i got floored with a virus and to cut a long story short and many antibiotics later today was my first run since then. 7 miles no drama but i have no intention of tapering down now but don't want to do too much either. I am bricking DCM due to the long lay off. I was aiming for 3.30 but i figure thats out the window now. Can anyone help with the next 2 weeks training. I was thinking 2x 7 miles tomorrow. Morning and evening. 13 Wed, and 18 Fri/Sat. then maybe 2 x 10 following week....Am i crazy. Thanks.

hate to say it, but you're crazy! 13 and 18 in the same week two weeks before the marathon is madness IMO.

And two 7 milers in one day I wouldnt advise also, you could risk getting injured doing that much in a short timespan.

If you dont want to taper, i'd say keep the runs below 7 on midweek and do a 14miler instead of 18 this weekend, maybe one 10 as a long run next week...but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Willie42 wrote: »
    Hi All

I suffer with ITB too so I feel your frustration. I find dry needle therapy fantastic. I havnt looked back since I started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Got my 12m complete yesterday with no drama. Went for a gentle cycle this morning and brought the dog for a walk this afternoon, now my left knee is tweaking me a little, just above the kneecap. Gonna rest it and hope for the best. I'd be pretty peeved if I were to have a problem now.:(

Don't know if this is of any help, but I had the same thing and it was after cycling as well. Put it down to the quads doing more work for the cycling, getting tight and pulling a bit on the knee.

Advertisement