Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dessierb

blockic wrote: »
    hate to say it, but you're crazy! 13 and 18 in the same week two weeks before the marathon is madness IMO.

And two 7 milers in one day I wouldnt advise also, you could risk getting injured doing that much in a short timespan.

If you dont want to taper, i'd say keep the runs below 7 on midweek and do a 14miler instead of 18 this weekend, maybe one 10 as a long run next week...but that's just me.

My head is all over the place on this one. I'm terrified all my work will grind to a hault at 20 miles. No injuries at all, legs were going like a train before illness. And this is my first 26.2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

dessierb wrote: »
    Hi guys, my situation is slightly different. 25 days ago i did 21.5 miles in 3 hours comfortable. Everything was going great. Then i got floored with a virus and to cut a long story short and many antibiotics later today was my first run since then. 7 miles no drama but i have no intention of tapering down now but don't want to do too much either. I am bricking DCM due to the long lay off. I was aiming for 3.30 but i figure thats out the window now. Can anyone help with the next 2 weeks training. I was thinking 2x 7 miles tomorrow. Morning and evening. 13 Wed, and 18 Fri/Sat. then maybe 2 x 10 following week....Am i crazy. Thanks.

Take a chill pill :D If you do as planned above you will likely get another injury.

I'm just back from 3 weeks off myself. You'll only take a week to get rid of the rust. Have a normal week this week and maybe try 16 at the weekend. If it feels good push it to 18 at a stretch then take the week before the marathon very easy.

Assess how you feel after the long run at the weekend and if you have to drop your target a little so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

upthe19th wrote: »
    Don't know if this is of any help, but I had the same thing and it was after cycling as well. Put it down to the quads doing more work for the cycling, getting tight and pulling a bit on the knee.

Forgot to add that I got some good advice from the guy in the bike shop who services my bike...he told me to keep the bike in a high gear. It keeps the legs spinning and keeps the pressure off the leg muscles, especially at the back of the knee. The legs will build up over time and injury hopefully kept at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Agree with you, took me a few months to get going again last year. Mainly because I had no plan. Then I took to working on 5k/10k specific training and loved the shorter, faster stuff. Really gave me a great base for the longer stuff.

Regarding the board support, I agree, maybe we all need to set up our own log, or maybe we all should start a 'DCM survivors log' !!

Thats exactly what we did last year. take a look and whats more Ecoli gave us weekly training plans for a race. We picked a 5m race in Jan, he gave us weekly plans and whoever could run it did, so, next was 10k race and so on and he is now doing the sae for the marathon.
    Worth thinking about or joing that thread and we'll keep it alive!!! its easy get the title changed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

upthe19th wrote: »
    Forgot to add that I got some good advice from the guy in the bike shop who services my bike...he told me to keep the bike in a high gear. It keeps the legs spinning and keeps the pressure off the leg muscles, especially at the back of the knee. The legs will build up over time and injury hopefully kept at bay.

Thanks for that - I was cycling differently today alright. I normally go by myself and burst it out of it - flat to the mat, as high a gear as possible. Today I was with a guy from work who, to be fair, wouldn't be ready to run a marathon any time soon (says he hoping to God those words don't come back to hanunt him!). So I was crawling in a low gear most of the time, just trying to keep upright..

Anyway, hopefully it won't be a problem.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,
    I know lots of you are tired at the moment and some of you are starting to feel refreshed but here are a few pointers. I know i have said some of it before but no harm in reiterating it :D

this is taper time and this means that people will start panicking about the marathon and if they have enough training done etc.
    In the last two weeks before the marathon, nothing you can do will make yourself any fitter. Your aerobic capacity, ability to burn fat, basic muscle strength, none of this is going to get any better. All you can do in this period is recover - let your muscles rebuild after the exertions of the training program, let your energy stores get back to normal.

Remember, all your runs should still be done at the normal pace and the long runs should still be run at LSR pace. Don't start running faster because you're runningshorter distances.

So in Taper -less is more.

Now I know I have being saying that the first marathon is all about the experience but it isa good idea to have a target finish time. The best way to run a marathon is to run a consistent pace from the first mile to the last - or even slightly faster in the second half of the race. You don't want to go out too fast at the beginning. You can't 'bank' time in the first half of the race - it will cost you more time in the second half. You should run at the same speed from the start. It will feel easy at the start, but it's supposed to.

There are a few different ways to estimate your finish time
    the McMillancalculator - enter your time from another race and it will estimate a marathon time ( but for a first marathon, this is unrealistic, for most)
    take your half marathon time, double it, and add 10%
    multiply your 10k time by 5
    multiple your 10 mile time by 3

These are all just estimates. Your time on the day will depend on how well you've trained, how motivated you are, and the conditions of the race.

Since this is your first marathon, you should be a little conservative. You will have plenty of other races where you can chase your best possible time, using what you've learned from this race. For your first time out, try to enjoy yourself - which may mean running a few seconds per mile slower than you think you're capable of.

There will be pace groups running at 3.00, 3.15, 3.30, 3.45, 4.00, 4.15, 4.30,and 5.00. Running in one of these groups can help you keep your pace controlled in the early miles, and maybe drag you along through the tougher miles. Or you can run at your own pace, marking time with your own pace band.

So, what's your target time?

Just to reiterate that McMillan is optimistic for the marathon, especially for your first. 2 x your half time plus 10% is more realistic

Work out what your target time is, and plan to run, from the start, at the pace that will see you hit your target time. Don't plan to run faster at the end, because you might not be able to. Pick the pace that, if you run consistently from start to finish, will get you to your target. For some of you this will be the LSR pace you have been running at for the past few weeks. This is fine, you know you will be able to do this.

On the day itself, keep that consistent pace up until at least 20 miles. At that point, if you feel good and if you feel you can, start to speed up slightly. But any time you save here is a bonus. It means you get in 2 minutes under your target rather than30 seconds under. You should not rely on this fast finish, because it mighttake everything you have to hold on to your regular pace

To save exploding head problems on race day itself, everyone should print out a pace band (or get one from the pacers' stand at the Expo, if you are running one of those times)

A pace band is a ribbon of paper that you wrap around your wrist (covered in sellotape so it doesn't disintegrate in sweat) If you print a pace band for four hours, for example (and in miles, since Dublin has mile markers) it will say
    Mile 1: 9.09
    Mile 2: 18.18
    Mile 3: 27.27
    and so on.

Every time you get to a mile marker you look at your watch and look at yourpace band, and you can see if you are on target or not. No need for any complicated multiplication (trust me, it will feel complicated), just compare the time on your watch to the time on the pace band.

The make or break miles in a marathon are miles 1 - 6. It is very easy to get caught up with the excitement and adrenalin on the day that you burn off way too much energy and pay for it in the last 10K.
    Miles 18-21 are where you realise that you were going too fast in miles 1-6 It's where people drop off the pace/start walking/give up, but the damage was done earlier. Don't be one of those people....;) Keep believing in your ability to get comfortably around and you will!!!

Week 17 - Nearly there!!!!

Mon | Tues | Wed | Thur | Fri | Sat | Sun | Total
    Rest |4m/6k | 6m/10k | 3m/5k | rest |8m/13K |Cross | 21m/34K

You should be feeling a little less tired now, and even better by the end of this week.
    But don't worry if your legs still feel heavy and you still have aches and pains and twinges. This is all perfectly normal.
    And if your legs don't feel heavy, and you don't have any twinges - that doesn't mean you should go out and do some faster miles.
    Stick to the plan. Take it easy. Keep the pace down.

(If you want a bit of variety, do some strides at the end of your midweek run)

Keep the nevers intact, don;'t worry about the taper madness and post your weird dreams here for us all to share;)[/SIZE][/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Gavlor wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^
    What happened to taking the month off the beer?! Am I the only sucker that does this

Oh but I wish I had stuck to it yesterday morning... Managed to stay sober for girls night out and work do but made the fateful mistake of thinking 'oh I'll just have a bit of wine with the meal, sure aren't we celebrating', 2 hours later and I'm leading the bridal party in the macarena dance, eek.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

FiiFii wrote: »
    2 hours later and I'm leading the bridal party in the macarena dance, eek.....

Ok...you've just nominated yourself as the after party leader on the 29th! :p

Great advice Anne.

For those of you printing pace bands, these are normally also available at the expo at the 'meet the pacers' stand.

If you are using a pace band and GPS, bear in mind that the course is very crowded (you all saw that video right?) so you will likely run more than 26.2 miles according to your GPS watch. Most likely you will run 26.4-26.5 miles so pace off the mile markers rather than the distance on your Garmin.

That said some of the mile markers are a bit out. In DCM the 1 mile marker is well before a mile (about 0.85 miles) and for some reason the 2 mile marker is longer than 2 miles (likely down to there being nowhere else to 'plant' the markers in the ground) so don't panic. Once you get into the park around mile 5/6 the mile markers start to even out.

If you are following a pace group though just don't worry about it, let the pacers do the maths :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

blockic wrote: »
    FiiFii wrote: »
    2 hours later and I'm leading the bridal party in the macarena dance, eek.....

Ok...you've just nominated yourself as the after party leader on the 29th! :p

There'd be some 'interesting' dance moves that day after everyone's legs seize up... I'm thinking the 'robot' is the best approach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I'm starting to freakout already with 2 weeks left about my timing / pace. On top of that I'm thinking of changing my unit of measure on my Garmin from km to miles for the last 2 weeks. My head is spinning here, trying different calculators. If I want to do a 4:15 my pace should be 6:03min/km , I'm right are'nt I?

My 32.5 km LSR last week was 5:37 min/km average pace and I felt fine after it. I should make a 4:15 should'nt I? I just need somebody to tell me yes..... I love running so much but I hate all this mind crap I have to deal with

I'm starting to freakout already with 2 weeks left about my timing / pace. On top of that I'm thinking of changing my unit of measure on my Garmin from km to miles for the last 2 weeks. My head is spinning here, trying different calculators. If I want to do a 4:15 my pace should be 6:03min/km , I'm right are'nt I?

My 32.5 km LSR last week was 5:37 min/km average pace and I felt fine after it. I should make a 4:15 should'nt I? I just need somebody to tell me yes..... I love running so much but I hate all this mind crap I have to deal with

If your 32.5km LSR pace was 5.37/km you should really be thinking of sub 4 rather than sub 4.15.

4hr pace is 5:42/km.

If you can get to 20 miles in 3hrs (as you have already done in training) then you would leave yourself 75minutes for the last 10k to still make 4:15 (that's 7.5 min/km or walking pace). You may as well go for sub 4 because even if you completely blow up (unlikely) you will still get well under sub 4:15.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

menoscemo wrote: »
    If your 32.5km LSR pace was 5.37/km you should really be thinking of sub 4 rather than sub 4.15.

4hr pace is 5:42/km.

If you can get to 20 miles in 3hrs (as you have already done in training) then you would leave yourself 75minutes for the last 10k to still make 4:15 (that's 7.5 min/km or walking pace). You may as well go for sub 4 because even if you completely blow up (unlikely) you will still get well under sub 4:15.

Awww Jebus , just when I was getting my brain settled you drop a bomb like that. When I think about it, what you said could very well be the best piece of advice anybody has ever given me. If I do it on the day I'll dedicate my run to you..

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

So I'm all set to taper now after completing my 20 miles. However, it was pretty much torture to be honest, although I kept to my same running speed. The reason was blisters, those little feckers still thwart me after a certain distance. I've tried everything; compeed, running socks, blister gel.

Now I can run with blisters, but as you know it's absolutely painful, and it's enough for me to just concentrate on keeping going. I heard that putting duct tape around the suspected area is a (short term) solution to guarantee I will get through a race blister-free. Can anyone attest to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Ran my 20km LSR this morning in the pissing rain. It was cold and miserable and my legs never warmed up. My lovely 2 month old Samsung Galaxy S2 phone that I use to run Runkeeper for my runs got soaked even though I had it sealed in a plastic bag in the pocket of a rain jacket. I'll be lost without Runkeeper. I'm now trying to install Runkeeper on a 4 year old Nokia 5800. Fingers crossed I get in working by Tuesday evening for my next run. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

Save you all googling after the race

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51152/Post-Marathon-Zero-Week-Training-Program

I find it easier to get into a pace and keep running as it can be hard to speed up after running at a pace for x time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Heading out shortly for a I don't know how long run.

I've had a painful ankle and leg since Saturdays 7 miles. Was hoping to do 14-16 miles today so I'd have a semblance of a long run done closer to race day. My longest run to date was 16 miles but that was 6 weeks ago now. I don't think that I will be able for that kind of distance on the leg now without heading into needs a few weeks to recover territory. Today though is the last day to do any kind of higher mileage as I need to get a bit of taper in before the big day. I have to say at this stage with all stubborness aside I am getting very frustrated with things.

Will head out and see how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

I've made out my hydrating stratgey below for the marathon and calculated the calories I'll be consuming during the race with my total calorie intake at 413. Because we run out of energy (glycogen) around the 20 mile mark how many calories should we be consuming during the race. My kinetica gels only have 80cals compared to powerbar 110cals and powerade only has 17cals/100ml compared to lucozade sport 28cals/100ml so is 413cals intake too low for the marathon??
    I could change to lucozade sport as I have also used this on some runs but I was going with powerade due to the added electrolytes but will 44 extra cals really make that much difference??
    I realise I'm probably over analysing (aka being a bit of an anorak) but I just want to cover all bases.

Tanx.:confused:
    HYDRATING STRATEGY
    MILE STATION INTAKE CALORIE INTAKE

3 Water Powerade (100ml) 17

6 Water Gel & Water 80

9 Water & Sports Powerade (100ml) 17

12 Water & Sports Gel & Water 80

15 Water Powerade (100ml) 17

17 Water Gel & Water 80

18.5 Water & Sports Spar Sports Drink (100ml) 25

21 Water Gel & Water 80

22.5 Water Powerade (100ml) 17

25 Water Water
    Total 413

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Mornin’ all, can you believe this time two weeks, we’ll be on the way… gulp :eek:

Bit of a disaster of a weekend, not babysitting wise, returned all 4 children to my sister in one piece and nary a scratch on them, and I even managed to leave without kidnapping the cherubic 5 month old!

No, disaster running wise, I had already missed one 5 mile run last week due to being tired after the 20 miles on Sunday, but I was all ready to head out for 12 miles yesterday morning, when my stand in babysitter had an emergency and I couldn’t get out! I didn’t get home last night til 9pm, and after the weekend of babysitting and a 3 ½ hour drive home, I just couldn’t summon up the energy at that stage. So the princely total of miles run last week is 9 :o

Now, I know it’s a terrible idea to carry forward mileage at this stage, so, I have two options, the first is just forget about the missed runs and move on and finish the programme, or the second is to push all my runs out by one day. So do the 12 miles this evening, then the 3 short runs Wed/Thurs/Fri and then do my 8 miles next Monday instead of over the weekend.

Is this just taper madness even thinking about it? I don’t get home til 6.30 this evening, so 12 miles would involve a lot of slogging round in the dark, but as someone said last week, you have to pay the ferryman!

So what do you think? Forget about it at this stage, or try and fit it in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Hi Ecoenergy,

You don't simply run out of Glycogen at 20 miles, what you have is a limited amount of Glycogen that you can store in the body and that will only get you so far but your long runs over the last few months will have been training your body to burn fat as fuel too.

Let's say you didn't do this and ran DCM, you would be burning Glycogen almost totally at the beginning of the race meaning you'd run out of fuel very quickly, by burning fat as well as Glycogen from the start (Let's say 10% fat and 90% glycogen) you push out the point where your glycogen reserves deplete, add a few gels and some sports drink and you get from A to B.

ncmc wrote: »
    Mornin’ all, can you believe this time two weeks, we’ll be on the way… gulp :eek:

Bit of a disaster of a weekend, not babysitting wise, returned all 4 children to my sister in one piece and nary a scratch on them, and I even managed to leave without kidnapping the cherubic 5 month old!

No, disaster running wise, I had already missed one 5 mile run last week due to being tired after the 20 miles on Sunday, but I was all ready to head out for 12 miles yesterday morning, when my stand in babysitter had an emergency and I couldn’t get out! I didn’t get home last night til 9pm, and after the weekend of babysitting and a 3 ½ hour drive home, I just couldn’t summon up the energy at that stage. So the princely total of miles run last week is 9 :o

Now, I know it’s a terrible idea to carry forward mileage at this stage, so, I have two options, the first is just forget about the missed runs and move on and finish the programme, or the second is to push all my runs out by one day. So do the 12 miles this evening, then the 3 short runs Wed/Thurs/Fri and then do my 8 miles next Monday instead of over the weekend.

Is this just taper madness even thinking about it? I don’t get home til 6.30 this evening, so 12 miles would involve a lot of slogging round in the dark, but as someone said last week, you have to pay the ferryman!

18 weeks x 4 days training p/w = 72 runs, you've missed 1 ;), forget about it and move on, the work is done, taper is just about fine tuning and recovery. Best of luck.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    18 weeks x 4 days training p/w = 72 runs, you've missed 1 ;), forget about it and move on, the work is done, taper is just about fine tuning and recovery. Best of luck.
    Thanks Mr Slow, well i've missed a bit more than one, but have stuck 98% to the plan :o

It's definitely taper madness, I was awake during the night figuring out how I could cram the missed runs in! Could be a long 2 weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

ncmc wrote: »

Hands up....i said that....but not at 7pm....in the dark......in the middle of taper :p

Listen to Mr. Slow and forget about it.....he is the voice of reason:D:D:D

Listen to Mr. Slow and forget about it.....he is the voice of reason:D:D:D

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Don't say that out loud, you'll scare people.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Went out for 6 miles on Friday,felt okish but not flying it either - have to say I felt a bit sluggish from the start but thawed out as the run went on. I then went for 12 miles yesterday morning & it was basically more of the same - the only difference was that I was actually thawing when I finished - its really getting cold out there these mornings or else were starting to complain too much:eek::eek: I know that we have to give our bodies & legs time to rest & feeling tired is normal but its still hard to figure out how I felt better after 20 miles last week than I did after 12 yesterday:eek::eek::eek:Anyway, its really getting to be squeeky bum time, one minute I'm thinking yeah bring it on get me to the start line NOW:eek: & the next I'm saying what the hell are you doing - its going to be a looooooonnggg two weeks:eek::eek:
    The two things that have really struck me in the past week is that I have loads of time on my hands since the milegae dropped & even though people are not saying it I must be boring the hell out of them talking about running:D:D

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Oh Christ! I have every single one of those symptoms :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

I'm freaking out a bit today.

Did my 20 miler last weekend - Athlone 3/4, but have not been the same since.. left knee constantly feels swollen, but no pain

Went out with the intention of doing 12 miles yesterday.. after about 8 miles.. real discomfort in my left hip and above left knee-cap.

I have not even had a niggle for the first 6 months training.. so I dont really want to go to physio, as I think it could cause more trouble than its worth..

Thinking of just resting up until the big day..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

My head is starting to get wrecked about pace, can anybody give me some advice??

Have followed HHN2 religously until I got sick a few weeks ago and missed all of both the step back weeks (13 and 12 miles) however have done all of the other LSRs. Originally hoping for 4hours so all pace runs were around 9 min miles and LSR's were around 10:20 and average LSR heart rate was around 135-140bpm (I'm 35 and a big enough fella).

Have revised my target to 4:15 now and was wondering what should I be aiming for regarding heart rate? Taper madness is kicking in now and I'm concerned that my LSR's werent slow enough for my revised marathon pace

Advertisement