Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭elPadrino

I'm starting to freakout already with 2 weeks left about my timing / pace. On top of that I'm thinking of changing my unit of measure on my Garmin from km to miles for the last 2 weeks. My head is spinning here, trying different calculators. If I want to do a 4:15 my pace should be 6:03min/km , I'm right are'nt I?

My 32.5 km LSR last week was 5:37 min/km average pace and I felt fine after it. I should make a 4:15 should'nt I? I just need somebody to tell me yes..... I love running so much but I hate all this mind crap I have to deal with
    menoscemo wrote: »
    If your 32.5km LSR pace was 5.37/km you should really be thinking of sub 4 rather than sub 4.15.

4hr pace is 5:42/km.

If you can get to 20 miles in 3hrs (as you have already done in training) then you would leave yourself 75minutes for the last 10k to still make 4:15 (that's 7.5 min/km or walking pace). You may as well go for sub 4 because even if you completely blow up (unlikely) you will still get well under sub 4:15.

Like everyone else, I seem to be spending a lot of time thinking about my pace. My LSR pace had been around 5:50/km for most of the training plan. Then, for the last LSR, two weekends ago, I covered 32.5 kms at around 5:28/km. Included in this was most of the Marathon course on the southside of the river. I was fairly comfortable and the run was fairly even-paced. What kind of pace should I be aiming for on the day??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

SnailsPace wrote: »
    I'm freaking out a bit today.

Did my 20 miler last weekend - Athlone 3/4, but have not been the same since.. left knee constantly feels swollen, but no pain

Went out with the intention of doing 12 miles yesterday.. after about 8 miles.. real dicomfort in my left hip and above left knee-cap.

I have not even had a niggle for the first 6 months training.. so I dont really want to go to physio, as I think it could cause more trouble than its worth..

Thinking of just resting up until the big day..

The miles are probably just starting to take a toll, Ive been having similar niggles for quite a while now and I have found that rest is the best cure for me. Take it easy for the next 2 weeks, stretch every day and nice easy runs will see you at the start line fit and rested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

elPadrino wrote: »
    Like everyone else, I seem to be spending a lot of time thinking about my pace. My LSR pace had been around 5:50/km for most of the training plan. Then, for the last LSR, two weekends ago, I covered 32.5 kms at around 5:28/km. Included in this was most of the Marathon course on the southside of the river. I was fairly comfortable and the run was fairly even-paced. What kind of pace should I be aiming for on the day??

Didn't you break 1:40 for the half recently? That would be the biggest indicator...
    However if you are running 5:28/km over 32.5 km fairly comfortably I would imagine that 3:45ish would be a good target? (5:20/km). Does that sound about right?

Look it's really up to you, you could easily just go for 4hrs and enjoy yourself/not risk anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭elPadrino

menoscemo wrote: »
    Didn't you break 1:40 for the half recently? That would be the biggest indicator...
    However if you are running 5:28/km over 32.5 km fairly comfortably I would imagine that 3:45ish would be a good target? (5:20/km). Does that sound about right?

Look it's really up to you, you could easily just go for 4hrs and enjoy yourself/not risk anything...

Yeah I did the half in 1:39 even. I was thinking that 3:45 would be just about right for me but just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Heading out shortly for a I don't know how long run.

I've had a painful ankle and leg since Saturdays 7 miles. Was hoping to do 14-16 miles today so I'd have a semblance of a long run done closer to race day. My longest run to date was 16 miles but that was 6 weeks ago now. I don't think that I will be able for that kind of distance on the leg now without heading into needs a few weeks to recover territory. Today though is the last day to do any kind of higher mileage as I need to get a bit of taper in before the big day. I have to say at this stage with all stubborness aside I am getting very frustrated with things.

Will head out and see how things go.

Not too well as it turned out.

Right calf muscle (opposite leg to the suspected stress fracture) started off tight and got tighter and tighter. Tried stretching it out but no joy. It felt like a balloon on the verge of popping. Abandoned ship at 5k. Can't risk it at this stage but am now very uncomfortable with the lack of prep. I'm due back at physio on Wednesday so will get her to take a look at the calf. It's more than likely just a case of too much too soon whilst coming back from a lay off but time is something I don't have enough of to hold back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

Mr Slow wrote: »

What about a few miles run seems like a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

So I got the Electrolyte tablets in the end (Endurolyte brand), popped one in my water bottle and set off on my 12 mile LSR yesterday. I can honestly say it was the first time I've completed a run over 10 miles with that "I could easily keep running" feeling.. So I'm thinking that it's either:
    a) The reduced milage last week made me feel fresh as a daisy
    b) Placebo effect
    c) I have low sodium levels
    Whatever it is, I was VERY happy to not get that familiar headache/weak/nausea feeling on a long run!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Not too well as it turned out.

Right calf muscle (opposite leg to the suspected stress fracture) started off tight and got tighter and tighter. Tried stretching it out but no joy. It felt like a balloon on the verge of popping. Abandoned ship at 5k. Can't risk it at this stage but am now very uncomfortable with the lack of prep. I'm due back at physio on Wednesday so will get her to take a look at the calf. It's more than likely just a case of too much too soon whilst coming back from a lay off but time is something I don't have enough of to hold back.

PM I had exactly this last week. The calf opposite to my sprained ankle got painfully tight. I got a foam roller but the real solution was dry needling at physio. Apparently I was subconsciously over-compensating on the good side and that caused the calf problems. The dry needling is painful stuff but did the trick. Good luck with physio :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lola27

Trampas wrote: »
    Save you all googling after the race

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51152/Post-Marathon-Zero-Week-Training-Program

I find it easier to get into a pace and keep running as it can be hard to speed up after running at a pace for x time

Thats v helpful thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Only did last weekend's 12m LSR today, and wore those magical x-something-or-other socks that I usually only wear for short runs as they give me blisters (despite their wonder-claims :rolleyes:) on long runs. This shows a change in mentality that I wasn't considering 12m a long run! :P

As I should have expected, came home with blisters in both my usual LSR hotspots. :mad: Got a clean pin out to pop them & got a bit curious as to why the worse one felt fluidy but there seemed to be nothing in it. :confused: Well I'm too nosey for my own good & went exploring to discover I have Russian Doll style blisters! A big one with a medium one in it, with a smaller one under that, and so on until I hit bone! :eek: (Well perhaps not...) Think I'll be going around barefoot for the next 2 weeks :(

I am so stupid, I could have left the investigations until after the marathon as I'm just so used to running on these blisters now. Oh well, any tips on super-speedy healing would be welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

ncmc wrote: »
    Oh Christ! I have every single one of those symptoms :eek::eek::eek:
    Aw thats disappointing - i don't have any! And I was looking forward to a bit of taper madness :mad:

Oh well there's always next week I suppose...........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Oh well, any tips on super-speedy healing would be welcome!

As you wish!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Mr Slow wrote: »

Had my second marathon dream last night, again something happened to delay me on the course, they wouldn't let me start again :D I had stopped the garmin for whatever the delay was, so I knew my "real" time, but was worrying people would be looking up my chip time and think I did crap. Ha ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Ah, today was my last run over 20kms before the big day :D

No problems at all, and I really am chomping at the bit now !

Decided to give today's run a good blast to finally help me make up my mind on the marathon pace issue.
    Although I felt grand, I'm not going to run that fast for the main event.
    I hope to slot in with Meno and the gang and have a bash at 3:45.

Here is today's run :-

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/233699998 (27km, average 5:03 per km)

And my last 20+ miler last week, (which nearly killed me)

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/231992405 (34km, average 5:31 per km)

Time to wind it down now and get to the start line fresh as a daisy.

Good luck to all over the next couple of weeks, do nothing stupid :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Aw thats disappointing - i don't have any! And I was looking forward to a bit of taper madness :mad:

Oh well there's always next week I suppose...........:D
    Hmmm, I wonder would Mr Career Move agree that you have none of the symptoms :cool:

Be afraid, be very afraid, it's highly contagious and it's sweeping around this thread like a bad case of the clap :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Haha :D There is no Mr Career move. Only a baby Career Move but she lives out in the field!!!

[EMAIL="http://www.irishracing.com/v5newsitem?prid=49185"]http://www.irishracing.com/v5newsitem?prid=49185[/EMAIL]

Haha :D There is no Mr Career move. Only a baby Career Move but she lives out in the field!!!

http://www.irishracing.com/v5newsitem?prid=49185
    Aha! Was wondering were the user name came from ;)

I think Mr ncmc wishes there wasn't a Mr ncmc at the moment :D I'm driving him mental :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

[EMAIL="http://www.irishracing.com/v5newsitem?prid=49185"]http://www.irishracing.com/v5newsitem?prid=49185[/EMAIL]

Your a lady of many talents career_move, fair play. Looking after horses & marathon training cant be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

I'm 100% suffering from taper madness :) I'm full-time avoiding those who are sniffling etc I'd say my colleagues and famile are dying for it to be over cos that's all I talk about IM OBSESSED !! Keep dreaming about running too 
    Have to say the cut in mileage this week is great. Just wondering is everyone else keeping up gym work/cross training up until the big day? I'm again anxious that I might injury myself in gym 

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

DOCO12 wrote: »
    I'm 100% suffering from taper madness :) I'm full-time avoiding those who are sniffling etc I'd say my colleagues and famile are dying for it to be over cos that's all I talk about IM OBSESSED !! Keep dreaming about running too 
    Have to say the cut in mileage this week is great. Just wondering is everyone else keeping up gym work/cross training up until the big day? I'm again anxious that I might injury myself in gym 

We were supposed to cross train???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

dazza21ie wrote: »

As a break from the running. But TBH often my legs are sorer after a gym class than a run, I do like the social side of it tho. I go just once a week. Have always wanted to get into swimming and cycling but just keep putting it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

Wow, after reading the majority of the posts in the previous pages I now believe that Taper Madness is a genuine illness!!
    I am very happy that I am a slow runner and will follow the 5 hour pace group, no worries about pace and that I will drink water and take 4 gels!
    I am trying to relax over the next 2 weeks and just look forward to the race day; try not to freak out folks if we can't enjoy the result of our hard work then it will be spoiled. Best of luck!

dazza21ie wrote: »
    I’m the same Dazza, I never cross trained, I don’t own a bike, am not a member of a gym and I can’t swim so I was pretty stumped as what to do! I walk the dog most mornings, so I count that as cross training :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ecoenergy wrote: »
    I've made out my hydrating stratgey below for the marathon and calculated the calories I'll be consuming during the race with my total calorie intake at 413. Because we run out of energy (glycogen) around the 20 mile mark how many calories should we be consuming during the race. My kinetica gels only have 80cals compared to powerbar 110cals and powerade only has 17cals/100ml compared to lucozade sport 28cals/100ml so is 413cals intake too low for the marathon??
    I could change to lucozade sport as I have also used this on some runs but I was going with powerade due to the added electrolytes but will 44 extra cals really make that much difference??
    I realise I'm probably over analysing (aka being a bit of an anorak) but I just want to cover all bases.

Tanx.:confused:
    HYDRATING STRATEGY
    MILE STATION INTAKE CALORIE INTAKE

3 Water Powerade (100ml) 17

6 Water Gel & Water 80

9 Water & Sports Powerade (100ml) 17

12 Water & Sports Gel & Water 80

15 Water Powerade (100ml) 17

17 Water Gel & Water 80

18.5 Water & Sports Spar Sports Drink (100ml) 25

21 Water Gel & Water 80

22.5 Water Powerade (100ml) 17

25 Water Water
    Total 413

Are you some kind of camel?! That's alot of water to take over a 4hr(?) period.... when will you have time for running?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gavlor wrote: »
    Are you some kind of camel?! That's alot of water to take over a 4hr(?) period.... when will you have time for running?

+1

You will be sloshing around the place at that rate. I'm probably only going to take on fluids at every second water station..unless I get thirsty. Drink to thirst is the best strategy imo.

Overhydrating is not good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

From what I can gather from the experienced guys:
    1, Gel at 6, 12, 18 and 21
    2, Drink to thirst on the water
    3, Isotonic sports drinks towards the end of the race since they dont get offered anyway on earlier drink stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

rasher_m wrote: »
    3, Isotonic sports drinks towards the end of the race since they dont get offered anyway on earlier drink stations.

thats pretty much it. You'll be sipping water with the gels anyway so there is def no need to drink at every station. Just make sure to drink plenty for the 2 days before and you'll be set up well (except for the 3am toilet breaks!)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

rasher_m wrote: »

+1, but if you haven't taken sports drinks during training might not be the time to try them during the race. Gels + Water + Sports drink all churned up together might have unpleasant results.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

Ah_go_on wrote: »

Taper madness is kicking in now and I'm concerned that my LSR's werent slow enough for my revised marathon pace

I hear you brother. I hear you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

thats pretty much it. You'll be sipping water with the gels anyway so there is def no need to drink at every station. Just make sure to drink plenty for the 2 days before and you'll be set up well (except for the 3am toilet breaks!)

So is it a good idea to skip first station? Avoid the traffic!

Advertisement